• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 (Switch cartridge) requires 16GB download for all features

Pokemaniac

HKG2k1X.jpg

Is that a physical or digital copy? If digital, it would be interesting to see how it breaks things down into game data and update data.

PantsuJo

If I can help you guys, I was at famous Italian retailer (Euronics) just minutes ago and the cover of the game has written "17 GB required".

I don't know where is the truth.

Gamezone

Gold Member
We got our copies in today, and there appears to be another twist to this story:

We're now up to a 24GB download required to play the game.

24 GB download for a physical cartridge? Holy shit.

Have someone actually tested what happens if you skip the download?

Preble

Damn I wanna play this, but what's even the point of waiting for the physical version at this point? It's basically just buying a box with Kyrie Irving on the cover.

Man what a way to shoot yourself in the foot and both limit and piss off your potential audience for this game in the process. This is the sort of shit you pull once the console has been out a few years and people no longer see the purchase of an additional microSD card as a fee of entry.

People just got or are just now getting Switches. They just spent $400 on this thing, and on top of that you expect them to buy a card just to play your bloated unoptimized software? Just no.

weltalldx

I just have to wonder what makes a basketball game on a 720p console require 24GB of data? This file size bloat trend needs to be stopped or at least justified by the developers.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I just have to wonder what makes a basketball game on a 720p console require 24GB of data? This file size bloat trend needs to be stopped or at least justified by the developers.

Agreed, but wasn't the game also released on a DVD for Xbox 360 without an mandatory download? Isn't a DVD 7 GB or something?

EDarkness

Most likely it's the textures and the sheer amount of dialog in the game. Those things eat up a ton of space, and odds are they didn't dial back the texture size that much. Just gonna have to deal with the idea that if you're going to want to play these big games, you're gonna need tons of space.

legend166

I was 98% decided that I was going to buy this game two months ago. Now between the ridiculously horrible microtransaction design and the storage situation, I'm not touching it with a ten foot clown pole.

nampad

So to have a sizable library on your Switch (even when buying physical) you will need to buy a 256 GB card sooner or later?

Ridley327

I don't think many games will do what NBA 2K18 does to be honest.

The only one that's comparable thus far is RE:R Collection, though in that case, you're downloading an entirely different game rather than completing a single one that's on the game card.

EDIT: Well, there's our other game now.

-shadow-

I was 98% decided that I was going to buy this game two months ago. Now between the ridiculously horrible microtransaction design and the storage situation, I'm not touching it with a ten foot clown pole.
Unless more publishers are going to decide to take the cheap road (which in this case really is the cheap road considering the VC and all the other junk), I wouldn't count on it.

Oh come on 2K, atleast use a bigger cartridge!

flohen95

2k are the greediest fuckers in the industry. Good thing I don't really care about Basketball or Wrestling, but it doesn't bode well for potential future endeavours.

Aroll

Physical version has arrived!

Guess what digital owners, I am updating right now. remember how it's been 26 GB this whole time?

Now it's 36.6, downloading a 10.6gb update.

Here's what I don't get: This update was NEVER ANNOUNCED, and it coincides with the release of the physical version of the game (making that NA 24gb download actually viable).

So the question is, why? What the hell are they giving us that's half the size of the game we have been playing since launch?

Ridley327

Guess what digital owners, I am updating right now. remember how it's been 26 GB this whole time?

Here's what I don't get: This update was NEVER ANNOUNCED, and it coincides with the release of the physical version of the game (making that NA 24gb download actually viable).

So the question is, why? What the hell are they giving us that's half the size of the game we have been playing since launch?

Out of curiosity, have you tried to start the game without the update? I'm curious if there's actually anything playable without the download, let alone the update.

ggx2ac

You weren't curious to see if you could play part of the game from the game card without doing any updates?

Aroll

Out of curiosity, have you tried to start the game without the update? I'm curious if there's actually anything playable without the download, let alone the update.

I tried and it told me I needed to update.

I assume this is possible the 1.04 patch, but it's seriously 10.6gbs?

Are these patches normal for a game like this? This game could end up being 200gb before the NBA season is over if that's the case.

This is absolutely insane to see a patch this large coincide with the launch of the physical verison,a nd based on the wording they knew before the NA physical version was being sent out that this patch was landing and going tobe this big.

Aroll

You weren't curious to see if you could play part of the game from the game card without doing any updates?

I own digitally. I was noting that literally today, the same day physical is starting to appear in the wilde, there is a 10.6gb patch for digital owners making the game size jump from 26gb to 36.6, and when I wen tot launch the game without it, it MADE me update it. It wasn't optional.

I've very lucky I had enough space on the internal memory because I installed the game on a single 32gb cartridge.

Gamezone

Gold Member

I`ll be much more fun to see what you get to play without the update, if anything.

Aroll

Have you tested? A physical copy that is unplayable without it?

I don't own a physical copy. I own a digital one. Have since day 1. Today, they forced me to update to continue to play the moment i launched the game.

That`s actually worthy of its own thread if you could provide the evidence.

I wish I was recording it before the update started. It just finished, so I'd have to go try and remove it (which I don't even know if that is possible). But I am sure others will bring this up if it matters to them as much as it matters to me. I wish I was recording before hand. I actually was working on a YT video about this story - the box art changing for downloads, and... I wen tot load up NBA 2k18 to record footage for it and I encountered it. Didn't have my stuff recording at the time.

I'm pretty frustrated. I would have updated regardless, but it sucks. I don't know if I want to go through the pain of trying to gather the evidence by removing the update only to have to redownload it since it's so large.

What is clear however, is that the 24gb it says on the back of the box CLEARLY includes this update in it. Or well, it better. We'll know once someone can confirm the if there is an update in addition to that 24gb download.

nkarafo

I don't mind the extra space needed for game assets but 5GB for a save file is just ridiculous.

I tried and it told me I needed to update.

I assume this is possible the 1.04 patch, but it's seriously 10.6gbs?

Are these patches normal for a game like this? This game could end up being 200gb before the NBA season is over if that's the case.

This is absolutely insane to see a patch this large coincide with the launch of the physical verison,a nd based on the wording they knew before the NA physical version was being sent out that this patch was landing and going tobe this big.
I assume the game is filled with unused, garbage data after the update. I remember something similar happening with Serious Sam Fusion client. Fusion (SS1 HD, SS 2nd Encounter HD, SS3 + all DLCs) was smaller than SS3 standalone+updates. The developer replied that it was garbage data that was kept during the updates.

That was on PC though were you have much space to waste. And it was just a couple of GBs anyway. On Switch and 10GB+ this is inexcusable if true.

Top Bottom