• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Live EP apologizes for existence of game (gonna keep selling it for $60 though!)

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
mprovements on these fronts are also in development now for NBA LIVE 14. You will notice in the coming weeks and months that the game’s visuals and animation will improve significantly.

Sad thing is that some people are stupid enough to actually believe this.

We’re not going to stop there. You’ve also let us know that you’re disappointed by the graphics and animations, and I can tell you that we are committed to making drastic and immediate improvements. In order to get gameplay up and running this year we had to prioritize. We felt authentic gameplay, control and the connected experience would provide the best foundation for the future. As a result, game visuals and animation polish suffered. Improvements on these fronts are also in development now for NBA LIVE 14. You will notice in the coming weeks and months that the game’s visuals and animation will improve significantly.

4HO4EOt.png

Come on now, guys.

Because I enjoy playing Mass Effect, NHL, Battlefield... what a poor blanket statement to throw.
To be fair, Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 4 are two more examples of EA fucking up.

I'm lucky if I make it to the end of a match without the program crashing in Battlefield 4 on PC.

a916

To be fair, Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 4 are two more examples of EA fucking up.

I'm lucky if I make it to the end of a match without the program crashing in Battlefield 4 on PC.

Nope. Not even remotely true. For either. DICE messed up on BF4, which they've done for each BF. Not EA as a whole.

slapnuts

lol everyone prepare for EA to buy out the NBA license for exclusivity. Last time 2k had a EAsports game on its heals like this...EA bought out the NFL license.

erawsd

Because they've already scrapped a basketball game twice in the last 4 years or so, this was in development for multiple platforms and it's just not worth losing more money. Ight as well just get it out there and see how it goes.

It's shitty, but that's just business.

Honestly they should just drop the NBA games though. They just can't match up to what 2K is doing.

I disagree because 2k needs competition. I'm sure the reason NBA2k14 has a graphics engine rebuilt for next gen is exactly because they probably expected a next gen only NBA Live would, at least, look like a better game and attracts sales that way.

mechphree

d70.jpg

http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/nba-live-14-open-letter

Honestly, when your game is so bad that you need to put out a statement like this a week after launch, why even release it in the first place? Why sell it at the price point they did, and then continue to do so? While it's... interesting that they're promising to make improvements over the course of the next year, they should have had the dignity/respect for their consumers to pull it from shelves or hold off on releasing it in the interim.

EA, folks.

My god is that their version of LEBRON James?! He looks like a bouncer at a nightclub.

I played the demo and it was alright gameplay wise, and average looking for the most part. I can understand not prioritizing graphics over gameplay when you're building from the ground up, but nothing about the gameplay is extraordinary enough to make me want it over 2k14; although if EA were to sell this for $40 I would buy it.

Radec

I disagree because 2k needs competition. I'm sure the reason NBA2k14 has a graphics engine rebuilt for next gen is exactly because they probably expected a next gen only NBA Live would, at least, look like a better game and attracts sales that way.

2K has been soloing the NBA scene for 2 years before this game shows up. I dont think they need a competition to improve their game. They just do.

RE_Player

2K has been soloing the NBA scene for 2 years before this game shows up. I dont think they need a competition to improve their game. They just do.
Same with MLB The Show. No competition, no exclusive rights but the games keep getting better and better.

Dahaka

2k should go for football as well and attack EA's FIFA. One of the problems though will be lincesing since FIFA's system is probably the worst offender of all.

abracadaver

Is FIFA really that bad ? My friends play only FIFA and buy it every year. I once asked them about PES but they said FIFA is always better. This was a year ago though

2k should go for football as well and attack EA's FIFA. One of the problems though will be lincesing since FIFA's system is probably the worst offender of all.
FIFA got really good reviews.

But . . . competition couldn't hurt. And it is a nice worldwide market.

erawsd

There is no debating that competition forces companies to produce a better product. There are large pockets of NBA2k fans that think they've been sleeping in recent years, especially with current gen 2k14. And I'm willing to bet that we would not have seen a brand new graphical engine on next gen 2k14 this year if a next gen only NBA Live weren't looming over their heads.

bsnakes12

Neo Member
Is FIFA really that bad ? My friends play only FIFA and buy it every year. I once asked them about PES but they said FIFA is always better. This was a year ago though

Fifa is fine, it's only the blind EA haters who say it sucks, otherwise you have PES fans and Fifa fans who like it for their own reasons just like every other sports games. There's no Fifa secret that the hardcore guys know about as to why it's terrible.

Also to the guys saying well idiots keep buying the game, I'm guessing they did this because nobody is buying the game. If it was selling it probably would have been some BS about "we thank you for your outstanding support and understand there are things you want improved."

Instead nobody is buying this game, the reviews are awful and their trying to save 3 years of development by saying we know it sucks but we're fixing it so still buy it and maybe it'll be decent in 2 months?

dreamfall

Jesus Christ.

... that's a pretty face
The kind you'd find on someone I could save
If they don't put me away
Well, it'll be a miracle

Do you believe you're missin' out
That everything good is happening somewhere else?

Gah, I had to!

Here's hoping Live improves, or we go back to Street and there's a super HD version of Volume 2.

rvy

Banned

It's not bad. FIFA is to football what Madden is to American Football. Albeit FIFA being a lot better, but the design philosophy appears to be shared. FIFA is football for casual gamers and they managed to uproot all the Pro Evo fans because this generation has been dreadful for PES.

I'd gladly welcome VC to make a football game.

hesido

If the cost of an exclusive license is less than having to compete with a furiously good studio crushing you all the time, you buy the exclusive license if there's that option. Heck, you'd buy it just to save yourself the embarrassment or push your rival out of business in the long run even if the license is too expensive.

It's not bad. FIFA is to football what Madden is to American Football. Albeit FIFA being a lot better, but the design philosophy appears to be shared. FIFA is football for casual gamers and they managed to uproot all the Pro Evo fans because this generation has been dreadful for PES.

I'd gladly welcome VC to make a football game.

Fifa is awesome on next gen this year. It is severely underrated because it doesnt have the wow factor right off the bat. But soon as it begins to animate you really notice how musch better it is from current gen. I am really surprised by it.

Anyone who didn't think otherwise was fooling themselves... great to see this kind of candid reaction to the game. Hopefully this translates into a better offering and gamers have two great NBA titles to choose from.

Yep, the 12-month line surprised me. I figured they were at it for longer than that.

RT17

Banned
After putting this letter out there, why not reduce the price of the digital version to £20 or something?

eival

the writing was on the wall for years when Mike Wang didnt even last 1 full year at EA after seeing the "direction EA was planning to go with Live wasnt coinciding with his goal to create the best basketball experience" back in 2010 before going back to 2k, meanwhile NBA 14 literally looks no different than 11 did which was the last game in the series.

http://www.operationsports.com/feat...aves-ea-heads-back-to-2k-sports-for-nba-2k11/

Mike Wang: My main goal ever since I got into this industry has been to help create the ultimate NBA hoops sim. After spending time with both Visual Concepts, working on NBA 2K6-2K8, and then with EA the past couple years, I realized that if I wanted to achieve my goal, returning to Visual Concepts was the right move to make

Top Bottom