• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed ™ Heat |OT| 🎶 Brrr Dum Dum Dum, Dum Da Da Da Da Dum 🎶

Hmm.... I was on the fence about this, but I think I’ll be picking it up. I guess Tokyo Ghoul re: Call to Exist will have to wait for a bit so I can buy NFS Heat. Gonna cop this joint on Monday.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
My only big complaint is actually the sound track.
Maybe I'm getting old but all I can think is "what fuck am I listening too?"
Or probably because 2000's hip hop is better.
Seriously I rather listen to Fabolous, Xzibit, Twista and Chingy then this shit right thurr.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Hmm.... I was on the fence about this, but I think I’ll be picking it up. I guess Tokyo Ghoul re: Call to Exist will have to wait for a bit so I can buy NFS Heat. Gonna cop this joint on Monday.
It will be half price on Black Friday just like the previous games, if you can wait 3 weeks.

Kagey K

Banned
My only big complaint is actually the sound track.
Maybe I'm getting old but all I can think is "what fuck am I listening too?"
Or probably because 2000's hip hop is better.
Seriously I rather listen to Fabolous, Xzibit, Twista and Chingy then this shit right thurr.
Ok Boomer.

Lol the soundtrack does seem to be lacking, and that’s the one thing EA used to be known for. They seem to be failing on all games now. I’d be interested in a piece about why that happened.

What happened to EA soundtrack and why did it get so bad?

Last edited:

Bodom78

I have a soft spot for the NFS series despite their lackluster releases, I mean I completed Payback and did not mind it overall. Think I'll also be getting this.

It a shame they have not gotten the series to a quality similar of the Forza Horizon series after all this time.

lefty1117

Gold Member
So overall the game is pretty solid? It popped up on my Origin Access, was wondering if I should bother installing.

Pantz

Enjoying it so far, especially the progression. I've grown really tired of most modern racing games where they throw prize cars at you after every race to where you never need to spend money on upgrades. I'm not too far in Heat yet but almost right away you are required to upgrade your starter car (and gain some rep) in order to progress the story. Gives a chance to get attached to it.

autoduelist

Definitely enjoying it so far. Still early, but I've raced enough to get used to the controls, etc. Glad i bought it, which is the real test of any game. For reference, I've plat'd every nfs game except The Run [even did MW on vita, too], and enjoyed them all to various degrees.

TGO

Is this Need for Speed game actually good this time?
It's good but flawed.
Cops are a bit OT, ie they don't need to stop you just have you slow down enough to trigger an arrest.
Soundtrack as I mentioned before isn't no Underground 1/2 or Midnight Club 3.
I recommend making your own playlist.
The characters thing... I guess it's for cutscenes but it's a bit pointless.
The plus side, it's probably the best NFS since Hot Pursuit 2010.
The customizations is fantastic.
The city, especially at night is very Reminiscent of Underground 2/Carbon.
It's the closest they've been to Underground.
If they listen to feedback perhaps maybe the next gen NFS will be Underground 3 and be a true successor

Last edited:
You guys were saying you could change the drifting with double tapping the gas, but I see no way whatsoever of changing the control scheme. I've got it on Easy and I can't get used to this shit. It's driving me nuts.

Edit: I've got the hang of it now.

Last edited:
How can they still not get daylight looking correct, It's been done so many times in Battlefield titles in older engine versions.

How can they still not get daylight looking correct, It's been done so many times in Battlefield titles in older engine versions.

I don’t know why you’re complaining. I think it looks fine myself. When the sun was going down, it looked downright beautiful. I’m really enjoying this game, though. I picked the Nissan 180SX and I’m still not very far yet, but it’s been fun.

Vtecomega

Banned
I'm willing to eat crow. But this a better game than Forza horizon 4. The sounds and sense of speed alone put it ahead of horizon. The visuals at times are insane.

Best need for speed in a long ass time. I sincerely apologize for the harsh words, I overstep the mark and should of formed an opinion after I had played the game.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Ok Boomer.

Lol the soundtrack does seem to be lacking, and that’s the one thing EA used to be known for. They seem to be failing on all games now. I’d be interested in a piece about why that happened.

What happened to EA soundtrack and why did it get so bad?

Because music is shit in this day and age.

I'm willing to eat crow. But this a better game than Forza horizon 4. The sounds and sense of speed alone but it ahead of horizon. The visuals at times are insane.

Best need for speed in a long ass time. I sincerely apologize for the harsh words, I overstep the mark and should of formed an opinion after I had played the game.

Man....not what I want to read when I wrote this years NFS off...again. I loved Rivals though, maybe I'm just in the minority. Rivals, The Run (good racing, who gives a fuck about the story?), HP 2010, all good games imo. Really never understood the hate for Rivals, and this is coming from an old school fan of NFS, I grew up playing High stakes, and Hot Pursuit 1.

Maybe Heat will go on sale, I just find it hard to believe that it's any good.

Rayderism

Is anyone else having crash/lockup issues playing the game? I sure do, and so do many others:

TGO

Man....not what I want to read when I wrote this years NFS off...again. I loved Rivals though, maybe I'm just in the minority. Rivals, The Run (good racing, who gives a fuck about the story?), HP 2010, all good games imo. Really never understood the hate for Rivals, and this is coming from an old school fan of NFS, I grew up playing High stakes, and Hot Pursuit 1.

It's probably the best one since Hot Pursuit 2010.
And there are times when it's very reminiscent of Underground.
Some of the races do have that Underground flair with traffic and jumps, Especially at night
But for the love of God make ya self a playlist on Spotify.

Is anyone else having crash/lockup issues playing the game? I sure do, and so do many others:

I had problems with the game crashing every time I started a race.
I fixed it by removing a community decal I downloaded and install on my car.
Seems OK with my own though.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Like I get it... We are on Miami...

But do we have to just listen to the same Latin tunes over and over? My god the radio is bad.

I buy and play a lot of racing games and this is an average arcade racer.

On PC there should be no excuse for the game to look this bad. So jaggy with humans, the pop in textures are fucking atrocious and everywhere.

Even the white stripe down my car isn't rendering al 100%.

It's fun but needs some patching and updates.

autoduelist

Ok, so I'm loving the game.

Mainpoints for general NFS fans: as they often do, they take pieces from other NFS and evolve them.

The biggest point here is night vs. day racing. Day racing earns you money, cops generally are not an issue. Night racing earns you rep, cops are an issue.

Cops are far more aggressive than they were in the self titled one, which is nice. You can get a couple anti-cop devices, but you won't be dropping spikes or anything like that. Cops are very, very sticky. The game uses the rep mechanic where the longer you last the more rep you get [from... rivals, i think?] but here you don't lose everything, just some cash and your rep/heat multiplier. So the penalty is severe for getting busted, but not total. You can also only repair 3 times per night [but repeat night immediately or change to day easy]. This creates a nice balance where you want to earn money to upgrade, then need rep to unlock more, but you can't focus just on one... you need both, and you risk your cash at night, so you upgrade, earn rep to get more cars and parts, race day to earn money and upgrade, etc.

Upgrades are cash based. Feels solid. You can take parts you buy off one car and put them on another, or buy duplicates. All in all the progression is solid. Lots of different parts allow you to really customize for track, offroad, drift, etc and you can feel it in the handling. You also have a lot of control over car appearance.

Difficulty seems great, im racing on hard.

It's open world. There are some short cuts, including during races. Collectibles seem reasonable and show up on your map if you even get near them.

Only real complaints: soundtrack is meh. I also bought a mask to put on my character because he looked like a doofus.

Plot is divided into different characters [race, drift, etc] with different plots, much like most recent nfs games.

Highly recommended if you usually like nfs games and aren't married to one specific type. I will eventually plat this but as it is now im perfectly happy taking it slow and enjoying every race.

Vtecomega

Banned

I also wrote this game off for being another lazy rehash like payback but it really is far superior. It feels far more polished in terms of game play visuals and attention to detail, but more importantly it captures the same magic of the old nfs games.

I don't think I have played a game where the sense of speed feels this visceral and frantic but it doesn't feel over the top like a burnout game, everything feels believable and tangible in a weird way. I think this is the only racing game on the planet where the cars actually feel fast. The devs have really captured the visceral feeling of accelerating in a 600 hp car. It almost feels like you can feel the turbo and torque shove from these high powered cars.

The sounds are hands down the best in the business right not. Nothing touches it. Turbo spool, backfire and the deep throaty exhaust notes are so close to the real thing its incredible. Take the Mclaren or Porsche out and your mind will be blown.

The handling model is far more on the arcade spectrum than Forza but it somehow doesn't feel exaggerated or too over the top and every car feels unique with difference characteristics and behavior. Evo x feels on rails and slightly under-steers unless you give it some more gas, the bmw m2 is tail happy but controllable, Mclaren loves the high speed corners but can actually lose control if you are careless with the throttle.

The racing itself I find it far superior to horizon simply due to the visceral sense of speed, the track design and the risk reward system at night is a fun dynamic. And of course the sounds of each vehicle really push it over the edge for me.

I booted up Horizon 4 last night and was bored to tears within 5 minutes from the dreadful sounds and just a complete lack of sense of speed. A 600hp car should feel scary and horizon fails to capture that feeling. It felt more like fortnight with cars in comparison to nfs street racing atmosphere.

I think with some extra patches to iron some things out in terms of polish and content I think we have a new benchmark for arcade racer.

autoduelist

I don't think I have played a game where the sense of speed feels this visceral and frantic but it doesn't feel over the top like a burnout game, everything feels believable and tangible in a weird way. I think this is the only racing game on the planet where the cars actually feel fast. The devs have really captured the visceral feeling of accelerating in a 600 hp car. It almost feels like you can feel the turbo and torque shove from these high powered cars.

Oh, yeah, i meant to mention this too. Some nfs games get night racing in the rain against traffic right.... some don't. This one does. There isn't super heavy traffic, just enough to keep you on your toes.

I am addicted to this game. Best NFS since Underground 2 IMO. I wish they would have put the newest model of the Honda Civic Type-R that we have in the US in the game instead of the Japanese 2015 model, but oh well. Don’t know the reasoning behind that choice, but yeah. But I’m having a blast with the game. I’ve earned over $100,000 tonight and still have my starter car. I hope to max it out soon. I can’t wait to get my hands on some of the faster cars in the game, because the sense of speed with my current car is ridiculous as it is when I’m really going at it. The race where you’re against the Speed Boys (I think that is their name) had my blood pumping. I haven’t played a racer in years that has me this hooked. It’s just so damn fun to play.

TGO

I am addicted to this game. Best NFS since Underground 2 IMO. I wish they would have put the newest model of the Honda Civic Type-R that we have in the US in the game instead of the Japanese 2015 model, but oh well. Don’t know the reasoning behind that choice, but yeah. But I’m having a blast with the game. I’ve earned over $100,000 tonight and still have my starter car. I hope to max it out soon. I can’t wait to get my hands on some of the faster cars in the game, because the sense of speed with my current car is ridiculous as it is when I’m really going at it. The race where you’re against the Speed Boys (I think that is their name) had my blood pumping. I haven’t played a racer in years that has me this hooked. It’s just so damn fun to play.
I agree I don't think I've played a racing game so fun and addictive since Underground 2
It's like they took all the best stuff from NFS games and put them in one with Underground vibe turned right up.
Can't believe EA has knocked out two fantastic games with this and Fallen Order.
People sleeping on this are missing out.

Last edited:

ccrruuxx

Neo Member
I'm glad there's people in here enjoying it after the first 15 or so posts were pure hatred... I've been having fun with it so far. haven't even bought a second car yet, still running with the beamer but I've been having a good time.

I think the double tap on gas for drift is a decent mechanic and it's easy enough to avoid doing imo. I had to turn the music off though, that shit was so garbage.

The cops seem a little overpowered though, once you get a few on you it seems pretty much impossible to lose them and then you get hemmed up in a corner and busted losing nearly all your gains for the night. It's a cool mechanic though, just maybe needs a little tweaking. I also don't like how they only go after the player and not anyone else in the race - i feel like they should go after the easiest target and eventually it could get down to an elimination type race where there's only a few drivers left.

Overall I'm happy with it, the last I bought was the all night version which I had plenty of fun with, so this is just like an update to that I feel like. The one truly jarring thing though is the texture pop in, it's honestly really horrible.

I played this game for 10 hours straight last night. Bought the R34 Skyline, but I was disappointed in the customization options. Then I bought an Evo X, but I finally got the Corvette Grand Sport and I LOVE it. It slides around corners perfectly. The Evo was hard to take corners in. I'm currently a Rep Level 20. Not too shabby. I really do love this game, but I've noticed a couple of things that bothered me.

On my starter car, the 180SX, the taillights were glitched during the day. They just kept showing artifacts. It looked bad. Also, with the Evo X, one of the back bumpers caused my license plate to glitch once I started driving and it'd go back to the text when I stopped. Luckily adding a diffuser solved the problem, but yeah.

I also agree about the cops. Once you get that third cop on you that you can hardly shake. I think he is driving a Challenger... Well, he will cause you to wreck out just about every tine. It's annoying you can't get away once they get on you like that.

Overall, I love the game, though. Best $70 I've spent on a game in ages.

sol_bad

If this gets released on Steam, I'd be interested in purchasing it. EA might actually be waking up with this and Fallen Order's release. Is there someone new in charge there?

Vtecomega

Banned
The only thing that really bothers me, like really ruins the immersion for me is the lack of animated gear changes. Not sure why ghost still haven't animated the driver. It's such a simple thing yet can ruin your immersion completely when you're driving a R32 GTR and the driver has both his Hands on the wheel as your going through the gears.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just picked this up in the Black Friday sale and I think it's the best NFS of this generation easily.

Yea the cops are OP, but I like the night races and the Dark Souls style risk/reward they have.

This game has glitches. I just got a Lamborghini Huracan Spyder and EVERY time I load the garage my tires are fat as hell instead of my rims being the max size. They'll stay that way too sometimes unless I go into the rims size and sit there for a second before it glitches back. Anyone else experiencing shit like this? I love this game to death, but the god damn glitches I keep running into like this is pissing me the hell off.

Edit: Funny thing... I fixed the problem by turning off the Wi-Fi to my PS4.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Not diggin it. The hype got to me and I had to try it, like I do every NFS title.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, the foundation and the core of the game is solid. If I hadn't played Forza Horizon 3 and 4 to death, I'd be playing the hell out of this. Heck if FH5 is more of 3 and 4, then consider me burnt out (once again) from open world racing. The driving model is pretty fun, I typically want to drive cars in a drifting style when it comes to open world racers, and I can do that with any car in Heat which is nice. I find the world a bit uninspiring, but I've played worse. The customization is dope. Don't like the chase mechanics at all, but sometimes I had some fun cop chases.

All in all, this is better than NFS 15 and Payback, definitely a step in the right direction. I guess I need to go back to closed track racers, they're still the best.

Mista

Banned
So I ended up getting the game for $38. Hopefully it’s decent at least not expecting something like Forza Horizon

Top Bottom