• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: 'Rick and Morty' co-creator Justin Roiland (and Squanch Games Founder/CEO) faces felony domestic violence charges

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/intern...legations-domestic-violence-charges-rcna65403

Roiland was charged with domestic battery and false imprisonment in May 2020 after an incident with a woman he was dating, according to a criminal complaint.
Justin Roiland, the star and co-creator of the animated comedy series "Rick and Morty," has been charged with felony domestic violence in Orange County, California, in connection with a 2020 incident, according to a criminal complaint filed in May 2020 by the Orange County District Attorney. He appeared in court Thursday for a pre-trial hearing.

Roiland pleaded not guilty in 2020. Roiland and his attorneys didn't respond to requests for comment.

NBC News obtained the criminal complaint in the case, which charges Roiland, 42, with one felony count of domestic battery with corporal injury and one felony count of false imprisonment by menace, violence, fraud and/or deceit. NBC News is the first to report publicly on the case.

The complaint states the incident occurred on or about Jan. 19, 2020, against an anonymous Jane Doe who was dating Roiland at the time.

According to Orange County Superior Court records, Roiland pleaded not guilty to both charges in October 2020. Since then, the case has been the subject of more than a dozen court hearings, including pre-trial hearings. A trial date is not currently set.

chromhound

50cent-he-did-that-shit.gif

Jennings

Over the past three years, as the domestic violence case has inched along, Roiland’s career has progressed. He released an NFT art collection with over a dozen works in 2021, which sold for over $1.65 million. He released another NFT project in 2022. Roiland also sold his first painting via Sotheby’s auction in 2021.

Oh god, he's one of those NFT guys. Now I feel dirty for enjoying High on Life.

Jaybe

The purple forum loses their mind with this stuff, tripping over themselves to out virtue-signal the prior poster. Expect some people with sane takes to be banned and come back over here.

I don’t subscribe to ‘believe all women’. We’ve had a popular case in Toronto of Jian Ghomeshi who was acquitted, and recently Amber Heard shown to be a liar. I’ll see what gets decided in court and base my viewpoint following that.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
They really need to get rid of this Jane Doe shit.

Either both parties should be anonymous or both should have their names public.

If both are anonymous they can release the name of the person if found guilty after the trial. Likewise if found not guilty release the name of the accuser.

Last edited:
The purple forum loses their mind with this stuff, tripping over themselves to out virtue-signal the prior poster. Expect some people with sane takes to be banned and come back over here.

I don’t subscribe to ‘believe all women’. We’ve had a popular case in Toronto of Jian Ghomeshi who was acquitted, and recently Amber Heard shown to be a liar. I’ll see what gets decided in court and base my viewpoint following that.
The media decided Amber Heard was telling the truth from day 1 and has stuck to this narrative even after the trial. There will never be justice for Johnny Depp in this lifetime.

SaintALia

They really need to get rid of this Jane Doe shit.

Either both parties should be anonymous or both should have their names public.

If both are anonymous they can release the name of the person if found guilty after the trial. Likewise if found not guilty release the name of the accuser.
Uh no. He's a popular figure with a rabid fanbase. Release her name and she's gonna get harassed to hell and back.

Let the courts and evidence sort it out, the public doesn't need to know her name.

As for the charges, sounds bad, but unless I know the actual details, can't tell for sure how awful the situation actually got.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Stunned it wasn't Harmon first. That guy's not all together upstairs.

We'll see what comes of this I guess.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Looks like Rick Sanchez might have taken his love for 'pickle' Rick a little too far. Justin Roiland, the co-creator and voice of the mad scientist, has been charged with felony domestic violence in connection with a 2020 incident. He pleaded not guilty and the case is still ongoing, but let's be real, if anyone can come up with a crazy excuse for this, it's probably Rick. Maybe he'll claim it was all a simulation or that he's really a Morty from an alternate dimension. We'll have to wait and see how this develops, folks

Spokker

There's not much to discuss about the actual incident as almost everything from the case is sealed. The incident happened in 2020 and I'm surprised he managed to keep it under wraps and keep working the past couple of years. Imagine working on your cartoon and a big video game knowing this is hanging over your head and it'll come out eventually.

Since the details of the incident are sealed, all that there's left to discuss is how this affects the future of Rick & Morty, High on Life and his other projects. Microsoft dodged a bullet that this did not come out shortly before or during High on Life's highly publicized launch. I think that if he's convicted, and even if he's not convicted, it does not bode well for a High on Life sequel.

The marketing blitz for High on Life is pretty much over, but do you think Microsoft stops any residual marketing/prominent GamePass placement for the game? I doubt they pull the game completely though, even though Roiland is billed as the creator and star of the game. It doesn't help that it's their biggest GamePass game in recent memory.

Last edited:

Lupin25

"one felony count of false imprisonment by menace, violence, fraud and/or deceit."

Might just be some revenge. Let's see what comes of this.

Yeah uhh… He’s pretty much done I’d say.

These days, the accusation alone is enough unwarranted attention for most businesses with/without a verdict.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
do you think Microsoft stops any residual marketing/prominent GamePass placement for the game? I doubt they pull the game completely though, even though Roiland is billed as the creator and star of the game. It doesn't help that it's their biggest GamePass game in recent memory.

No. Game's out. They aren't gonna stop showing Rick & Morty episodes but if this turns out to be true there sure as shit won't be any more.

Skyfox

Innocent even if proven "toxic".

His recent work has suffered and now we know why.

The description of the "crime" feels like some bs false imprisonment by fraud?

I've suffered enough feminist shit the last decade to give these fairy tales the middle finger. Men have it worse when it comes to laws on domestic abuse. We all know it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Dude is going to trial for 2 major felonies...

This isn't some random Twitter accusation or something. DA's don't just charge for this shit on a whim as things tend to be hard to prove.

IntentionalPun

The description of the "crime" feels like some bs false imprisonment by fraud?

You know what the word "or" means, or what a comma indicates?

It's a criminal statute, not a description of the crime. Hence why it can be for various reaons.

Considering he was also charged with felony battery w/ physical injury...

Chances are the reason for the imprisonment charge isn't "fraud" lol

Last edited:

Teslerum

Not passing judgment quite yet (especially nowadays).

But yeah, subject matter itself means that a lot of media projects he's involved in will die.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Uh no. He's a popular figure with a rabid fanbase. Release her name and she's gonna get harassed to hell and back.

Let the courts and evidence sort it out, the public doesn't need to know her name.

As for the charges, sounds bad, but unless I know the actual details, can't tell for sure how awful the situation actually got.
So don't release his name too? Twitter Smurfs will be harassing him to no end wanting his head and nothing else. It works both ways. We should all wait for the final verdict.

IntentionalPun

So don't release his name too? Twitter Smurfs will be harassing him to no end wanting his head and nothing else. It works both ways. We should all wait for the final verdict.
Who the accuser is has no real relevance to the public.

Whether someone has been charged with crimes, is considered relevant. In rare cases, for some period of time.. that's sealed, but it's always eventually available.

In general across most law jurisdictions at least. Now Justin? He has the right to know who is accusing him, and he does.. that's part of the law.

Not quite sure why who is accusing him is relevant to anyone but him and law enforcement though, hence why that is allowed to be sealed.

Dudes about to go to trial so this shit was bound to get out.. if anyone had actually done background checks on him I'm sure it would have shown up to.. unless the "sealing" of the accuser they also argued in sealing the charges... but the charges eventually do have to be unsealed by law, before an actual trial s

Last edited:
Top Bottom