• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need opinion on Video Card...

I saw this deal... http://www.nt-micro.com/ntik/details.asp?item=pc98se128

POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9800SE Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out

FREE GROUND SHIPPING

Product Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Detailed Specifications
Graphics Controller ATI RADEON 9800SE
Memory Configuration 128MB DDR(256 bit)
Connectors 1 x VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)
1 x TV-Out(S-Video)
1 x DVI connector
Bus Interface AGP 4X/8X
Max Resolution 2048x1536@85Hz
TV Tuner N/A
Video-in N/A
Video-Out Supported
Clock Speed 380MHz
Memory speed 680MHz
System requirements Not Specified
3D Acceleration Features SMARTSHADER™ 2.1 technology supports the latest Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 feature sets, enabling more complex and cinematic-quality lighting effects
SMOOTHVISION™ 2.1 technology delivers the sharpest, clearest textures, removes jaggies and brings out fine texture details without sacrificing frame rates 128-bit full floating point precision enables billions of color variations to render the same lighting and effects as Hollywood studios

Operating Systems Support Windows® XP/2000/NT/ME/98SE

It's okay for a low end card. The SE is basically a defective 9800 that has most of its pathways disabled before it goes out of the factory - for awhile, enthusiasts were buying SE's and trying to unlock them into full 9800 Pros, but thats a pretty hit or miss operation.

For the money, the Radeon 9800 pro is a much better deal at the 200-240 USD mark. I've seen it as low as $250 CDN.

Brofist

I've seen 9800 Pro cards for under $200, and you might even be able to find a standard 9800 (which can easily be flashed and overclocked beyond pro speeds) for barely more than that SE.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yep. 9800 Pro best bang for buck.

I wouldn't even consider 9800 SE.

Newegg's got them for $205 US. But spend an extra $20 for built by ATi. It's worth it.

I'm looking at this one right now: SAPPHIRE/ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DDR 8XAGP WITH TV OUT & DVI VIDEO CARD WITH SOFTWARE (BULK PACK )

Price is $199.

What would be the main difference between this and ATI?

Mrbob

maximum360 said:
I'm looking at this one right now: SAPPHIRE/ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DDR 8XAGP WITH TV OUT & DVI VIDEO CARD WITH SOFTWARE (BULK PACK )

Price is $199.

Maybe the heatsink/fan? Otherwise nothing. Sapphire (Or, I should say, the company behind the Sapphire brand) makes most ATI 9800PRO cards. Sapphire are good cards, but make sure tha is the 256 bit 9800Pro and not the 128 bit 9800PRO. It looks like the 256 bit card but what is the link?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
maximum360 said:

Price is $199.

This is the card I have. Great all around card, plus it was using highly-overclockable Hynix memory. I presently have mine overclocked to a little above 9800 XT speeds and it's stable. One thing I would recommend though, is looking into upgrading the cooling it comes with. Most of the stock coolers you'll find on the 9800s out there (ATI included) are annoyingly loud and aren't really moving much air. The 9800 Pro can be a pretty warm-running card if not properly cooled, so I'd look into this little upgrade...

svcompucycle_1799_81011321

http://www.svc.com/vga-rev3.html

It's inexpensive, pretty easy to install, made my card run cooler (and thus able to overclock more) and is much more quite than the stock heatsink/fan that came with the card.

Mrbob

Yes, the arctic cooler is great! I have one on my 9800PRO and it keeps everything cool at decent overclocked settings (425/385). I also have some ocz copper ramsinks on my 9800PRO which helps keeping the memory cooler too. Nice to have to keep your memory cool. Buying the ramsinks, arctic cooler, and 9800 Pro will be about 230 US dollars. If you don't want to deal with installation yourself just pay a tiny premium and get this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-161-109&depa=0

It has ramsinks and the Arctic Cooler already preinstalled, so you don't void your warranty by adding them on yourself. 240 USD.

However you can still get by without any extra cooling. You just won't be able to overclock your card as high. If you don't care about overclocking sticking with stock speeds and the Sapphire 9800Pro for $199 is fine.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Mrbob said:
Yes, the arctic cooler is great! I have one on my 9800PRO and it keeps everything cool at decent overclocked settings (425/385). I also have some ocz copper ramsinks on my 9800PRO which helps keeping the memory cooler too. Nice to have to keep your memory cool. Buying the ramsinks, arctic cooler, and 9800 Pro will be about 230 US dollars. If you don't want to deal with installation yourself just pay a tiny premium and get this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-161-109&depa=0

It has ramsinks and the Arctic Cooler already preinstalled, so you don't void your warranty by adding them on yourself. 240 USD.

However you can still get by without any extra cooling. You just won't be able to overclock your card as high. If you don't care about overclocking sticking with stock speeds and the Sapphire 9800Pro for $199 is fine.

Heh, yep, bought some copper heatsinks for the BGA memory as well when I was at Fry's the other day. 13 bucks for some chunks of metal, but I never denied that I was a sucker. Still, it looks cool and allowed me to overclock the card a little more.

teh_pwn

I've also got the Sapphire card, but I wish I had gone with built by Ati because:

1. Ati gives lifetime warranties

2. Sapphire uses parts that Ati tested and failed to comply to certain standards (like they perform 5% slower)

3. Better Driver Compatibility. I've been having issues with the SMARTGART in my drivers. It doesn't like detecting my AGP 8X and my benchmarks are a little low. That may be my mobo. I just ordered an Abit IC7-MAXIII. I'll get it monday or tuesday and I'll see if I have the same problem. Otherwise, I suspect because it's not Ati, it's not fully compatible with the drivers. Some manufacturer's, like ASUS with the 9600 XT, make so many changes to hardware that drivers don't work well.

Don't expect that RAM someone mentioned. Sapphire changes it from time to time to something cheaper, just look in the review on newegg and you'll see.

Also, avoid the Sapphire 9800 Pro "ATLANTIS". It has 128-bit RAM and blows.

teh_pwn

No, but I'll look into that.

It's not like I ordered the mobo just for the video card. I'm having SATA issues (I know how to install SATA, I've done it several times) and very low benchmarks. I'm also hoping to overclock a 30 cap P4 3.0 C to 3.75 GHz with that board.

Mrbob

teh_pwn said:
I've also got the Sapphire card, but I wish I had gone with built by Ati because:

1. Ati gives lifetime warranties

2. Sapphire uses parts that Ati tested and failed to comply to certain standards (like they perform 5% slower)

3. Better Driver Compatibility. I've been having issues with the SMARTGART in my drivers. It doesn't like detecting my AGP 8X and my benchmarks are a little low. That may be my mobo. I just ordered an Abit IC7-MAXIII. I'll get it monday or tuesday and I'll see if I have the same problem. Otherwise, I suspect because it's not Ati, it's not fully compatible with the drivers. Some manufacturer's, like ASUS with the 9600 XT, make so many changes to hardware that drivers don't work well.

Don't expect that RAM someone mentioned. Sapphire changes it from time to time to something cheaper, just look in the review on newegg and you'll see.

Also, avoid the Sapphire 9800 Pro "ATLANTIS". It has 128-bit RAM and blows.

I Have a BBA 9800Pro. It is a three year warranty. Not lifetime.

Don't know where you got the idea Sapphire 9800Pros using slower parts than BBA cards...

Diablos

At this point you don't want anything worse than a 9800 Pro.

The stock fan for the 9800 pro isn't bad, and it doesn't seem to be that noisy with a case that has an Antec TruePower 380W, two vantec stealth 80mm fans, and one 24db CPU fan.

Top Bottom