• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Near has passed away (BSNES author)

Dodkrake

Banned
No one pushed him to do anything. Kiwifarms is shit but calling it on kiwifarms is just wrong, most of his social beef was with 4chan if anything. He was unstable for years and very confrontional even before he became furry. There is a reason why multiple people who worked with him badmouthed him and he effectively quit emulation scene being heavily depressed he wasted his life on it while not doing something important in his life.

I sincerely hope you never have to deal with a mental illness (and I'm talking anxiety, depression, bipolar, etc)

The last thing he should have done witb his mental diseases was to stay on internet.

Yes, people with mental illnesses don't deserve to be online. Lock them up /s

Moreover the kiwi thread about him was like 13 pages at the time which mostly covered his spat in emulation community + his tweets giving advice to minors on how to get hormones and advicing them on srs. Nothing major.

Daily reminder trans have 40% suecide rate regardless if they transition and attempted suicide is much higher than that.

Stop pulling numbers out of Ben Shabibos ass and get your facts checked. Those numbers are wrong.

Those people shouldn't be near any kind of social media.

RIP to him if true. It is a shame that we live in society where instead of helping such people we just push them into self harm by encouraging their delusions.

After shitting on them, you then you then proceed with a RIP section. How cute.

dave_d

do people actually behave like them IRL? if so thats kinda scary
Unfortunately when people think they're anonymous some of them become monsters IRL. Just look at some of the antics people do when driving. Intentionally cutting people off, tailgating when they can easily go around, nearly forcing people off the road, or trying to control other peoples' speed. (Both faster and slower.)

MiguelItUp

Honestly, it's really sad what's become of some of the people in this world. That some folks could be so defective that they find "entertainment" in pushing and harassing individuals. Furthermore I hate that there are people that are attempting to defend KF, when in my experience, there's absolutely nothing about KF that would be worth defending. I've had very close friends and family that were doxxed, threatened, and harassed via KF, and they were not in the wrong for absolutely anything at all. KF just decided to mislabel them as SJWs, which they weren't in any way. But KF didn't understand the situation they were involved in, and to be honest it was none of their business. However, they chose to involve themselves and take a side in a situation that they knew absolutely nothing about. Which eventually ended with them being doxxed, threatened, and harassed for months. Those that were targeted just ignored everything the best they could, contacted law enforcement when required, etc. Eventually, after sometime, all of it just kind of phased out. But no one was deserving of such a thing, especially them.

Please do not attempt to defend that place, especially in this thread.

What happened to Near is disgusting and unforgivable. The fact that there are people that could say such vile things about a human being and their life is absolutely horrendous. Absolutely no one is deserving of such a thing.

My condolences McCheese McCheese , and to anyone that knew B byuu at all. RIP.

People with mental issues should stay away from internet.
If only things were that easy. The internet is an incredible resource, something that everyone should have the ability to partake in if they choose to. Mental health, as you know, is a vast and deep well. It can be incredibly complicated. On one end, there are people that have severe mental health issues that choose to target and harass others online. On the other, those with severe mental health issues that become the targets. I just wish folks on both sides could receive the care that they need to have the best life possible, especially since the internet and world can be such a terrible place. But the unfortunate reality is that there are parents/care takers out there that don't watch over these individuals (or children), as much as they should, and with the internet nearby they're allowed to do as they please. It's unfortunate, to say the least.

Decades ago there was a point where, for a lot of children and individuals, the TV was their everything. They'd be glued to it. Well, now its the internet, and that can be beyond problematic for a hefty load of reasons.

Both parties are equally bad

This is what I've come to learn. I used to think the far right was inherently worse than the far left. I've now realised either ends of the extremes are two sides of the same stupid.

You are now on the path of enlightenment. Nobody likes extremists, even those on the same "team".
Very true. The older I've gotten I've just realized I don't like radicals on all sides. People with extreme or radical mindsets don't do a whole lot of good for themselves, or others. It's important to be aware of such things, for the well being of others, as well as your own.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Big fan of his work. Never thought to even look or consider the people behind it. Cyber bullying is hard for me to understand if I'm being honest, but I can empathize for him. Sad situation and a shame he couldn't get the help he needed. He leaves behind a legacy though that will introduce or has introduced the joy of gaming for almost assuredly literally MILLIONS of people which I hope brings comfort to those that were close and are hurting.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

They confirmed the death yesterday. Sad to see this. But I think they're really dead. Rest in peace.

Why should anything this person on Twitter posts be considered "confirmation"? Like, I could go make a Twitter account right now and claim I talked to the Tokyo Police and they totally gave me this very personal information!

Still not seeing anything on Japanese news sites, and while it's not impossible that it wouldn't be reported, given that the person was a foreigner, I'm guessing it would get at least a few articles.

Michele

you.
Shouldn't we be reporting this site and that thread specifically?

I'm thinking of reporting but I'm not sure how to proceed about it. But from what I know, apparently if you try to report them through Cloudflare (or the DMCA takedown notices), the reply gets forwarded to you. Basically they use your info to their advantage when you try to report them.

SoraNoKuni

Why should anything this person on Twitter posts be considered "confirmation"? Like, I could go make a Twitter account right now and claim I talked to the Tokyo Police and they totally gave me this very personal information!

Still not seeing anything on Japanese news sites, and while it's not impossible that it wouldn't be reported, given that the person was a foreigner, I'm guessing it would get at least a few articles.
I am following Hector for quite a long time, he is trustworthy and has been in the scene for as long as I remember.

Topher

Gold Member

They confirmed the death yesterday. Sad to see this. But I think they're really dead. Rest in peace.

The KF site seems to be down, if that is so, good riddance to them. They need to get in trouble for this.

Looks like KF is getting hit with a DDOS attack.

This is what I've come to learn. I used to think the far right was inherently worse than the far left. I've now realised either ends of the extremes are two sides of the same stupid.
I used to refer to myself as far left until i discovered twitter and regretera

now I'm embarrassed to have once been associated with the name

I'm still a commie tho, just not a sensitive snowflake/everyone who disagrees with me should be canceled type commie

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am following Hector for quite a long time, he is trustworthy and has been in the scene for as long as I remember.

You don't think there's anything suspicious about a guy claiming that he called a Japanese police department and they happily confirmed the death of someone he has no relation to? That's case-closed confirmation?

I must admit, I'm hoping this is a hoax and that this guy did not off himself, but even without that bias, the way the "news" is being disseminated thus far is highly suspicious in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michele

you.
You don't think there's anything suspicious about a guy claiming that he called a Japanese police department and they happily confirmed the death of someone he has no relation to? That's case-closed confirmation?

I must admit, I'm hoping this is a hoax and that this guy did not off himself, but even without that bias, the way the "news" is being disseminated thus far is highly suspicious in my opinion.
Why are you talking like that news about his passing isn't true? Do you not like him or something, how can you be that nonchant? If he didn't pass away he and his other mutual friend would NOT be reporting on this one.

Though there is one point that would be true. If he indeed was in Japan, then being a foreigner, there might be some articles about that in Japan.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you talking like that news about his passing isn't true? Do you not like him or something, how can you be that nonchant? If he didn't pass away he and his other mutual friend would NOT be reporting on this one.

Though there is one point that would be true. If he indeed was in Japan, then being a foreigner, there might be some articles about that in Japan.

I try to avoid taking claims I read on the Internet at face value, especially when things I have knowledge about indicate those claims are highly suspect (Japanese police department confirming a death to a non-relative). I'll be right in line to say "RIP" with everyone else if this were truly confirmed, but at the moment, it certainly isn't passing the sniff test for me.

tsumake

I just heard about this tragedy. BSNES is the cornerstone of cycle accurate emulation, an incredible contribution. RIP.

I’ve never heard of Kiwi Farms before. Yeesh. What makes KF so terrible? Do they censor and ban dissenting opinion?

Michele

you.
I just heard about this tragedy. BSNES is the cornerstone of cycle accurate emulation, an incredible contribution. RIP.

I’ve never heard of Kiwi Farms before. Yeesh. What makes KF so terrible? Do they censor and ban dissenting opinion?
Not only, from what I hear they apparently drive peoples to suicide, even going as far as to intervene into IRL relationship.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yeah, at the time bSNES started, it no one was doing that kind of thing. The approach was totally different, it was about working the result backwards, instead of working down to the metal and making the emulation more accurate. And in SNES emulation especially the old way was considered "good enough" for a lot of people until bSNES showed how much better things can be. It's great to see others trying to follow that approach now. ParaLLEl is the first really good N64 emulator I've ever seen, for example.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not only, from what I hear they apparently drive peoples to suicide, even going as far as to intervene into IRL relationship.

It's basically in that 4chan/Voat territory of being way too "edgy" for my sensibilities and I tend to avoid it, but maybe don't comment on what a thing is based solely on hearsay? I mean, a good portion of the "progressive"/woke Internet wouldn't hesitate to call NeoGAF a forum for Nazis, white supremacists, and bigots, but all of us who post here know that is not true.

Last edited by a moderator:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This is really sad. I suffer from mental illness and I know how hard it can be. For this very reason I have zero social media presence outside of this forum and two others (guitar and sports forums). The world away from the internet is SOOO much better than the world inside it. Please, if you suffer like me, just walk away, you don't need it and healing can be found in the natural world, with or without other people.

Last edited:

tsumake

It's basically in that 4chan/Voat territory of being way too "edgy" for my sensibilities and I tend to avoid it, but maybe don't comment on what a thing is based solely on hearsay? I mean, a good portion of the "progressive"/woke Internet wouldn't hesitate to call NeoGAF a forum for Nazis, white supremacists, and bigots, but all of us who post here know that is not true.

GAF doesn’t punish someone for their beliefs. KF sounds truly horrible.

Velcro Fly

Funny how people are all on board with highlighting how bad the kiwi farms are but when someone involved with Night in the Woods killed himself because of ResetERA and SJWs on twitter, when a Christian game creator who created FNAF had his pregnant wife threatened with death because of leftist redditors, people just said "that was bad oh well" and moved on.

It is just part of the blatant hypocrisy of those places. Shrouding yourselves in a veil of "the right side of history" gives you the free reign to act however you want and not think twice about it. Part of the danger of the echo chamber is behavior like this becomes more and more acceptable as you are just a number in the mob and desensitize yourself to what is actually happening.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Stop pulling numbers out of Ben Shabibos ass and get your facts checked. Those numbers are wrong.

If you claim his numbers are wrong and you don't provide a source, you don't look any different than him: just another guy pulling numbers from thin air.

nkarafo

I followed the whole thread in kiwi farms right after Byuu's last twitter posts.

The weirdest part about this story so far is the supposed e-mail exchanges.

If these are real, then it appears that Byuu talks about a "trusted friend" of his that was supposed to offer some proof of his death a few hours after the fact.

What kind of friend is that? If a friend of mine told me he is going to kill himself and i should do this and that afterwards i would do something to prevent it instead?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The weirdest part about this story so far is the supposed e-mail exchanges.

If these are real, then it appears that Byuu talks about a "trusted friend" of his that was supposed to offer some proof of his death a few hours after the fact.

What kind of friend is that? If a friend of mine told me he is going to kill himself and i should do this and that afterwards i would do something to prevent it instead?

Yeah, I saw that, but couldn't tell the truth of it (any more than the Google doc, though), but you are right that is one fucked up friend if all of this ends up being true. Aiding and abetting a suicide.

I will (sadly, because I don't want the guy to be dead) eat crow if it turns out the guy is actually dead, but the current mess of circumstantial evidence and hearsay points toward this being a potentially poorly thought-out hoax.

evanft

The KF site seems to be down, if that is so, good riddance to them. They need to get in trouble for this.

This is the same person who posted the google doc yesterday. So far they're the only source on this. I haven't seen another source come through yet, though it may simply be too early.

Funny how people are all on board with highlighting how bad the kiwi farms are but when someone involved with Night in the Woods killed himself because of ResetERA and SJWs on twitter, when a Christian game creator who created FNAF had his pregnant wife threatened with death because of leftist redditors, people just said "that was bad oh well" and moved on.

I believe the quote is, "No bad tactics, only bad targets." or something to that effect. It's typically used by people who want to justify their own disgusting behavior.

Last edited:

evanft

Goodbye Byuu. Never knew him personally but I am very familiar with his fantastic work, through which he will live on for a long time to come.

Yes, people with mental illnesses don't deserve to be online. Lock them up /s
I could be wrong but I think the angle being gone for is more "If you know x thing is causing you problems why would you continue to wilfully engage with it.", rather than "Take away their rights!".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The person who wrote this:

Also wrote this?

Please don't just blindly believe that it is mild. There could be other things that has happened behind the scenes.

When the former is based on hearsay and the latter is about actual archived public posts...

I'm not going to go to bat for that site, but I would implore to be a bit more objective about things, because it really looks like you value hearsay from agreeable sources over publicly available information when deciding what is likely to be true or not.

Michele

you.
The person who wrote this:

Also wrote this?

When the former is based on hearsay and the latter is about actual archived public posts...

I'm not going to go to bat for that site, but I would implore to be a bit more objective about things, because it really looks like you value hearsay from agreeable sources over publicly available information when deciding what is likely to be true or not.
Fair enough. But I still do not like them anymore. I shall post the source below...

I will admit that I'm not very knowledgeable on the topic surrounding KF, but I had seen a tweet talking about that forum that had drove 2 or 3 other peoples to suicide, and this is the link for the petition: https://www.change.org/p/please-hel...ed_by_id=fa19d550-d837-11eb-bfbe-bfca1ab09aee

While this is not the complete history, this should clear things up at least: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Kiwi_Farms

Oh, and they also leave some more graphic videos up, they apparently have this Christchurch graphic video up on their video (as of this post, I'm not sure if it was taken down but knowing them, probably not). But really it's one of the worst places you could imagine. I'd think it's much worse than even Resetera.

For now there has been a DoS on that site and I am happy. It should be like this that way. Hopefully something more destructive.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Idk looks to me like all kiwifarms did was make this person upset enough to do what he did before anything else could've.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully something more destructive.

So you're cool with online abuse and denial of service attacks as long as it targets those you do not like and suspect of wrongdoing?

There's only one way this kind of thinking goes.

If laws have been broken, then the offenders should be investigated and prosecuted to the full extent of the law, wherever they are, but demanding vigilante justice (as such it is) or attempting to coerce hosting sites to deplatform is not the way to go in my opinion.

Michele

you.
So you're cool with online abuse and denial of service attacks as long as it targets those you do not like and suspect of wrongdoing?

There's only one way this kind of thinking goes.

If laws have been broken, then the offenders should be investigated and prosecuted to the full extent of the law, wherever they are, but demanding vigilante justice (as such it is) or attempting to coerce hosting sites to deplatform is not the way to go in my opinion.

I am not necessarily okay with it, so I'd say you're right, but in this situation I personally think they deserve it, whatnot with their previous offenses (starting from 5 years ago, when they got someone to commit suicide IRL). If the site doesn't go down, I don't really care anyways, but I hope peoples will use this information to mind and try to steer away from that site after what happened.

That last sentence of yours may be correct, but in this case, once again, the problem is, according to this tweet:

It's not advisable to try to send a DMCA takedown notice or report the forum to Cloudflare because they can forward it to the owner of said forum. Which in the case, might lead to your personal information being leaked. So the fiasco on Twitter is the only way to at least get attention without involving personal information, although that forum will try to take advantage of these peoples regardless of the intent.

In truth, I feel really angry because someone I knew and did follow, has passed away in such a horrible way. From BSNES creator's tweets, he had also lost one of his friends to a similar fate because of the forum's harassment. I know this is not the right way for you, but for me I just want all of this to end, even if it might not be want I want anyways. I don't want others to suffer a similar fate as them and I'm afraid that it will become worse if this keeps up, albeit with other peoples.

I'm going anyways to cool off my anger.

EDIT: Dreamhost is now trying to do damage control:

Their forums also keep saying that services will continue to be disrupted unless they can find a provider, but I highly doubt there's any providers willing to take on that site after the fiasco.

Last edited:

evanft

I actually just took a look at the thread over at KF. Near actually made some posts there earlier in the year, and the response from the community on the whole seemed to be positive, or at least as positive as you can expect from that kind of community. The more recent posts looked like more typical forum discussion.

I'm really curious as to exactly what happened. Part of me thinks they had some kind of episode or other event in their life that pushed them over the edge. Or maybe it was a medication problem. Sadly we'll never know.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
He showed absolutely no remorse in what happened to Near either. I think he posted his conversations with Near as some kind of boast. Sickening.

He's an incel who still lives at his mom's house well into his adulthood, running a cringey discussion forum that seems to exist for sad broken people to try and make fun of others. He comes off like a sociopathic fifteen year old virgin - but sadly is, again, a grown man.

Given all of their activity of directly harassing people I am surprised they can still find a host or haven't been sued into oblivion.

Andrea23

Maybe it's been posted but here's the thread on KF about Byuu. Honestly, I was expecting something way more brutal. https://web.archive.org/web/2020092...net/threads/byuu-byuu_nyan-setsunakun0.43056/

Based on what I've read Near had mental health issues and could never get them sorted.

RIP and it's unfortunate you never got the help you needed.
I was of your opinion, until I stumbled upon this, single, reply:

(I put under Spoiler given the wickedness of the message ...)
this thread was pretty meh from the start given it’s mostly a biography that isn’t very funny and later revealed to be projection from a disgraced OP. not our fault this nigga went and got groomed by garden variety twitter trannies because otherwise it would have died

Is the hint clear? Near's discussion thread IS the exception, the essence of that deviant community is what you just read above.

Pure evil.

Last edited:
Top Bottom