• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K19 sales over 9 million copies (RIP Madden/NBA LIve)

The NBA 2K franchise continues to set new records for Take-Two Interactive. The publisher announced that the latest version of 2K Games’s basketball sim, last year’s NBA 2K19, is now at over 9 million copies sold.
Despite its success — along with ongoing sales of Red Dead Redemption 2, and player spending in Red Dead Online and Grand Theft Auto Online — Take-Two missed analysts’ expectations for its fourth-fiscal quarter earnings (ending March 31, 2019). But 9 million isn’t too shabby, as it means that NBA 2K19 is responsible for roughly 10% of the franchise’s total sales of 90 million. And that’s less than a year after its September 2018 launch.

With EA once again discussing shelving NBA Live, and Madden not even reaching 5 million (as of last report) EA's sports empire is dying along with their other declines.

Meanwhile Take2 is killing it with massive sales like 110 million for GTA V and over 24 million for RDR2.

Now we have over 9 million for NBA2k, which is better than the last two games and is a big deal in sports games that's not named Fifa (also in decline at EA)

Mista

Banned
Well, EA should blame themselves for that. Destroying a sports game with MTX backfired and I’m glad it did

Not saying 2K isn’t doing but in EA’s case it’s beyond the top

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don't know how I feel about EA shelving NBA Live, the latest entries play so well.

The reverse of what happened regarding NFL licensing--NFL 2K5 was awesome, and I still haven't forgiven EA for basically cutting the legs out from under it. Now that Madden has fallen on harder times, maybe they'll get rid of that ridiculous exclusive licensing.

And I know this is a pipe dream because EA treats the PC market like crap, but I hope to whatever being is up there that we get a current-gen NHL on PC.

Caffeine

i got nba live 19 for $4 and basically play it daily and already have a overall 99 player. I dont really like 2k19 there is way too much grind in career mode.

Last edited:
The reverse of what happened regarding NFL licensing--NFL 2K5 was awesome, and I still haven't forgiven EA for basically cutting the legs out from under it. Now that Madden has fallen on harder times, maybe they'll get rid of that ridiculous exclusive licensing.

And I know this is a pipe dream because EA treats the PC market like crap, but I hope to whatever being is up there that we get a current-gen NHL on PC.

Madden still sells millions at $60 so NFL will likely never share the license as long as EA wants to keep it, and they look like they aren't going to be letting it go soon.

demigod

I think this is because basketball has worldwide appeal. Other countries have basketball teams, no football(besides Canada). Basketball is also in the olympics.

I used to hate EA for that and didn't buy Madden until I learned this was the NFL's fault.

I think this is because basketball has worldwide appeal. Other countries have basketball teams, no football(besides Canada). Basketball is also in the olympics.

Naw, it's just EA being trash, Madden used to beat NBA on the regular. Now NBA has been beating Madden every year since Madden 25. (it lost two times before that but not in a row)

REDRZA MWS

With EA once again discussing shelving NBA Live, and Madden not even reaching 5 million (as of last report) EA's sports empire is dying along with their other declines.

Meanwhile Take2 is killing it with massive sales like 110 million for GTA V and over 24 million for RDR2.

Now we have over 9 million for NBA2k, which is better than the last two games and is a big deal in sports games that's not named Fifa (also in decline at EA)

EA Makes WAY more money of MUT mode than you can imagine. They could make the game free to play and still kill in profits, let alone selling 5 M copies too.

Madden is the longest running sports franchise, and ONLY NFL football game. RIP is pure hyperbole.

Moneal

I used to hate EA for that and didn't buy Madden until I learned this was the NFL's fault.

Ding ding ding. NFL didn't like 2k selling the NFL game for half price. Never understood the EA hate for the exclusive deal. EA tried it and the NFL turned it down because they were getting revenue from multiple games, then 2k cut EA's legs with price so EA cut its price as well that year right after release. NFL didn't like that one bit and then went to EA with a deal.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The NFL was terrible in this way. I hated it too

EA Makes WAY more money of MUT mode than you can imagine. They could make the game free to play and still kill in profits, let alone selling 5 M copies too.

Madden is the longest running sports franchise, and ONLY NFL football game. RIP is pure hyperbole.

Not according to EA's financials.

Meowzers

Not really sure how Fifa is in decline. Not a fan of the dreaded Ultimate Team, but that is still making a lot of coin for EA.

I hope the EA Sports games are in decline though so they can focus on bringing out well balanced games. Career mode was untouched again in Fifa 19. Just with added UEFA license...and a license doesn't make a game much better.

anthraticus

Banned
Haven't played 2K in years, as I got tired of all the canned animations making the game feel too cpu automated, like it's robbing me of player control. (which I feel is a problem with a lot of modern sports games, in an attempt to 'look' so realistic)

But I did stumble across some updated rosters for NBA Live 96 and have been tweeking some stats/playing and having fun with that while watching the NBA playoffs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom