• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K10: Videogame Scam of the Year - post#476 you gotta be KIDDING

Smokey

**Warning Insanely long post***

It is my belief that the goons over at 2K Sports are running nothing short of a scam at their studio. NBA2K9 had NUMEROUS glitches in the game. In fact, I had to stay in constant contact with a person close to the team at 2K to address issues that would pop up in the GAF league. Okay. Not that big of a deal I guess. Surely they'll address the numerous issues and complaints for NBA2K10. Right?

Fucking wrong.

These slimebags owe me and others $60 for buying their worthless piece of shit broken game that's really a beta passed off as a retail product.

Where to start?

From DAY ONE there were multiple problems with the game. Here is the patch that was just recently released (which is comical in itself and I'll get to that in a second):

GENERAL

- Improved game performance in all arenas and camera angles.

- Corrected a framerate issue that was causing noticeable slowdown in the paint in specific arenas.

- Corrected a framerate issue that was causing noticeable slowdown during NBA D-League games.

- Fixed an issue (online and offline) where Coach Settings were not properly saving to the user’s Settings file.

- Addressed an issue where the user would enter into a game where there would either be no crowd present or the opposing team would not appear on the court.

- Fixed an issue where users would get NBA Blacktop rules (no intentional fouls, no 3-in-the-key, etc.) turned on when attempting to play a Quick Game.

- In-game saves should now load up correctly in the Playoffs game mode.

- Users are now able to assign any jersey number to a player, on any team, when playing outside of The Association game mode.

- Games played in the NBA D-League should now have appropriate sized crowds. (Note: this change will not be reflected in existing Associations and My Player careers.)

- Fixed a slowdown issue during stoppages of play with created teams.

- Made a change to where the value for headband colors is stored at. These changes can now be made through Living Roster releases once the patch is released. If you see any discrepancies, make sure and let the 2K Insider know!

GAMEPLAY

- Tuned shooting percentages across the board, particularly (points) in the paint where more shots are now initiated with contact.

- Fixed a soft hang on an inbound where the inbounding player would miss the ball handoff from the referee.

- Addressed issues in defensive rotations that didn’t function as intended in various situations, with particular attention to both post double team situations as well as in pick-and-roll situations.

- Lead passes into the paint will now result in more tipped/deflected passes as the interior defense is now more aware of these types of passes.

- Plays will no longer break when the user strays slightly from the intended path.

- Both User/CPU alley-oop success has been toned down such that only realistic attempts should now be completed.

- Assists should now only be credited to the passer at appropriate times.

- Only 1 timeout is deducted from the total when the CPU calls a timeout for the user.

- The CPU should no longer pass the ball to a teammate when the recipient has a foot out of bounds.

- Bad passes should be less inaccurate now. They still happen with similar frequency, but some passes can be recovered now.

- CPU players now have better logic behind their turbo energy management (which will keep them fresher for key moments in the game).

- CPU players should now be more aware of being called for 3 second violations.

- Defensive assist is now turned off when the ball is not in play.

- The CPU now properly respects any changes to the Help Defense slider settings.

- The dribbler should no longer teleport back a few feet on the court following a two player steal attempt.

- Players with unique free throw stances (ex., Paul Pierce) will no longer slide into position to shoot the free throw.

- Point Guards should no longer end up out of bounds during baseline inbounds coming out of a timeout or dead ball.

- Fixed a case where the PG would run in a circle (in anticipation of receiving the ball) in the backcourt during transitions.

- Players should no longer get stuck in the post in a single player hold-ball animation (often leading to a 24-second violation) when trying to drive to the basket.

- Fixed an issue where the user was unable to give certain players their player-specific animation packages.

- Fixed an issue with a baseline layup where opposing defenders weren’t able to create contact when the animation played out.

- Addressed a specific dunk animation that would sometimes not result in a made basket despite a successful dunk.

- The user should now notice more over-the-back calls on rebounds when the boxed out player attempts a rebound.

- A good number of other changes aimed towards increasing user satisfaction have also been made in this release. These will be apparent as you play the game (ex. The referee will now utilize a bounce pass rather than a chest pass when passing the ball to the shooter during free throw situations, plays will now start quicker when the user manually calls a play, etc.).

PRESENTATION

- During NBA Today/Association games, the ‘Upcoming Schedule’ overlay will no longer obstruct
gameplay.

- Fixed an issue where the substitution overlay would sometimes briefly cover the action on the court.

- Blank overlays should no longer quickly appear/disappear during gameplay.

- Highlight/Halftime/Player of the Game/Replay options should now be working properly in Arena Music Manager.

- Player specific custom sound events should now be working properly in Arena Music Manager.

- Improved performance and stability for all online game types.

- Corrected an issue in Team-Up play where all players would sometimes see the same player (PG) listed in all substitution slots.

- Ranked game difficulty has been changed to SuperStar for Team-Up games.

- Removed the spotlights for online play only to improve performance during stoppages of play.

- Corrected an issue with the My Player Pick-Up games that would sometimes cause games to diverge upon initiation.

- Fixed an issue where online Association games would diverge at halftime if neither user skipped through the presentation sequence.

- Fixed an issue in Crew games where the wrong team would be credited with the win after one Crew quit out of the game.

- Fixed a hang that would sometimes occur when making substitutions during an online Association game.

- Fatigue should now behave as expected during private Team-Up games.

- Fixed a hang in Who’s Online that would occur when the user scrolled quickly with a large number of friends on the list.

- Replays uploaded via GameTrack should now play properly when viewed at 2ksports.com.

- Fixed an issue with the Screenshot Upload feature that would sometimes upload an incorrect screenshot.

- Fixed an issue where a user’s consecutive win streak would get reset to zero if the user won a game where his/her opponent quit out of the active game.

- Fixed an issue in private matches with friends where all users would disconnect when attempting to play a second game.

- Fixed an issue where games in online leagues would diverge if users made changes to the default roster.

- Addressed an issue where completed ranked games would sometimes not report the results to the server.

MY PLAYER

- Fixed an issue that would cause a clone of the user’s player to be created when changing teams at the end of the Summer Circuit. Existing cloned players will be removed with this patch.

- Users can now change quarter length in My Player to any amount of minutes between 5 and 12.

- Tuned the substitution logic such that users should no longer be substituted out only to be substituted in at the next dead ball.

- The logic that determines whether or not you get an invite to Training Camp, make the NBA team, and get an invite from an NBA team while in the NBA D-League have all been changed to be a little more forgiving.

- Resolved an issue where the 2K Insider was not informing the user of his/her contract status at the conclusion of a 10-day contract.

- Animation packages will no longer be reset to the ‘best’ package every time a corresponding attribute is upgraded.

- The user’s ‘Drills Remaining’ value will now be properly saved as new drills are accumulated throughout the NBA/D-League season.

ASSOCIATION

- The ability for the user to upload their Association stats/standings to the blog interface on 2KSports.com has been added.

- Fixed an issue where player ratings would drop upon the successful completion of a Development Drill.

- Tuned the Player Progression system such that Shot Tendencies will progress/regress over a player’s career. Additionally, general Player Progression/Regression has been slightly increased as well.

- Fixed an issue where the number of players the user had sent down to their D-League affiliate wasn’t getting reset despite recalling players back to their NBA team.

- Fixed an issue where draft classes loaded in future years would change the age of the prospects inside the draft class. They should now have the same age they were created with.

- 10-day contracts should now work in year 2 and beyond.

- Lower rated players should now be more accepting of the ‘Role Player’ role.

- Stats accumulated during NBA D-League games will no longer register as Season/Career Highs for players.

- Corrected an issue where users were able to continue drafting players once the NBA Draft had ended.

- Users should no longer have an obstructed view of the court when performing Development Drills.

- Users should no longer be able to see the overall rating of players during the NBA Draft.

- Corrected an issue where backloaded contracts were getting incorrectly multiplied in the latter years of the contract.

Holy. Shit.

You can't tell me these con artists didn't know what they fuck they were doing releasing their product like this. Look at all the shit in the patch. The game shipped day one with modes that didn't work, or, had so many problems it really was not worth playing. In other words, I PAID $60 FOR A FUCKING BETA.

But..it gets better.

Here on Sports-GAF I run the NBA2K online leagues. This season 20+ people bought this POS with the expectation that we were going to continue with our annual league. Guess what? That shit doesn't even work. The SECOND patch detailed above was supposed to fix the problems with leagues. But in typical 2k fashion, it didn't do shit.

You can't do anything in the leagues. You make a trade the whole league fucks up and results in all kinds of network errors. You can't do ANYTHING. We had some people who bought 360s just to play in my league, and these fucks at 2k deliver a product that they know is fundamentally broken and not finished. This was after the 2k admin over at 2ksports.com was going on and mentioning how you can promote your leagues anywhere or whatever with some kind of nifty function. Well yeah, that would be AMAZING...if I could actually use a feature that I fucking paid $60 for.

Okay so that's the online mode. What if you don't want to play online? How about the new My Player mode? This doozie of a mode lets you create a player and take him from a undrafted rookie through NBA Summer Circuit, NBA training camps, eventually a NBA squad etc.

Sounds cool right?

Not if your game won't let you play in a second season without it freezing. Not if there are CLONES of your created character showing up on the other team, thus screwing up your actual progress because the fucks decided to create TWO of you. Not if the game puts you on one team, but then turns around and puts you on another just for the fuck of it. Not if the stupid little NBA Insider keeps telling you over and over about new deals on the table...but there's really not because it's another dumbass bug in the game. Imagine that! Not if you have your created player suddenly deleted just because, well, 2k programmers thought that would be awesome.

What's even more fucked up is despite all these issues these cats have the balls to ask what kind of signature shooting styles we want to see...in NBA2K11...

THEY HAVEN'T EVEN FIXED NBA2K10 AND THESE CON ARTISTS ARE ALREADY ASKING ABOUT NBA2K11.

http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243509

Good. God.

The thing is the developers know about these issues. They know what the fuck is going on. Certain people have conversations with people responsible for this scam. They know what's up, yet the don't give two shits about what they're doing. They stole my money and couldn't give two shits. They're working on the next version. 2K has been getting away with this shit for awhile now because the only other alternative (NBA Live) has sucked balls the past few seasons.

Not anymore. I encourage Sports - Age to never touch a 2K product again on day one, or to simply move on to alternatives. 2K has shitted on their customers repeatedly, but this time they have successfully pulled off their con.

And I know the con artists over at 2K are reading this. That's what pisses me off. I know they read shit about their product. As I mentioned I kept in constant contact with an individual close to the team. They know what's up. 3/4 of this game is broken and I want my $60 back.

I've played this series since 2K back on DC days. I ain't buyin' this shit next season and neither is anybody else who actually wants value for their dollar.

SO FUCK YOU

Few examples of the type of crap in this "game":

PBMax said:
OP made me laugh so hard I had to go to Youtube to check out this game -- what an absolute POS.

1 foot bounce pass hits the rafters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW1U4hxxdFU&NR=1

Players stand on court after game forever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o33aXENfneE&NR=1

Dunk, rebound, layin -- two baskets in one!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZBva0C3h1U&NR=1

Jumper through bottom of hoop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xm7gceDqpE&NR=1

Don't even know what to call this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItqqhpHywZg&NR=1

INVISIBLE PLAYERS!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiG4-wjj2Po&NR=1

WTF VC? This is not cool.

I agree. The game was completely shitted out. I don't understand how hard it is when you have a perfectly solid game in NBA 2K9 only to add about a thousand shit glitches to it. One of the most unfinished games this generation. Also the most egregious bit is the devs going on the forums asking its members to do the QA for them. "Oh there's slowdown really"? Fucking ugh. Actually no. The worst part is the reviewers that gave this clearly broken game 9's and up. Did the review build run better than retail or something?

get the word out. 2k is the worst dev team out there. fucking thieves.
someone really should classaction lawsuit their asses.
orson-clapping.gif

ecnal

great post smokey.

this is seriously the worst video game product i've played this generation.

i've never booted up a game and instantly realized that the product is wholly unfinished.

i want my god damned $60 back.

2K absolutely tarnished what little reputation they had left.

Mrbob

2K sports is done. I do feel bad for the hardcore NBA2K fans, and 2K crossed the line this year and scammed every buyer. Every gamer who bought this game and want their 60 dollars back should get it no questions asked.

NBA2K11 will have to be the greatest bball game of all time for sports gamers to have interest in it, and then it will still be better to wait on buying it because you know something will be glitched.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Glad I rented and didn't purchase this one. A complete waste of time. They got my $$ for the Combine, but not a penny more.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Yeah it is pretty buggy for sure and the patch didn't fix half of the stuff they promised. Still playing it a lot but damn the cpu got called for 7 3 second called.. random players like SFs and shit..

EekTheKat

:lol

What I find interesting is that for 3 years in a row they've shipped the game with the same first freethrow lags the game badly bug. And each year it's taken them one month after ship to address that very same bug.

At this point I'd rather see a 2-3 year model sustained by DLC + fixes now. It's insane to bump into the same bug year after year, only to have to wait an additional month for them to fix it.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
NBA 2K9 was when I noticed Visual Concepts was going in a direction I did not like. Lousy online, removal of lobbies, glitches, shit gameplay, arcadey speed, etc. etc. etc.

I'm done with the 2K series until they get their act together.

For now, I'm on board the NBA Live warwagon and encourage the rest of the 2K refugees to join us!

aznpxdd

I'm one of the people Smokey mentioned in the OP who bought a fuckin' 360 just so I can play in the league. The only semi redeeming mode in the game is MyPlayer and even that has tons of bugs. Getting a crew game going in 2k10 is next to impossible, there were tons of times me and viakado literally tried to get a game going for 30 minutes couldn't get it to work. Not to mention this game froze my brand new Xbox 360 about 20 times (all the 2k-Age who played crew can attest to this).

Birdman02

Damn, Smokey.

I'm kind of glad I skipped the basketball games this year. I still get my basketball fix from 2k9....thanks to a roster file that was uploaded with all the new rookies.

Zeliard

The patch notes, my god. It's not even just the amount of changes/fixes, but what they are. It's like the game was literally not tested at all, like they seriously just skipped that part entirely. :lol

kamspy

NBA 2K10 is a broken piece of shit. I got my full by paying $60 for 2K9, so I went with the $19.99 PC version this year. In addition to the complaints above I'll add that somehow in all of it's graphical splendor it's more taxing to run on my machine than Crysis. WTF.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Zeliard said:
The patch notes, my god. It's not even just the amount of changes/fixes, but what they are. It's like the game was literally not tested at all, like they seriously just skipped that part entirely. :lol

- Addressed a specific dunk animation that would sometimes not result in a made basket despite a successful dunk.

- Fixed an issue in private matches with friends where all users would disconnect when attempting to play a second game.

Holy crap. :lol

DMczaf

I'm just happy I never opened my sealed copy from launch. If I wasn't busy with Uncharted 2, I would have probably been tempted to open it right away before hearing about the problems

Thank you Naughty Dog!

whitehawk

Banned
Wow.. That's a huge path for day one.. And what about people who play offline? They won't even get that shitty patch, and they are stuck with a even more broken game.

Barrett2

Holy shit at that Arroyo pic. :lol

It should also be noted for those who haven't played it that 2K10 has the most comically bad game menus you have ever seen. I don't even know how it would be possible to design a worse interface for a game than this has.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
viakado said:
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7376/img0462q.jpg

[IMG]http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5732/img0463d.jpg[/QUOTE]

How does shit like this pass QA?

There was so much crazy shit in those patch notes but this one got me the most

- Addressed an issue where the user would enter into a game where there would either be no crowd present or the opposing team would not appear on the court.

Like WHAT, WHAT?!?! How does this possibly happen, it blows my mind. There are so many batshit crazy things in this patch that it's impossible to address them all, but wow. Wow.

Zeliard

Carlos got a nice arm tan.

chubigans said:

Holy crap. :lol

"Made dunk leads to missed basket" seems slightly serious. :lol

Smokey

It really is uncalled for. NBA2K10 shipped with some of the EXACT same day one bugs and NBA2K9. Extreme camera slowdown in 2K view, different framerates on different camera views on free throws.

They KNOW about this crap, and they still pull it. They know their engine is in dire need of replacement with all of this crap and they refuse to do anything about it. So fuck em. I've been loyal to NBA2K for 10 some years, and I'm not doing it anymore.

What's worse is if you speak up about this on their forums, the con artist admins will delete your posts. They are stealing people's money and they know it.

They're going off their name and that all the NBA stars play their game and have become stagnant and complacent with their product, and purposely deceiving customers of a purchase. So I want my $60 back.

Robot 492

Banned
VibratingDonkey said:
What's all this then? How could so many of them just gloss over all these issues?
Makes me wonder how much they actually played the game. Like, did they just give it a few quick rounds and throw together a review? I can't believe anyone would score this game as high as some of those reviewers did.

Barrett2

VibratingDonkey said:
What's all this then? How could so many of them just gloss over all these issues?

Sports games reviews are always suspect, IMO. PS3 especially had some really bad sports game ports from 06-08, but most reviews would just give the PS3 & 360 game the same score, yet claim they played them both. College Hoops 2K8, for example, was shit on PS3 compared to the 360 version, yet is one point higher on Metacritic, which is like some kind of terrible joke.

pilonv1

whitehawk said:
Wow.. That's a huge path for day one..

Wasn't a day one patch, took about 6 weeks from release. They claim to have fixed Pickup Games but I still can't connect to one.

As said above, NBA Live has a similar patch although not fixing as many basic bugs, and it caused issues with some PS3 owners I think.

NBA games this year haven't had the best run.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Thank you for this wonderful thread Smokey, this shit needs to be known outside of the sports gaming threads.

Seriously fuckkkkkkkk you 2K for stealing my hard earned money and fuck you to anyone who accepts and has no problem putting up with this piece of shit product.

10th anniversary and the worst bball product they have ever put out.

Top Bottom