• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Negro Valley, Negro Point and Negro Mountain? It's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gastone

Just came across this on a local newssite.

It seems that the naming comitee of the Norwegian Polar Institute has no plans to change the names of these historical locations, but they are willing to look at it if someone makes it an issue.

The names of these locations were given by British sailors back in the 1600's due to the color of the rocks/mountains.

The original article is in Norwegian, but here is a Google translation link.
Translated article

Sorry if posted before. And it's my first post as a member. Be kind.

What are your thoughts, Gaf? I know there's a lot of debate on if the word "neger" is considered racist, not to mention when it comes to the words being used in historical items such as old literature, magazines, movies and obviously locations.

Edit: Also, i should have changed the title of the tread to be "Neger" and not "Negro". Sorry for the mistake

Are people really offended or is that another example of doing silly things because it could be that some people could be offended by the names of random places in Norway - although everyone knows that the names aren't offensive in whatever ways?

Is this English or Spanish version of Negro?

Color of the rocks, I would say spanish version. Well, it comes from the latin, nigrum, they probably wnated to give it a more latin sounding name than just calling it black.
I dont know how someone could find it offensive, but of course america seems to like to make lots of its words into some racist or offensive thing, so you need to tip toe everything.

Isnt there some South Park episode where it talks about the words not being the problem, but what the people trying to convert that word into?

Gastone

The word "negro" is not mentioned in the original Norwegian article, so please ignore that. It's the word "neger" that is specifically mentioned and used. I also removed it from the OP.

The word "neger" is described is most major Norwegian dictionaries as being a word often used in a condesending matter. At least the dictionaries from the 90's and newer.

The word "negro" is not mentioned in the original Norwegian article, so please ignore that. It's the word "neger" that is specifically mentioned and used. I also removed it from the OP.

The word "neger" is described is most major Norwegian dictionaries as being a word often used in a condesending matter. At least the dictionaries from the 90's and newer.

Well that another matter then.
The question now is, was it used as an offensive word in the 1600's or was at that time just another word to say the color black in norwegian?

G.ZZZ

Amaro.jpg

Europe and their racism lmao

Fliesen

again, to everyone just going "LOL THREAD TITLE" and posting:

"Negerfjellet, Negerpynten og Negerdalen" means literally Nigger Mountain, Nigger Point and Nigger valley

There is no
"well, 'negro' is slightly condescending and was historically innocently used in mostly descriptive ways, while 'nigger' is used as a racial slur" in many European languages, including Norwegian.

There's always been one word, which is "Neger", which encapsulates, both the "it's not that bad, that's just how they said it back then" aspects of 'negro' as well as the "that's how people call People of Colour in a racist fashion" aspects of 'nigger'

which is why they should be renamed.

Schwarzenegger is doubly fucked as his name means Blacknegger.
nope, because "Negger" isn't "Neger", just like "Niger" isn't "Nigger". It's not that hard to grasp, really :p

"Negerfjellet, Negerpynten og Negerdalen" means literally Nigger Mountain, Nigger Point and Nigger valley

There is no
"well, 'negro' is slightly condescending and was historically innocently used in mostly descriptive ways, while 'nigger' is used as a racial slur" in many European languages, including Norwegian.

There's always been one word, which is "Neger", which encapsulates, both the "it's not that bad, that's just how they said it back then" aspects of 'negro' as well as the "that's how people call People of Colour in a racist fashion" aspects of 'nigger'

nope, because "Negger" isn't "Neger", just like "Niger" isn't "Nigger". It's not that hard to grasp, really :p

So should we get rid of people with the surname Neger?

Idba

There is no

Fliesen

So should we get rid of people with the surname Neger?

no. But it's perfectly fine to give these landmarks new names. It's not like they care.

and people who keep quoting "witty" remarks about anything "negro". It's quite literally not the same thing. Different languages have different issues with different words, who knew.

Africanus

I hope Nigeria will change its name soon. And don't forget Montenegro.

Why are certain people so uninformed...

Wikipedia said:
The name Nigeria was taken from the Niger River running through the country. The origin of the name Niger, which originally applied only to the middle reaches of the Niger River, is uncertain. The word is most likely an alteration of the Tuareg name egerew n-igerewen used by inhabitants along the middle reaches of the river around Timbuktu prior to 19th-century European colonialism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom