• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
The ACC tourney will be fun, both your Corrik Corrik team and my team (FSU) are double bye.

The long break until the top 4 seeds play is hitting me though. Thankfully CFBaseball is in full swing and supplementing my 5 day basketball hiatus just fine!

Good luck to UNC in the ACCT, we may meet again shortly!

Corrik

If we do, it is because you wiped out the top half of the bracket. So, we will see! Be nice to not have to play Virginia!

Corrik

Gonzaga might lose their 1 seed. They are 4-3 versus quad 1 and it could become 3-3 if San Francisco drops 2 ranks.

fatty

Huge Kansas fan, here. Losing Azubuike this year to injury and other player setbacks really had us struggling at times (playing horrible on the road) but to see the job Bill Self has done with the current team is commendable. I’m not going into the tournament with big expectations like I have in the past but will be hoping for the best.

I also can’t stand Duke or Kentucky. Don’t care for the Tar Heels, didn’t like Roy leaving at the time but I’m happy with the coach we have. I can’t tell you the amount of nervousness we had back when we played NC, I think for the first time since Roy leaving, at the 2008 Final Four.

Still one of my favorite pics/memories:

fatty

The Kentucky/Tennessee game was a good. KU couldn't hit anything yesterday against Iowa State...the team this year has been so inconsistent.

fatty

Anyone watching this Tennessee/Auburn game? Auburn is really taking it to them so far, we are in the second half and Tennessee can easily come back but things are not looking so good for them right now.

trikster40

Well, Arkansas Razorbacks fan here. I have absolutely nothing to contribute; we are never in the hunt for these big time recruits lol.

We get lucky every once in a while with a Bobby Portia, Joe Johnson, and now Daniel Gafford. Isaiah Joe is a legit threat if we can get some solid players around him.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not an NCAA fan, but I'll watch the final four.

But I watched the NC/Duke the other day. Wow. That was awesome. Can't believe NC blew it. I think they were up 10-12 pts at one point.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As usual, I'll root for Gonzaga to win. Not because I know anything about them (absolutely zilch), but I like the crazy sounding name of the school ever since 20 years ago when they started making the tourney.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Big Ten Tournament Final: Michigan vs Michigan St.
That Michigan State player getting carted off....that landing looked bad. Wonder if it's a bad ankle roll or he broke it? Definitely sounded bad as you could hear him screaming and crying on tv.

Last edited:

fatty

Bracket Selection Time!

East is done with Duke at #1 and MSU at #2. Louisville is going against Minnesota...Minnesota's head coach is Richard Pitino, son of Rick Pitino, former Louisville head coach. Interesting.

South has Virgina at #1 and Tennessee at #2. I do feel that Tennessee was good enough to get a #1 seed. I think my top four seeds would have been Virginia, Duke, Tennessee and Gonzaga

Midwest has North Carolina at #1 and Kentucky at #2. Auburn at #5 had a great run in their tournament and really took it to the Volunteers. KU is #4 in this bracket, and looking at the rest of the teams in this bracket, it is a very tough one. Iowa St., Houston and New Mexico St. are all very good teams.

West region has Gonzaga at #1 and Michigan is #2. Being a Big XII guy I see Texas Tech as a tough team but overall I think the bracket is one of the weaker ones.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
I’m so-so on FSU’s 4 seed in the west.

For one, I don’t think there are 12 better teams than us, so I think we should have had a shot at a 3 seed - especially since Purdue is above us and we beat them head to head, have a better top win (UVA vs. MSU) same amount of wins vs. top 25, and a better overall W-L record in a better conference. NCAA doing NCAA stuff.

Corrik

FSU should have been a 3 no doubt. UL is low at a 7. It was unfathomable of NC State not being given a bid. Big Ten with more bids than the ACC is a joke.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Yeah I am not sure what the deal is with the "Big Ten" hype this year.

I suspect it’s the same as with football (and any NCAA sport TBH), B10 has the longest legacy and footprint in college atheletic history (SEC hype has really only been a modern thing, the ACC has always marketed itself in a pathetic way, and the west coast conferences are basically their own entity), so they have a lot of representation in the organization itself.

It’s definitely a head scratcher at times though. One of the reasons I was on the unpopular opinion squad regarding the CFB playoff. The BCS had flaws but also didn’t have a lot of room for human bias. The selection committee is all human input (with natural bias), isn’t represented with equal officials from the conferences / regions, and is not exactly “transparent”. This garbage with “good losses” and “bad wins” has been a joke, and has taken a lot of luster from CFB for me. Not trying to derail the thread into a different sport, just a fun topic to talk about.

Good luck to your team(s) JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered and Corrik Corrik . We open against Vermont... in Hartford... so assuming we make it past that maybe our teams will meet down the road.

fatty

Anyone interested in doing a GAF bracket challenge for fun? Only thing is I’m not sure of a site that would allow us to do one without requiring everyone to create an account.

Corrik

Anyone interested in doing a GAF bracket challenge for fun? Only thing is I’m not sure of a site that would allow us to do one without requiring everyone to create an account.
I am sure we could do one, but we only have like 4 people who use this topic so it probably won't be very big and fun.

fatty

Pretty good start for the tourney so far. Big XII is doing well so far except for K-State getting upset against UC Irvine, though many picked that game including myself.

The Auburn-New Mexico State ending...NM down by two and they had an open layup to tie but he passes to a player outside for a three?? Ends up missing the three but gets fouled which bails them out, and only ends up making one FT. Crazy ending.

I am sure we could do one, but we only have like 4 people who use this topic so it probably won't be very big and fun.

True, hopefully it will grow in time.

fatty

Virginia down at half to a #16 seed and now North Carolina is as well to #16 Iona. Iona is on fire from three right now (10/21 at the half) but I don’t think it will hold up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom