• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Development Is Being Handed Back To Criterion Games

Mista

Banned
need-for-speed-most-wanted-2012-1024x576.jpg

EA have announced (via GamesIndustry) that the development of the Need for Speed franchise is being handed back to Burnout developers Criterion Games. After having spent the majority of their time on Burnout, Criterion worked on two Need for Speed games – Hot Pursuit in 2010 and Most Wanted in 2012.

EA has confirmed that Ghost Games will be renamed to EA Gothenburg, and will nor provide engineering aid as a company-wide support hub for EA.

EA:
The engineering expertise in our Gothenburg team, some of whom are architects of the Frostbite engine, is vital to a number of our ongoing projects, and they would remain in that location.

Meanwhile, creative talent in Ghost Games will be relocated to various other studios- however, as many as 30 employees are still at risk of losing their jobs.
Outside of the engineers and those that we plan to transfer to other positions, there would be 30 additional staff in Gothenburg, and we would hope to place as many of them as possible into other roles in the company

The publisher has also explained why this change is being made. Quite simply, Ghost Games’ location – Gothenburg, Sweden – hasn’t suited their needs for attracting talent to work on major AAA productions. As such, EA is moving development of Need for Speed back to Criterion.
With a strong history and passion for racing games and vision for what we can create, the Criterion team is going to take Need for Speed into the next-generation. Ghost Games have helped to bring some great Need for Speed experiences to our players,” the publisher stated. Consistently delivering that at AAA levels means we need teams with diverse skills in locations where we can continually support them and bring in new team members to join. Despite our best efforts to establish an independent development group in Gothenburg over several years, it’s become clear that the breadth of talent we need to maintain a full AAA studio is just not available to us there. Criterion can also provide the consistent leadership that we need to continue creating and delivering new Need for Speed experiences for a long time to come.
Criterion is a fantastic studio, and we’re looking forward to adding to their talented team and building a great future for Need for Speed. The engineering teams in Gothenburg are also vital to our ongoing plans across EA.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wasn't the Heat their best one in year's?
And didn't it sell well?
I'm sure I remember the devs celebrating the sales as the best in years including those made by Criterion
And this is what happens?
Makes no sense

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Last Need For Speed I played was the 2010 one that Criterion did, and the rubber-banding in that game made Fox News look fair and balanced.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Most of Criterion ended up as Ghost Games, so essentially nothing is changing except the name (again).

NFS Heat is the best NFS in many years IMO, so I hope they head in the direction they have been and not too much on car combat.

I hope crterion just builds on top of what ghost has done and nothing else what criterion did to NFS was what drove it into the ground in the 1st place.

zcaa0g

Banned
Last Need For Speed I played was the 2010 one that Criterion did, and the rubber-banding in that game made Fox News look fair and balanced.

You mean made CNN look fair and balanced regardless of the tagline. Yes, really. Try watching both for once. Now back to gaming discussions.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I liked NFS Heat, I thought it was a cool game in a lot of ways, and I liked it a lot more than Most Wanted 2012 (which I absolutely hated).

Of course "Criterion" is just a name, are the people who work there able to make a great racing game in 2020?

brian0057

Banned
Yay! More mediocre Need For Speed games!
Please, just kill the franchise.
Carbon was the last time this franchise was in danger of being relevant.

Top Bottom