Neil deGrasse Tyson sexual misconduct allegations...

Oct 17, 2012
www.kaffeeware.com

Celebrity astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson is being investigated by Fox and National Geographic Networks over sexual misconduct allegations lodged against him.

Two women came forward to accuse deGrasse Tyson of misconduct Thursday in a story on the website Patheos. In 2014, a former classmate of deGrasse Tyson's at the University of Texas in Austin accused him of rape in a blog post.

Ashley Watson, who also came forward in the Patheos story, said the deGrasse Tyson tried to persuade her into having sex and made "misogynistic comments" occasionally.

Musician Tchiya Amet claimed in 2014 that deGrasse Tyson drugged and raped her while they were both in school in the 1980s.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/...investigating-neil-degrasse-tyson-amid-sexual

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Sep 4, 2018
being investigated by Fox and National Geographic Networks
what is ignored entirely here is Disney's likely role. they are finalizing the purchase of Fox this very minute, and shoring up properties like NatGeo that come with that purchase. heads are already rolling behind the scenes, this could easily be to make sure that deal goes through. imo the James Gunn situation was a similar one (being an issue of not letting a massive PR risk upset a giant corporate merger)

pretty nice of them to keep Disney's name entirely out of the story. then again we know they swing a big dick.

Last edited:
May 4, 2014
Would be schocking if true, but frankly, I"ll remain quite plainly neutral until its investigated by the authorities and they come to any conclusion. An unverified story from some blog is certainly no reason to directly pass judgement over anyone (not impliying its a lie; just implying its not a proven fact so far, so no reason to rush to conclusions immediately)

Feb 25, 2018
Just another guy that will be brought down will the presumed guilty, believe her mentality, that the leftist regressives have employed to destroy their enemies.. so straight men, preferably white ones first, but any man ultimately. 95% of these cases are awkward encounters or typical mating/interest/romantic gestures that have been practiced by men for thousands of years, only for them to be deemed rape, sexual assault, etc in the "current year" dogma of prog ideology. Its going bite them in ass, once enough mens lives are destroyed and these men start to think, hey... patriachy aint so bad, feminism is cancer, and so on, till they slowly arrive to the shitlord side. I for one will welcome them.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2009
Allegations are news. Of course the court of public opinion will always have a field day, but whether he did anything will be a matter for an actual court to decide.
Allegations aren’t news. When cops are investigating a case and think someone might be guilty they don’t go hey we think mr x killed this person. They interview him and look into it. And bring facts to put charges against him. The left is going to eat itself at this rate.

Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
What does this mean exactly? So much of modern sexual harrassment sounds like normal human interaction that one party got salty over.
I remember that Aziz Ansari story from a couple years ago where to me it sounded like it was just a bad date and no harm was done but people went after that guy hard.

Edit:

I guess it was just a year ago. Thought it was longer past.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018
Just another guy that will be brought down will the presumed guilty, believe her mentality, that the leftist regressives have employed to destroy their enemies.. so straight men, preferably white ones first, but any man ultimately. 95% of these cases are awkward encounters or typical mating/interest/romantic gestures that have been practiced by men for thousands of years, only for them to be deemed rape, sexual assault, etc in the "current year" dogma of prog ideology. Its going bite them in ass, once enough mens lives are destroyed and these men start to think, hey... patriachy aint so bad, feminism is cancer, and so on, till they slowly arrive to the shitlord side. I for one will welcome them.
Unfortunately, in the era of everything being a team sport, until enough guys that the left likes get accused and have their lives ruined they are aren't going to deviate from their naivety of believing all women.

Rape and sexual assault allegations are way too powerful and with their side controlling traditional and social media, they can destroy the men they want (ex: Kavanaugh) and bury the story for those they want to protect.

Men like Neil deGrasse Tyson getting accused will perk up their ears, but it will take him geting his lifed ruined for it and several other men on their side getting the same treatment for them to wake up and take notice.

Oct 26, 2018
Allegations are news. Of course the court of public opinion will always have a field day, but whether he did anything will be a matter for an actual court to decide.
And sad it's like this.

I don't know if Degrasse is a big enough celebrity, but if he is, it'll be onslaughts of sexual allegations, lawyers, PR statements and such.

Two years from now, it can be all settled as a scam where he's innocent.

It'll be a one day article saying he's innocent and the media won't bring it up again, yet the previous two years were accusations and public shaming where his image and career might be screwed.

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
This is a pretty sad state that hurts men, infantilizes women, and just breeds mistrust.

I think before me too I was always inclined to believe women with the caveat that I was suspicious if the accused was rich/powerful/celebrity. I don’t feel inclined to believe any blog post accusations or social media outings. These women are adults and know how to file a police report. Due process, it helps prevent lives getting ruined by spurious accusations.

Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
This is a pretty sad state that hurts men, infantilizes women, and just breeds mistrust.

I think before me too I was always inclined to believe women with the caveat that I was suspicious if the accused was rich/powerful/celebrity. I don’t feel inclined to believe any blog post accusations or social media outings. These women are adults and know how to file a police report. Due process, it helps prevent lives getting ruined by spurious accusations.
I honestly feel like #MeToo started with good intentions but it quickly was hijacked by extremists. It’s become almost impossible for people to respect the rights of the accused and the accusers.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018

Celebrity astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson is being investigated by Fox and National Geographic Networks over sexual misconduct allegations lodged against him.

Two women came forward to accuse deGrasse Tyson of misconduct Thursday in a story on the website Patheos. In 2014, a former classmate of deGrasse Tyson's at the University of Texas in Austin accused him of rape in a blog post.

Ashley Watson, who also came forward in the Patheos story, said the deGrasse Tyson tried to persuade her into having sex and made "misogynistic comments" occasionally.

Musician Tchiya Amet claimed in 2014 that deGrasse Tyson drugged and raped her while they were both in school in the 1980s.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/...investigating-neil-degrasse-tyson-amid-sexual
I will repeat what I said on twitter:

Remember: Innocent Until Proven Guilty. Allegations do not mean that he is guilty or he committed any crimes. Do not jump the gun and do not try to ruin someone's life until sufficient evidence has been brought forth.

Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
Today is October 8, 2014. 30 years. Today there was an eclipse, during the Ra Aspolia Pi Cot Sahu (Full Moon and Portal of Djehuty (Sun in Sidereal Virgo, Moon in PIsces, Mercury Retrograde). Kinda intense when you really sit bak and take it all in. Tomorrow, Set (Mars, Ego) has an appointment with Master healer Imhotep (Mars enters Ophiuchus: tome for healing from sexual trauma, time for conquering lower nature, etc).

All this to say that this posting is in alignment with the Divine Natural Right Order. Although I know this is the right decision, it has been difficult to take action, because I know this monster is loved by so many of you. However, in order to maintain my own well being, peace of mind, sanity, longevity, positivity, peaceful relationships, health, happiness, self love and self trust, in order to elimnate blocks to my own abundance and prosperity, it has become impossible to keep silent anymore. I continue to wonder if he is still hurting women, children or men. It is also important for me to speak out NOW because it is important for ALL people that have been sexually violated in any way to stand up and speak out if we want this type of cruelty to cease.
END THE SILENCE, END THE VIOLENCE. THE BLUE LOTUS SPEAKS!
This is the rape accusation? This sounds so loony.

Jun 13, 2013
Australia
I'll wait for actual law enforcement to actually investigate the allegations and actually comment on whether or not he actually did anything wrong, as opposed to Fox and NeoGeo asking him if he "tried to persuade her into having sex ".

Jan 14, 2018
Today there was an eclipse, during the Ra Aspolia Pi Cot Sahu (Full Moon and Portal of Djehuty (Sun in Sidereal Virgo, Moon in PIsces, Mercury Retrograde). Kinda intense when you really sit bak and take it all in. Tomorrow, Set (Mars, Ego) has an appointment with Master healer Imhotep (Mars enters Ophiuchus: tome for healing from sexual trauma, time for conquering lower nature, etc). All this to say that this posting is in alignment with the Divine Natural Right Order.

Not sure how much credit I should lend to a crazy new-age Kemetic esotericist practicing "DIVINE HEALING" based on Egyptian mythology, with a possible ax to grind against an atheist scientist who's been known for harshly criticizing pseudo-scientific beliefs and practices.

Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
What does this mean exactly? So much of modern sexual harrassment sounds like normal human interaction that one party got salty over.
This is what it seems to be a case of to me too, Neil Degrasse Tyson put the moves on a lady, she wasn't into it, fair enough, but it doesn't mean Tyson did anything wrong.

It seems like the culture is fast moving in the direction of men being expected to never even try to sleep with a woman anymore, better invest in Fleshlights and Tengas fellas.

Night.Ninja

One really creepy thing I do is just repeatedly shit on GAF while sarcastically calling it a "top tier gaming forum" so feel free to report me if I keep doing this.
Feb 21, 2016
Creepy behaviour is sooo subjective

These days saying hello is classed as creepy

Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA

It's getting to the point where Interacting with a woman in any way beyond base professionalism or the smallest of small talk is putting your career in jeopardy.

Women are gonna regret that and miss the attention, how is anyone supposed to start a relationship when trying to take things to a romantic level is akin to playing Russian Roulette?

Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
Tyson's response, via Facebook:

For a variety of reasons, most justified, some unjustified, men accused of sexual impropriety in today’s “me-too” climate are presumed to be guilty by the court of public opinion. Emotions bypass due-process, people choose sides, and the social media wars begin.

In any claim, evidence matters. Evidence always matters. But what happens when it’s just one person’s word against another’s, and the stories don’t agree? That’s when people tend to pass judgment on who is more credible than whom. And that’s when an impartial investigation can best serve the truth – and would have my full cooperation to do so.

I’ve recently been publically accused of sexual misconduct. These accusations have received a fair amount of press in the past forty-eight hours, unaccompanied by my reactions. In many cases, it’s not the media’s fault. I declined comment on the grounds that serious accusations should not be adjudicated in the press. But clearly I cannot continue to stay silent. So below I offer my account of each accusation.

The 2009 Incident
I am asked by thousands of people per year to take pictures with them. A flattering, time consuming, but delightful chore. As many in my fan-base can attest, I get almost giddy if I notice you’re wearing cosmic bling – clothing or jewelry or tattoos that portray the universe, either scientifically or artistically. And I make it a priority to point out these adornments for the photograph.

A colleague at a well attended, after-conference, social gathering came up to me to ask for a photograph. She was wearing a sleeveless dress with a tattooed solar system extending up her arm. And while I don’t explicitly remember searching for Pluto at the top of her shoulder, it is surely something I would have done in that situation. As we all know, I have professional history with the demotion of Pluto, which had occurred officially just three years earlier. So whether people include it or not in their tattoos is of great interest to me. I was reported to have “groped” her by searching “up her dress”, when this was simply a search under the covered part of her shoulder of the sleeveless dress.

I only just learned (nine years after) that she thought this behavior creepy. That was never my intent and I’m deeply sorry to have made her feel that way. Had I been told of her discomfort in the moment, I would have offered this same apology eagerly, and on the spot. In my mind’s eye, I’m a friendly and accessible guy, but going forward, I can surely be more sensitive to people’s personal space, even in the midst of my planetary enthusiasm.

Summer 2018 Incident
While filming this past summer, I had a (female) Production Assistant assigned to me, to ensure, among her countless tasks, that every ounce of my energy was efficiently allocated to the production needs of the show. As part of this, she was also my driver, to and from the studio, ensuring that I arrive on time. In the car we would review details of the shoot and she would help me anticipate parts of the shoot to come. Across the many weeks of shooting she and I spent upwards of a hundred hours in one-on-one conversation. We became so friendly that we talked about all manner of subjects, even social-personal ones, like the care of aging parents, sibling relationships, life in high school and college, hometown hobbies, race, gender, and so forth. We also discussed less-personal topics in abundance, like rock lyrics, favorite songs in various musical genres, concert experiences, etc. And we also talked about food – I’m kind of a foodie, and her fiancé was a chef. In short, we had a fun, talkative friendship.

She is a talented, warm and friendly person -- excellent traits for morale on a high pressure production. Practically everyone she knows on set gets a daily welcome-hug from her. I expressly rejected each hug offered frequently during the Production. But in its place I offered a handshake, and on a few occasions, clumsily declared, “If I hug you I might just want more.” My intent was to express restrained but genuine affection.

In the final week of shooting, with just a few days left, as a capstone of our friendship, I invited her to wine & cheese at my place upon dropping me off from work. No pressure. I serve wine & cheese often to visitors. And I even alerted her that others from the production were gathering elsewhere that evening, so she could just drop me off and head straight there or anywhere elsewhere. She freely chose to come by for wine & cheese and I was delighted. In the car, we had started a long conversation that could continue unabated. Production days are long. We arrived late, but she was on her way home two hours later.

Afterwards, she came into my office to told me she was creeped out by the wine & cheese evening. She viewed the invite as an attempt to seduce her, even though she sat across the wine & cheese table from me, and all conversation had been in the same vein as all other conversations we ever had.

Further, I never touched her until I shook her hand upon departure. On that occasion, I had offered a special handshake, one I learned from a Native elder on reservation land at the edge of the Grand Canyon. You extend your thumb forward during the handshake to feel the other person’s vital spirit energy -- the pulse. I’ve never forgotten that handshake, and I save it in appreciation of people with whom I’ve developed new friendships.

At that last meeting in my office, I apologized profusely. She accepted the apology. And I assured her that had I known she was uncomfortable, I would have apologized on the spot, ended the evening, and possibly reminded her of the other social gathering that she could attend. She nonetheless declared it her last day, with only a few days left of production.

I note that her final gesture to me was the offer of a hug, which I accepted as a parting friend.

Early 1980s
I entered astrophysics graduate school directly out of college in 1980. It’s a grueling adventure-marathon, and many people do not finish the PhD. In fact, it was not uncommon for half the admitted students to leave after two or three years, finding some other kind of work in their lives. While in graduate school I had several girlfriends, one of whom would become my wife of thirty years, a mathematical physicist -- we met in Relativity class. Over this time I had a brief relationship with a fellow astro-graduate student, from a more recent entering class. I remember being intimate only a few times, all at her apartment, but the chemistry wasn’t there. So the relationship faded quickly. There was nothing otherwise odd or unusual about this friendship.

I didn't see much of her after that time. Our student offices were on different floors of the building and we were not in the same classes. A few years later, I ran into her, pregnant, with who I think was the father by her side. That’s when I had learned that she dropped out of graduate school. Again, this is not itself an unusual fact, but I nonetheless wished her well in motherhood and in whatever career path would follow.

More than thirty years later, as my visibility-level took another jump, I read a freshly posted blog accusing me of drugging and raping a woman I did not recognize by either photo or name. Turned out to be the same person who I dated briefly in graduate school. She had changed her name and lived an entire life, married with children, before this accusation.

For me, what was most significant, was that in this new life, long after dropping out of astrophysics graduate school, she was posting videos of colored tuning forks endowed with vibrational therapeutic energy that she channels from the orbiting planets. As a scientist, I found this odd. Meanwhile, according to her blog posts, the drug and rape allegation comes from an assumption of what happened to her during a night that she cannot remember. It is as though a false memory had been implanted, which, because it never actually happened, had to be remembered as an evening she doesn’t remember. Nor does she remember waking up the next morning and going to the office. I kept a record of everything she posted, in case her stories morphed over time. So this is sad, which, for me, defies explanation.

I note that this allegation was used as a kind of solicitation-bait by at least one journalist to bring out of the woodwork anybody who had any encounter with me that left them uncomfortable.

Overview
I’m the accused, so why believe anything I say? Why believe me at all?

That brings us back to the value of an independent investigation, which FOX/NatGeo (the networks on which Cosmos and StarTalk air) announced that they will conduct. I welcome this.

Accusations can damage a reputation and a marriage. Sometimes irreversibly. I see myself as loving husband and as a public servant – a scientist and educator who serves at the will of the public. I am grateful for the support I’ve received from those who continue to respect and value me and my work.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2014
It's getting to the point where Interacting with a woman in any way beyond base professionalism or the smallest of small talk is putting your career in jeopardy.

Women are gonna regret that and miss the attention, how is anyone supposed to start a relationship when trying to take things to a romantic level is akin to playing Russian Roulette?
Sums up the climate perfectly. I don't make any advances at clubs/bars anymore because of this shit. It used to be (insert opener here) and if you got rejected, who gives a shit, move on to the next one. Now you say hello and some women look at you like a sexual predator while searching for their pepper spray in their handbags. Not worth the gamble for me anymore.

Oct 1, 2006

Not entirely related, but the basic theme is there. If a women is attracted to a guy, without the guy knowing, she is much more likely to accept more a flirtatious or aggressive introduction than she would be from someone she is not attracted to, even though in both cases "consent" is not there. In feminist theory, the latter cases often to seem to be exaggerated as "creepy" or are conflated with stalkerish behavior (or, hilariously, have a bunch of people on Era proposing that Tyson is autistic).

Oct 17, 2012
www.kaffeeware.com

Not entirely related, but the basic theme is there. If a women is attracted to a guy, without the guy knowing, she is much more likely to accept more a flirtatious or aggressive introduction than she would be from someone she is not attracted to, even though in both cases "consent" is not there.
I sometimes think this is a direct consequence of the PUA culture becoming mainstream. Non-Chads are encourage to "never give up" and "shoot for the stars".

Nov 13, 2013
Doesn’t feel like one of the ones where much is going to come out of it. I like NDT, I hope his version of events are true. If they are, it’s a shame that you can’t do anything anymore without people feeling violated.

Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
Sums up the climate perfectly. I don't make any advances at clubs/bars anymore because of this shit. It used to be (insert opener here) and if you got rejected, who gives a shit, move on to the next one. Now you say hello and some women look at you like a sexual predator while searching for their pepper spray in their handbags. Not worth the gamble for me anymore.
To me there's such a clear line between what is harassment and what is not.

Simply making a pass at someone is not it, provided you know when to drop it and not cross the line, someone making you feel a little awkward does not mean you were harassed, people need to get the fuck over themselves.

Probably every single man in the public eye and a position of power is going to get hit with allegations of sexual misconduct sooner or later, it's just how modern times rolls, until people learn to separate the plausible ones from the obvious nonsense this is actually going to hurt the real victims of sexual harassment.

Tyson sums it up, "Evidence always matters.", this has only made me like him even more than I already did.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
This is just my personal view, but my gut instinct tells me that the idea of Tyson raping someone is utterly absurd, he just does not seem like that kind of guy at all.

Bill Cosby on the other hand for example, I always got bad vibes from him given how sanctimonious he was and hyper critical of others, I heard this story where he berated a college graduate while he up on the stage accepting his diploma for his grades being "too low", someone who does something like that obviously has skeletons in their closet that they try to hide by drawing the focus on everyone but themselves' faults.

Same deal with Harvey Weinstein, the dude was infamously an asshole, so those allegations were not a surprise in the least.

Steven Seagal was obviously a full of himself dickhead, also not shocking to hear he would do sleazy things.

You can tell a lot just by someone's character, someone who is willing to do despicable things is generally not going to be a nice person, there can be exceptions but I think it's true more often than that a bad person is going to have clear warning signs.

Once again, I just do not get the vibe that Neil deGrasse Tyson is a bad dude at all and I'm really sorry he has to go through this.

The spotlight needs to be put on women as to why they feel like it's ok to try to ruin a man's life over an experience of "he made me feel a little uncomfortable" or why modern culture thinks it's ok to just accept an out of the blue rape allegation without a shred of evidence, nobody likes the idea of a guy getting away with rape but the Kafkaesque nightmare of a world where someone's life can be destroyed by someone else's word alone is not the answer.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
This is just my personal view, but my gut instinct tells me that the idea of Tyson raping someone is utterly absurd, he just does not seem like that kind of guy at all.

Bill Cosby on the other hand for example, I always got bad vibes from him given how sanctimonious he was and hyper critical of others, I heard this story where he berated a college graduate while he up on the stage accepting his diploma for his grades being "too low", someone who does something like that obviously has skeletons in their closet that they try to hide by drawing the focus on everyone but themselves' faults.

Same deal with Harvey Weinstein, the dude was infamously an asshole, so those allegations were not a surprise in the least.

Steven Seagal was obviously a full of himself dickhead, also not shocking to hear he would do sleazy things.

You can tell a lot just by someone's character, someone who is willing to do despicable things is generally not going to be a nice person, there can be exceptions but I think it's true more often than that a bad person is going to have clear warning signs.

Once again, I just do not get the vibe that Neil deGrasse Tyson is a bad dude at all and I'm really sorry he has to go through this.

The spotlight needs to be put on women as to why they feel like it's ok to try to ruin a man's life over an experience of "he made me feel a little uncomfortable" or why modern culture thinks it's ok to just accept an out of the blue rape allegation without a shred of evidence, nobody likes the idea of a guy getting away with rape but the Kafkaesque nightmare of a world where someone's life can be destroyed by someone else's word alone is not the answer.
Sadly, we are living in a world/nation (at least in regards to the United States) where the far-left has managed to create the frameset of "Believe All Women". This sets up men to fail when allegations are placed and rarely are the instigators punished for their crimes when they come to light by any decent measure.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
Sadly, we are living in a world/nation (at least in regards to the United States) where the far-left has managed to create the frameset of "Believe All Women". This sets up men to fail when allegations are placed and rarely are the instigators punished for their crimes when they come to light by any decent measure.
I remember people used to throw around terms like "Kafkaesque" or "Orwellian" in the 2000s but it was always under the assumption that suchs things would be coming from a conservative political angle.

Little did we all know that the left was just as much of a threat for this stuff and what makes it so dangerous is far too many are blind to the fact because "anything left wing = good, anything right wing = bad" has been drilled into people's heads for ages.

Jan 14, 2018
Well, he's a closet atheist in Trump's USA. Public opinion is going to eat him alive.

That's said, he's in Trump's USA
Wait, what? There is nothing "closet" about his atheism, he even went out and said if you believe in God (any god) he has no use for you in science. I don't know how he could have made it any clearer?

Also, Trump isn't very religious either. He is the first US president I'm aware of who never made a big song and dance around his love for Jesus. In fact I can't remember him ever saying anything about his religious beliefs, he might very well be the most atheist president the US had seen so far.

May 22, 2018
This is really depressing for me because I have always been a big fan of his. His interviews on the Daily Show and other outlets were always a treat. I want to really believe that the allegations aren't true because I do like the man, but once you see that its multiple women and that they have no real reason to lie it becomes very hard to do so.