• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals confirmed to be locked at 30 FPS on PC (fix found)

MaLDo

For people who are playing already on PC, does it at least hold 30 and seem optimized?

After playing Most Wanted with car headlights shadows at 60 fps, Rivals is a joke. A bad joke. And no MSAA in graphics options. Most Wanted had SSAA.

elektrixx

Banned
I match console framerates to give my PC perceived longevity. If things run at 60 on consoles it usually means the engine is well optimised and easy done on PC.

Chasing 60FPS+ on everything is impossible (or at least, impossibly expensive). Have fun maxing out beasts like Crysis 3 or unoptimised junk.

[edit] I'll lock the game at 24FPS so it's like watching the new movie in advance (I'm sure someone's said that already).

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Seems crazy to me.

Bit OT but is there a place on GAF where I can ask if a PC is worth buying for gaming?Don't really want to start a new thread for it.

SparkTR

Seems crazy to me.

Bit OT but is there a place on GAF where I can ask if a PC is worth buying for gaming?Don't really want to start a new thread for it.

I can answer that question here, yes without a doubt. It's probably the first generation where buying a high-end PC is justifiable compared to subsidized consoles.

breakfuss

Thing is, the game will eventually be unlocked to run at 60.

The console version never will

Also max settings on top end pcs

Also 1440p

Nice troll though.

By the time that happens, I'll have moved on to the next NFS. Plus, most people won't have rigs power enough to take advantage so it's a moot point. It's about optimization not raw computational power, and this game is plenty sufficient on consoles with the added benefit of a couch and controller, thank you.

Please explain why the console versions will be better.

Never claimed they were.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

MaLDo

If command line parameters work I will try more of them. I saw a kind of fixedtick into memory.

Someone can try with

GameTime.UseWaitableTimers
GameTime.ForceDeltaTime
GameTime.ForceDeltaTickCount
GameTime.ClampTicks
GameTime.VariableSimTickTimeEnable
GameTime.ForceUseSleepTimer
GameTime.ForceSinglePlayerFixedTick
GameTime.TimeScale
Network.TimeSyncEnabled
Render.BuildJobSyncEnable
Vars.physics-client-sim-free-ticks
Ant.AllowVariableTickLength

. Plus, most people won't have rigs power enough to take advantage so it's a moot point. It's about optimization not raw computational power, and this game is plenty sufficient on consoles with the added benefit of a couch and controller, thank you.

just because YOU dont have the power, doesnt mean others dont.

and just because YOU dont game on pc on couch with controller, doesnt mean others dont.

i do both these things, as many on here im sure do also. 30fps or not, unless the port is completely broken ala saints row 2, the pc version will always be the superior version.

Someone can try with

GameTime.ForceDeltaTime
GameTime.ClampTicks
GameTime.TimeScale
Network.TimeSyncEnabled

Played with these for a while. GameTime.TimeScale seems to scale weather effects. So for example if I set TimeScale to 10, all trees will shake like mad and the dust on the road moves extremely fast.

Ant.AllowVariableTickLength doesn't seem to do anything, tried to set to 0 and 1. Can't figure out what other commands do.

Qassim

Plus, most people won't have rigs power enough to take advantage so it's a moot point.

"Most people don't have Bugatti Veyrons, so therefore how fast you can go in yours isn't important!"

and this game is plenty sufficient on consoles with the added benefit of a couch and controller

That isn't added over the PC version. That's just as possible on the PC, where you decide to plug in your PC and what you use to control it is up to you. I wouldn't say "My PC has the added benefit of a couch" if I chose to plug my consoles into a computer monitor at a desk but plugged my PC into my TV.

Played with these for a while. GameTime.TimeScale seems to scale weather effects. So for example if I set TimeScale to 10, all trees will shake like mad and the dust on the road moves extremely fast.

Ant.AllowVariableTickLength doesn't seem to do anything, tried to set to 0 and 1. Can't figure out what other commands do.

DeltaTime is what games use to figure out how long it's been since the last frame update, so that when they apply physics, counters and such, they do so at a framerate-independent speed.

I'm not sure if the DeltaTickCount would be forcing how often DeltaTime is called, or just telling the game it's been a fixed amount of time since the last frame update, but still calling it the same amount of times, though. I'd guess the latter...

Eusis

I guess next gen consoles are still holding back PC gaming.
I wouldn't surprised if the game varied between 30 and 60 on PS4 and XB1 if they just allowed it too (or XB1 holds back PS4 along with last gen, whichever.)

And I always felt it was more that consoles raised the bar for PC, they were going to be held back but not by as much as before.

Someone can try with

GameTime.ForceDeltaTime
GameTime.ClampTicks
GameTime.TimeScale
Network.TimeSyncEnabled

Maybe there are more commands than this list? Where did you took it?

XTERC

I bought the game on PS4 but I sometimes double dip with PC. The main reason to get the PC version over console would be to up the frame rate... so why would they do this, they lose a potential sale for being stubborn? Sure give me a 30FPS lock button, but don't remove the ability to play the game the way I'd like it to be played on my GTX680.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Thing is, the game will eventually be unlocked to run at 60.

The console version never will

Also max settings on top end pcs

Also 1440p

Nice troll though.

Just like they unlocked the framerate in FFXI. Oh, wait... it took 11 years and made the animations look ridiculous.

oxidax

Exactly what you PC master race deserve. Hope this becomes the norm. Resolution needs to be locked too. Dark Souls was a great first step in the right direction.

/s

Top Bottom