• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 will support amiibo on Switch

My interest in the game has plummeted. Tying dlc to plastic trash is awful.

Yeah. The way 2K handles preorder bonuses and VC alone makes this just kind of disgusting. I really doubt many ppl on switch will buy this but this is transparent nickel and diming on 2K end. Since I don't know what the amiibos will grant, I'll keep myself neutral but I'm expecting the worst since 2K has never given a reason to think anything optimistic when it comes to microtransactions

Nintendo Power predicted Link all along
/s

unknown.png

2K nickel and diming? It's probably just going to be some Nintendo costumes lol. And unless 2K made their own amiibo, they wouldn't see any money from Nintendo's toy sales.

jmizzal

I wonder if WWE 2K18 will also have amiibo support then? I'm thinking it will just be bonus VC that you can do daily, like materials/food with non-Zelda amiibos in BoTW.

That would be nice too, def if you have a lot of amiibos you can load up on VC daily

qko

Probably gives you like 10 VC coins a day per swipe or something.

People are really overreacting. If it turns out that you get a Mario cap or Link tunic, were you really planning to buy 2k18 on the Switch because of these outfits when it was first announced in January?

The talk of DLC being locked away by amiibo is ridiculous, y'all pretend third parties actually make an effort on Nintendo platforms. Don't delude yourselves guys. The best possible scenario would be putting your MyPlayer on the amiibo to play on a friend's console. But it'll end up being some tacky crap no one who cares about NBA 2k18 would be interested to begin with.

LordKano

Funny how every game from that Switch introduction video will end up being amiibo compatible, including third-party ones.

bumpkin

If I use the Samus amiibo, does the basketball become the morphball? :O
I didn't even think of that, but I bet that's a real possibility for what the amiibo will do. I don't even know if NBA2K's engine would support non-standard player models, so getting characters like NBA Street Vol. 3 doesn't seem likely IMHO.

It's pretty cool that they'll be supporting Amiibo at all, just costumes or not.

I think their addition also bodes well for the quality of the game itself. If they went the extra mile to add this, I have hope the rest of the experience will hold up well vs the other versions.

I'm weridly hyped for the DF analysis vids for all these cross platform titles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Retail release got delayed because it comes with a Durant Amiibo...lol.

Top Bottom