• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NECA Toys director outright says Crash Bandicoot is coming back

The whole "Sony never actually owned crash/spyro" blurb has got to be common knowledge by now, at least around these parts. Even so, I don't think he even implied that he thought Sony owned them. He pretty clearly states that they should have acquired it, and not let it go down the path it did.

Except Universal weren't a tiny little company that needed Sony's money. There's absolutely no chance they would've sold off what were, at the time, two of the biggest IPs in the industry.

Oh I completely expect Sony to have a hand in this, but still would rather them not. Oh well.

How many Crash games did you buy on oXbox/GC/360/Wii? At this point, Sony's involvement is the only reason anyone's even interested in this rumour.

Ravage

bYTw7rt.jpg

(no hints, right Sony)

0fFDGkq.gif

Look, his cold in the rain and all alone.... Save him Sony-san

d2Nb3yQ.gif

It would make him so happy!

3czei1f.gif

You never know how he'll repay you!

Lol ^^

First time seeing that Twin Sanity gif.

How many Crash games did you buy on oXbox/GC/360/Wii? At this point, Sony's involvement is the only reason anyone's even interested in this rumour.

Wasn't addressed to me, but the only one I bought off of PS or PS2 was Crash of the Titans and its immediate sequel, which I bought on Wii because they were the lead versions during development.

Having replayed Titans recently on PS2 instead, I prefer the PS2 version. So that being said, I am not "only interested because of Sony" but I'll be picking up the PlayStation version if Crash's return is multiplatform all the same.

SNURB

Isn't AAA decided purely off of budget and resources? I don't think it's some megabudget game, no.

I have no idea how that works honestly. It's probably a AA game but in terms of resources, I distinctly remember Insomniac stating that the assets for the game came straight from the film when the game was announced last year, hence the high production values and quality.

I think Crash could work as a AA game, in vein of Sly 4. MAYBE AAA but that's a bit farfetched. Were the classic Crash games considered AAA titles?

Drencrom

I think Crash development should aspire to become Sony's equivalent of the main Mario games. So all out AAA+.

Yeah, if Sony actually went through all the work to get their hands on the Crash IP somehow, I really don't see why they wouldn't want to invest in it and make it Playstation's go-to platformer.

I still do think a modern "AAA" Crash game is most likely substantially cheaper to develop than games like Uncharted 4 though.

Heh, when I first linked this video it was at over 3,000 views or something, and now it's at nearly 90,000. Great exposure for NECA Toys and the PixelDan channel I guess!

the crash thirst is real

SNURB

I think Crash development should aspire to become Sony's equivalent of the main Mario games. So all out AAA+.

I was gonna say this but I feared that I would've got backlash by people saying that would be wasting money :V

But yeah, I could see a AAA+ Crash game in the works. I just want to see that the developers put a lot of effort into the game and Sony/Activision marketing it properly in order for it to be a success.

Yeah, if Sony actually went through all the work to get their hands on the Crash IP somehow, I really don't see why they wouldn't want to invest in it and make it Playstation's go-to platformer.

I still do think a modern "AAA" Crash game is most likely substantially cheaper to develop than games like Uncharted 4 though.

i agree with this mindset. if they get it, i want them to give it the honest try.

The developers I know say it's related to budget and marketing spend mainly. It has nothing to do with the actual quality of the product.

then I'd venture a guess Ratchet isn't AAA. could be wrong.

the crash thirst is real

it really really is.

SNURB

Now that you mentioned it, I could see Crash working as Sony's "go-to" mascot platformer for the PlayStation brand. It would fill the gap, right up there with Ratchet.

Also, unrelated but did anyone else find it weird that the shirt Shawn was wearing didn't have a Naughty Dog logo nor a Universal Studios one? I know a majority think it's a shirt from twenty years ago but I believe that the shirt was made specifically FOR PSX for Shawn to tease with. A popular interpretation is that this was their way of letting us know they're up to something but can't really talk about it yet. After all, it wouldn't be the first time Shawn wore a shirt related to an upcoming game.

Also, unrelated but did anyone else find it weird that the shirt Shawn was wearing didn't have a Naughty Dog logo nor a Universal Studios one?

I do think it's odd that Universal nor Naughty Dog are on the shirt, but it could have been a Sony internal project shirt.

SNURB

I do think it's odd that Universal nor Naughty Dog are on the shirt, but it could have been a Sony internal project shirt.

Still though, wouldn't the developer and publisher still be credited if this was a shirt from 1996?

I doubt that this shirt was from 20 years ago but seems pretty weird not to credit them if it was.

Still though, wouldn't the developer and publisher still be credited if this was a shirt from 1996?

I doubt that this shirt was from 20 years ago but seems pretty weird not to credit them if it was.

Not necessarily if it was just a shirt for the internal team at Sony.

SNURB

Not necessarily if it was just a shirt for the internal team at Sony.

Now that you put it that way, I guess.

Another thing I spotted, that Crash logo on his shirt wasn't used for the first game. This was:
image:10299

Something tells me that this was made specifically for the event. Hmmm...

KyleCross

Apart from boatloads of nostalgia, how can they make Crash Bandicoot relevant again?

Honestly nostalgia is their best bet in the sense they need to make it a traditional platformer. There isn't much they can do for relevance. Platformers aren't really popular anymore if your name isn't Mario, but for them to take Crash in a more "modern" direction would be a mistake. We don't want an open-world character action game starring a Bandicoot, as awesome as that may sound. Only chance this franchise has is to stay a stellar platformer series. We've had some great platformers in recent years too. They don't draw in the numbers that shooters do, but so what? As long as they do well enough to be successful and they're great games that's all the matters.

Apart from boatloads of nostalgia, how can they make Crash Bandicoot relevant again?

Crash still is relevant no? Depending on how you look at it. I'm sure the prime reason why Sony is bringing him back in a big way is because his games frequently top the PS1 Classics charts on PSN every month. Like FFVII, VIII and IX, the original Crash trilogy and CTR are regularly fixtures on that particular top ten chart, and after so many years of collecting data, Sony couldn't ignore that there is still much love for those platform-defining titles given how they sell. Now they're finally doing something about it.

SNURB

Crash still is relevant no? Depending on how you look at it. I'm sure the prime reason why Sony is bringing him back in a big way is because his games frequently top the PS1 Classics charts on PSN every month. Like FFVII, VIII and IX, the original Crash trilogy and CTR are regularly fixtures on that particular top ten chart, and after so many years of collecting data, Sony couldn't ignore that there is still much love for those platform-defining titles given how they sell. Now they're finally doing something about it.

Also I might add that it's the franchise's 20th anniversary.

Also I might add that it's the franchise's 20th anniversary.

I think it's still plenty relevant for anyone who pays any kind of attention. The response any Crash rumor gets is off the charts for a reason.

Theoris

Neo Member
Wasn't sure whether to post this (and apologies for the 'necrobump') but I notice the 'Official Naughty Dog Live Stream' on the PS4 has Crash as it's logo.

Now, unless I've missed something, why would they use a redundant Activision owned IP for their representative icon? Hmm..

Wasn't sure whether to post this (and apologies for the 'necrobump') but I notice the 'Official Naughty Dog Live Stream' on the PS4 has Crash as it's logo.

Now, unless I've missed something, why would they use a redundant Activision owned IP for their representative icon? Hmm..

There isn't any tort in using a suggestive avatar, they're free to use whatever avatar they please. It would be something else if they claimed to own the IP in this current moment.

Hmm have a look at other developers to see the pattern. They'd still opt to display it over uncharted/their logo.

Well, they developed and worked on the franchise originally. Taking that into consideration, that doesn't seem like an illogical choice. Especially, given they are considered by many to be affiliated with the IP.

I understand what you're seeing here. But, for the time being its a long shot.

Rumors about Naughty Dog reaquiring the IP are circulating which may eventually get confirmed.

PSqueak

Banned
Hmm have a look at other developers/'personalities' to see the pattern. They'd still opt to display it over uncharted/their logo.

I think what is interesting is, they're using "Modern" Crash, rather than, you know, the crash design they made.

Crash has a fun setting and vibe, but the would need to change the formula pretty substantially to justify a current gen, decent budget release.

In other news, bring on Knack 2!

Goddamn I want Crash back so much. Especially after seeing how well Ratchet and Clank has done. It's just making me dream more of how amazing a crash game could be.

Top Bottom