• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a great different game to play on pc

Dargor

Hi guys, I dont make threads, so pardon me if the formatting isn't pleasant.

But my objective is simple, I want to buy something different to play, but I dunno what, so this is where you guys come in. Help me out, if it would please you.

Gonna show some games now, to give you all an idea of what I mean by "different".

Recettear An Item's Shop Tale

222019-recettear-an-item-shop-s-tale-windows-front-cover.jpg

I dunno if you guys know this game, but its awesome. You play as an item shop owner and you have to buy and sell things to pay off a debt left by your father. It also has a dungeon crawler aspect but its not as fun as the item shop, since its very basic.

Crusader Kings III

118158.jpg

This one I'm sure most people at least heard about, since its one of the bigger "niche" games around. Its a strategy role playing game where you start off as a ruler of some land and your objective is to expand your realm and your dinasty. It's like an excel spreadsheet simulator, you gonna be looking at lots of panels and stuff. Its really fun, if you like the genre.

Its also referred to as a grand strategy game by some or a map painting game by others...

And lastly...

Mount & Blade: Warband.

mnb-warband.jpg

So, this is a classic, I bet alot of people here played it, and most heard about it. This one is a sand box game, a rag to riches simulator. You begin being a nobody and can end up as the ruler of all. You can be a merchant, a raider, a ruler of men, almost anything. A true rpg.

The battle system is fun, as you command your soldiers in real time battles in a very partcular way. I dunno any other game that plays like this one. Its one of those games that have a genre all of their own. Excuse my ignorance here with these claims, I sincerely do not know any other game that plays like it, I know of games that copied some of its gameplay ideas, much in the sense of the soulsborne games or dungeon crawlers, where one particularly successful game can sprout a legion of sequels and copycats (with varying levels of quality.).

Well, there it is guys, hope this helps out with what I mean by "different" and that maybe these are also games that some of you would actually like to play and never heard of. Which, if I'm being honest, was also part of the reason why I wanted to make this thread. To share some of my favorite games.

Bkdk

Haydee2, thicc person weird puzzle solving game, gun and enemy animation isn’t polished but character design is well rounded front to back, if the devs haydee interactive will be given the funds to replace remedy for control sequel, I will definitely be a lot more excited for it. The game also comes with mod edition so there could be some great customizable content coming out over time.

also fun visual novels- house party and being a dik season 1.

Plus a older game Called Kenshi, you can install mods ans turn it into slave trader simulator.

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Return of the Obra Dinn is amazing. You’re a life insurance adjuster deducting death mysteries on a pirate ship.

From the same developer is Papers, Please. You’re a border control officer.

Great topic.

Last edited:

Shrap

291777-legend-of-grimrock-linux-front-cover.jpg

I think Legend of Grimrock would be right up your alley. It's a hybrid of an old school grid based dungeon crawler and a modern RPG that doesn't play like anything else (especially nowadays). I found it impossible to put down once I started playing and the sequel is even better.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Had fun with Talisman Origins. It's a SP version of the board game with around 20 or scenarios to plow through. It combines various expansion sets mix and match style during each set of scenarios. Each scenario lasts anywhere from 20 minutes. Some lasted probably 45 minutes of grinding.

I avoided the standard Talisman game (which has MP), since I don't want to bother playing online or playing against bots. I just want to get to my turn and play with various sets included. although some scenarios have some AI bots to add some competition. The original game is just the plain main board with each expansion set being $5 each.

Game gets kind of repetitive as your goal is ultimately to buff up asap when you start a scenario and then follow through on the quest when you think you are strong enough.

The game can be finicky using cards as you got to use it at the right time of your turn or else it won't let you. And the game save crash on me (only one save), so I had to restart a level wasting an hour.

The game is also low spec. So even my 3-4 year old laptop ran it smooth as butter.

Music gets grating. Little variety.

I went in chronological order and have got through maybe 75% of the scenarios. Definitely a quality control issue as the earlier books of scenarios seem good and lengthy. But as I progress, they seem to get shitter and shorter like the devs lost patience. Probably why I stopped playing.

Was worth $8.

Last edited:

Dargor

Thanks for the suggestions guys, most of those I already know, but unfortunaly, they aren't what I'm looking for right now.

From the ones I didn't heard of, Princess Maker stood out for me. I searched it up and the most recent one was 5 and it looks interesting, gonna keep an eye out for it, since the art style looks similar to Reccetear's.

Here's some weird, colorful ones. Definitely 'different'

____

I-have-one-question-what-are-those-meme-44037.jpg

Just joking my friend, but those really are out there :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons for the Genesis/SNES

During the mid 16th century you can sail around the world, make exotic discoveries, duel pirates, trade, expand your nation's influence, take on other nation's armadas, build and upgrade your fleet, and enjoy six different intertwining RPG campaigns.

It's 2020 and there STILL isn't anything else on the market quite like it.

teezzy

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions guys, most of those I already know, but unfortunaly, they aren't what I'm looking for right now.

From the ones I didn't heard of, Princess Maker stood out for me. I searched it up and the most recent one was 5 and it looks interesting, gonna keep an eye out for it, since the art style looks similar to Reccetear's.

I-have-one-question-what-are-those-meme-44037.jpg

Just joking my friend, but those really are out there :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles:

UwHUapT.jpg

You said different!!! :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Dargor

So guys, kept looking and maybe I found something.

Did any of you play Tiranny or Battle Brothers? Do they achieve what they promise?

Granted, they aren't completely new, but they do look to be trying to do their own thing.

A game where your choices actually change the game and another where you manage your mercs company and decide where to go and when. Sounds interesting.

Dargor

Funny thing, was probably gonna buy Tyranny. Was just waiting for my credit card to close this month's bill, but Epic is gonna be giving it on the 10th.

So,

images

Last edited:

Holammer

Terraria is Minecraft in 2D, but with more structure and bosses. It's very popular but still different enough.
Crosscode plays like a long lost Saturn Action RPG with mindbending puzzles. Hi! Hi! Bye.
Gemcraft is a chill tower defense game, this one is the most recent and it's hard as nails. Might wanna start with the previous.
Muse Dash is a *dirt cheap* rhythm game with a bit of fan service. Music is mostly J-Pop & chiptune style stuff.
Touhou: SoHW is a high quality fangame. If you ever been curious about bullet hell games or the TH series, it's free.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So guys, kept looking and maybe I found something.

Did any of you play Tiranny or Battle Brothers? Do they achieve what they promise?

Granted, they aren't completely new, but they do look to be trying to do their own thing.

A game where your choices actually change the game and another where you manage your mercs company and decide where to go and when. Sounds interesting.
If you like Mount & Blade you have to play Battlebrothers.

Dargor

If you like Mount & Blade you have to play Battlebrothers.

Yeah, thats what I'm looking for now, since tyranny is gonna be a freebie.

Noita is good and different.
Risk of Rain 2.
Don't Starve and Oxygen not Included.
Kenshi.

I own kenshi and don't starve.

Kenshi is really good, but boy is it a slog, not for people that don't like to grind, even though there are plenty of exploits, as per usual.

Don't Starve I didn't get into, just couldn't enjoy my time while playing it.

Top Bottom