• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckman on the benefits of PS5's SSD

Naughty Dog VP, as well as Co-director and Co-writer of The Last of Us Part 2, Neil Druckmann went on the Talking Games podcast. When discussing the future of the studio, he said they were, of course, looking forward to working on the PS5. One of the big things is the new SSD technology, and how it will help the studio with one of the biggest things they often try to tackle in their games, the lack of loading. The lack of constraints that the SSD will have for loading in games in general he sees as exciting for what the studio often strives to do.

Seems like what most were expecting out of the SSD's. Faster loading and not some unicorn new revolutionary way of designing games.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This is also from Naughty Dog, it's going to help cut back on memory allocation while also providing more detail at the drop of a hat
VSiMxul.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
Naughty Dog VP, as well as Co-director and Co-writer of The Last of Us Part 2, Neil Druckmann went on the Talking Games podcast. When discussing the future of the studio, he said they were, of course, looking forward to working on the PS5. One of the big things is the new SSD technology, and how it will help the studio with one of the biggest things they often try to tackle in their games, the lack of loading. The lack of constraints that the SSD will have for loading in games in general he sees as exciting for what the studio often strives to do.

Seems like what most were expecting out of the SSD's. Faster loading and not some unicorn new revolutionary way of designing games.

What's the timestamp for when he talks about the SSD?

Kagey K

Banned
Hard disagree. It´s not just this thread. Look at all the other threads as well. Always the same. Political bullshit, sexism, and Cuckmann is all I see for the past 4-5 weeks. Every single TLOU2, Sony, ND, and yesterday even a god of war post are all full of this shit. It´s enough.
Oof. Welcome to the internet.

Try to have a decent conversation in a Xbox thread if you think this is rough.

Its easy to be the one making fun of stuff, less so when something you like is the butt of the joke.

Tomeru

I think the level of intelligence people have is pretty low when you understand that they think that loading in games means a bar that fills before you start playing.

I mean Im fucking sick of all the armchair experts that got their brand new diploma when this ssd thing started. The only expertise here is making up conclusions that they learn in armchair school.

Reading is only a recommendation, and research is not needed.

I hate being a gamer in 2020. I really do.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Almost all your posts are defending Druckman and TLOU2, and attacking people who have a problem with either of them. Maybe you should use some of your own advice on yourself. Dont be so serious. If you're finding loads of people against them, maybe there is a reason.
There's a reason alright. Which is now a 94 but still amazing scores for the 2020 GOTY :)

zUU2hnD.jpg

Stuart360

There's a reason alright. Which is now a 94 but still amazing scores for the 2020 GOTY :)

zUU2hnD.jpg
I love how some of you are so entrenched in console war mode, that the ONLY reason you can comprehend why someone would have a problem with TLOU2 is because of bloody console wars.
Besides i have watched plenty of streamers and Youtubers and seen their reviews of the game, and they have more credibility than 'professional' reviewers for me, these days at least.

Soodanim

Hard disagree. It´s not just this thread. Look at all the other threads as well. Always the same. Political bullshit, sexism, and Cuckmann is all I see for the past 4-5 weeks. Every single TLOU2, Sony, ND, and yesterday even a god of war post are all full of this shit. It´s enough.

Edit: you know it´s too much when a thread basically reads like The_donald on reddit. if some of you want to discuss politics I think you should look for a different place. This is not it
Agreed. Granted, this thread was at best pointless and at worst ND bait, but if you’re not one of the ones that is posting all the hate for ND/TLOU2 it gets very boring very quickly. People are quick to defend their right to shitpost, and even quicker to tell posters to go to Era if they don’t like it.

PSA: there’s an ignore feature, you could always use it until people get grow out of saying Cuckmann

Hobbygaming

I love how some of you are so entrenched in console war mode, that the ONLY reason you can comprehend why someone would have a problem with TLOU2 is because of bloody console wars.
Besides i have watched plenty of streamers and Youtubers and seen their reviews of the game, and they have more credibility than 'professional' reviewers for me, these days at least.
It's not hard to see the reason why some keep bringing up ND, Druckmann, etc. And the people doing it just so happen to have a preference for Xbox

Kagey K

Banned
Agreed. Granted, this thread was at best pointless and at worst ND bait, but if you’re not one of the ones that is posting all the hate for ND/TLOU2 it gets very boring very quickly. People are quick to defend their right to shitpost, and even quicker to tell posters to go to Era if they don’t like it.

PSA: there’s an ignore feature, you could always use it until people get grow out of saying Cuckmann

For the record I have very purposely stayed out of TLOU threads for that reason. I thought I would come into this one as it seemed obvious and fun.

Apparently we are in a no fun allowed zone now though.

It has to be all war all the time.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

That decreased loading times was the only benefit of the PS5's SSD that was mentioned doesn't mean that there won't be other benefits. For the linear and scripted games that Naughty Dog makes, decreased loading times would be the only benefit that would be relevant.

SkylineRKR

You know why i'm stoked for next-gen?

Because if this is all true, we're finally back at cartridge speeds of access. On 3D games and disc based games, this would be a first since 25 years. Ofcourse there were some outliers but general complex 3D environments always took their sweet time to load. That seems to be a thing of the past.

I think if it pans out like they claim this will make previous gen systems post SNES/64 feel incredibly archaic. You can say 'not a big jump here breh" when it comes to scale or even graphics. But the accessibility. Thats going to hurt if you load up Horizon or TW3 on PS4 after playing a Series X or PS5 game instantly.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
For new games the SSD will be amazing. The truth is though Last of Us Part 2 does its in game loading scenes so well it would be really hard to benefit from reduced load times. Like you wouldn't want parts of the level cut out that masked load times and the death restart option is super fast also.

Improvements would likely be cutscene character models, higher res and faster frame rate. Imagine they tweaked Abbys character model there would be outrage no matter what they did lol. Ideally a slight bit less muscle mass and a bump to the chest would make the game so much more immersive because you would be focusing on the beautifully crafted game world and not trying to internally solve if your playing as a man or a women lol. That been said it would be so politically sensitive to make adjustments it would never happen.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I’m tired of this loading times talk. He works for Sony’s biggest first party studio and loading times is the only thing he can think about on game design capabilities for the new hardware? So much for creativity.

Jon Neu

Banned
I’m tired of this loading times talk. He works for Sony’s biggest first party studio and loading times is the only thing he can think about on game design capabilities for the new hardware? So much for creativity.

Again, he did say it was going to help game design.

He said Naughty Dogs spends a lot of time designing it’s games around the fact that the game has to load without the player noticing it. He said it’s really a challenge.

That should be a thing of the past with the SSD and should liberate devs from constrictions and give them more time and freedom to focus on other things.

Rudius

PS4 games have a lot of hidden loading, Last of Us 2 included. All those squeeze through gaps, push blocked doors and slow walk parts are there to disguise loading. The SSD will change the way games are designed.

Edit: you know it´s too much when a thread basically reads like The_donald on reddit. if some of you want to discuss politics I think you should look for a different place. This is not it
Well I've spent the last 6 years being told games are inherently political. Now that's accepted, now I'm being told to separate the two. Which is it?

Top Bottom