• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann states Uncharted film script does NOT have the support of ND.

Fbh

It's going to suck so bad.

I love the Uncharted franchise. But take it out of the videogame format and it's basically a less good Indiana Jones.

Ridley327

US rating system is pretty messed up though, it has to be either R or PG, this movie belongs in the middle, many others are also victims of this like Deadpool is R in the US and MA 15+ in Australia.

Deadpool is in no way an R rated movie.

It's got swearing out the ass, a fair bit of violence and dismemberment and a pretty lengthy sex scene that has at least one fetish indulged. Maybe it's not a Tarantino film, but it's decidedly R-rated all the same.

US rating system is pretty messed up though, it has to be either R or PG, this movie belongs in the middle, many others are also victims of this like Deadpool is R in the US and MA 15+ in Australia.

Deadpool is the definition of an R rated movie.

The man exploding on a street sign alone makes Deadpool hard R.

What I mean is that seeking the approval of Amy Hennig and Nolan North, and seemingly getting it, bodes well for capturing 'Uncharted' in a script.

I agree. If he really ran it by them and they liked it I think that would be a pretty good sign.

I would have been confident in this movie if Druckmann worked on it or if Hennig was involved when she was still around Naughty Dog. But no ND involvement just sounds worrying.

Yeah, that would have been the best.

This is either going to be amazing or shit, probably nothing in between, if it actually happens.

bitbydeath

It's got swearing up the ass, a fair bit of violence and dismemberment and a pretty lengthy sex scene that has at least one fetish indulged. Maybe it's not a Tarantino film, but it's decidedly R-rated all the same.

No graphic sex scenes or anything horrific though. The movie is pretty tame for what R standards should be.

Joni

Sounds like Vandal Savage is overreacting. The dude clearly said he had only heard it so that already shows he didn't talk to them directly.

Fliesen

"No support" as in "they don't know shit about the film"
not as in "they know stuff about it which they dislike"

some people seem to be confusing the two.

Of course, even if the former is less damning, the film can still be a huge shitshow.

I love the Uncharted franchise. But take it out of the videogame format and it's basically a less good Indiana Jones.

Naughty Dog put a lot of effort to achieve a solid level of cinematic quality, like the point of the games was to be able to play through an Indiana Jones-like movie.

........................now they're just making a movie anyway

Yo dawg I heard you like serial adventure movies so we're gonna make a videogame based on those kinds of movies to make you feel like you're playing a movie but we're also gonna make a movie about the games that were made to be like movies

Where did he imply this? He literally says that he HEARD this.

This too. He doesn't really deserve any flack, he didn't imply they had ND or Druckmann's support, he literally said he heard people at ND liked the script and even went out of his way to say that the way he got to "hear it" meant that it might have been complete bullshit and not true (like Trump). He could have left that part out like most do when they want to imply they have support they don't or pretend they actually spoke.

I doubt the Uncharted movie will be even half as good as National Treasure, though...

Certainly possible. National Treasure was a lot of fun, wouldn't mind if it at least got to that level.

But yeah, it'll probably be shit though.

This seems weird to me. Like... Neil's quote even has the words "it may not be true at all" in it.

Writer: I heard they like it, but that might not be true, who knows, just what I heard.

Neil: I WISH HE'D STOP IMPLYING WE LIKE IT

Comes off as needlessly aggressive when he could just say "Whoever's told you that was wrong, nobody here has seen your script yet."

Seems like the whole thing is silly. The director didn't say anything that seems incorrect. Said he had heard ND liked it, but who really knows? He never talked to them. Druckmann goes out of his way to correct that with a fairly passive aggressive tone. Not really sure why it matters that much, to be honest.

The whole situation seems fairly innocuous. I'm more concerned with the batches of NeoGAF posters who can't seem to be able to see the first post of the thread. Seems like something the admins should fix before it affects more people.

Could someone clue me in on how they have the right to the movie without ND's involvement?

Sony owns Naughty Dog.

This seems weird to me. Like... Neil's quote even has the words "it may not be true at all" in it.

Writer: I heard they like it, but that might not be true, who knows, just what I heard.

Neil: I WISH HE'D STOP IMPLYING WE LIKE IT

Comes off as needlessly aggressive when he could just say "Whoever's told you that was wrong, nobody here has seen your script yet."

The problem was that it wasn't the first time it was implied to have their backing.

cheez124

so not only do they not have ND's support, but they're also going for an R rating, which would be completely against the more lighthearted tone of the games?

this is gonna be awful, lol. should've stayed in development hell forever

So it's going to be steaming hot trash.

It's not going to be steaming hot trash because ND isn't in the loop.

It's going to be steaming hot trash because it's being produced by Sony Pictures and the writer's take on the franchise seems questionable going by him constantly parading that it's rated SO R. So, so very R. Hard as fuck. Ham.

But even if he wrote a good script that did justice to the games, it'd still be steaming hot trash because Sony Pictures.

Septimius

Sony owns Naughty Dog.

Ah, right. I get that Sony then owns the right, but it's it just poor IP handling to not consult with the guys that actually know the franchise? Are we really still at that point where publishers are this frivolous with their rights? What harm can it do to have ND in the loop??

SephLuis

Going by what the writer said he shown the script to Henning and Nolan North and they liked it, but they aren't part of ND. Thus why he said he wasn't sure if ND got access to the script and if they liked it or not.

Druckmann seems unnecessarily aggressive, but that's just my impression of a single twitter.

I truly hope that the film is good.

Going by what the writer said he shown the script to Henning and Nolan North and they liked it, but they aren't part of ND. Thus why he said he wasn't sure if ND got access to the script and if they liked it or not.

Druckmann seems unnecessarily aggressive, but that's just my impression of a single twitter.

I truly hope that the film is good.

He never said that.

It's not going to be steaming hot trash because ND isn't in the loop.

It's going to be steaming hot trash because it's being produced by Sony Pictures and the writer's take on the franchise seems questionable going by him constantly parading that it's rated SO R. So, so very R. Hard as fuck. Ham.

But even if he wrote a good script that did justice to the games, it'd still be steaming hot trash because Sony Pictures.

yeah, but, it's gonna have so much cursing in it, man

Limited or no respect shown to the source or its creator is fairly standard for Hollywood. No reason why an exception would be made for Uncharted.

He never said that.

It's strongly implied in the text of the article you linked, it's in the portion you posted:

”The script went in, the script got huge, it got a big round of applause at Sony, they were very, very happy with it. So I don't know, we'll see what the casting comes out [as]. Shawn Levy was brilliant; we worked together for a couple months on it... There was a lot of pressure because I've got friends over there at Sony, Jonathan Kadin, obviously Tom Rothman and I go way back, Doug Belgrad—these are like my guys. So I felt an additional weight of like, ‘I gotta deliver them something they'll make.' It's got four of the most insane—I've never written crazier shit in terms of an action sequence than what's in that movie... I'm very happy with the script, and listen it was important that I got Amy Hennig's approval, her and Nolan North, and what I've heard is the Naughty Dog guys are really happy with it. But who knows? That could be like Donald Trump hearing something; that may not be true at all."

SephLuis

He never said that.

I might be reading a little too much in this sentence then:

"I’m very happy with the script, and listen it was important that I got Amy Hennig’s approval, her and Nolan North, "

The way I first interpreted it is that the script is complete and that he got the approval of both before showing it as a final version.

kpaadet

Seems like the whole thing is silly. The director didn't say anything that seems incorrect. Said he had heard ND liked it, but who really knows? He never talked to them. Druckmann goes out of his way to correct that with a fairly passive aggressive tone. Not really sure why it matters that much, to be honest.

The whole situation seems fairly innocuous. I'm more concerned with the batches of NeoGAF posters who can't seem to be able to see the first post of the thread. Seems like something the admins should fix before it affects more people.

Can't blame him I would do everything to distance myself from any Sony Pictures project as well.

Whompa02

Why not stop this bullshit and just share the script with the original creators?

Saying they haven't seen it causes controversy and clickbaity headlines.

Stiler

Druckman needs to relax, the guy said he only heard it and that it might not actually be true.

Hope they at least cast Drake/Sully right.

5rBri77.gif

PajFTBJ.gif

Darknight

This movie is gonna be trash, straight to VHS, aint it?

I feel Neil and co should have a say in the way its made. SIE shouldnt let their movie arm make a shit product. I feel that will damage the IP is some ways. Shit can the project and invest that money on its gaming division.

Sony Pictures sure are shit, but there are a lot of rumours around that studio.
The biggest ones are Sony selling the damn thing (they just wrote off a billion dollars...) or that Sony Pictures will be placed under the Sony Interactive Entertainment division (so that Andrew House will get an even bigger paycheck).

Making a good Uncharted movie seems impossible, it will take a 100+ million investment for a franchise that's not even that well known. The actors need to be top notch, the set pieces need to be huge and overall it would just seem like an Indiana Jones clone.
I would only trust the movie when ND is heavily involved. That's maybe happening when Sony Pictures falls under Andrew House and they just start it over from scratch.

Uncharted is such a personal favourite of mine, it would really really sting if Sony Pictures fucked it up and makes the franchise dead for anything other than gaming.

Top Bottom