• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Negro Valley, Negro Point and Negro Mountain? It's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliesen

I'd say, keep them like that. It is over 400 years old.

I raise your racist with racist and sexist. These Chocolate-coated_marshmallow_treats were called negress's tits where I live.

Negro's kisses here. Equally racist, less raunchy. :(

What the fuck. How has nobody changed that yet? Does that mean something else in French?

most likely also named after some Niggerhead growing there. Like ... maybe black headed mushrooms growing there.

MilkyJoe

When can we change the racist ass Isle of White tho

isle-of-wight-pictorial-map.-vintage-br-travel-poster-by-tom-smith.-1949-1184-p.jpg

Edit:Beaten

Nivash

On the use of neger and foodstuff I give you the humble Swedish cocoa ball.

250px-Chokladbollar.jpg

Up until the early 2000 commonly referred to as negro balls. And yes, negro is only used in Swedish when talking about black people. The Swedish word for black is svart.

At least it gave us this beautiful scene:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=thEW20bC8d4

It used to be accepted to call a broken cigarette a "jew" in Austria. It used to be accepted to call a chinese person a "Chink". Thank god that's not the case anymore.

it used to be accepted, not because people were generally more laid back and less "politically correct", but because people were pretty racist back then and generally thought lesser of African or Asian people and seemed to lack empathy :p
Except I explained the origins and the consistency with how the Dutch call white people. It used to be accepted because it was logical. Roman color for skin, Germanic color for everything else, both black and white. It seems to me the biggest reason it's not accepted anymore is because of a similar word in English and I think that's a bit strange. It's like the Dutch complaining how the English speaking world uses "wife", because "wijf" in Dutch is a derogative term for a woman.

The cognate in English is "Moor," which is indeed an extremely old (like, 800 years old) word used to describe dark-skinned people in general, including Arabs, Africans, Indians, Algerians, etc. It hasn't really been popular since the 1600s, though. It's unlikely you'll ever hear a racist in an English-speaking country cursing the Moors for their existence.

Wait... Moors is still the predominant historical name for the Muslim (and some Christian) population that inhabited the Iberian peninsula in the late first, early second Millenia.

Unless you mean describing modern Northern Africans as Moors, which, sure. But, correct me if I'm wrong, the people who lived in Northern Africa around 800, 1000, etc., were/are called The Moors?

Beefy

oh.

the statistics bureau said there were either less than three or none with that surname and wikipedia said none so I went with that.

damn he most have had an awkward life introducing himself

Yep, I bet whoever he decides to marry wants to keep their surname instead of his.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
erm, we still call cigarettes in a way that is seen as derogatory by American people, although the offensive usage is sadly catching on

It seems bizarre that "British" sailors would go up to the Arctic and name something "Nigger Mountain". Especially in Norwegian. Presumably they were named whatever by the sailors, the name got accepted and then translated into Norwegian?

Piggus

I live near a road called "Dead Indian Road." Kinda surprised it hasn't been changed, but I guess there's some kind of historical significance behind it.

It seems bizarre that "British" sailors would go up to the Arctic and name something "Nigger Mountain". Especially in Norwegian. Presumably they were named whatever by the sailors, the name got accepted and then translated into Norwegian?

Yeah, that's what the article says:
The name Negerpynten comes from the English word "Negro Point," which it was given by British sailors in the early 1600s. It was given this name because the area consisted of a lot of black stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom