Neil deGrasse Tyson sexual misconduct allegations...

Oct 17, 2018
Wait, what? There is nothing "closet" about his atheism, he even went out and said if you believe in God (any god) he has no use for you in science. I don't know how he could have made it any clearer?

Also, Trump isn't very religious either. He is the first US president I'm aware of who never made a big song and dance around his love for Jesus. In fact I can't remember him ever saying anything about his religious beliefs, he might very well be the most atheist president the US had seen so far.
Maybe i haven't been explicit enough. I'm not mentioning Trump because his religious beliefs. I couldn't care less about those.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff member
May 30, 2004
This is really depressing for me because I have always been a big fan of his. His interviews on the Daily Show and other outlets were always a treat. I want to really believe that the allegations aren't true because I do like the man, but once you see that its multiple women and that they have no real reason to lie it becomes very hard to do so.
Did you miss the part where one of the accounts is straight padded room nutters and the other does not actually describe any sexual misconduct? Is that not relevant to your takeaway here?

May 22, 2018
Did you miss the part where one of the accounts is straight padded room nutters and the other does not actually describe any sexual misconduct? Is that not relevant to your takeaway here?
No I saw and it does play a part. Thats why I said it makes it hard. Not impossible. I am going to see what comes of the investigation before I actually make any concrete decisions. Also interested to see if any more information comes out.

Jan 14, 2018
Maybe i haven't been explicit enough. I'm not mentioning Trump because his religious beliefs. I couldn't care less about those.
Then I really don't get what your point was? Care to clarify? You started out by talking about "closet atheist" and next you mention is Trump? Apart from Neil deGrasse Tyson not being closet about his atheism, what has any of this to do with orange man?

Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I have to admit, the “Native American handshake” reason he gives is fucking weird.

But, at the same time, like Evilore said, one of the accusers sounds like a loon and the other accounts sound, at worst, like an unwanted flirt.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To flirt or not to flirt?

This is bad for the species.

Dec 25, 2006
This rape accuser tho...

https://tchiya.wordpress.com/2014/1...austin-texas-1983-1984-the-blue-lotus-speaks/

End the Silence, End the Violence Chapter 6: Austin, Texas 1983-1984: I Survived RAPE by Neil de Grasse Tyson; The Blue Lotus Speaks!
Posted on October 8, 2014
Today is October 8, 2014. 30 years. Today there was an eclipse, during the Ra Aspolia Pi Cot Sahu (Full Moon and Portal of Djehuty (Sun in Sidereal Virgo, Moon in PIsces, Mercury Retrograde). Kinda intense when you really sit bak and take it all in. Tomorrow, Set (Mars, Ego) has an appointment with Master healer Imhotep (Mars enters Ophiuchus: tome for healing from sexual trauma, time for conquering lower nature, etc).
All this to say that this posting is in alignment with the Divine Natural Right Order. Although I know this is the right decision, it has been difficult to take action, because I know this monster is loved by so many of you. However, in order to maintain my own well being, peace of mind, sanity, longevity, positivity, peaceful relationships, health, happiness, self love and self trust, in order to elimnate blocks to my own abundance and prosperity, it has become impossible to keep silent anymore. I continue to wonder if he is still hurting women, children or men. It is also important for me to speak out NOW because it is important for ALL people that have been sexually violated in any way to stand up and speak out if we want this type of cruelty to cease.
END THE SILENCE, END THE VIOLENCE. THE BLUE LOTUS SPEAKS!

This is the video that came up next. This is the monster I have been protecting for 30 years. I no longer am afraid of the consequences of revealing this truth. Just think of me as Ammit: the Goddess that devours the hearts of the unrighteous at the Scale of Maat! I am leading hi to face death…. the death of his deception and illusion.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
His response certainly doesn’t seem unreasonable.

I honestly don’t pay much attention to concerns of “it made me feel”, unless the demands or threats are very direct. In a he said she said situation, one individual can say something that wouldn’t be taken as offensive or concerning to 99% (made up statistic :messenger_halo:) of people. But that 1% can and will.

It’s impossible to account for everyone.

That’s not saying he didn’t act creepy, we don’t know. But how you make someone feel can be on you and also not depending on what exactly happened.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
This is really depressing for me because I have always been a big fan of his. His interviews on the Daily Show and other outlets were always a treat. I want to really believe that the allegations aren't true because I do like the man, but once you see that its multiple women and that they have no real reason to lie it becomes very hard to do so.

Numbers don't matter. Let the police handle it. I could go to the street and pay 10 homeless people to say they all touched me. Without evidence and a court of law to judge it, allegations are BS.

Oct 6, 2018
Response from Tyson, posted on his facebook page:

On Being Accused

For a variety of reasons, most justified, some unjustified, men accused of sexual impropriety in today’s “me-too” climate are presumed to be guilty by the court of public opinion. Emotions bypass due-process, people choose sides, and the social media wars begin.

In any claim, evidence matters. Evidence always matters. But what happens when it’s just one person’s word against another’s, and the stories don’t agree? That’s when people tend to pass judgment on who is more credible than whom. And that’s when an impartial investigation can best serve the truth – and would have my full cooperation to do so.

I’ve recently been publically accused of sexual misconduct. These accusations have received a fair amount of press in the past forty-eight hours, unaccompanied by my reactions. In many cases, it’s not the media’s fault. I declined comment on the grounds that serious accusations should not be adjudicated in the press. But clearly I cannot continue to stay silent. So below I offer my account of each accusation.

The 2009 Incident

I am asked by thousands of people per year to take pictures with them. A flattering, time consuming, but delightful chore. As many in my fan-base can attest, I get almost giddy if I notice you’re wearing cosmic bling – clothing or jewelry or tattoos that portray the universe, either scientifically or artistically. And I make it a priority to point out these adornments for the photograph.

A colleague at a well attended, after-conference, social gathering came up to me to ask for a photograph. She was wearing a sleeveless dress with a tattooed solar system extending up her arm. And while I don’t explicitly remember searching for Pluto at the top of her shoulder, it is surely something I would have done in that situation. As we all know, I have professional history with the demotion of Pluto, which had occurred officially just three years earlier. So whether people include it or not in their tattoos is of great interest to me. I was reported to have “groped” her by searching “up her dress”, when this was simply a search under the covered part of her shoulder of the sleeveless dress.

I only just learned (nine years after) that she thought this behavior creepy. That was never my intent and I’m deeply sorry to have made her feel that way. Had I been told of her discomfort in the moment, I would have offered this same apology eagerly, and on the spot. In my mind’s eye, I’m a friendly and accessible guy, but going forward, I can surely be more sensitive to people’s personal space, even in the midst of my planetary enthusiasm.

Summer 2018 Incident

While filming this past summer, I had a (female) Production Assistant assigned to me, to ensure, among her countless tasks, that every ounce of my energy was efficiently allocated to the production needs of the show. As part of this, she was also my driver, to and from the studio, ensuring that I arrive on time. In the car we would review details of the shoot and she would help me anticipate parts of the shoot to come. Across the many weeks of shooting she and I spent upwards of a hundred hours in one-on-one conversation. We became so friendly that we talked about all manner of subjects, even social-personal ones, like the care of aging parents, sibling relationships, life in high school and college, hometown hobbies, race, gender, and so forth. We also discussed less-personal topics in abundance, like rock lyrics, favorite songs in various musical genres, concert experiences, etc. And we also talked about food – I’m kind of a foodie, and her fiancé was a chef. In short, we had a fun, talkative friendship.

She is a talented, warm and friendly person -- excellent traits for morale on a high pressure production. Practically everyone she knows on set gets a daily welcome-hug from her. I expressly rejected each hug offered frequently during the Production. But in its place I offered a handshake, and on a few occasions, clumsily declared, “If I hug you I might just want more.” My intent was to express restrained but genuine affection.

In the final week of shooting, with just a few days left, as a capstone of our friendship, I invited her to wine & cheese at my place upon dropping me off from work. No pressure. I serve wine & cheese often to visitors. And I even alerted her that others from the production were gathering elsewhere that evening, so she could just drop me off and head straight there or anywhere elsewhere. She freely chose to come by for wine & cheese and I was delighted. In the car, we had started a long conversation that could continue unabated. Production days are long. We arrived late, but she was on her way home two hours later.
Afterwards, she came into my office to told me she was creeped out by the wine & cheese evening. She viewed the invite as an attempt to seduce her, even though she sat across the wine & cheese table from me, and all conversation had been in the same vein as all other conversations we ever had.
Further, I never touched her until I shook her hand upon departure. On that occasion, I had offered a special handshake, one I learned from a Native elder on reservation land at the edge of the Grand Canyon. You extend your thumb forward during the handshake to feel the other person’s vital spirit energy -- the pulse. I’ve never forgotten that handshake, and I save it in appreciation of people with whom I’ve developed new friendships.

At that last meeting in my office, I apologized profusely. She accepted the apology. And I assured her that had I known she was uncomfortable, I would have apologized on the spot, ended the evening, and possibly reminded her of the other social gathering that she could attend. She nonetheless declared it her last day, with only a few days left of production.

I note that her final gesture to me was the offer of a hug, which I accepted as a parting friend.

Early 1980s

I entered astrophysics graduate school directly out of college in 1980. It’s a grueling adventure-marathon, and many people do not finish the PhD. In fact, it was not uncommon for half the admitted students to leave after two or three years, finding some other kind of work in their lives. While in graduate school I had several girlfriends, one of whom would become my wife of thirty years, a mathematical physicist -- we met in Relativity class. Over this time I had a brief relationship with a fellow astro-graduate student, from a more recent entering class. I remember being intimate only a few times, all at her apartment, but the chemistry wasn’t there. So the relationship faded quickly. There was nothing otherwise odd or unusual about this friendship.

I didn't see much of her after that time. Our student offices were on different floors of the building and we were not in the same classes. A few years later, I ran into her, pregnant, with who I think was the father by her side. That’s when I had learned that she dropped out of graduate school. Again, this is not itself an unusual fact, but I nonetheless wished her well in motherhood and in whatever career path would follow.

More than thirty years later, as my visibility-level took another jump, I read a freshly posted blog accusing me of drugging and raping a woman I did not recognize by either photo or name. Turned out to be the same person who I dated briefly in graduate school. She had changed her name and lived an entire life, married with children, before this accusation.

For me, what was most significant, was that in this new life, long after dropping out of astrophysics graduate school, she was posting videos of colored tuning forks endowed with vibrational therapeutic energy that she channels from the orbiting planets. As a scientist, I found this odd. Meanwhile, according to her blog posts, the drug and rape allegation comes from an assumption of what happened to her during a night that she cannot remember. It is as though a false memory had been implanted, which, because it never actually happened, had to be remembered as an evening she doesn’t remember. Nor does she remember waking up the next morning and going to the office. I kept a record of everything she posted, in case her stories morphed over time. So this is sad, which, for me, defies explanation.

I note that this allegation was used as a kind of solicitation-bait by at least one journalist to bring out of the woodwork anybody who had any encounter with me that left them uncomfortable.

Overview

I’m the accused, so why believe anything I say? Why believe me at all?

That brings us back to the value of an independent investigation, which FOX/NatGeo (the networks on which Cosmos and StarTalk air) announced that they will conduct. I welcome this.

Accusations can damage a reputation and a marriage. Sometimes irreversibly. I see myself as loving husband and as a public servant – a scientist and educator who serves at the will of the public. I am grateful for the support I’ve received from those who continue to respect and value me and my work.

Respectfully submitted, Neil deGrasse Tyson, New York City

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018
South Africa
The #metoo movement will cause that eventually men will want to have nothing to do with women at all, be it at work, personal life or any walks of life and women will have no one to blame but themselves. It does an injustice to women who have really been raped. For years now I refuse to be in a boardroom or office alone with a women and even in public places I will always make sure I am never alone or isolated with any women. Nor do I shake hands, hug or allow a woman to touch me. It works for me and it will work for anyone

Jun 25, 2015
Finland
Aug 26, 2018
Im sick of people being brought down just because someone says "oh he told me dirty things". Im pretty sure she has been told way worse while she was in high school. Also, show us proof...show us print screen of conversations. You got allegedly raped, wheres the proof, oh you waited 5 years to say it. I mean these things happen but I dont understand how can people keep losing their jobs thanks to these "victims" without a single proof. Unless the accused admits, enough of this bullshit.

Same with Kevin Spacey....so some kid that 20 years ago supposedly had Spacey lie on top of him for a few seconds and he ran out of the room, now this actor is taken off all movies and tv shows and publicly disgraced. Wheres the fucking proof of this now very gay guy accusing Spacey?

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
#BelieveAllWomen! /s

No, seriously you need to wait for actual evidence to come to light before making a judgement call like that.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Jun 25, 2018
Unknown Body, Proxima Centauri, 4th O.B.
#BelieveAllWomen! /s

No, seriously you need to wait for actual evidence to come to light before making a judgement call like that.
Tyson's story is overly lengthy and detailed though. I recall he has a photographic memory so that might be why, unless i am wrong?

Either way, i think part of the #metoo today is that, although it has brought a lot of more recognition for women's right worldwide, its more and more used to view people among us with negative assumptions. ''He/she (But usually a he) made this gesture'', which later becomes sexual harrassment.

I do not like this misuse of the movement.
  • Evidence should always be detrimental - and leading before judging.
  • Try to avoid making assumptions for the worst. A publically ushered assumption can and will ruin lives, and i feel the movement itself is highlighting this too little. The option to issue an accusation should carry weight, just as such that people who actually harrass and (possibly) rape/abuse others should carry theirs.
This is not me breaking a lance in support of those who are accused, nor is it an offense to those victims who fell upon the hands of the improper and misused. What it does say, though, is an opinion to, you know.. just assume a little good unto others. With a world moving at such a breakneck pace, we often forget what values and meaning are important to shape friendships, trusted bonds - and even our own destinies.

As such, i think nobody would die from unnatural causes if we all just. try. to. relax.

Even if its just for a little.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018
there have been rumblings floating around for years about this guy. people talk about waiting for evidence but that IS evidence. that said, im all for an investigation, we have a system in process to address this stuff.

as for his career, he really hasn't contributed much, aside from being a popular face of science PR. tbh i felt like the Cosmos reboot was too cynically political whereas Sagan's original had more humanity & poetry to it.

Last edited:

120v

Mar 14, 2013
Same with Kevin Spacey....so some kid that 20 years ago supposedly had Spacey lie on top of him for a few seconds and he ran out of the room, now this actor is taken off all movies and tv shows and publicly disgraced. Wheres the fucking proof of this now very gay guy accusing Spacey?
spacey's allegations were more numerous and sordid than that, to be fair

Feb 21, 2018
Response from Tyson, posted on his facebook page:
So the first one sounds like something innocent. Maybe a bit creepy but not really harassment if what he says is true. If he just looked at her shoulder. If he went for the boob then ya its too far, but if he was just looking at a tattoo that went from her arm to her shoulder I dont see this as sexual harrasment or assault.

The second one sounds like a guy trying to court a women, but did his best to have no pressure. I don't see anywhere that he tried to grope her or force sexual actions on to her. Actually sounds like a nice thing for a guy to do wine and cheese. The guy even didn't want to hug her because he knew it would be somewhat inappropriate and he had feels for her.

The third incident well I want receipts. Saying someone drug and raped you is a big accusation.

Lets see what the women can bring forward. I won't cast judgement and of course Tyson is going to spin it his way. Either way I believe NEITHER SIDE until evidence is presented.

Mar 19, 2015

I don't believe a single one of these accusations. Innocent until proven guilty.

Don't be silly! Women never lie! :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I have to admit, the “Native American handshake” reason he gives is fucking weird.

But, at the same time, like Evilore said, one of the accusers sounds like a loon and the other accounts sound, at worst, like an unwanted flirt.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To flirt or not to flirt?

This is bad for the species.
In the age where women want to be men (convenient timing seeing as it’s the most peaceful and prosperous time to ever be alive), I say they should also assume the responsibility of initiating intimacy and the necessity of learning how to handle the rejection that comes with it. Approaching someone you’re attracted to is no small feat for most men, especially the less attractive ones, and there’s a lot of risk that comes with it. Awkward behaviours are a natural result in many cases and it’s no surprise that women who have never had to learn how to handle rejection can’t empathize and want to demonise them as creepy.

Apr 25, 2009
Australia
The #metoo movement will cause that eventually men will want to have nothing to do with women at all, be it at work, personal life or any walks of life and women will have no one to blame but themselves. It does an injustice to women who have really been raped. For years now I refuse to be in a boardroom or office alone with a women and even in public places I will always make sure I am never alone or isolated with any women. Nor do I shake hands, hug or allow a woman to touch me. It works for me and it will work for anyone
My office is in a new building at my university and it adheres to all of the wanky modern open plan design philosophy. So, while I have four walls and a door, they're completely glass and there's no roof, so anyone outside can hear conversations that happen inside. It's the only thing I like about the open plan design because if I was in one of the older buildings with a solid door, there's no way in hell I would ever see a female student or colleague alone. I would always take the meeting to a communal area like the kitchen or somewhere outside.

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
Just a reminder, most of these type of cases the accusations are the evidence. It’s very seldom that there is a third party or physical evidence. Particularly with something that happened decades ago but even recent stuff, it’s really just one person against another, so then you have to look at credibility. Neither of these accusers are credible to me, so then it becomes a matter of more credible people coming forward, or multitudes of them like in the Cosby case.

Feb 21, 2018
Just a reminder, most of these type of cases the accusations are the evidence. It’s very seldom that there is a third party or physical evidence. Particularly with something that happened decades ago but even recent stuff, it’s really just one person against another, so then you have to look at credibility. Neither of these accusers are credible to me, so then it becomes a matter of more credible people coming forward, or multitudes of them like in the Cosby case.
But the accusers didn't bring any evidence to back up their allegations. The only one that could of involved anything that is considered harasment or assault would be the drugging and rape charge, which I need more than it happend 30 years ago as proof.

The other two just describe an awkward man. The tattoo one didn't say anything about harassment. Unless she comes out and say he grabbed her boobs all he did was check under her shoulder to see her tattoo. Maybe a bit creepy or socially awkward but not sexual assault.

The other one again just him trying to hit on a girl he found attractive. The worst thing he did according to her was get comfortable by wearing a tank top and putting on some slow jams. He never forced himself on her, and didn't even hug her rather opting for a handshake when she made it clear she didn't want to hook up.

As far as I know neither of them have accused Tyson of grabbing their lady parts, trying to force himself on them, or even use his power/fame over them.

If they come out and say that he did touch them or try to force them to have sex because of who he is I will change my stance. Like I mean even when the girl says no and the guy acts like a total gentlemen, accepts her no, passes up a hug for a handshake, he is still getting sexaul assault/harassment charges thrown his way.

Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
See, this is exactly what I was afraid of, that crazy people would try to piggyback off this movement for attention.

Actual victims are going to get hurt until we tell the obvious liars to fuck off.

Always take this in a case by case basis rather than a blanket "believe all women!" attitude, people can fuck off with that shit.

as for his career, he really hasn't contributed much, aside from being a popular face of science PR. tbh i felt like the Cosmos reboot was too cynically political whereas Sagan's original had more humanity & poetry to it.
I quite liked the Cosmos reboot and thought it handled things in an even handed way for the most part.

This is what I was saying, that there's gonna come a point where men are simply just going to leave women the hell alone and not have anything to do with them anymore and many women are gonna regret that.

On the flipside I think many of these so called feminists really do hate men and a world where they never have to interact with one again may be exactly what they're hoping for.

Oct 29, 2006
The issue here about the latest accusations are more about the power differential in both, not women being hysterical about unwanted advances. In the case of Katelyn Allers ("the tattoo one"), the encounter occurred at a party during a meeting of the American society of professional astronomers. There's easily a 15 year age/career difference between NDT and Dr. Allers, who I believe was looking for a permanent job at the time. What may even have been "playful teasing" by NDT was not so cool in the context of a professional gathering where Dr. Allers and NdT were not at the same footing. He was being really intimate towards a junior person he barely knew. In the case of Ashley Watson, I believe NdT was her employer. What happened between them sure seems like a seduction attempt, which is straight-up sexual harassment.

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
But the accusers didn't bring any evidence to back up their allegations. The only one that could of involved anything that is considered harasment or assault would be the drugging and rape charge, which I need more than it happend 30 years ago as proof.

The other two just describe an awkward man. The tattoo one didn't say anything about harassment. Unless she comes out and say he grabbed her boobs all he did was check under her shoulder to see her tattoo. Maybe a bit creepy or socially awkward but not sexual assault.

The other one again just him trying to hit on a girl he found attractive. The worst thing he did according to her was get comfortable by wearing a tank top and putting on some slow jams. He never forced himself on her, and didn't even hug her rather opting for a handshake when she made it clear she didn't want to hook up.

As far as I know neither of them have accused Tyson of grabbing their lady parts, trying to force himself on them, or even use his power/fame over them.

If they come out and say that he did touch them or try to force them to have sex because of who he is I will change my stance. Like I mean even when the girl says no and the guy acts like a total gentlemen, accepts her no, passes up a hug for a handshake, he is still getting sexaul assault/harassment charges thrown his way.
Well yeah I’m pretty much defending the guy. I mean as far as I know there’s just the one really wacky lady that is accusing of rape. The other stuff just seemed like spurned advances, I mean women flock to successful/powerful men so it seems like a sort of inevitable thing that someone will try to use it to their advantage, and that goes for the women as well. I think as just a regular person it’s hard to comprehend the stuff celebrities face in terms of temptation.

Feb 22, 2018
Cheap Allegations like this should never become news. If found to be false, the woman making the false claims (they probably false) should be sent to jail.

May 2, 2008
The issue here about the latest accusations are more about the power differential in both, not women being hysterical about unwanted advances. In the case of Katelyn Allers ("the tattoo one"), the encounter occurred at a party during a meeting of the American society of professional astronomers. There's easily a 15 year age/career difference between NDT and Dr. Allers, who I believe was looking for a permanent job at the time. What may even have been "playful teasing" by NDT was not so cool in the context of a professional gathering where Dr. Allers and NdT were not at the same footing. He was being really intimate towards a junior person he barely knew. In the case of Ashley Watson, I believe NdT was her employer. What happened between them sure seems like a seduction attempt, which is straight-up sexual harassment.
Yeah, I don't understand why people are ignoring that you shouldn't be making passes at women that you are responsible for in an official capacity. Workplace sexual harassment is easy to avoid.

The power dynamic is key to the complaint from the woman who worked for the Cosmos production company. NDT should not have put either of them in that position.

I have no idea what to make of the astrology lady.

Jan 26, 2018
South Africa
My office is in a new building at my university and it adheres to all of the wanky modern open plan design philosophy. So, while I have four walls and a door, they're completely glass and there's no roof, so anyone outside can hear conversations that happen inside. It's the only thing I like about the open plan design because if I was in one of the older buildings with a solid door, there's no way in hell I would ever see a female student or colleague alone. I would always take the meeting to a communal area like the kitchen or somewhere outside.
Very wise of you. Never be alone with a women where no one can see you at work.

Nov 16, 2013
AZ
I had a situation happen where I was blindsided by an accusation about unwanted advances. I had no intention of making a move or trying to pursue a relationship with this woman. HR got involved and I was told that I would be watched closely and couldn't talk to anyone about it including the accuser or it would be seen as retaliation. I felt like a victim. I had to continue to work with this person who acted like everything was great and fine between us but she knew that action was taken. I felt like my position at the company had been compromised and that I needed to look for a new job. It was a horrible experience. The accuser is no longer with the company as a result of being in over her head on a project she was assigned. She resigned when she was about to be put on a performance improvement plan. Even though she's gone and I've since been promoted, I feel like I will never be looked at the same and that's a real shame because I'm well paid and see a lot of opportunity at the company for me or at least I did. It's also made me paranoid about how I interact with female co-workers. I'm not saying Neil is innocent but I wanted to share how I felt and the damage it can do to a person who isn't the accuser and who feels like he was falsely accused.

Jul 8, 2016
I am in a relationship and harmlessly flirt with a lot of the women (shit, sometimes even the men) in work. We make innuendos and inappropriate jokes, I have worked with these women for years. I know there is a line where it can turn awkward and truly believe I do not cross it, nor do they. The thought that my banter could get me sacked (even though they play along and do the same with me) is messed up. Compliments and jokes get a good laugh going and makes everyone feel good in a stressful environment. The only ones who I could imagine complaining about this are the bitter staff with no life/friends/happiness with a jealousy ridden axe to grind.

Then again, I am not in America, we all have different humour and thankfully this crazy PC shit hasn't invaded us yet. I will continue to slap my legs and wink when someone walks in and loudly asks "so where do I sit?" (Edit: providing I know said person)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018
https://www.facebook.com/notes/neil-degrasse-tyson/on-being-accused/10156870826326613/

The guy is innocent, but from this link he does sound like the BIGGEST dork, EVER!

I expressly rejected each hug offered frequently during the Production. But in its place I offered a handshake, and on a few occasions, clumsily declared, “If I hug you I might just want more.” My intent was to express restrained but genuine affection.

I invited her to wine & cheese at my place upon dropping me off from work. No pressure. I serve wine & cheese often to visitors. And I even alerted her that others from the production were gathering elsewhere that evening, so she could just drop me off and head straight there or anywhere elsewhere. She freely chose to come by for wine & cheese and I was delighted.

Further, I never touched her until I shook her hand upon departure. On that occasion, I had offered a special handshake, one I learned from a Native elder on reservation land at the edge of the Grand Canyon. You extend your thumb forward during the handshake to feel the other person’s vital spirit energy -- the pulse. I’ve never forgotten that handshake, and I save it in appreciation of people with whom I’ve developed new friendships.

This is a married man with two children, ladies and gentlemen.

The dude sure did not misconducted the lady, but the dude for FUCKING SURE creeped the hell out of her.

Jun 17, 2004
USA
She was wearing a sleeveless dress with a tattooed solar system extending up her arm. And while I don’t explicitly remember searching for Pluto at the top of her shoulder, it is surely something I would have done in that situation.
This situation is so uniquely Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
An accusation is not evidence.

Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Yeah, I don't understand why people are ignoring that you shouldn't be making passes at women that you are responsible for in an official capacity. Workplace sexual harassment is easy to avoid.

The power dynamic is key to the complaint from the woman who worked for the Cosmos production company. NDT should not have put either of them in that position.

I have no idea what to make of the astrology lady.
The thing that gets overlooked in all discussions of power dynamics is that even an entry level administration assistant has a level of power over a CEO if she is attractive. It's easy to forget that we are all human, not robots, and while the onus is on the CEO to be aware of his own power and maintain his professionalism, we cannot pretend that an attractive woman is completely powerless, irrespective of position in the corporate hierarchy.