• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: The Run Announced [Trailer, Nov 15th, Black Box, Frostbite 2.0]

Not much is known about the title at the mo, just the release date and this leaked trailer...

zg3Mf.jpg

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_23HBXNZi40&hd=1

AEd1e.jpg

Saty said:
Official confirmation: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-29-ea-announces-need-for-speed-the-run

Need for Speed: The Run launches on 3DS, PC, PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360 in Europe on 17th November, and in North America on 15th November.

The focus reverts to the world of underground racing, set against the backdrop of a high-speed race across the US from San Francisco to New York.
Development duties are being taken care of by Black Box, which helmed the franchise from 2002 to 2008, creating seven consecutive yearly updates including NFS Underground and NFS Most Wanted. "EA Black Box will spend more than two years of development time on The Run to make sure this is the most action packed and finest cinematic racing experience in NFS history," EA said.

Need for Speed: The Run takes advantage of DICE's new Frostbite 2.0 engine, used in forthcoming first-person shooter Battlefield 3.

Criterion's social competition service Autolog, a series staple since 2010's superb Hot Pursuit, returns.
EA promises "immersive storytelling" and "cutting edge performances" depicting "a world with no speed limits, rules or allies".
Hero of Legend said:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26189

Firebrand's doing the Wii and 3DS versions!

Fucking YES! I was so pissed that they didn't do HP Wii, better late than never I guess. That explains the Wi-Fi; Trackmania Wii supports it.

Perhaps Firebrand was too busy with Trackmania and Hot Wheels Track Attack?

MMaRsu

Banned
Looks like a Transporter kind of game, where you have to get from one point to another. Basically this will probably mean the following ( these are just my assumptions ) :

-A to B races
-Avoiding police and other assailants who may be after the package you're carrying
-Story driven game, with cutscenes in between chapters/races

Maybe even campaign coop?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So this is Black Box's game... EA said a while ago they were working on the next 'action' NFS.

Looks like another Undercover-esque game.

Dedication Through Light said:
Autolog please? Looks fantastic. I cant wait for the official unveiling. Hot Pursuit reignited my interest in the series and now I want more non sim'ish racing from them.
I think that's a given, with Criterion spending the bulk of their time on it, that Autolog will be their lasting legacy to NFS even if they no longer work on it.

Salsa

Not really a fan of different devs working on different titles of the same franchise at the same time. Doesnt make any sense other than milking the thing dry, and the only thing it does is generate confusion.

MMaRsu

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Not really a fan of different devs working on different titles of the same franchise at the same time. Doesnt make any sense other than milking the thing dry, and the only thing it does is generate confusion.

Agreed, and this one probably won't be as good as Hot Pursuit, no offense to Black Box.

It looks like a mash-up of all NFS' that came before, and a little Split/Second.

The police stuff from Hot Pursuit, then the part night, part day races from Most Wanted, the storyline from Carbon and the orange-ness from Undercover.

I am intrigued, but I do not have much hope.

SalsaShark said:

It makes sense from the perspective that you allow different take on the same franchise. You also allow those developers to take more time to develop it. Black Box at one time was making NFS games every single year.

It appears to be about a cross-country run across America... I'd guess illegal street racing and/or money and/or crime is involved. Running away from the police across the country could be neat.

SalsaShark said:
Well it seems like Criterion was a one-off thing where they needed to give Black Box more time.

It seems EA is trying hard to separate Shift away from the Arcad-y racing that is from Black Box, so that's ok, I guess.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah, it seems like they wanted to spin-off Shift into its own thing, but I don't really think it worked. Without the normal NFS timing and branding, it kinda sunk on the sales charts.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Well it seems like Criterion was a one-off thing where they needed to give Black Box more time.

I'd be shocked if they never made another NFS game. Hot Pursuit sold very well (best selling Criterion game ever), it's also the highest rated NFS game since Hot Pursuit 2. And EA does care about Metacritic ratings.

SolidSnakex said:
I'd be shocked if they never made another NFS game. Hot Pursuit sold very well (best selling Criterion game ever), it's also the highest rated NFS game since Hot Pursuit 2. And EA does care about Metacritic ratings.
I rather them go back to Burnout instead.

AlphaTwo00 said:
I rather them go back to Burnout instead.

I doubt many would disagree with you there. But we currently know that there's a downloadable BO game coming to the PS3 and 360. I hope that isn't a sign that they plan on turning it into a downloadable series.

RobertM

SolidSnakex said:
Still no Ferrari. I'd love to hear about what happened between them.
Ridiculous amount of money that Ferrari was requesting and things on top of it if the cars received damage.

Three games in the space of a year?

I thought they would have learned something from running NFS into the ground about 3 years ago. But no, Hot Pursuit is a commercial success and then they decide to start the milking process all over again.

Bungieware said:

I thought they would have learned something from running NFS into the ground about 3 years ago. But no, Hot Pursuit is a commercial success and then they decide to start the milking process all over again.

Every NFS is a big success. Undercover was terrible and it sold over 5m units.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The Cover artwork looks fucking ridonkulous :/

stuminus3

The colour of the logo for some reason reminded me of the Back to the Future logo then I immediately though of how fucking great it would be if they'd make a racing game where you traveled through time as you raced (like you'd be in the present and the track would be all busted, and then hit 88mph and zap to the past and it'd be like all shiny and brand new, then zap to a futuristic version of the same track).

But that's got nothing to do with anything. The logos aren't even similar.

Bungieware said:

Two.

The trailers date puts it exactly one year after Hot Pursuit.

SolidSnakex said:
I doubt many would disagree with you there. But we currently know that there's a downloadable BO game coming to the PS3 and 360. I hope that isn't a sign that they plan on turning it into a downloadable series.

It's the only way the series could keep going. It's not like it is a multi million mainstream hit.

Top Bottom