• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need advice on which gaming monitor I should get.

Madflavor

So Reddit is being completely useless in answering this question, so I'll rely on you guys on this one. I'm currently working towards a new PC setup before Cyberpunk 2077 drops in November. The rig I'm aiming for is a Nvidia RTX card and Ryzen 5 3600 CPU. So I also want a good monitor to accommodate that. I'll be using my PC for gaming (obviously), but to also watch tv/movies, nice and crispy looking.

Option 1
Option 2

In short, one is 27" Full HD with 240hz, the other is 32" QHD with 144hz. I don't know which would be better for me, cause I've spent my PC gaming career with a shitty 720p 60hz monitor, so I got no real experience on which of these monitors would be better suited for me.

Rikoi

If budget is not an issue:
This is what I have an it's fantastic

Of the two options you listed if you don't mind the lower resolution I would go with the second one because IPS panel.

Last edited:

Ascend

Anything over 120 Hz is going to give you diminishing returns. 240 Hz really is overkill for most people. I think the size will be more beneficial than the crazy high refresh rate. If you're planning to play competitively, the 240 Hz might possibly give you a very slight edge. Other than that, simply get the bigger higher res screen with the lower 144Hz refresh rate.

SpartanN92

Banned
I’ve got a deposit on one of these... release isn’t until “Q4 2020” though.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
32" QHD with 144hz
32'' is too big for 1440p, 27'' is the sweet spot for this resolution. 32-34'' and beyond is the best for 21:9 1440p or 16:9 4K. The problem is that really good 1440p (16:9 / 21:9) 144Hz IPS panels are hella expensive for now. Also, it is pointless to buy 4K monitor now cuz you can't max it out even at 60Hz in very demanding games, let alone 144Hz which is years away to be possible. 1440p 16:9 is the sweet spot imho, 1440p 21:9 is way more demanding and you'll have to wait longer to max it out at 144Hz. Also, don't even think about 1080p unless you can't afford GPU which can handle 1440p with 90-144 FPS.

Last edited:
The difference between 60hz and 144hz is incredible. However going from 144hz to 240hz starts getting into that area of diminishing returns..

For PC gaming, I find 1440p 144hz to be the sweet spot. You get the higher resolution for crisp games, while still able to hit high framerate on a reasonable budget build.

Go for the 1440p 144hz, you won't regret it, Cyberpunk will look and run great on it.

Also.. It doesn't look like the monitor you linked here supports HDR.. HDR on pc monitors typically is not as robust as tvs, with much lower brightness and color depth. But it still makes the image pop a bit more than a SDR display.. check it out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088YN9LBK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Text doesn't look great on my 24" 1080p, so I personally wouldn't touch a 27" at that resolution.

I'll add my vote to 27" 1440p 144hz. Can't comment on IPS as I've never used it for a monitor.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Go for the 1440p / 144hz. It's a great sweet spot which more than doubles what you have now, and you aren't going to get close to 240hz in something like Cyberpunk.

Also, don't get an ultrawide without trying one in person first (or knowing that you can return it), not everyone falls in love with them. I didn't. Was neat for a while but wasn't what I wanted in the end.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
To give a bit more information on monitor sizes and PPI:

32" 3820x2160 = 138ppi
27" 2560x1440 = 109ppi
27" 1920x1080 = 82ppi

Ideally you want above 100ppi on a monitor with how close you are to it at a desk. My 24" 1080p is 92ppi, so in line with being slightly less than ideal.

llien

1440p is a minimum.
GSync is dead, avoid it. FreeSync is supported by both AMD and NV.
Ultrawides have laughable vertical size, so if it is considered, then at least 32".
Why would normal gamer need refresh rate above 144Hz?

There are more important parameters than just frequency and size.
Contrast, color reproduction, black levels, screen uniformity.

I'd suggest visiting this site:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Yes TFTCentral is a great site.

I say at least 1440p and at least 120hz. Anything above that is nice but remember much more taxing on your GPU.

Relativ9

I got the Acer Nitro VG1 a few months back, really great monitor for the price. You get a 27" IPS display panel with HDR400, 1440p resolution, 144Hz with Freesync (and G-sync compatible), and despite being an IPS display it only has 1ms latency(typically it would be around 5ms).

I got it for like 500usd, which all things considered is pretty cheap for a monitor with those specs, super happy with it.

Last edited:
Guys thank you for all of your insight and sound advice. It helped me come to my decision. I went with a tweaked version of Option 2.

Link
27” 1440p 144hz

With an Nvidia card you will need to connect via Displayport to the monitor to use G-Sync compatible mode.

For optimal results with games + gsync recommend by Blurbusters and Battlenonscense
* leave vsync enabled in games
* cap FPS to limit just below max refresh rate e.g. 144Hz then cap to 141 to leave a little 2-3 FPS wiggle room as FPS caps aren't always static. This max frame rate feature is built into the Nvidia control panel, it's equivlant to the Ultra Low Latency feature in the drivers but it for 'reasons' that only works with certain games (so leave it disabled), it's easier to just manually cap the FPS and get the lower input lag across the board.

With all of the above your good to go, for some games you will have to sacrifice some detail to get that improved motion clarirty at 100+FPS. Lastly DLSS also works with 1440p displays not just 4K so it can be used to if the game supports it.

Some other good PC monitor sites (not bogus shill sites)

nemiroff

Gold Member
I have only two (expensive) options that I'm going for this fall:
The Samsung Odyssey G7 (32 inch version, 1440p, 240Hz, HDR600) or the Samsung Odyssey G9 (49 inch ultra wide, 1440p, 240Hz, HDR1000 and HDR10+).
I'm holding off my decision right now because a) I'm building a new RTX 30XX PC. b) There's been a temporary recall because of production issues for the G9, looks like they are sorting it out.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
1440p 144hz is not only the current PC gaming sweet spot but it's also the better option if you're looking to play games like Cyberpunk.

240Hz Full HD would be the better option if you mostly play competitive games.

nkarafo

The difference between 60hz and 144hz is incredible. However going from 144hz to 240hz starts getting into that area of diminishing returns..
That's not true when we are talking about crappy LCD technology. It needs more and more hz in order to reach the motion clarity of a CRT. There is a huge difference between 120/144 and 240fps when there is a smooth scrolling picture or text on screen. As long as those 240hz are used (i'm not talking about locked 60fps content running on a 240hz screen) the image is pretty much clean of blurring and sample & hold artifacts (almost). I played a few games that my PC could run at 240fps (like Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom or some older games) and the motion was crystal clear at 240fps, close to a CRT, but still pretty blurred at 120/144 fps.

If you have access to a 240hz monitor, this test clearly shows the difference.

https://www.testufo.com/

At 120/144 fps, everything is still blurred and you can barely separate the white rectangles on the UFO. At 240fps it's almost perfectly sharp but the UFO still has some blurriness. That's why i think 360hz should finally reach CRT quality.

Last edited:
If you care about image quality, get one with ULMB (or equivalent, different brands call it different things.) It's not as perfect as a CRT or a Plasma but it's damn close and it's like night and day without it.
Don't fall for marketing tricks and lies - for example High refresh rates alone don't fix motion blur, it only reduces it very slightly...to the point where it's barely any better at all. You need a strobing backlight feature like ULMB to actually fix it. Another common mistake everyone makes is thinking "response time" is input lag - it's not. Also there is no standard methodology for coming up with specs, so manufacturers make up complete horse shit numbers like "million to one contrast" and "1ms input lag" which are always lies. Check third party reviews for proper stats if you want them.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Guys thank you for all of your insight and sound advice. It helped me come to my decision. I went with a tweaked version of Option 2.

Link
27” 1440p 144hz

Just ordered that myself earlier this week. Seems to be the consensus choice for an affordable IPS 1440 144hz and has been in high demand and difficult to get

Last edited:
That's not true when we are talking about crappy LCD technology. It needs more and more hz in order to reach the motion clarity of a CRT. There is a huge difference between 120/144 and 240fps when there is a smooth scrolling picture or text on screen. As long as those 240hz are used (i'm not talking about locked 60fps content running on a 240hz screen) the image is pretty much clean of blurring and sample & hold artifacts (almost). I played a few games that my PC could run at 240fps (like Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom or some older games) and the motion was crystal clear at 240fps, close to a CRT, but still pretty blurred at 120/144 fps.

If you have access to a 240hz monitor, this test clearly shows the difference.

https://www.testufo.com/

At 120/144 fps, everything is still blurred and you can barely separate the white rectangles on the UFO. At 240fps it's almost perfectly sharp but the UFO still has some blurriness. That's why i think 360hz should finally reach CRT quality.

Agreed, I won't deny 240 is better, but there are some considerations here for this particular use case. First that the game has to also render at 240fps which even at 1080p likely won't happen with Cyperpunk, which is the game OP is looking to play.

Considering the desired game is Cyberpunk, I think the increased resolution at 1440p with 144hz will provide a great clear and smooth experience for that game.

However for competitive games, 240hz all the way. I'm with you on that.

Last edited:

sabirpathan

Neophyte
Hello, you are asking for monitor advice but the best thing is you should know what type of monitor suits you because at the end it is you who knows what types of game you want to play or what is your requirement.s

amryoussif

Neo Member
Definitely, an RTX 2070 can run games smoothly on 1440p 144Hz displays.

However, you may need to lower the settings a bit on some intense, action-packed games. Some of the other graphics cards that can run 1440p 144Hz include:

• GTX 1660 Ti
  • Radeon 5700
  • RTX 2060
  • Radeon 5700XT
  • RTX 2060 Super
  • Radeon 5700 XT Anniversary Edition
  • RTX 2080 Super
  • Radeon VII
  • RTX 2080 Ti
There’s no straight winner on our list. All of the monitors here are worth getting and they’re some of the best 1440p 144Hz you can find on the market, but each of them has its own fan base.

The Asus ROG Strix XG279Q is a tremendous all-around 1440p 144Hz display. It has a high color accuracy, supports HDR, and the refresh rate is overclockable to 170Hz.

If you’re looking for an ultrawide monitor, then you should take a look at the Viotek GNV34DBE. It won’t disappoint you with its curved display and high contrast ratio.
Last but not least, the AOC CQ27G2 would be an excellent choice for those on budget. You’ll get many of the features found in more premium 1440p 144Hz monitors

Top Bottom