• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K21 Is a Full-Priced Game That Is Forcing Players To Watch Unskippable Ads

Bullet Club

NBA 2K21 Is a Full-Priced Game That Is Forcing Players To Watch Unskippable Ads

NBA 2K series has been known to offer unskippable ads and after a backlash last year, they were removed only to return again this year.

These ads are usually shown during the 2K TV segments or before the pre-game loading screens. They are unskippable ads and range from advertising products like Oculus to even politics as per a user who was expressing his frustration about it on Twitter.

Last year, a viral thread on reddit brought attention to these ads. They were being offered in the 2K TV segments. It appears the developers haven’t learned their lesson and brought it again this year.

Earlier this year, UFC 4 started to show ads during replay segments in the game which prompted such a huge backlash that it forced the developer, EA Sports, to apologize about it and they removed them from the game. One of the members from the Community team at EA had shared the following statement.

I’m part of the Community team here at EA and I wanted to post here and give you all an update on this situation. Earlier this week, the team turned on ad placements in EA SPORTS UFC 4 that appeared during the “Replay” moments in gameplay. This type of advertising inventory is not new to the UFC franchise, though we have typically reserved displaying ads to specific main menu tiles or Octagon logo placement. It is abundantly clear from your feedback that integrating ads into the Replay and overlay experience is not welcome. The advertisements have been disabled by the team and we apologize for any disruption to gameplay that players may have experienced. We realize that this should have been communicated with players ahead of time and that’s on us. We want to make sure our players have the best possible experience playing EA SPORTS UFC 4, so ad integration in the Replay and overlay experience will not be reappearing in the future. Thank you for your continued feedback on EA SPORTS UFC 4.
2K Sports hasn’t commented on the status of these ads for NBA 2K21 so we have to wait and see what they are going to do with them. In the meanwhile, they are still seen in the 2K TV segments and the only possible way to avoid them is to turn off 2K TV in the options.

Source: Game Infinitus

Concern

Well deserved. They hiked up the price $10 for next gen too and still have a shit load of microtransactions.

Im willing to bet ads are probably strictly democratic considering people like Lebron lashing out at Trump.

Either way, they'll learn when morons stop buying this shit

Fox Mulder

The ads arent even a new addition this year. 2k and EA sports games fly under the radar with bullshit they couldn’t get away with in genres that get more coverage.

Companies don’t have to do this stuff. MLB The Show is a great baseball game with no real competition and they don’t do any of this horrible shit. They’d still sell tons even if they did though.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'm gonna start making my own "progressive" adverts, I think the trick is to make up the most backwards-towards-reality idea/theory you can think of off the top of your head, then accuse the other side of doing something while simultaneously doing it yourself, exploding the hypocrisy meter.

makaveli60

It's ridiculous how unashamed these companies can get with their practices. They try things like this, testing the water how much they can get away with and when facing backlash they go "oh sorry, we see you don't like this, we should have been more communicative with you, we apologize blablabla."
Fuck them.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Well, that'll be a waste of the PS5's SSD. I want this game, as I actually enjoy NBA2k, but I'm not hot on this idea of ads, skippable or not. If I pay for the game, I don't want ads. Also, there's no reason for ads in a game that is an annual roster refresh that's chock full of MTX. That's just being a dick. Hopefully they remove them. I might have to hold off my purchase until then. I might not have much of a choice anyway, as securing a PS5 this year might be impossible.

Kuranghi

Well, that'll be a waste of the PS5's SSD. I want this game, as I actually enjoy NBA2k, but I'm not hot on this idea of ads, skippable or not. If I pay for the game, I don't want ads. Also, there's no reason for ads in a game that is an annual roster refresh that's chock full of MTX. That's just being a dick. Hopefully they remove them. I might have to hold off my purchase until then. I might not have much of a choice anyway, as securing a PS5 this year might be impossible.

Thats why Sony are really drip feeding the info, the big bombshell they are going to drop soon is that the rumored 125GB of reserved space on the SSD is actually just ALL progressive adverts. They recorded 7 years worth and its just sitting there on the drive waiting to ruin all our games.

oldergamer

Me: Well at least they can't infect sport games with their leftist politics
2K: here have some political ads in your full priced games. GTFO

There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling
Better then rightwing politics featuring trump. I'm sick of that friggen guy. What was the political ad in this instance, the NBA telling people to go vote?

Last edited:
I remember when PS+ gave 2K16 as one of their free games and I really enjoyed it until I realized that in order to play the “story” mode you had to either grind for hundreds of hours to make your character better or just slide that credit card to skip it. Totally ridiculous practices.

xrnzaaas

It's gonna be funny when they'll find an excuse to put them in PS5 & XSEX versions despite almost no loading times.

Trimesh

Banned
Luckily I don't have to worry about this - I stopped buying EA shit years ago. Seriously, WHY are you still buying this shit? Surely it's obvious by now to anyone with even the slightest sliver of sentience that EA will constantly fuck over their customers in new and exciting ways on an ongoing basis. You can either wait until it exceeds your own personal tolerance level or go "fuck this shit" and just bail now. They are not going to improve, and every cent you give them just encourages them. Stop buying their products and let them go bankrupt - some other (almost certainly less cunty) company will pick up the licenses and the developers can go and work for someone else - maybe someone that doesn't ass-rape them on an ongoing basis by terrible working practices.

Sorry, this is 2K - but it's the same shit.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Luckily I don't have to worry about this - I stopped buying EA shit years ago. Seriously, WHY are you still buying this shit? Surely it's obvious by now to anyone with even the slightest sliver of sentience that EA will constantly fuck over their customers in new and exciting ways on an ongoing basis. You can either wait until it exceeds your own personal tolerance level or go "fuck this shit" and just bail now. They are not going to improve, and every cent you give them just encourages them. Stop buying their products and let them go bankrupt - some other (almost certainly less cunty) company will pick up the licenses and the developers can go and work for someone else - maybe someone that doesn't ass-rape them on an ongoing basis by terrible working practices.

Sorry, this is 2K - but it's the same shit.
With downloadable rosters, you really only need to buy 1 version, and then update rosters. However, for new consoles, you will need to get a version of the game eventually. That's the case for me. Been playing the PC version of NBA2K20, and was hoping to get 2k21 for PS5. The ads are the only thing that bother me. I don't care about MTX, as that's all optional.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Skip-Ad-Animation-Countdown.gif

bender

What time is it?
The death spiral of my interest in the series since the Dreamcast days is sad. There is still an impressive game under all the shady monetization schemes.

Arkam

I have no problem with in game advertising (even full price ones) as long as it’s not invasive. The Billboards in Burnout Paradise, the Monster Energy cans in Death Stranding were totally fine. But a straight up commercial as if this was a F2P.... oh hell no. It being political is just salt in a gaping wound.

come on 2k, you can be shady, but you gotta be smart.

TalentedMrJ

Haven't bought 2k since Kevin Durant was on the cover
Glad I quit supporting yearly sports releases, especially with this BS

KevinHelpUs

Neo Member
Stop buying these games. Complain all we like, if we keep rewarding these companies with our money, they will continue to do this. There is no other solution.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Its easy to say "why are you all buying this", but when there is no viable competitor, and you love playing nba games, its kind of like:

- if 711 were the only place that sells slurpees, and you love slurpees but hate 711

- there was only one gas station in the whole city, the guy that owns it got you fired from your job that sells gas, but you need gas for your car

- ebgames is the only store that sells the latest gta game, a game you put 500 hours into and love, but you hate ebgames

In all the above scenarios, you likely still shop there......

Last edited:

Truespeed

So we now need ad blockers for games? Someone get in touch with github.com/gorhill and commission him to make a custom ublock origin for 2K products.

bosnianpie

Haven't bought a game in the franchise since 2K14. I can confirm that it's possible to live without mtx infested crap that is anti-consumer to its core. Don't give them a dime, this is unacceptable.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Thats why Sony are really drip feeding the info, the big bombshell they are going to drop soon is that the rumored 125GB of reserved space on the SSD is actually just ALL progressive adverts. They recorded 7 years worth and its just sitting there on the drive waiting to ruin all our games.
Last week when the TOS for the PS store updated they make all users opt in for targeted advertising. There was an option to opt out...but that only opts you out of the targeted ads not ads in general.

Amazon, Google, and Microsoft has been doing this for years, only a matter of time until the same situation happened in games.the Xbox dashboard looks like one giant ad to me (I have not seen the new XSX dashboard so maybe that has changed).
*edited for spelling and punctuation

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Ads placement like this tends to have the opposite effect on me . I'll actively out of my way to avoid a product if it has aggressive ads like this

Last edited:

Kdad

When I buy a game on Android it specifically warns me about the game containing ads and or IAP.

The platforms should force all developers to put such warnings on box or digital stores prior to purchase.

wolffy71

Banned
An ad on the scoreboard or floor is one thing but unskippable ads in game is ridiculous. Make it a free game if ur gonna do that garbage.

wolffy71

Banned
At this point I have zero sympathy for the normie consoomers buying these yearly rehashed sports games from the industry’s worst publishers.

The schmucks complaining are also the first ones to buy the next iteration.

tenor.gif
What other sport game are you gonna get? If ur a big sports fan theres no option.

Top Bottom