• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

near (Vita App) | Scanning local Vita chums for all dat Game Goods

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
mochuuu, I have worked in a large company before and I know the issues. The difficulty will be in the follow-ups.

Does the PSN community management team intend to follow up with the Near team later to see what resolutions they come up with ? If it's a one way, fire-and-forget thing, it will end up like a suggestion box -> trash can interaction eventually. ^_^

Would be great if we can have a community blog to see what they say !

I know where you're coming from, but no worries, I'm hell bent on making sure my time isn't going into a blackhole. =)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Also, the activity wall needs notifications. I like the idea, but would love to know when people like and post on my activities whether it's in near or in Live Area

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Also, the activity wall needs notifications. I like the idea, but would love to know when people like and post on my activities whether it's in near or in Live Area
Agreed. It should go straight to the notification system. However I have a feeling this lies outside the Near team's control.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think it's automatic. I wonder how many gifts I've given out, especially with my Uncharted plat

Sera O

Banned
Near is really emphasizing the fact that I live the life of a medieval villager. I live close to my work and the city centre and everything is in walking distance, so I don't cover much ground during the work week. My km count is so, so, so sad.

I've found it pretty cryptic as to how presents have been handled in the games I have. I think it would be good if there were a more consistent way to see this on a game to game basis (currently the only way I can check is by looking at my game list on the radar map to see what games have presents next to them). I would like it if there were some kind of near area on the game start screen - where the manual and webpage links are - so I could easily see what I have made available on near for each game. Also sometimes when I go to make a gift and get the "you updated within the last hour" message, it would be helpful to get an indication of whether the gift is going into a queue for the next location update or not. I am pretty sure they are, but it took me a bit to figure that out.

I have like, 2 friends though and they are both ps3 and nearless so anyone short on friends feel free to add me. userid volpanic. I've got hot shots golf, katamari, and lumines so far.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I think it's automatic. I wonder how many gifts I've given out, especially with my Uncharted plat
It's done manually in Lumines. I'm not sure yet how Hustle Kings handles it. Those are the only games supporting Gifts in my collection.

Been scoping this thread to gather what some of people's questions and suggestions are for Near. We're meeting up with the Near dev team soon; so if anyone has any suggestions, questions, etc; would love to know!

thanks!

- morgan

Curious, are the near developers from SCEA/SCEE or from Japan?

patsu

To the PSN community management team...

How 'bout a promo with B&M stores to use Near to gift *real* coupons ?

BurningNad

6942508993_cbc886f83c.jpg

Doing pretty good despite having a wifi vita. Thank you, job, for sending me all over Brooklyn. :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I got a notification from Near that I've acquired a bounty for Uncharted and that I should go to game's black market to claim it. I ignored this for a couple of hours, and now that I activated black market, there's nothing to claim. Not even the carved fetish :( Why is this?

Toki767

I got a notification from Near that I've acquired a bounty for Uncharted and that I should go to game's black market to claim it. I ignored this for a couple of hours, and now that I activated black market, there's nothing to claim. Not even the carved fetish :( Why is this?

Uncharted bounties expire within 3 hours I believe.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So... housemate and I are in the same place. Connecting to the same wireless router. We each have wifi Vitas. Everything is set the same in both our units. He can use Near and get location lookup via wireless, but whenever I use Near, it fails out and says it can't communicate.

Technology!

rbanke

Today near has stopped working on my WiFi Vita. It was working fine, and now I get the "An error has occurred" super informative error. I tried doing the system reset but that made no difference. Has anyone heard any official word on whats going on with this? The only helpful thing related to it I can even find is to try resetting the Vita, and trying to test the internet connection, but that hasn't helped.

patsu

Today near has stopped working on my WiFi Vita. It was working fine, and now I get the "An error has occurred" super informative error. I tried doing the system reset but that made no difference. Has anyone heard any official word on whats going on with this? The only helpful thing related to it I can even find is to try resetting the Vita, and trying to test the internet connection, but that hasn't helped.

Which option did you use to "reset Vita" ?

patsu

So... housemate and I are in the same place. Connecting to the same wireless router. We each have wifi Vitas. Everything is set the same in both our units. He can use Near and get location lookup via wireless, but whenever I use Near, it fails out and says it can't communicate.

Technology!

Heh heh, I can't think of any reason why your unit would behave differently. What exactly was the error message ?

rbanke

Which option did you use to "reset Vita" ?

The one that is labeled 'Restore Settings'.

Edit: I found some posts earlier in the thread that talk about doing the full system restore, If that's the case I think i'll just wait for a patch or an official explanation of how to avoid the problem since it could happen all over again.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I've had my wi-fi Vita since day one and I've only got near to obtain my location once (the first time I used it), now it just continually says "could not obtain data for your location", all my other online features work fine.

Is this a known problem?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Has anyone discovered why the number of people in any given location keeps growing at a fixed rate? (3 people every scan in my case)

Is the number commutative, and keeps track of repeated check-ins, not just unique ones?

I'm really loving the app, and I hope it keeps growing and utilized. But it still confuses me.

patsu

I've had my wi-fi Vita since day one and I've only got near to obtain my location once (the first time I used it), now it just continually says "could not obtain data for your location", all my other online features work fine.

Is this a known problem?

Does it include a time limit ? Like "Could not obtain data for your location within 40 minutes" ?

patsu

Nope, just says what I quoted, could it be due to my nat type being @ 3?

Hmm... I think NAT Type 3 have restricted access to PSN (Need to open ports). But I am not completely sure if it will affect Near. What happens if you connect to one of the public hotspots ? (Like Starbucks).

Has anyone discovered why the number of people in any given location keeps growing at a fixed rate? (3 people every scan in my case)

Is the number commutative, and keeps track of repeated check-ins, not just unique ones?

I'm really loving the app, and I hope it keeps growing and utilized. But it still confuses me.

sony's near is working. people are interested when they check with their friends ;P jk

I brought my vita to work. 5 people in the area had a vita! awesome.

and i started playing UMVC3 just to give out gifts lol.

patsu

Darn I thought Near works via GPS in real time, I need a wifi spot, correct?

It works with GPS in real time. You don't really need a WiFi hotspot to pinpoint your location. However the application (e.g., Google Maps) may need a WiFi connection to download the map data.

An asynchronous app like Near can store your GPS locations as you wander around, and then when you finally find a working WiFi hotspot, talk to the servers to process your location history.

I was about to ask about the density of the app, but realized it was in the OP.

Everyone has 1-20miles and my radar was within .3-.5 miles. Really surprising.

SOLDIER

I exchanged my Vita a couple of days ago, restoring the settings I backed up on my PC. Since then, I haven't been able to get Near to work.

I keep getting a "an error has occurred" message after it says it's sending my location info.

I tried the internet connection test method posted here, but that didn't work. Any other ideas?

I exchanged my Vita a couple of days ago, restoring the settings I backed up on my PC. Since then, I haven't been able to get Near to work.

I keep getting a "an error has occurred" message after it says it's sending my location info.

I tried the internet connection test method posted here, but that didn't work. Any other ideas?

I know when you first start Near it gives you optional settings, did that appear, once that didnt appear for me and Near didnt work, had to reset to factory default.

Salaadin

I was about to ask about the density of the app, but realized it was in the OP.

Everyone has 1-20miles and my radar was within .3-.5 miles. Really surprising.

Mine is always 1 - 3 miles but then yesterday it just dropped down to .3 - .5 but kept showing the same amount of people. I dont know why.

SOLDIER

I know when you first start Near it gives you optional settings, did that appear, once that didnt appear for me and Near didnt work, had to reset to factory default.

I got the agreements, but I think that was it.

When resetting to factory default, do I have to reset the memory card too? If not, will I lose any data if I don't back it up first?

i brought the vita with me to work. did some miles on it just to see. got 5 people playing. checked again around the same area. and noticed one of the people who added me near my house was around the same area. unsure if that's right or not lol. creepy.

oh and to be clear; this isn't a Q and A type thing =) just questions that I can relay to the team to influence the development roadmap with some input from the folks who are using it. I'll just be gathering the feedback so can't promise a two way discussion i'm afraid.

How about making it more clear how the emoticons you can select for each game are used? Also including options different from "So awesome". I get what their going for, but if emoticons are gonna have any meaning you have to be able to warn people about bad games. If they're all great they're meaningless.

Riptwo

I'm digging Near, but I still can't get Uncharted's Black Market working for me with my wi-fi Vita. It won't let me select a category to actively seek! Usually when backing out of the black market, it won't ask me to update my selection, though it has asked a couple of times. After going back into near and updating, however, the black market still says that I'm seeking out 0 items the next time I sign in. Anyone else experiencing this?

anyone else get errors on near now all the time? first few days i had my vita it worked perfectly fine, now I always get errors at any access point.

:(

I even hard reset my system

I don't think it grows at a fixed rate. Looking at the history of my updates the numbers of the last 5 from last to earliest is 119, 116, 114, 115 & 116.

Top Bottom