• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals Does Not Support Driving Wheels

Man, it seems that EA wants to simply ruin the NFS franchise. We first got the 30fps lock and according to EA’s official Q&A page, the game won’t support any driving wheels. Yeap, a driving game that does not support wheels. Yes, we’re talking about an arcade title but last time I checked, all arcade driving games (from Outrun to Sega Rally and Ridge Racer) supported driving wheels.

As Electronic Arts wrote on the game’s Q&A page:

“Need for Speed Rivals will not support any driving-wheels or other peripherals.”

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/hilar...speed-rivals-does-not-support-driving-wheels/

https://help.ea.com/uk/article/need-for-speed-rivals-general-info#periph

EA trying their hardest to dodge worst company 3rd year in a row..

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah but the last couple of NFS games are not really driving games... They are more akin to rockets sticking to the ground. I really don't know why people would want to use a wheel with those physics.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It only has the two camera system, too. Either outside the car view, or face strapped to the road view.

No bonnet cam.

Dunno why Criterion keep doing this.

i will play need for speed most wanted (2006) again and pretend the last 7 years of arcade racers never happened (they didn't, imo. can't even fucking buy outrun anymore)

Nethaniah

It's Burnout and Burnout isn't a racing series so it's not really that weird that it doesn't support it, HP / MW and now Rivals all have the same shitty ass driving that's fucking unplayable,

I can just go install something like the first or second underground or even HP2 (these all have wheel support too) and have a better experience with those games because those are actual NFS racing games not this destruction derby bullshit that Criterion seems to have implemented in the series.

qirex

It's more like Mario Kart than an actual racing game anyway, it feels more natural on a controller.

dzelly

Ouch, that's shitty. My three-year-old uses the joystick and triggers, but he's always tilting the controller like a wheel. I was hoping to get him one, and NFS happens to be the only PS4 racing game right now.

It only has the two camera system, too. Either outside the car view, or face strapped to the road view.

No bonnet cam.

That's a shame.

Played some Forza Horizon today and was thinking this could be a next gen replacement.

In car view is hugely important to me.

The game is too arcadey to use wheels, it wouldn't make sense. I mean drifting around corners is dependent on how many times you hit the break button around a corner.

p3tran

Banned

No bonnet cam.

also auto gear only, on par with the same physics system (or lack of it)
That's a shame.

Played some Forza Horizon today and was thinking this could be a next gen replacement.

In car view is hugely important to me.
what makes horizon great is the handling model.
since that comes from forza motorsport, I dont think there is even one arcade racer that comes close. PGR included.
nfs, well, its a completely different league of racing games. not much connection with ..driving. so lack of bonnet view, not so much of a problem for your ..driving pleasure :)

if you expected this to support wheels, it's best you choose not to buy it. even if it *had* wheel support. me, I love it. it's a car chase game with pretty cars and weapons. a very good one. it is not a realistic anything.

Yeah but the last couple of NFS games are not really driving games... They are more akin to rockets sticking to the ground. I really don't know why people would want to use a wheel with those physics.

Am I the only one that thinks that this sounds dope?

Im kinda at a loss why you want manual stick shifting and steering wheel support in an arcade racer. If the physics models were realistic, it would just feel off anyway.

lack of 60FPS however, that shit is irritating.

Nethaniah

Am I the only one that thinks that this sounds dope?

Im kinda at a loss why you want manual stick shifting and steering wheel support in an arcade racer. If the physics models were realistic, it would just feel off anyway.

lack of 60FPS however, that shit is irritating.

Are the criterion games your first time playing nfs? If so that would explain that kind of thinking.

Would go as far as saying that any blackbox nfs plays a thousand times better with a wheel, made the run the last good nfs game.

Are the criterion games your first time playing nfs? If so that would explain that kind of thinking.

Would go as far as saying that any blackbox nfs plays a thousand times better with a wheel, made the run the last good nfs game.

Actually no, I used to play Most wanted (2005) and Underground. I never once thought about using Manual gear changes or using a steering wheel. Thats More for sim type games, not arcade racers.

I think I used to play the orginal hot pursuit too come to think of it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Most Wanted (2012) didn't support it either but a mod (praise Toca!) implemented it. It was fantastic.

I really don't know why people would want to use a wheel with those physics.

It's Burnout and Burnout isn't a racing series so it's not really that weird that it doesn't support it, HP / MW and now Rivals all have the same shitty ass driving that's fucking unplayable,

You're both crazy. Have you ever actually used a wheel with the games? It's awesome.

ESPECIALLY Burnout! Playing Burnout Paradise with a wheel is one of my all time greatest gaming experiences. Bumping music, driving full speed in the rain on train tracks while dozens of cars are trying to execute me, the wheel shaking vigorously in your hands up until you hit the jump and the wheel just loosens up as your tires come off the ground.

It's incredible. Such a unique experience.

Nethaniah

to be fair Need for Speed isn't a driving game

Criterion made sure of that.

Actually no, I used to play Most wanted (2005) and Underground. I never once thought about using Manual gear changes or using a steering wheel. Thats More for sim type games, not arcade racers.

I think I used to play the orginal hot pursuit too come to think of it.

All i can say is, you missed out, bigtime.

ESPECIALLY Burnout! Playing Burnout Paradise with a wheel is one of my all time greatest gaming experiences. Bumping music, driving full speed in the rain on train tracks while dozens of cars are trying to execute me, the wheel shaking vigorously in your hands up until you hit the jump and the wheel just loosens up as your tires come off the ground.

Meh, i could never get my wheel settings just right for Paradise, i stand by my original point that that's a pad game though i do find it funny that it has wheel support while HP and MW didn't.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Meh, i could never get my wheel settings just right for Paradise, i stand by my original point that that's a pad game though i do find it funny that it has wheel support while HP and MW didn't.

What wheel have you got? Mine was was just plug and play

BigDug13

The game is a fun console arcade racer but that's about it. Attempting to try to make it anything more substantial in the "racing" department is obviously something EA doesn't want.

Disappointing, but it is what it is. But no support for greater than 30fps on PC is pretty stupid.

Top Bottom