• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Rivals - New Screens

strafer

0013.jpg

0012.jpg

0011.jpg

0010.jpg

0009.jpg

0008.jpg

Courtesy of NFS planet

http://www.nfsplanet.com/en/news/6818/

Odrion

Banned
I dunno, something about the graphics throw me off a bit.

I think it's the muted colors, is that just a requisite for all Frostbite games?

sunnz

Hmm....

It looks very good...

But it also looks... quite dull in a way, like the colours.

Probably just me.

VanWinkle

These kind of shots of racing games really tell me NOTHING. I simply can't tell how good the game looks, because every screenshot of every racing game in the past 8 years has looked exactly as good as every other one, lol.

Need for Speed Rivals: Next-Gen, 2013:

Neef for Speed Hot Pursuit: Current-Gen, 2010:

That being said, this game does look great from that E3 demo.

Nethaniah

Last 3 NFS games sucked bigtime, Criterion hasn't made a decent game since 2008, they are apparently co-developing this with Ghost? Don't see how anyone can get excited about this.

Give me back my wheel support, stop with the damn rubberbanding and stop turning this into Burnout without the badge with the dumbass drifting mechanics.

Screenshots could be PC but still, they don't give a good view at how the game actually looks.

those aren't bullshots. The version they had at E3 looked like that. The past few NFS games have been graphical benchmarks too and lmao at people saying "PC screenshots" you know damn well the PS4 and Xbox 1 can output that same graphics quality.

FlyFaster

looks good so far, but I have to wonder if these are bullshots. I'll reserve judgement until I see in game footage being played.

Game looks pretty but I can't help but feel these titles have lost their "soul" Underground and the first Most Wanted played great but they have been steadily going downhill since.

I thought the Mclaren F1 was exclusive to forza?

anyway, I want this game but if EA thinks im paying anything near £55 for it they have a sad mistake. Greedy ************

Looks decent but im not buying it because EA once more decided to keep the Porsche license to themselfs even when MS gave them Ferrari.

Sethos

Banned
Bullshots are different from pc screenshots.

Are we looking at different screenshots here? You just hear the word bullshot and think "HOLY SHIT IT'S ALL PHOTOSHOPPED!" - Nothing in those screenshots are out of the ordinary. Even current NFS games can manage those visuals bar the wet reflection and possibly some of the environment detail.

Game looks pretty but I can't help but feel these titles have lost their "soul" Underground and the first Most Wanted played great but they have been steadily going downhill since.

The original first two NFS titles will always remain my favourite in that regard - just great fun titles!

LCGeek

formerly sane
Give me back my wheel support, stop with the damn rubberbanding and stop turning this into Burnout without the badge with the dumbass drifting mechanics.

So much truth in this. Though you should of said bad burnout in terms of mechanics. Also since they can't do camera events right not interested in another title where shit like that screws my timing.

Last 3 NFS games sucked bigtime, Criterion hasn't made a decent game since 2008, they are apparently co-developing this with Ghost? Don't see how anyone can get excited about this.

Screenshots could be PC but still, they don't give a good view at how the game actually looks.

Blame EA for not letting them maken a fucking burnout.

Burnout revenge >>>>>>> Every EA racer this generation.

CamHostage

Criterion is the franchise management team now for Need For Speed, so they will be involved with all NFS going forward. That said, they're not developing the game, and if they're smart (I haven't heard impressions of Rivals but it sounded less arcadey than MW,) they'll let these other developers do what they do best and allow the variety that NFS is known for come through the various editions. People gave NFS a lot of guff in its prime because there was a new one every year ("Goddamn, enough with the Need for Speed, who buys all those?!?), and partly that was a fair slam because some games were rushed, but mostly I felt it was unfair because there were some great NFSs in that timeframe and they constantly kept changing the formula (if you liked sims better than arcade racers, just wait a year...) Criterion has had to rebuild the franchise since taking it over and the dissolution of EA Black Box, and they have so far done it the way they already know how (with more Burnout-type games and a remake of Hot Pursuit,) but ideally they'll be broadening out the brand now that there's a second team in place.

Also, EA Ghost was founded by ex-DICE guys, some of whom (although not the main guy) must have been around during the RalliSport days. People think DICE=Battlefield, but it used to be an eclectic team. Plus, DICE sending little seedlings of itself out in the world to make use of its Frostbite engine is hopefully a good thing, if that main crew is going to be wrapped around do Battlefield and Battlefront then let the guys who specialize in other types of games make their mark elsewhere when they're ready.

Nethaniah

So much truth in this. Though you should of said bad burnout in terms of mechanics. Also since they can't do camera events right not interested in another title where shit like that screws my timing.

Everyone's hailing Criterion as the saviors of the series but damnit, The Run despite it's bullshit campaign wasn't THAT bad, it was definitely better than Criterion's effort (hello time trials), why they fucked over Blackbox instead of giving them another chance with more time then usual to create a great title is beyond me.

Glad to hear they're not actually helping on the development side, maybe this series has a chance now that it's in the hands of another developer and let's hope Criterion stays away cause they only seem to be interested in Burnout rehashes.

hardvibes

NFS was fun until 2000-2002....now it's just pathetic.
Always the same game, always the same stupid arcade gameplay, always the same graphics.

I don't understand why people keep buying it at full price.

Are we looking at different screenshots here? You just hear the word bullshot and think "HOLY SHIT IT'S ALL PHOTOSHOPPED!" - Nothing in those screenshots are out of the ordinary. Even current NFS games can manage those visuals bar the wet reflection and possibly some of the environment detail.
It's not that they are particulary impressive. But too clean and composed. Obvious bullshots but it might look like this in motion, yes. Not in a gameplay screen. Ofcourse we just may have different eyes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It's about what I'd expect out of a cross-gen title:
-Better reflections
-A fair amount of tessellation
-Improved texturing on the cars
-Some moderate enhancements to the objects in the environment and draw distance

Notably these are all things you can turn off and get pretty much the same game working on current-gen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's not that they are particulary impressive. But too clean and composed. Obvious bullshots but it might look like this in motion, yes. Not in a gameplay screen. Ofcourse we just may have different eyes.

The image quality is obviously heavily downsampled, but it's not that hard to get close.

Here's a screenshot derFeef took from NFS: Hot Pursuit (2010):

NFS112010-11-2221-51-44-98-1.png~original

Top Bottom