• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Payback review thread

People slept on it? Wasn't it a launch game for the new systems? I'm sure plenty of people gave it a shot.

Not sure, I dont know the sales figures but it didnt really seem to get much buzz when it came out (possible due to it being a cross-gen)

Not saying it was their best effort, but I had a blast with that game.

SebastianM

make Criterion remaster Burnout 3 already ffs EA, shove all the lootboxes you want on it, I just need some circuit racing goodness.

nikos

Played the game all of last night and today. I'm having fun with it. Not enjoying it as much as NFS 2015, but it's still fun.

ancelotti

I think it shows how much faith EA really has in the series when they tried to steal Project Cars tech from them and only failed because their lawyers were outsmarted during contract negotiations.

Rivals had a good map, nice cars and effects, but the 30fps cap was a pretty big sin for a racing game (and basically existed to support their DRM solution). Now that they've moved back to uncapped/60fps it's really exposed the floaty/loose feel of driving while on the frostbite engine. I'm guessing it's partly the reason why they've gone back to a retro style handling model for the latest game.

I still have a soft spot for the series, but adding loot boxes and double down on the corny story is not what is needed as this point. There was a thread earlier about franchises that are one bad game away from killing interest in them, and this may be it for Need for Speed (although the brand still seems to draw decent sales).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
They just need to make Underground 3 by doing it in a old school way - no fucking MTs and loot boxes, almost no fucking story (see Underground 2) and garbage social stuff about which nobody cares. Basically upgraded to modern visuals Underground 2 with much less grinding. That's not fucking hard to do, EA!

They just need to make Underground 3 by doing it in a old school way - no fucking MTs and loot boxes, almost no fucking story (see Underground 2) and garbage social stuff about which nobody cares. Basically upgraded to modern visuals Underground 2 with much less grinding. That's not fucking hard to do, EA!

They just needed to make Most wanted 2. What are you even saying?😂

A2una1

Well the biggest issue for me was not supporting Steering Wheels on Consoles. Maybe not many want them to be working on Arcade Racers, but I liked the PS3 NfS Games a lot with Steering Wheels.

And since I never read they support them now with payback, I think I'll pass this game too..

Looks great and not as bad as the reviews indicate. The racing and world are well done. I just skip all the cut scenes

wcockry.png

NMVk9Ah.png

BNomrPh.png

ciPYpzW.png

zma0NTq.png

SZNnhmy.png

ioFnys2.png

lHKBMyP.png

Eet7eaH.png

dr_rus

Yea, it's really underrated imo. It had some really good track designs and looked great.

I also enjoyed Rivals as did the 3 or 4 people I convinced to buy it. 2 of them hated racing games and loved Rivals. It's one of the couple open world racing games that i liked the design of the world. Typically, the open world aspect of racing games are awful to me.

Since Criterion took over it basically went like this for me

Hot Pursuit 2010 - 6/10
The Run - 7/10 (black box) - closes courses which were really solid, not much replayability, stupid story with QTE BS
Most Wanted 2012 - 5/10 - Although I can't deny that I put 25-30 hours into this.
Rivals - 9/10 - I honestly had a blast with it
NFS 2015 - ?? - The only NFS I never bought in the past decade or 2. The beta was enough, I hated the handling model and the city was one of the worst I'd ever driven in an open world racer.

I kinda stopped playing them after The Run as I don't have nor time neither patience to drive around stupid "open worlds" where you can do nothing but useless side activities inside a car. I should probably stop buying them too now.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
For me, Hot Pursuit 2010 was the last best NFS game since original Most Wanted, everything else i just can't stand, these games clearly wasn't made for me.

Most Wanted 2 was one of my fav racing games of last gen. Own it on PC, PS3, 360 and Vita and put a bunch of hours into it. If it's a turd then I don't what for.

the upgrade card system sounds inconceivably fuckin stupid. It sounds like that dumb ass upgrade system that they had in The Crew but even worse and more nonsensical. Hard pass for me.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Reading about the card system upgrading completely turned me off from the game. Seeing the cinematics just cemented that.

amdb00mer

underground 2 was the last good one

That's debatable. I think the last great one, in my opinion, was the NFS: Most Wanted game from X360 launch. Some would say NFS: Hot Pursuit (2010) was the last great one. Everybody has their favorite. God help us, somebody probably thinks NFS: The Run is GOAT.

TheAssist

Wow in a time where there is pretty much no competition from other arcade racers (everything this year moved towards simulation), they still manage to underwhelm.

I was so close to buying this. I just want a decent arcade racer. Maybe The Crew 2.

I hope EA never makes a Burnout again. This series is close to my heart and I dont trust them to deliver a good entry. And yes I love Paradise. It was love on seconds sight (when I bought it a few years later on PC).
But where did some of the leading Criterion staff actually go?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
After reading Gamespot's review there's only one conclusion - they've literaly fucked up and broke the game by adding fucking MTs and lootboxes which are tied to progression and grinding you have to do to progress in the main story. Wow, just WOW! But um... here's the thing, i very well remember the DiRT 2 having the same goddamn ussue except that in this game there was basically no story... well, in the usual sence of the world.

So here's how it worked in DiRT 2 for eveyone who haven't played the game. Even though the game looked stunning and amazing with really cool looking tracks and all that.... there was like 200+ (two-fucking-hundred-p-l-u-sss!) events in the game in total you need to complete to 100% the game and achive the best rank in SP and so, here you are completing the same fucking events over and over and over and over again till the end - yep, i did it. I mean, hell, the game by the 100th even far overstayed its welcome and you basicaly become so good at the game that no one can even match you. So the question is - what's the fucking point in doing 100+ more if no one can beat you now? I mean, if you happen to really like the game i guess you can do 20-30 more, but then even such a man can clearly see that there's no point in doing this at all.

And here we are, 2017, NFS Payback was released and has the same shit which also (and as if that wasn't enough to kill the game) tied to MT's and lootboxes which tied to story progression. Now what the fuck is this if not an absolute worst thing that could've happened to such a game? I mean, Not only do you absolutely have to grind to beat the goddamn game, but it was also has been developed and MTs and loot boxes was implemented in such a way, that you always have an option to just skip this shit and to encourage you to buy your way out of this which i'm sure many people will consider to do if they even bought this goddamn game at the first place.

I just can't support this abomination and i do honestly think that this could have been so much better game without all of this shit in it, but EA as they usually do - EA-ed it up and killed all the good in it. So FUCK EA and everyone who supports it and their anti consumer policies & practices.

Happy to see that there is so much interest in seeing a remastered Burnout 3 in HDR with 4k at 60fps. That game is almost two decades old, there have been hundreds of high budget racers since then but for those that played Burnout 3, no game has come close to touching the pure joy that was Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge .

Bluepoint would be great for remastering it if Criterian is too busy working on yet another open world racer :( to care about the games that put them on the map.

Fbh

Wow in a time where there is pretty much no competition from other arcade racers (everything this year moved towards simulation), they still manage to underwhelm.

Well no competition means there is not as much pressure to make the game good .

They know that people that like these type of games will still buy them and there is no other game this year they will get compared to

Rayderism

I going to have to stop pre-ordering games......I did that with Payback based solely on the introduction vids, which, despite the story cheese, looked like it would be a cool game with some crash'n'bash fun and was really interested in tricking out the classic muscle cars. It wasn't until after I pre-ordered it that I learned about all the greedbox/suckertransaction shenanigans. Had I known about that, I wouldn't have bought it. I'm 100% digital this gen and have never tried to get a refund and don't plan to start, but I am not happy with this forced grinding just because I won't buy into the money-mongering MT's. Guess I'll just give it a very low rating on PSN. (yeah, that'll show 'em)

You know what the saddest thing it? I only game on weekends because I work all week, so I've had the deluxe edition on my PS4's HDD since early in the week. I was looking forward to the weekend to finally play it, then I read about all the grinding all week long, continually souring my excitement. Now I'm just sitting here going meh, guess I'll check it out after I finish my Saturday errands, but the excitement is completely gone. Sigh. Ah Well, I do have episode 5 of Guardians of the Galaxy to play, as well as Sonic Forces and HZD Frozen Wilds, so I guess the weekend won't be a total loss. It's just that arcade racers are my favorite genre, and they ruined it. Guess I'll have to slam a few cars in Flatout 4 to vent.

EA makes this crap while refusing to make Underground 3 :/

You saying that as if it'll be good if they made it in today's gaming industry. Look at 2015s need for speed. It was basically them trying to make another underground without the name and that shit crash landed. Even if they did make a new underground, it'll just be filled to the brim with microtransations anyway.

Segaswirl

Sad to see NFS in this state once again. I can't say I enjoyed the EA Access trial all that much. Found the characters in the game really unlikable and the card system is pretty dumb. Car handling is vastly improved over the reboot though.

wolgoen

This was never on my radar and kinda glad now after seeing those review scores, yikes.

I’m sure I read somewhere that to outrun the cops you had to follow a pre defined route to lose them...in an open world driving game...um wtf?

llien

I don't know if it's me, or bad luck, or both, but the only NFS game that I enjoyed was NFS 5 : Porsche Unleashed. It was the first NFS game that I have played and all others that I have tried (last try was years ago) fell VERY lacking, perhaps because NFS 5 :pU was so good.

Which NFS would you recommend to someone like me?

Minamu

Happy to see that there is so much interest in seeing a remastered Burnout 3 in HDR with 4k at 60fps. That game is almost two decades old, there have been hundreds of high budget racers since then but for those that played Burnout 3, no game has come close to touching the pure joy that was Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge .

Bluepoint would be great for remastering it if Criterian is too busy working on yet another open world racer :( to care about the games that put them on the map.
I want Paradise :(

What happened to that crash simulator thing the ex-Criterion guys made? Is it out? Any good? Can't remember the name.

Heath V

Sad as I really have high hopes for this game. I loved Need for Speed Hot Pursuit I would love if they would make a next-generation version of that game, that would be amazing!

Em3112

Neo Member
Tried the Xbox one X early acces trial this afternoon.

What a piece of shit.

I looked like it did not even held 30FPS on the X.
9 hours of gameplay left but I deleted it after 30 minutes.

xStoyax

Banned
I played 3 hrs of the access trial. The worst racing game i've played in ages. Uninstalled with 7hrs left to play for free

wvnative

I want Paradise :(

What happened to that crash simulator thing the ex-Criterion guys made? Is it out? Any good? Can't remember the name.

Danger Zone is out on PS4 and steam. It's very basic though. Still fun for the cheap price though,

DonF

Pc world review: Need for Speed: Payback: Ruined by loot boxes.

But Payback is the worst loot box implementation I’ve seen in a full-price game. So many decisions here seem made just to squeeze consumers for more money, and in the most obnoxious, tonally-inconsistent way possible.

1zdjtq.jpg

Top Bottom