• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Payback revealed (NFS: Fast & Furious, Nov 10, PC/PS4/XB1) [Trailer]

Em3112

Neo Member
Had a preorder at Cdkeys.com for the PC version.

Reading that everybody on the PC early access is having all kinds of stutter I decided to cancel the preorder and get a refund.

All the footage till now looked pretty mediocre and I don't want to be messing with a bad port. Stutter in a racegame unacceptable.

I am going to follow the reviews of course and I might pick it up somewhere down the line with a big discount on xbox X.

Just a heads up / warning to anyone who has this pre-ordered.

There is no online free roam and over the past 10 hours EA has removed all mention of online freeroam from the NFS help site.

Before:
Multiplayer

Hit the streets and race to win. Take on challengers from all >around the world as you compete to be the best.

Compete in Speedlists, which are free events against friends, or challenge other players in Free Roam. There are two types of Speedlists:

After:
Multiplayer

Hit the streets and race to win. Take on challengers from all around the world as you compete to be the best.

Compete in Speedlists, which are free events against friends. There are two types of Speedlists:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/need...d-modes-in-need-for-speed-payback/#onlineplay

Phloxy

I used up 8 of the 10 hours they gave me and had to just uninstall. Constant stutter in the open world, extremely poor driving, the worst forced story and voice-work in a game in years.

To make it worse the grind is real. The loot boxes start to become more and more obvious necessity if you ever want to seriously upgrade more than one car to full spec.

PantsuJo

I used up 8 of the 10 hours they gave me and had to just uninstall. Constant stutter in the open world, extremely poor driving, the worst forced story and voice-work in a game in years.

To make it worse the grind is real. The loot boxes start to become more and more obvious necessity if you ever want to seriously upgrade more than one car to full spec.
I expected this, to be honest.

I don't understand some people saying "good, day one, I'm so excited, etc".

First impressions are important and, honestly, every trailer looked bad to me.

Phloxy

The worst part I forgot to mention is the scripting. In every major story mission the game will constantly take away control and force you to watch all the cool driving stunts and maneuvers in a canned cut-scene then give you control after the deed is done.

autoduelist

I'm sure most of the more tempered criticism here is valid, but I'm also sure I'll still love it. The only NFS I haven't had an absolute blast with since PS3 has been The Run.

nikos

Just a heads up / warning to anyone who has this pre-ordered.

There is no online free roam and over the past 10 hours EA has removed all mention of online freeroam from the NFS help site.

Before:

After:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/need...d-modes-in-need-for-speed-payback/#onlineplay

Disappointing. We can blame that on everybody who complained about previous iterations requiring an internet connection while playing. I loved seeing other people on the road.

I put a couple of hours into the game last night and really enjoyed it. I can post proper impressions tonight.

RavageX

Disappointing. We can blame that on everybody who complained about previous iterations requiring an internet connection while playing. I loved seeing other people on the road.

It can't be that hard to make online optional and not a requirement. Burnout paradise did it.

ascully

It's funny that Andy the builder from Eastenders is the main guy in the game. I am playing it as an Albert Square fast and the furious spinoff.

slash213

It can't be that hard to make online optional and not a requirement. Burnout paradise did it.

Precisely. How anybody can twist this into "anti-always-online people are to blame", I've no idea. Anti-always-online people are also always-right people.

You are able to skip cutscenes and turn the voice overs off so that makes it a step up from the last NFS game lol.

The driving doesn't seem to be as good as past entries though.
This EA trial is just making me want to play some of the last gen NFS games instead.

Is it just me, or do the police pursuits look E X A C T L Y like the Road Rage events from Burnout Paradise? It blows my mind that EA took the sublime Burnout Paradise and cut/pasted/mangled/mutated it into the latest string of Need for Speed games...

Is it just me, or do the police pursuits look E X A C T L Y like the Road Rage events from Burnout Paradise? It blows my mind that EA took the sublime Burnout Paradise and cut/pasted/mangled/mutated it into the latest string of Need for Speed games...

That might have to do with the same people working on the games. Ghost is made up of former Criterion staff.

Top Bottom