• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: 'Rick and Morty' co-creator Justin Roiland (and Squanch Games Founder/CEO) faces felony domestic violence charges

Kataploom

Gold Member
Hmmmm this is coming out right after his big success which happens to make certain political lefty branch "insecure" with its jokes and that got praised by everyone but by the press... IDK if this is true but if this isn't, it will unfortunately continue reducing credibility of real victims of domestic violence...

Spokker

Dude is going to trial for 2 major felonies...

This isn't some random Twitter accusation or something. DA's don't just charge for this shit on a whim as things tend to be hard to prove.
Well, they can make mistakes, but the DA in Orange County is not one of those progressive DAs.

Spokker

Hmmmm this is coming out right after his big success which happens to make certain political lefty branch "insecure" with its jokes and that got praised by everyone but by the press... IDK if this is true but if this isn't, it will unfortunately continue reducing credibility of real victims of domestic violence...
It happened in 2020 and he plead not guilty at that time. Considering how slow the justice system moves, I doubt anybody could time today's news to get at him.

Spokker

So don't release his name too? Twitter Smurfs will be harassing him to no end wanting his head and nothing else. It works both ways. We should all wait for the final verdict.
The complaint was filed in 2020 and he plead not guilty. His name had not been released for two years, in which time he was able to continue working. But court hearings are generally public and he had a pre-trial hearing today. Not much one can do to prevent it from getting out.

I agree that he has the right to face his accuser and I don't always agree with the journalistic practice of not naming accusers. But in this case the name of the accuser is not even known to the media, which tells me the judge is keeping it under wraps. Perhaps it's for a good reason.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Well, they can make mistakes, but the DA in Orange County is not one of those progressive DAs.
Yeah I mean I always wait to really form true judgements.

As far as I'm concerned I'd be fine with "arrests" never being reported, even though they are public info.

Charges are kind of another level though. Do I trust the justice system? Not entirely of course.

But you generally don't see felony charges, particularly ones not taken to trial, w/o pretty significant damning evidence.

And that inevitably will affect someone's career as well, I mean he's going to trial lol So while I'm not big on "cancelling" I would not fault any company for withdrawing a deal or making a statement of concern.

TrebleShot

I like Rick And Morty but High On Life was utter garbage no chance I’ll finish it, looks like shit, plays like shit and the humour is fucking diabolical

Don’t Idolize people cause anyone is capable of doing something wicked. You can like someone’s positive actions or their products but don’t idolize them. If this is true ( statistically speaking it probably is) it wouldn’t be shocking so I lose nothing cause I haven’t attached any morality to a total stranger.
Statistically speaking? Didn't know there have been studies on how many and how often Justin Roiland committed crimes.

SaintALia

So don't release his name too? Twitter Smurfs will be harassing him to no end wanting his head and nothing else. It works both ways. We should all wait for the final verdict.
I think the names of arrested persons are public information. Can be withheld for reasons, but victims names aren't typically given out like that, especially in cases of abuse to my knowledge.

I think if there's a lawsuit the name would be made public, but if it's just a crime, I think the name can be withheld for safety concerns, but I'm not a lawyer or anything.

Basically a victim and accused are in two separate boats where public information is concerned and in this case, it's in her best interests if she were not named.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

IntentionalPun

Not sure if serious.
Absolutely serious. It's just a fact. I mean that's true of literally any and all charges brought to trial. DAs/Prosecutors do not like to lose.

Vast majority of complaints do not end up w/ charges; those that do are almost always misdemeanor or plead down (AKA they really don't want to go to trial.)

edit: per Topher Topher there is a plea deal on the table here..

Last edited:

badblue

As for the charges, sounds bad, but unless I know the actual details, can't tell for sure how awful the situation actually got.
Ginger Squirrely Dan GIF by Crave

I think we've seen a few cases where not every thing was clear cut post-allegation. The recent Depp case for instance.
The complaint states the incident occurred on or about Jan. 19, 2020, against an anonymous Jane Doe who was dating Roiland at the time.

More information is needed before judgement. Even if it's rare, salty ex's spouting spurious claims about about someone isn't unheard of.

Spokker

So even if he is not guilty, he is basically done?
Most likely.

I'll compare it to a recent situation with the baseball player Trevor Bauer, who was accused of sexual assault. In that case, he was not charged with any crime, there are multiple text messages of the victim asking for rough sex, and there is a video of the accuser the next morning with zero injuries (she had claimed to have suffered two black eyes, busted lip and was treated for a suspected skull fracture). Still, he was suspended by MLB, released by the Dodgers and is expected to never pitch professionally in the United States again.

Now if Roiland is convicted or pleas out, and considering how much more unforgiving the animation/video game communities are, I suspect he will never work with a major company again. He may have to go the Louis CK route and just create smaller projects direct to his fans even if he goes to trial and is found not guilty. You may hear the Rick & Morty voice again someday, but I doubt it will be as Rick & Morty.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Absolutely serious. It's just a fact. I mean that's true of literally any and all charges brought to trial. DAs/Prosecutors do not like to lose.

Vast majority of complaints do not end up w/ charges; those that do are almost always misdemeanor or plead down (AKA they really don't want to go to trial.)

The article says there is a plea deal on the table.

Statistically speaking? Didn't know there have been studies on how many and how often Justin Roiland committed crimes.
I mean as far as women lying about abuse. More often than not where there’s smoke there’s fire. But that’s my opinion and that shouldn’t sway due process.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Why are they reporting him being charged in 2020 in 2023?

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Stunned it wasn't Harmon first. That guy's not all together upstairs.

We'll see what comes of this I guess.

Harmon already got to go through his "Trial by Public" after Megan Ganz (rightly) called him out for fucking up her gig on COMMUNITY with his constant professing of his love for her (and her telling him she's not interested).

. . .this really sucks about Roiland and basically - if true - kills R&M. Can't have two sex-pests on a show, much less leading it (though the two did step back for Season 6, which - while more hit than miss - definitely continued the slow roll towards absurdity that R&M has been on the last few seasons).

Oh, come on. You really think some folks saw that some indie, shit humor FPS got major buzz over the holiday season and "They" (whomever they are) got together to "Take him down" over. . .what exactly? The non-existent anti-Left jokes of R&M or SOLAR OPPOSITES (never played HOL or the previous game from the studio).

Kacho

Gold Member
It’s clear that this is some serious shit and they no doubt have evidence to prove his guilt.

With that being said, some of you morherfuckers are savage lmao.

daffyduck

Who the accuser is has no real relevance to the public.

Whether someone has been charged with crimes, is considered relevant. In rare cases, for some period of time.. that's sealed, but it's always eventually available.

In general across most law jurisdictions at least. Now Justin? He has the right to know who is accusing him, and he does.. that's part of the law.

Not quite sure why who is accusing him is relevant to anyone but him and law enforcement though, hence why that is allowed to be sealed.
And if he's acquitted, do you still think the accusers name is irrelevant to the public? His reputation is still shattered.

I know, anonymity is an incentive to come forward; but here's the thing, if the accuser is telling the truth, they should have no worry about being outed. Oh I know, an acquittal just means a miscarriage of justice.

IntentionalPun

And if he's acquitted, do you still think the accusers name is irrelevant to the public? His reputation is still shattered.

I know, anonymity is an incentive to come forward; but here's the thing, if the accuser is telling the truth, they should have no worry about being outed. Oh I know, an acquittal just means a miscarriage of justice.
I mean it's most likely going to come out anyways.

Being acquitted to me isn't enough to out an accuser no though, from the standpoint of how In think legal statutes should be written... that doesn't really make sense. It's not proof of any false acsusation.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

edit: per Topher Topher there is a plea deal on the table here..
I guess my comment was more about the competency of DA’s. Seems like guilty people are set loose all the time.

I’m just jaded to it all. Everyone sucks. Obviously some more than others. But the system is broken, social media destroys lives and doesn’t care if they’re right or wrong in the end, as the damage is already done.

IntentionalPun

I guess my comment was more about the competency of DA’s. Seems like guilty people are set loose all the time.
Well right.. that's sort of supporting what I said... they let a lot of people go who are guilty, I mean that's what our system is based around lol Error on the side of letting people go.

When DV charges happen it's often because someone did admit to "something".. if you are facing any sort of accusation, no matter how big or small.. don't say shit to cops, ever lol

I’m just jaded to it all. Everyone sucks. Obviously some more than others. But the system is broken, social media destroys lives and doesn’t care if they’re right or wrong in the end, as the damage is already done.
Also sometimes people harm or kill each other, and should be prosecuted for those crimes.

Last edited:

Three

Yeah uhh… He’s pretty much done I’d say.

These days, the accusation alone is enough unwarranted attention for most businesses with/without a verdict.
Perhaps you're right. One thing I would say is at least the person had the decency to file a police complain rather than take to twitter or something for attention.

Lasha

I hope that the charges are false and Roiland is acquitted because that would mean nobody actually suffered from domestic abuse. I will laugh if Roiland is proven guilty because of how he projected himself as a feminist before beating and imprisoning a girlfriend. I'm still going to beat high on life because I am almost at the end.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Oh, come on. You really think some folks saw that some indie, shit humor FPS got major buzz over the holiday season and "They" (whomever they are) got together to "Take him down" over. . .what exactly? The non-existent anti-Left jokes of R&M or SOLAR OPPOSITES (never played HOL or the previous game from the studio).
Idk, these people are weird if you ask me, so I'm just jumping to conclusions, speculating

The purple forum loses their mind with this stuff, tripping over themselves to out virtue-signal the prior poster. Expect some people with sane takes to be banned and come back over here.

I don’t subscribe to ‘believe all women’. We’ve had a popular case in Toronto of Jian Ghomeshi who was acquitted, and recently Amber Heard shown to be a liar. I’ll see what gets decided in court and base my viewpoint following that.
Believe all women should be said as "Investigate all claims".

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Has this anything do with actual gaming? Or are we just posting random controversy just for sake of it?

Seriously these days we are getting thread about controversy more than actual topics about games lately.

I'm not the biggest fan of his humor, but that's neither here nor there. I'll let the court pass judgement before expressing any feelings about this ordeal.

The one thing that's a done deal, though, is that his career is over even if cleared of all charges. The cartoon and videogame people REE at a much louder volume than other mediums, and he's already convicted in their eyes.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Weird for it to be coming out only now and without any substantial details. Hard to form an opinion without even hearing an account of what happened beyond broadly framed criminal charges.

Guess we'll see how it plays out in court.

Last edited:
Top Bottom