• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCCA official unhappy with Tekken 7 character 'Josie Rizal'

Is this really a thing again? Are people in the Phillipines really this bothered about the character's name?

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...ial-unhappy-with-tekken-character-josie-rizal

Philippine officials are not quite happy with "Josie Rizal," the new Filipina character in the game "Tekken 7" named after national hero Jose Rizal.

An official of the National Council for Culture and the Arts said they may look for ways to "correct" the image of the national hero, GMA Cebu reported Tuesday.

"Mahirap natin mapigilan ang ibang bansa na gumawa ng ganoong character kasi ang Pilipinas, sikat na sikat sa mundo," said Dr. Leodenito Cañete, Visayas coordinator of the NCCA's Bayaning Bayan program.

The NCCA noted the Tekken character sports skimpy wear, with the costume bearing the colors of the Philippine flag.

The NCCA now plans to take steps to "correct" any wrong impression "Josie Rizal" may have given about Dr. Rizal and the Philippines though it did not immediately elaborate, the GMA Cebu report said.

For those who aren't familiar or didn't see it recently, Josie Rizal is a new Tekken 7 character designed by Bayonetta artist Mari Shimazaki and named by Markman from MadCatz.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpkDd4aiPUc

tk7ajosie.jpg

Alienous

This seems reasonable. Her name is similar to a figure that is highly regarded and respected, and it really only seems the issue is with her skimpy clothing.

So just change her name. Or her skimpy clothing (but Harada probably isn't down for that).

They're allowed to be unhappy with it. It's reasonable. Just name her Josie. Done deal, name stays similar and you aren't making people unhappy.

Jonnax

They're allowed to be unhappy with it. It's reasonable. Just name her Josie. Done deal, name stays similar and you aren't making people unhappy.

Her name is Josie which is very similar to Jose. And I think that's the reason why. Don't know much about the country's history but this seems like a misplaced homage.

Edit:
Lol @ trailer. When she wins she cries and says "can't believe I've won"
Well if this was supposed to in honour of their national hero, that's pretty insulting.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Doesn't sound like a legit offence issue. More like uptight hero worship.

Fighting games are full of cute allusions to real-life figures... This gets a big "deal with it" from me.

I guess the problem is that the devs are turning their male national hero into a female with skimpy outfit.
The correct image is what they're aiming for, so perhaps it'll be better if she wears a more reasonable outfit.

BocoDragon

I guess the problem is that the devs are turning their male national hero into a female with skimpy outfit.
The correct image is what they're aiming for, so perhaps it'll be better if she wears a more reasonable outfit.

I'd change the name - which is just a dumb pun - before I change the outfit. That isn't the real historical figure in any way.

Hey Americans... how mad are you about Abraham Lincoln in Code Name S.T.E.A.M? Enraged I'll bet.

Well, she looks nothing remotely like any Filipina I've ever met, so that would be the source of dissonance for me. If I didn't know and somebody asked me "what is the ethnicity of this character," I would probably guess 20 things before Filipina.

hodgy100

Sometimes you just have to deal with art being free. I hope Namco doesn't bend to the pressure.

lol art, if you were holding up something that wasn't just made as pandering fanservice you would have a point. but this is not that claiming this shouldnt be changed because "art is free" is ridiculous.

gimmmick

Yet if it was someone named Manny they would be all up in arms for acceptance...

I'm half Filipino and don't see what the big fucking deal is.

rouken

Yeah, i think im not comfortable with the outfit part and all. But i guess the name was decided after the character was created.

I wish they translated the actual comment too...

"Mahirap natin mapigilan ang ibang bansa na gumawa ng ganoong character kasi ang Pilipinas, sikat na sikat sa mundo,"

here man:

"It's hard for us to prevent other countries from making characters like this because Philippines is very popular around the world."

purdobol

Namco should change the name. I know that this character wasn't designed to be offensive or anything. But if it's not confortable with people in Philippines it should be changed/redesigned no questions asked. There's no reason to step on national pride/hero in a video game.

NM0dz

Neo Member
Why did the leave probably the most important part untranslated lol

well, the website's slogan is "The Go-To Site for Filipinos Everywhere", so it's implied that the target audience is fluent in both English and Tagalog I would guess.

jsnepo

Yet if it was someone named Manny they would be all up in arms for acceptance...

I'm half Filipino and don't see what the big fucking deal is.

I don't really disagree with what you said but what does being half Filipino got to do with anything? Does it put you in any authoritative position with regard to the matter?

BocoDragon

"It's hard for us to prevent other countries from making characters like this because Philippines is very popular around the world."

The irony is that this is the first Filipino game character I'm aware of. And already someone's mad.

That's really what this is... the first taste of being inducted into the global culture of digital media portrayal, and certain conservative elements aren't prepared for the exposure.

They'll develop a thick skin soon enough.

Yonafunu

"Mahirap natin mapigilan ang ibang bansa na gumawa ng ganoong character kasi ang Pilipinas, sikat na sikat sa mundo," said Dr. Leodenito Cañete, Visayas coordinator of the NCCA's Bayaning Bayan program.

yeah, totally

jsnepo

The irony is that this is the first Filipino game character I'm aware of. And already someone's mad.

That's really what this is... the first taste of being inducted into the global culture of digital media portrayal, and certain conservative elements aren't prepared for the exposure.

They'll develop a thick skin soon enough.

Talim from Soul Calibur is Filipina I believe but correct me if I'm wrong. There are a lot more from different genres.

BocoDragon

Talim from Soul Calibur is Filipina I believe but correct me if I'm wrong. There are a lot more from different genres.

Googling it, it seems you are right. Never knew that... and I often pick her ;)

To say there are "a lot" though... already we're speaking in generalities because none obviously come to mind. It's certainly uncommon.

As a filipino gamer, I was hyped a bit when josie was revealed. I think those ncca people are just over reacting. In fact, many philippine officials over react to things regarding our country being represented in media. I remember there was a book by Dan Brown (i believe, correct me if im wrong) that describes the philippines as an unpleasant country? They were pretty butt hurt about it too. Its hard for them to understand that its fiction.

I'd change the name - which is just a dumb pun - before I change the outfit. That isn't the real historical figure in any way.

Hey Americans... how mad are you about Abraham Lincoln in Code Name S.T.E.A.M? Enraged I'll bet.

In the game he's fighting aliens like a true American so it's all good.

Rurunaki

Why are people so uptight and humourless?
Its a video game. Get over it and stop being gigantic babies.

Well the thing is Jose Rizal is considered the national hero of the Philippines. A character in a skimpy outfit named Josie Rizal is too close for comfort for a country that is very kuch conservative. Just change the name.

dan2026

Well the thing is Jose Rizal is considered the national hero of the Philippines. A character in a skimpy outfit named Josie Rizal is too close for comfort for a country that is very kuch conservative. Just change the name.
No fuck changing the name.
They shouldn't bow down to humourless morons.

I wouldn't care if they reimagined Winston Churchill as a little girl. And called her Winnie Churchchill or something.

In fact fuck me thats amazing and should happen.

random25

There's really no need to change, really. For as long as she's not portrayed to be degrading, it's not a problem, at least for me.

Widge

Also, think of it in this way: US TV decides to wade in and walk over the lore of your favourite game, obviously referring to it but completely disregarding it and doing what they want with it to fit their purposes. You’d be a bit peeved, “hey! That’s my favourite game you’re destroying!”

Amplify that with years of legacy attached to a national and loved figure, then you’ve got an idea of where this is coming from. You can’t just go co-opt something because “video games”. Same sort of thing happened in music a while ago – plus an incident where Marquis Hawkes named an EP after Cabrini Green – being from the UK, unwittingly linking to a very problematic history because of unthinkingly hitting “house music, Chicago, urban, streets” imagery.

We’re a much more connected world nowadays, you can just go and trample on people’s cultures because you want to. Doesn't matter if you're ok with it or are less precious about your own icons.

I try to tell people to not say my name. You see, I share a name with the greatest President Ever, Abraham Lincoln. I can't play CN S.T.E.A.M, it would trigger me. I get it enough at work, people saying my name left and right. When they say my name, I get flashbacks of freedom and emancipation. I get the urge to box the closest person to me. My beard bursts out in its full mangy glory, and I get a feeling of needing something tall and black to cover my head.

I've tried to change my name, last time I went the judge looked at me and told me 'Why are you disrespecting our 16th president? Do you hate freedom, son?'. It's no use.

I understand how the Filipinos feel. I hope they rename the character, lest it trigger people with patriotism.

Madness

This seems reasonable. Her name is similar to a figure that is highly regarded and respected, and it really only seems the issue is with her skimpy clothing.

So just change her name. Or her skimpy clothing (but Harada probably isn't down for that).

That is entirely the point. She's meant to be named AFTER the hero. She is not the 'national hero' Jose Rizal herself. I didn't know Filipina girls weren't allowed to have skimpy clothing or colors matching the national flag. The creators of the game want this sexy girl representing the Philippines, it's why they named her that and why her outfit has the colors it does. Seems like a pretty small thing to get worked up about seeing as how it's not denigrating anyone, really.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What is the issue with dressing fighting game characters in their national colors? Wow i'm shaking in my boots from a character like Tiffany Lords(NSFW)

purdobol

I wouldn't care if they reimagined Winston Churchill as a little girl. And called her Winnie Churchchill or something.

Different culture's treat their heroes/traditions... well differently. People should respect that. Calling them " humourless morons" is a little bit much. Besides it's just a name.

Rurunaki

That is entirely the point. She's meant to be named AFTER the hero. She is not the 'national hero' Jose Rizal herself. I didn't know Filipina girls weren't allowed to have skimpy clothing or colors matching the national flag. The creators of the game want this sexy girl representing the Philippines, it's why they named her that and why her outfit has the colors it does. Seems like a pretty small thing to get worked up about seeing as how it's not denigrating anyone, really.

What is the issue with dressing fighting game characters in their national colors? Wow i'm shaking in my boots from a character like Tiffany Lords(NSFW)

Like I said, Philippines is a very CONSERVATIVE country. I'm a filipino that grew up in the United States and I do not care or even raise an eyebrow to rhis types of things. However, Philippines is still being run by the Old Guards (Think Republicans, but amplified and with the fervor and backing of the Catholic Church).

Top Bottom