• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help, setup for kids - Switch vs. XSS

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Here's the deal: winter is coming, weather is shit, got 2 kids 3 and 5 year old, as all parents know the tiny monsters are incapable of playing alone, mommy and daddy need to be there. At some point you need to be a man and say NO to 5th puzzle they want to do, or 10th coloring book, otherwise you will go crazy.

Black Friday is here, and I am seriously considering two deals:

1. Nintendo Switch V2 (not OLED) + MK8 + NO 3 months (lol) for 270€
2. XSS for 230€

Nintendo Switch:
+ Kiddie games
+ MK8 has steering assist which would be perfect - any other games like that?
+ Small joy-cons will make it MUCH easier for the kids
+ Got OLED TV, so OLED model is not necessary (don't plan to be gaming a lot in handheld mode)
- need extra 30€ for screen protector and SD card so we are at 300€
- if we do 4 players need another set of joy-cons, so extra 60€

XSS:
+ Final price, nothing else needed
+ Got GPU till July 2023
+ Probably way more games for me, but I have personally very little time to play, so not a huge +
- GPU has SOME kids games, but nothing special
- Probably second pad needed, so 50€
- Pad is huge, I think my kids will have difficulty playing it (3-year old for sure)

Would be interested to listen to opinions, especially from parents with young kids.

cireza

Banned
My kids play on Xbox, you have many games that are perfectly fine for them on Xbox. Like Sonic Team Racing, TMNT Shredder Revenge, Super Lucky' Tale, Klonoa, Sonic games etc... Also check in BC games, there are plenty of Rare games for example.

I also bought a PowerA controller, it wasn't very expensive and it is actually fine and long lasting for kids.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
My kids play on Xbox, you have many games that are perfectly fine for them on Xbox. Like Sonic Team Racing, TMNT Shredder Revenge, Super Lucky' Tale, Klonoa, Sonic games etc... Also check in BC games, there are plenty of Rare games for example.
I am worried about the size of the controller for XSS.
If you want good value - Xbox

If you want to get robbed on game prices - Switch.
I can afford it, what gives me pause - I don't think small kids have the attention span to sit and play something for hours on end, so we would have to switch games rather frequently.

Sometimes we give them iPads, but obviously from this point of view it's much better to play games with them.

cireza

Banned
This is a valid point. My daughter now has hands big enough to hold it correctly, she is 6 years old.

Otherwise she has been playing MegaDrive and Saturn. Much smaller controllers, easier to access buttons.

My kids are allowed a couple hours play time during both days of the week-end. The goal is not for them to play all the time.

Last edited:

I can afford it, what gives me pause - I don't think small kids have the attention span to sit and play something for hours on end, so we would have to switch games rather frequently.

Sometimes we give them iPads, but obviously from this point of view it's much better to play games with them.

Then go with Switch.

I would never compromise on ergonomics.

5-6 game collection would last them a long time I suppose.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
My kids are allowed a couple hours play time during both days of the week-end. The goal is not for them to play all the time.
Yes, this is exactly our situation - they are rarely home on the week days (school + childcare), but on the weekend there is obviously much more time they spend at home. We normally spend 3-4 hours minimum each day outside, but with bad weather it will be harder.

Can’t go wrong with either I think, but like you say Nintendo has a lot of kiddie games so i think it’s the better choice since you can afford it.

Markio128

Get a switch, if the financial side isn’t the issue. The controllers are nice and small and there are loads of fun, multiplayer kids games. MK8 is the don and a game anybody can enjoy.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Here's the deal: winter is coming, weather is shit, got 2 kids 3 and 5 year old, as all parents know the tiny monsters are incapable of playing alone, mommy and daddy need to be there. At some point you need to be a man and say NO to 5th puzzle they want to do, or 10th coloring book, otherwise you will go crazy.

Black Friday is here, and I am seriously considering two deals:

1. Nintendo Switch V2 (not OLED) + MK8 + NO 3 months (lol) for 270€
2. XSS for 230€

Nintendo Switch:
+ Kiddie games
+ MK8 has steering assist which would be perfect - any other games like that?
+ Small joy-cons will make it MUCH easier for the kids
+ Got OLED TV, so OLED model is not necessary (don't plan to be gaming a lot in handheld mode)
- need extra 30€ for screen protector and SD card so we are at 300€
- if we do 4 players need another set of joy-cons, so extra 60€

XSS:
+ Final price, nothing else needed
+ Got GPU till July 2023
+ Probably way more games for me, but I have personally very little time to play, so not a huge +
- GPU has SOME kids games, but nothing special
- Probably second pad needed, so 50€
- Pad is huge, I think my kids will have difficulty playing it (3-year old for sure)

Would be interested to listen to opinions, especially from parents with young kids.
Switch OLED for when they play in handheld mode, but Switch overall.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Captain Toad with dlc.
Daddy game.

Im Ready Video Game GIF by Call of Duty

Rykan

I honestly can't even begin to imagine how the Series S would be a better fit than the Switch for a 3 and 5 years old. The Switch is loaded with games that are perfect for kids, and especially kids that are new to gaming. Another benefit is that the Joycons can be used as two controllers.

Yeah there is no way that a Series S comes even close to the Switch for this age group. Get a Switch.

winjer

Gold Member
I think the Switch has better games for kids. But it's also much more expensive to buy games for it.
If cost is a concern, the Xbox + Gamepass, will be a killer combo.

Soltype

Go with the series x, if you know what you're doing you can get NES, SNES,N64, genesis,Saturn,dreamcast, psx, PS2, , GameCube all on the same system.
Shit disconnects all the time though.
Mine used to do that when I first got it, turns out it was too close to my Wi-Fi, don't know your situation but that was my issue.

Lasha

XSS if purely for kids. Microsoft's parental controls allow a granularity that Nintendo doesn't. Switch parental controls are binary and tied to a console. Microsoft ties the controls to the account wherever the kid logs into the ecosystem. NS for games though. Especially games you may play as a family.

For a kid the Switch is a no brainer. Forget the hardware, think about the games: You want your kid to play games like Mario Party, Mario Odyssey, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and Zelda (and the old games). Kids don't care about graphics or framerate, they'll prefer having a tablet to play anywhere in the house even if it's only 30fps and low res (and you can play / watch content on the big TV while they play on their tablet).

Xbox Series S is great for adults: (hardware sufficient **cough** for current gen games + gamepass).

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Just throwing it out there but Steam Deck.

The entire PC library, past and present (math and word rescue anyone?), benefits of gamepass as an option plus it will allow them to get to grips with learning how to use a computer in a more meaningful way.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I honestly can't even begin to imagine how the Series S would be a better fit than the Switch for a 3 and 5 years old. The Switch is loaded with games that are perfect for kids, and especially kids that are new to gaming. Another benefit is that the Joycons can be used as two controllers.

Yeah there is no way that a Series S comes even close to the Switch for this age group. Get a Switch.
You are right, and the fact Switch has less attractive games for me will make it also easier to do other things instead of going back to gaming (piano / reading).
XSS if purely for kids. Microsoft's parental controls allow a granularity that Nintendo doesn't. Switch parental controls are binary and tied to a console. Microsoft ties the controls to the account wherever the kid logs into the ecosystem. NS for games though. Especially games you may play as a family.
Kids will never play without supervision, in fact Switch will stay docked 99% of the time in front of the TV.
You want your kid to play games like Mario Party, Mario Odyssey, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and Zelda (and the old games). Kids don't care about graphics or framerate, they'll prefer having a tablet to play anywhere in the house even if it's only 30fps and low res (and you can play / watch content on the big TV while they play on their tablet).
My God, the junk they play on the iPad.

Switch it is, thank you all.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My kids grew up on Nintendo. No other platform comes close in terms of family friendly games.

Could you go Xbox? Sure.

But you’re not going to have anywhere close to the purchase options.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You are right, and the fact Switch has less attractive games for me will make it also easier to do other things instead of going back to gaming (piano / reading).

Kids will never play without supervision, in fact Switch will stay docked 99% of the time in front of the TV.

Good choice (y)

Grew up with the N64 being my first proper console. Wouldn’t change it for the world. Nintendo make games to blow your little tiny child mind.

AnxiousWeeGrasshopper-max-1mb.gif

K' Dash

I bought my 15 yo an Series S and share GP with him.

That’s it.

I’m a Nintendo fanboy, but I can’t recommend getting that for a kid, the games are too expensive and they never go on sale for a decent price, but if you have a Switch you can game share and just let them play whatever you have.

dem

My 8 year old has pretty much aged out of the switch already. Starting to realize Fortnite plays like garbage on it vs the Xbox.

My 5 year old doesn’t play either of them much. He liked Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart for a bit though.

iPad is the real hero

Last edited:
Subjective.

I was talking about value proposition.

My 8 yrs old nephew only plays Minecraft and Roblox. I tried gifting him a ton of PS games recently and a Nintendo 3ds a few years ago but no dice.
Portable Minecraft

And Roblox is hot garbage. My kids play that too. It makes me feel like a failure of a parent. The entire point of the game seems to be, "go ask your parents for more money for Robucks to buy more stupid crap".

If you think Roblox is a good value, you don't have a child obsessed with it. They'll spend all their Christmas and birthday money on skins for it without batting an eye. And when they don't have money, the constant begging is relentless.

Lasha

Switch 100% then.

Trunx81

Both got the Peppa Pig games, but on switch they can continue playing when you go for holidays. Or visit relatives during Christmas (boring for kids).

Currently also good sales on the eshop, the Lego games have Co-op (but need an extra controller, no double Joycon support).

And good decision to stay 99% docked. My kid dropped my Switch when she got angry and my neighbors kid destroyed his controllers with water, as well as cracked the screen. Kids are savage and the Switch’s not the brick the GameBoy used to be.

Deerock71

I'm just gonna say Switch. Sounds like you're doing it for the kids, and you'll be shocked how handy that screen actually is when you get it.

For young kids Switch has the better games and controllers. Once they hit 9-12 age range the Xbox with Gamepass is the much better choice

Any device you get them is gonna get wrecked regardless with kids of that age, The switch has moving parts and will prolly not last longer than a year.
Yea those switch controllers wont make it past the first year. Don't worry to much about size as they are going to be awkward either way just because of inexperience. They do make mini xbox controllers for smaller hands.
I say get the Xbox just becuase the Switch games are more expensive. And the switch is kind of end of life, while the S is getting started.

DaGwaphics

XSS will be the much better investment long term. You not only get GP access but the system is going to support 99% of everything getting released, where Nintendo is going to be missing a lot of titles.

Ozriel

M$FT
Not sure I would recommend buying a Switch this close to the next gen release.

Ideally, the Nintendo console would be better for that age range (my kids definitely have way more fun on their Switch than on the PS5/Xbox) but Switch 2 can’t be any later than 2024. Possibly 2023.

If you’re fine with upgrading later to Switch 2, go that route. If not, the XSS is a fine setup too, paired with GP.

Top Bottom