• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Jam's Trey Smith "We're trying to throw it all in there" (360/PS3)

Mafro

If you want to hang out with your friends and use gesture controls, you got it on the Wii. If you want to go online and you want that HD experience, you go on the PS3/360.
derp

Xater

I am totally fine with this. I have no problem paying for this as full game and apparently get the best experience around. Being able to avoid Elite is also a big plus as it looks like. :lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow, talk about absolutely killing the Wii version.

I'll be buying the 360 version day one.

I was definitely going to be day 1 on the Wii version, and was just going to figure out how to get the 360 one as a DD game down the line just for the Online.

Now, I can hold off and wait it out.

This is EA shooting themselves in the foot, no matter what happens.

I don't think the Wii one will even have roster updates, which is something that severely irritated me for the street titles too.

XiaNaphryz said:
W8BxU.png
:lol classic.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If the content justifies the price, I'm down. I would have probably gone with the Wii version based on what we new a few months ago, but it seems like EA doesn't want me to.

I loved Jam back in the day, though, and I prefer my sports games to be as arcadey as possible so this is a want for m.e

ILikeFeet

Banned
Htown said:
Nintendo really needs to work on its exclusivity deals.

Like, do they ever actually get something in writing or do they just kind of assume because a publisher says something is exclusive that it is going to continue to be exclusive?

This is kind of like the whole RE4 situation. It's a Nintendo platform exclusive, until a couple months before it comes out when the publisher goes NO NO DON'T WORRY IT'S COMING OUT WITH MORE CONTENT ON ANOTHER PLATFORM!

I think Nintendo should just go on and purchase exclusive games now. they keep getting shafted and taken advantage of because they are "humble"

Haunted

ILikeFeet said:
I think Nintendo should just go on and purchase exclusive games now. they keep getting shafted and taken advantage of because they are "humble"
heh, that's a nice euphemism. You could replace humble with cheap bastards in that sentence and it wouldn't be any less true, all depends how you look at it.

This is a competitive business. If Nintendo does not want to aggressively court and subsidise developers like their competitors are, they will continue to have to deal with situations like this.

NBA Jam went from exclusive for Wii to multiplat (but exclusive content for Wii makes up for worse graphics) to the Wii version actually having less content on top of having worse IQ.

I'm pretty sure NBA Jam lends itself nicely to motion controls, and slammin' down the Wiimote to dunk from a distance will be fun, it's getting increasingly harder to justify the Wii version over the HD versions.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is Muggsy Bogues still in the NHL? He was always my favorite to play in basketball games, it would be cool if they have him in the new Jam.

Gravijah

Snuggler said:
Is Muggsy Bogues still in the NHL? He was always my favorite to play in basketball games, it would be cool if they have him in the new Jam.

Yes, yes he is... Currently playing for the Caps.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Haunted said:
heh, that's a nice euphemism. You could replace humble with cheap bastards in that sentence and it wouldn't be any less true, all depends how you look at it.

why do you think I put it in quotes? ;)

Snuggler said:

Good evening gents, how about that local sports match? I love watching those Football players dunk the puck.

I can't really tell from that quote if it is going to be a retail release or also digital?
I wouldn't have bought that elite piece of shit anyways, so I guess this is "good news" for nba jam fans like me.

What's nice about this whole thing is that the people who wanted a Wii exclusive to crow over got screwed and the people who want every single Wii game ever made to come out on PSN/XBLA for $15 got screwed, leaving only the people who saw the original full-price announcement and said that they would buy a full-featured version of the game for full price on whatever their most preferred option of those systems available was to actually get what they wanted. :lol

YagizY

I don't really understand how people are arguing "EA is shooting themselves in the foot." Now that it's multi-plat it will sell even more than just the Wii version would have.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
charlequin said:
What's nice about this whole thing is that the people who wanted a Wii exclusive to crow over got screwed and the people who want every single Wii game ever made to come out on PSN/XBLA for $15 got screwed, leaving only the people who saw the original full-price announcement and said that they would buy a full-featured version of the game for full price on whatever their most preferred option of those systems available was to actually get what they wanted. :lol

Yeah, it's hilarious how this turned out. I'm not sure I want or need a full featured single player NBA Jam experience... certainly not for the 60 dollars they're going to ask for it.

JWong

Banned
Is the T-Pose from basic modeling 101 really that funny?

When a model's animation rig breaks, it relegates back to that pose. Yes, it's a bug, but it's not this Jesus thing funny.

Defunkled

ph33nix said:
I don't think the Wii one will even have roster updates, which is something that severely irritated me for the street titles too.

I could not agree with this more. I assume the PS3/360 versions are going to have roster updates, which is the main reason I would buy those versions over the Wii. I could care less about online play and HD graphics.

JWong said:

When a model's animation rig breaks, it relegates back to that pose. Yes, it's a bug, but it's not this Jesus thing funny.

Funny enough for 600k views and having EA essentially cancel the game as a result.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
JWong said:

It's because you just don't see or expect that level of jank from what should be a "AAA" game.

JWong

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Funny enough for 600k views and having EA essentially cancel the game as a result.
Trust me. The T-Pose rig breaking in the demo doesn't cancel the game. It even happened in the Fifa 11 demo, and Fifa 11 released with an 88 metacritic.

The real issues are all those other "WTF?" moments that are gameplay related.

Barrett2

Snuggler said:
Now that's a two sport athlete, goddamn.

JWong said:
Trust me. The T-Pose rig breaking in the demo doesn't cancel the game. It even happened in the Fifa 11 demo, and Fifa 11 released with an 88 metacritic.

The real issues are all those other "WTF?" moments that are gameplay related.

Agreed. As I mentioned in the Elite cancellation thread, NHL also has had its fair share of T-pose like glitches as well. Thats not why it got cancelled. It got cancelled because the game was not even up to par with Live 10 let alone in the same league as 2K11.

Cipherr

Haunted said:
it's getting increasingly harder to justify the Wii version over the HD versions.

I dont think its hard, I think its impossible. Assuming you have a Wii and another console, there is zero reason for you to buy the Wii version now. There is no way Ill get it now. Co-op online season play? (If Im reading that right) This game is now worth the full price on PS360.

Hunahan

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Yeah, it's hilarious how this turned out. I'm not sure I want or need a full featured single player NBA Jam experience... certainly not for the 60 dollars they're going to ask for it.
That's kind of how I feel. Would have been a no brainer as a downloadable game. As a full retail experience, I'm kinda indifferent.

I can't imagine taking NBA Jam seriously enough to want to go online with it, and I can't imagine that going through some extended single player campaign would be that entertaining. 1v1 arcade mode would have been enough for me.

Oh well, whatevs. There's always rentals.

ILikeFeet

Banned
JWong said:

it's funny because it broke

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Bah, I was really looking forward to a nice little downloadable XBLA NBA Jam. Not sure if it's going to be even close to worth a full $60 pricetag

if they're gonna charge 60 for it then that means elite will get cancelled. who the fuck is going to get elite now? and besides if I had a choice between 60 bucks for elite or jam i'd pick jam every time

Amir0x

Banned
Puncture said:
I dont think its hard, I think its impossible. Assuming you have a Wii and another console, there is zero reason for you to buy the Wii version now. There is no way Ill get it now. Co-op online season play? (If Im reading that right) This game is now worth the full price on PS360.

what? didn't you read the OP? Duders who like hangin' with friends and playin' with gestures should totally get NBA Jam Wii

Amir0x said:
what? didn't you read the OP? Duders who like hangin' with friends and playin' with gestures should totally get NBA Jam Wii

I kinda considered getting the wii version because I have more controllers for that, more real life friends can play

and then I realized I don't have real life friends that really play NBA Jam :(

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
charlequin said:

You don't say. Me, I didn't care for exclusivity as long as I knew that the Wii version was well-made (which seems to be the case) and wasn't inferior to the other versions save for HD graphics (which apparently won't be the case because it won't get online — am I correct? — and the PS360 version will have online + most if not all the once-exclusive Wii content). Really a bad deal for Wii owners... I hope that at least the price will be lower (like, $10/10€ less).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ninja Scooter said:
goddamn it. I just wanted a simple little D/L'able HD Jam and now im gonna have to pay $50 for it, aren't I?

I also want a simple $10 remake of Jam. Nothing fancy. But if this stretches past $30, I think will pass.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
ILikeFeet said:
it's funny because it broke
and because no one is familiar with the basic modeling t-pose and so anything 1 degree out of the ordinary is a hilarious development

Mrbob said:
This is such a cluster. I don't know why people are happy this ends up being a worse deal for gamers.

Buy NBA Elite for 60 plus pre order bonuses (10 dollar amazon credit at the very least), take the nba jam code and use it then sell elite for 40 to 45 dollars.

Now we gotta pay 60 for NBA Jam with a bunch of extra garbage added on top we really didn't need. No thanks.
To be fair, if Elite was really going to be that bad it is doubtful you would have gotten anywhere near 40-45 for it.

Amir0x

Banned
ph33nix said:
I kinda considered getting the wii version because I have more controllers for that, more real life friends can play

and then I realized I don't have real life friends that really play NBA Jam :(

first i was like oh that makes sense

then i was like awwwww :(

Jas

Apparently the codes that came with NBA Elite for NBA Jam still work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPv0OfT_UO0

The video shows off the menu and rosters for the teams on the PS3 version. Looks like they were going to sell the modes that were missing as DLC. He said he would post gameplay videos later on.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
What a bunch of shit. Better not be more than $20 at retail and I'll expect a digital release you poops!

Top Bottom