• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need some JP only game recommendations

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
You feeling charitable?

And, by charitable, I mean buying me various things and not needing money in return.

Shouta

No, however on a different note. I saw a Spiderman Manga while browsing through the comic sections at various bookstores.

kiryogi

Banned
How about buying something for me, but not for free. Need to beef up my PS2 library now.

Metal Slug 3 maybe? I see it at NCSX for 68.. I only imagine you could find it cheaper. Sister was showing interest in it after playing it on xbox but I mustn't let her go that way :p

HAOHMARU

kiryogi said:
How about buying something for me, but not for free. Need to beef up my PS2 library now.

Metal Slug 3 maybe? I see it at NCSX for 68.. I only imagine you could find it cheaper. Sister was showing interest in it after playing it on xbox but I mustn't let her go that way :p

I got a used MS3 for 3,500 ($33?) yen for my PS2. I couldn't find a new one...and I looked everywhere.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
new or used, i defy most people to be able to tell the difference between the two.

Japanese second hand is pretty much like no one has ever opened the box.

Brofist

DCharlie said:
new or used, i defy most people to be able to tell the difference between the two.

Japanese second hand is pretty much like no one has ever opened the box.

Yes very true, and many Japanese beat games rather quickly, so you can usually find it used a week after released.

BTW DC, do you know how does buy back works in Japanese game stores (never actually sold a game back). Do they give you cash, credit, is it a fair amount? Sorry so many questions lately, but easier asking you than the Japanese shopkeep :p

HAOHMARU

Oh, I wasn't knocking used Japanese games at all. In my efforts to find a PS2 version of MS3 I only came across one copy, which was used so I got it.

I've gotten many used GC, PS2 and DC games...and all have been in excellent condition. They were basically brand new minus the factory shrink wrap...and even then they gave you the plastic sleeve.

My favorite store was Top Boy in Yokohama...they give you member discounts and offer a lot cheaper prices than the bigger name brand stores. I walked around Akiabahra a couple of times but never found my nitche place. Top Boy was fairly priced...and it was right by my apartment. That meant I could pick up games on the way back from work :D

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"BTW DC, do you know how does buy back works in Japanese game stores (never actually sold a game back). Do they give you cash, credit, is it a fair amount? Sorry so many questions lately, but easier asking you than the Japanese shopkeep "

they usually have a list which gives you the cash value. Most (if not all) shops don't have a trade in value - each game basically as a value and that's what you get if you are cashing it in.

The amounts tend to be okay, some games like Monster hunter were still worth 4000 yen or so. If you can finish a game quickly, you can get a big chunk of cash back.

"My favorite store was Top Boy in Yokohama..."

I really haven't checked out Yokohama - which is retarded since i'm about 20 minutes away. Perhaps i'll take a stroll down there this weekend ? hmm...
Could you give directions to Top Boy pleasE?

HAOHMARU

Sure:

Get to Yokohama Station.
Go out torward the exit with the escalators and the statue of a naked woman. I think it is the East exit, but don't quote me on that. I always got them mixed up whenever I gave directions...(if you have ever been to the Friday's in Yokohama, thats the exit I'm talking about)
Before going out to the taxi/bus area, stay inside the building and go left through the mall and keep walking.
Don't exit yet...keep walking straight past the Koban...and past the movie ticket office (should be on your right hand side)
Go straight out that exit and then Top Boy should be on your left hand side on that street you just walked onto. (Walk past the convient store and the comic book shop...you will see a used game bin and a best seller rack outside. The right side of the store is like a golf shop or something.)

Even though it is rather small in there, they have a very good selection of new and used games that are fairly priced. I'm not sure how well it would compare to some of the other "mom and pop" places in and around Tokyo, but it was my favorite.

Shouta

I think I saw a copy of MS3 yesterday. I`ll see what I can do ;p.

On that note, ANYONE know why the hell Black Matrix Zero is so expensive for the playstation? I think I saw a new copy of it for the DC for cheap (which I think I`ll pick up)

Tabris

slps25233.jpg

What's that?

Shouta said:
On that note, ANYONE know why the hell Black Matrix Zero is so expensive for the playstation? I think I saw a new copy of it for the DC for cheap (which I think I`ll pick up)
I believe Black Matrix Zero is PS only and is not a port

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I just got Shinkon Gattai Godanner!! last night; pretty faitful to the anime series, and the closest thing to TECH ROMANCER 2 (with added b00bs) that we're going to get. :) If I can find some good screenshots online, I may (finally) write some impressions, but I want to get everything unlocked first. Bandai has really improved their anime-to-game translations this gen...

gondannar.jpg

The game also comes with a DVD that says something about having episodes 1-13 (the first season) of the show, which people seem to think means Bandai actually let all 13 episodes come out on one disc with a game, but apparently it's just a 100-minute recap. I haven't looked at it myself, but don't see the point when I have all the eps downloaded anyway.

Gunbird 1 & 2 on one PS2 disc? I hope, yet doubt, this is states-bound.

What's wrong with Elevator Action Old & New? Does it stink?

Shouta

I saw the Goddannar game and thought of MAF. =o

As for Black Matrix Zero, I`ll have to look into it.

Gonna really start Growlanser soon. Going to finish my run through Grandia (2nd time) on my laptop before I load up Growlanser. And jeez, there`s an enormous amount of voice-acting at the beginning of GL. It felt like I was playing one of thoese dating sims except for the part where I went to a semi-SRPG like battle system o_O

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I finally got my Black/Matrix 00 in... I only played through to the first battle in order to save (been playing Espgaluda a lot more), it at least seems like it'll be a better game than Black/Matrix 2.

Oh, and B/M0 is the GBA title, Double Zero is the PS1 title.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Well, if I'm not mistaken, NEC Interchannel's site of 00 describes the game as a souped-up/improved version of the GBA game.

I played 0 on rom until the first battle, and it seems like it shares a few similar characters and script items but otherwise the battle maps, interface, and story pacing are completely different.

I'd really have to finish 00 before knowing what the game has in store.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
How about just a good RPG that ain't coming stateside? Not Strat RPG, not action RPG, just RPG.
I want my little bitches to be on one side of the screen, and the little enemy fuckers on the other. I wanna issue commands and watch my little bitches fuck the shit out of the enemies in glorious turn based ass kicking.
I picked up Atelier Iris - Eternal Mana yesterday on a whim. It was ¥6000 most places, but Book-Off had a copy for ¥5200. Sadly the place with it for ¥4500 was out of stock and won't restock until probably I'm gone.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Don't have a PS2 with me in Japan, and with my limited time, I might only touch it a little before I go home. Some dude in my program got a ps2, I should bug him to try it out though.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
How much are PS2 systems going for in Japan these days, anyway? I was thinking about buying another system to replace my first-gen model.

kiryogi

Banned
Woo, went and got 3 more import titles for my new sakura ps2! Got Narutimet Hero for me and buddies, Goddanar on your suggestion Lyte, (boobs and tech romancher?! It better be good) and atelier iris: eternal mana (It was that or espagaluda, I coin tossed.. I'll get Espagaluda with VF:CG at the end of the month if its still there)

RevenantKioku

I've seen the ps2s in the 19,000yen range, but those were the special colors, I think the regulars were a bit cheaper.

Shouta

Hah, found an Arcade near Nagoya station with a Espgaluda Cab and a few other fun shooters. Also the only farking 3s cab I`ve seen out of the 5 arcades I`ve went to. Espgaluda plays almost exactly like ESP Raid except for that new shield mechanic ;p.

Shouta

Anyone heard of a chain called Geo? I ran into two of them today (Rental of videos and sales of DVDs/Games/Manga). Found some pretty kick butt stuff. PIcked up Langrisser Milennium and Black Matrix A/D for the Dreamcast (980 en a piece) and Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Remote Control Dandy (!) for 1980 and 1480 yen respectively. Also got the Langrisser 4 Strategy guide for 750 en and a VP and Vagrant Story one for 250 en a pop. Not a bad hall for getting myself somewhat lost on foot today.

Top Bottom