• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Will Not Renew License With EA to use NCAA name [Up: EA still making College FB]

Jonboy

Update:

EA said:
Update on EA Sports and College Football

By now, most fans will have heard that EA's licensing agreement with the NCAA is set to expire and that we have agreed to part ways. I'm sure gamers are wondering what this means.

This is simple: EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans.
Source: http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-sports-and-college-football

---

The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes. Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...3/july/ncaa+will+not+renew+ea+sports+contract

JCX

Wow, interesting. I wonder if this has to do with the NCAA lawsuit about playing college players.

Dave Long

Banned
First domino to fall or an outlier among sports leagues? You gotta wonder if these exclusive deals aren't as good as they thought they would be...
Wow, interesting. I wonder if this has to do with the NCAA lawsuit about playing college players.
Could be this too...

Tripon

2K STRIKES BACK?!

No, the entire NCAA business model of exploiting its student-athletes is under attacked. The NCAA knows its in trouble and is doing whatever it can to prove it's really a 'non-profit'. Which is one of the biggest jokes you can tell.

What does this guy have to say?

southparkmoore.jpg

Mitsurux

This quote sounds bad:

But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

Sounds like there will not be any future NCAA games... at all???

Bgamer90

Banned
Read the OP folks --- there will more than likely not be any new NCAA football video game any time soon (from any company).

Reminds me of what happened with NCAA basketball games earlier this gen.

brandnew

This must be it. All that language about never allowing EA to use likeness, etc. is probably a way to cover their behinds.

Crazy stuff though.

krpiper

This quote sounds bad:

But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

I read this as they are opting out because of the player likenesses lawsuit

This quote sounds bad:

Wait...

Damn...

I wonder if...well...fuck

Still good news in many ways.

thefro

This quote sounds bad:

Wouldn't surprise me if you see "COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF" with only the big schools splitting all the money.

Vandiger

A 2K football game, some valid competition again. Use the Euphoria Engine, just to show how backwards football games have been.

krpiper

Read the OP folks --- there will more than likely not be any new NCAA football video game any time soon (from any company).

I think NCAA basketball just didn't sell very well.

Release it in fall: (when the season starts): and get crushed by COD, Halo, Triple A games
Release it in March: Short sales window, people will forget about college hoops in a month

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I hope this isn't true, NCAA football sells well and I'm still sad that no one makes an NCAA basketball game.

It would be unfortunate if the last NCAA football game was on the old systems. Could have been great on XBO and PS4.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The NCAA is just the sports body.

They don't control the teams likeness or stadiums.

The CLC (Collegiate Licensing Company) is in charge of all of the schools licensing agreements.

http://www.clc.com/

Sojiro

That is exactly how I read that too. After 2014 we may be looking at a long time before another NCAA football game is released.

Sounds like someone looking to make a college football game will have to go to every school directly or possibily approach a conference and work out a deal.

So there might not be a college football game after '14.

EDIT: Follow-up to what Stooge said, does the CLC also handle the BCS and coming College Football Playoff? That could be a way to do it.

Yep. It's up to the schools to individually participate if they want to. Sounds like that game would consist of incomplete football conferences/divisions at best.

I could see the big time schools like OSU, USC, Florida, UM, Alabma, etc. banding together to charge a hefty premium to have them in a game because what football game would sell without them?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sounds like someone looking to make a college football game will have to go to every school directly or possibily approach a conference and work out a deal.

So there might not be a college football game after '14.

EDIT: Follow-up to what Stooge said, does the CLC also handle the BCS and coming College Football Playoff? That could be a way to do it.

Hmm "B1G Football 2015."

Ew.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Yep. The idea of independently licensing with EVERY college INDIVIDUALLY is crazy. It would never work.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Someone read my post and stop jumping to conclusions. This is just the NCAA buttoning down the hatches.

Until the CLC says they aren't going to deal with EA there is still a game.

http://www.clc.com/

EA doesn't have to go to each school on their own. Look at the list of CLC clients: it will be fine. There might be a few outlires, but EA is getting their teams likenesses from the CLC.

http://www.clc.com/Clients.aspx

A 2K football game, some valid competition again. Use the Euphoria Engine, just to show how backwards football games have been.

You haven't played backbreaker have you? Or you'd know what you suggested is not the best idea, although that game did have some of the coolest looking tackles I've ever seen.

weevles

The NCAA-brand license is no longer on the table. But it sounds like individual schools are free to license as they see fit. I don't think any but the largest video game companies would even want to go near something like that where they had to chase every single college in Division I just to get them into their game. I'd expect EA to re-evaluate the game title, but it's still possible for them to continue making college sports games.

This doesn't sound great. I think it's unlikely that this the NCAA being like, "screw EA we won't sell to them but we're open to someone else." Sounds more like, "we aren't licensing our name to anyone," especially with the added line that they're totally ok with EA going to each school individually.

Maybe this is a good thing though. You can't use real college kids in these games due to NCAA rules, right? If the NCAA is bowing out and letting schools do whatever they want then maybe that will finally change.

Teletraan1

Banned
These games aren't even on sale in my country because of NCAA rules the last time I was into them, I had to drive over the border to even buy them. It would be cool if 2k could make Football and Basketball games featuring NCAA. The only problem for football is that old 2k5 team must be long gone so without the creative force who was behind that game it wont be the same any longer. That 2K Sports All Pro Football revival was shit wasn't it?

I presume that this is not the first time that EA has heard this decision.

Meaning that if EA wants to keep doing college games, they are already dealing with the CLC. Which is very likely. At the same time this means that other publishers (2K) may also be approaching them for licensing.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Back in the Genesis days there was unlicensed college football. Notre Dame was called "South Bend." Of course you couldn't see helmet logos and people didn't expect all 12 uniform variants for 120+ teams.

O'Bannon will get death threats.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Ha! The NCAA is trying to duck lawsuits from former college players, simple as that.

Hopefully this will shake up the NCAA games for the better

Top Bottom