• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neat freaks of GAF, unite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky

"A place for everything, and everything in it's place."

Judging from the various photo threads we've had of gaffers' dwellings, I'd say there are a good number of you here who like things to be neat and organized. You know how it is... the carpet must be vacuumed, the tv remote aligned on the table just so.

While I don't consider myself a true neat freak in the OCD sense (I don't alphabetize my books, or freak out when someone shifts something from it's place), I certainly like to keep my place clean and clutter-free.

Mmmm, windex!

dustingtm4.jpg

Xzior

I sure wish I was a neat freak sometimes. But whenever I clean up the place, it always ends up a bit chaotic after awhile (like 4 days or so).

Rorschach said:
dirty_room.JPG

Hay guys does it hurt you to see rooms like this?

It's not "dirty" (like this room) but everything is out of place and thrown about.
That's pretty disgusting.

When stuff is out of place in my house, I better be ****ing piss drunk or else I'll freak out. All my friends know this.

I am OCD and all my DVD's, books, cd's etc. are in alphabetical order and I get pissed when someone puts it back in the wrong order. I can't stand to have shit on my floor. Everything in my house has a specified place.

**** THE MADNESS!

Certain things have to be organized at all times. My DVDs and games, for instance. In fact, if either of those collections ever outgrows their assigned storage areas, a new one must be located or purchased immediately. I cannot stand having to put one or two DVDs in another location because I'm out of space.

Other things...not so much. I'm no slob (especially if we're using Rorschach as the 'standard' slob), but when I'm in the midst of a project my office tends to be filled with stacks of paper. Sometimes I even resort to taping outlines and project maps on the wall. And if I have to leave the dishes in the sink for a night...even two...during a particularly busy time I'm not going to kill myself.

Wow, what a boring post.

tnw

Banned
I'm a total neat freak. It gets a little bit messy towards the middle of the week. I alphabatize my books. I clean out the drain with a snake.etc.

My parents would go to our cabin on the weekends, I would spend most of my saturday cleaning up after them and organizing the house the way I felt it should be.

Some of the things people think I'm a neat freak for is kind of wierd. One girl was shocked that I put my futon etc. away every morning. What's wrong with that? Another girl was like 'I bet you iron your clothes for work, don't you' Well hell yes I do!

tnw said:
I'm a total neat freak. It gets a little bit messy towards the middle of the week. I alphabatize my books. I clean out the drain with a snake.etc.

My parents would go to our cabin on the weekends, I would spend most of my saturday cleaning up after them and organizing the house the way I felt it should be.

Some of the things people think I'm a neat freak for is kind of wierd. One girl was shocked that I put my futon etc. away every morning. What's wrong with that? Another girl was like 'I bet you iron your clothes for work, don't you' Well hell yes I do!
:lol :lol

WTF? Where does she work that she doesn't have to iron her clothes? **** man, I used to iron some of my stuff for school (the nicer clothes).

tnw

Banned
AlanHemberger said:

WTF? Where does she work that she doesn't have to iron her clothes? **** man, I used to iron some of my stuff for school (the nicer clothes).

Hey, this is why I think Americans are slobs. I think she was referring to some roommate she had in college at Cornell that would wake up early to iron her casual clothes before lecture.

Now what that has to do with *me* working a job that has a dress code I don't know. Her boyfriend is a law student too (although from what I've seen a lot of firms are business casual *rolls eyes*), so who knows where she's coming from.

tnw said:
Hey, this is why I think Americans are slobs. I think she was referring to some roommate she had in college at Cornell that would wake up early to iron her casual clothes before lecture.

Now what that has to do with *me* working a job that has a dress code I don't know. Her boyfriend is a law student too (although from what I've seen a lot of firms are business casual *rolls eyes*), so who knows where she's coming from.
We're not all slobs =(

tnw

Banned
AlanHemberger said:
We're not all slobs =(

I know. But man, a lot of us are. I'll see some overweight couple in ill fitting jeans and sweatshirts with some ugly tennis shoes, and you know immediately where their passport is from. Kind of embarrasing.

tnw said:
I know. But man, a lot of us are. I'll see some overweight couple in ill fitting jeans and sweatshirts with some ugly tennis shoes, and you know immediately where their passport is from. Kind of embarrasing.

It's so true that it's sad. =(

sky

I've had the "ironing" comment too, I don't get that. People seem strangely amazed that you'd bother to take care of yourself, or your belongings :lol.

I wonder if the cleaning thing typically gets better or worse over time. Although it can still be a chore, there's something very therapeutic about the acting of organizing.

*goes to wash hands 3 times*...

tnw

Banned
sky said:
I've had the "ironing" comment too, I don't get that. People seem strangely amazed that you'd bother to take care of yourself, or your belongings :lol.

I wonder if the cleaning thing typically gets better or worse over time. Although it can still be a chore, there's something very therapeutic about the acting of organizing.

*goes to wash hands 3 times*...

cleaning is totally therapeutic. Can be a stress reliever.

One OCDish thing I can think of that I do, before I leave my apartment and I always kind of revel in the clean orderliness of my aparmtnet. Some might call it 'checking', an OCD trait, but whatever.

I kind of take pride in it. Any one who has done the JET program knows that the apartment they give you has been occupied by your sometiems many predecessors that leave all kinds of assortes crap in the apartment. Those first two weeks I totally purged and rearranged the apartment, and all of my office really liked what I did with it.

ghibli99

Yeah, I like things neat and organized. I'm not as anal/picky about the tangle of wires behind my A/V setups, since I reorganize them at least once or twice a year, and unbundling/untying them every time can become a headache. I probably won't care about that much until I can dedicate an entire room to a custom home theater setup, but that won't be for at least another year or two.

Dirtiness/filth, though, I'm intolerant of... I see how badly people treat their workspaces and the bathrooms at work, and I wonder how these pigs must live at home.

I spent at least an hour today organizing and reorganizing our Christmas gifts into boxes so they fit in the car better! I'm not finished!

Allen

I’ve been said to be obsessive compulsive. Oddly, it only affects my personal habitat. I have the need to be rid of anything impractical—this has left me with only 100 possessions (yes, exactly 100 things—I could name them). If you think about it that leaves almost no room for anything ‘comfortable’, for instance I’ve sacrificed my furniture (I have none), media, electronics, knickknacks (pictures, etc.) for basic necessities: cleaning supplies, clothes, hygienic items, and food.

In regards to food I’ve stopped grocery shopping at grocery stores. I have no kitchen supplies except a chef’s knife, a tea kettle, a juicer, and a blender. I grocery shop once a month and make all my food for that month that day. Everything I consume is a shake. I drink only water that I purchase in bulk that month (Pana) and tea every morning. Needless to say this takes up about half of my item allowance (52 items).

Oddly I have no problem in other surroundings—thankfully this is why I’m not obsessive compulsive. If for instance I stay at my girlfriends apartment that night I have no problem sleeping in a bed in her messy room, if I go out to eat I have no problem using one of my pre-made shakes another day, and so forth.

I have a lot of primitive friends, and we live very similar lives actually. In fact, they’re the cleanest people I know even when they don’t brush their teeth, use soap, sleep in a bed, etc. It’s funny, they often refer to me as their futurist friend.

I only write all of this because I don’t have a LiveJournal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom