• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 (Switch cartridge) requires 16GB download for all features

PS4 and XB1 games have these giant updates as well, not surprised it's happening with the Switch too

One day Nintendo will do it too :|

jmizzal

Um if OP is telling the truth, they could not even play off-line without the update

Lol why wouldnt you want the update anyways if your brought the game

And for anybody who says they want NBA Live, I hope you its pretty much online only, your locked out of a lot of stuff too if your offline since you have to sign into your EA account

Justified

Lol why wouldnt you want the update anyways if your brought the game

Some people go physical because of bandwidth caps, dont like the way 2K F's up gameplay in some of the patches, etc,

Whatever a case a patch shouldnt render your disc/cart unplayable

zelas

Man what a way to shoot yourself in the foot and both limit and piss off your potential audience for this game in the process. This is the sort of shit you pull once the console has been out a few years and people no longer see the purchase of an additional microSD card as a fee of entry.

People just got or are just now getting Switches. They just spent $400 on this thing, and on top of that you expect them to buy a card just to play your bloated unoptimized software? Just no.
Maybe they should have dropped features altogether like FIFA and Doom instead of giving people an excuse to blame a publisher, instead of the company who created the situation. People have no problem praising those incomplete games for portability sake. I mean you can't even play FIFA Switch, a franchise built around online multiplayer, with your friends.

Nintendo's half-arsed online cripples FIFA 18 on Switch

Akronis

lol that save game size. That's like taking an entire snapshot of the game running in RAM and saving it to disk.

I don't even think the switch has >4GB of RAM so congrats I guess?

plank

HKG2k1X.jpg

Holy crap SF 2 download size is bigger than Mario+Rabbids?

TLZ

Banned
If I can help you guys, I was at famous Italian retailer (Euronics) just minutes ago and the cover of the game has written "17 GB required".

I don't know where is the truth.
The truth is this is bullshit and should be boycotted. Physical my ass.

Aroll

Um if OP is telling the truth, they could not even play off-line without the update

The physical version you don't have a choice. You have to download.

For digital, if my system wasn't connected online it wouldn't have prompted the update and I could have played. But that would require I never again try to launch the game while connected to the internet, which means no online play, no roster updates - all pretty unreasonable.

ryushe

So, do we know what this supposed 10gb update is for?

Cause if it doesn't fix the myriad of problems this game has, it might just be time for me to delete this from my Switch.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The physical version you don't have a choice. You have to download.

For digital, if my system wasn't connected online it wouldn't have prompted the update and I could have played. But that would require I never again try to launch the game while connected to the internet, which means no online play, no roster updates - all pretty unreasonable.

You just said you didn't have the physical version, so we won't know until someone have tried.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Maybe they should have dropped features altogether like FIFA and Doom instead of giving people an excuse to blame a publisher, instead of the company who created the situation. People have no problem praising those incomplete games for portability sake. I mean you can't even play FIFA Switch, a franchise built around online multiplayer, with your friends.

Nintendo's half-arsed online cripples FIFA 18 on Switch
Please, enlighten me as to how you would increase the internal storage capacity on a device the size of a tablet that can also be used as a home console without bloating cost or size? Everyone is quick to blame and I certainly don't like the low space but NAND is stupidly expensive with nothing really offering what that memory type does but at a cheaper rate.

I will however agree on the online portion of your argument, that is just half assed shit.

Shiggy

Please, enlighten me as to how you would increase the internal storage capacity on a device the size of a tablet that can also be used as a home console without bloating cost or size? Everyone is quick to blame and I certainly don't like the low space but NAND is stupidly expensive with nothing really offering what that memory type does but at a cheaper rate.

I will however agree on the online portion of your argument, that is just half assed shit.

Going with 64GB or even 128GB wouldn't have increased production costs by much.

Rourkey

Nintendo need to subsidise the more expensive card before the issue starts having a bearing on whether the switch gets ports or not

Gamezone

Gold Member
I know. But the base game is 26gb pre patch. It says on the box it requires a 24gb download. Cartridge plus download = required.

I see. Pretty crazy. I would probably have bought it for my Switch if it wasn't incomplete.

So the game has been released now. Did anyone buy it and test it out?

i got an EU copy here. First box art: the mico sd card and the myplayer packs and vc circular things are stickers on the box and not printed on the actual box art. it says 17gb on the top as on the amazon uk thing. on the back it says "pro controller compatible" and "includes in game purchases" next to each toher.

without downloading the patch it gives me team select directly and in game. the UI docked looks blurry. like lots of the UI elements are jaggy as fuck.

The patch will tkae a while to download on my connection.

Also it has a manual but all legal BS and the usual garbage info. Havent redeemed the code that comes with yet. will do images when i get home.

edit: no reversible cover.

Gamezone

Gold Member
i got an EU copy here. First box art: the mico sd card and the myplayer packs and vc circular things are stickers on the box and not printed on the actual box art. it says 17gb on the top as on the amazon uk thing. on the back it says "pro controller compatible" and "includes in game purchases" next to each toher.

without downloading the patch it gives me team select directly and in game. the UI docked looks blurry. like lots of the UI elements are jaggy as fuck.

Also it has a manual but all legal BS and the usual garbage info. Havent redeemed the code that comes with yet. will do images when i get home.

Every team?

Fiendcode

Going with 64GB or even 128GB wouldn't have increased production costs by much.
Even wholesale every cent counts. Especially on Switch where the margins are said to be razor slim as is.

We’ll probably see storage get a bump on the first revision though in another year or two.

Shiggy

Even wholesale every cent counts. Especially on Switch where the margins are said to be razor slim as is.

We'll probably see storage get a bump on the first revision though in another year or two.

They are selling the Switch at a profit, don't worry. When they are able to sell it for 80 EUR less in Japan when compared to the European price, it doesn't look like margins are that slim.

Gamezone

Gold Member
There's 30 teams in the NBA.

I'm guessing that they have a quickplay option playable from the game card, but from the sound of it, nothing else without needing the download.

So they managed to put every team, the court, and I assume music and commentary as well. So what hell requires another 16-20 GB download? The story?

Preble

So like a dummy I went out and bought this game (I love basketball games). Somethings weird though.

On my Switch's Data Management Page it say the game only uses 19.2 GB (3 GB on the system memory and 16.1 GB on the sd card).

Weren't people saying you needed 25 GB of space to play the game? Am I missing something?

Ridley327

So like a dummy I went out and bought this game (I love basketball games). Somethings weird though.

On my Switch's Data Management Page it say the game only uses 19.2 GB (3 GB on the system memory and 16.1 GB on the sd card).

Weren't people saying you needed 25 GB of space to play the game? Am I missing something?

On the back of the NA box, it mentioned that it required a 24GB download, but that may have turned out to be somewhat outdated information. Which is weird, since it's the first version of the game at retail that's using the box art with Kyrie Irving in his Celtics uniform, but stranger things have happened.

I understand needing to put that huge disclaimer on the box and I actually think it’s super good that they did that, but if you’re going to do it then you should also feel obligated to make the cover reversible

leburn98

To add to what Grim has said, this is also what is or isn't missing from physical release (based on Canadian release):

• Only the quick play game mode is available
  • All 30 teams are available in team select. This includes the courts/arenas.
  • No commentary of any kind during play. No play-by-play, no Kobe, nothing. I am not sure about Halftime as I didn't bother to play beyond the first quarter.
  • The game does not appear to save your settings. I noticed this when on startup it was asking for my language.
Below may be the same as the fully patched game, but I will note it anyways:
  • I could not select the difficulty or time per quarter before playing. I could however change the difficulty and sliders in game.

The long and short of it is, if you were hoping to jump right into MyCareer/MyGM right away without downloading, then you will be disappointed. If you just want to play some 1v1 and don't mind the lack of commentary, then you will be fine.

Gamezone

Gold Member
To add to what Grim has said, this is also what is or isn't missing from physical release (based on Canadian release):

• Only the quick play game mode is available
  • All 30 teams are available in team select. This includes the courts/arenas.
  • No commentary of any kind during play. No play-by-play, no Kobe, nothing. I am not sure about Halftime as I didn't bother to play beyond the first quarter.
  • The game does not appear to save your settings. I noticed this when on startup it was asking for my language.
Below may be the same as the fully patched game, but I will note it anyways:
  • I could not select the difficulty or time per quarter before playing. I could however change the difficulty and sliders in game.

The long and short of it is, if you were hoping to jump right into MyCareer/MyGM right away without downloading, then you will be disappointed. If you just want to play some 1v1 and don't mind the lack of commentary, then you will be fine.

The physical release is totally worthless.

Top Bottom