• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann states Uncharted film script does NOT have the support of ND.

The problem was that it wasn't the first time it was implied to have their backing.

Ahhh ok, the only context I have is the tweet and the tweet he's quoting, so it seems super blown out of proportion. But if he's been saying it other places - and with more certainty than that quote - then yeah I can see reason to be like "Ssssshhhhhhut upppppp"

I just saw this on my Twitter feed but apparently the writer for the upcoming "Uncharted" film was giving an interview and implied that the script had the support of Naughty Dog.

Joe Carnahan and Frank Grillo Talk ‘Uncharted’

Now, Neil Druckmann has been adamant before that he knows nothing about the movie, hasn't seen any script for the movie, nor was he or anyone else at ND consulted about the movie. After this recent interview he responded once more:

wJt3DvJ.jpg

Have my ladder break under my weight if old.

"Ive heard they like it, thought that might not be true" isn't really implying anything.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
it was important that I got Amy Hennig’s approval, her and Nolan North

This is far more important than what Druckmann thinks about it.

Not that I expect it to be any good, but still. I'll worry about what Druckmann thinks when they make a Last of Us movie.

a916

It's going to suck so bad.

I love the Uncharted franchise. But take it out of the videogame format and it's basically a less good Indiana Jones.

Or... I don't know... you take it and elevate it above Indiana Jones in the right hands? A couple of those movies haven't held up well at all

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Sony Pictures sure are shit, but there are a lot of rumours around that studio.
The biggest ones are Sony selling the damn thing (they just wrote off a billion dollars...) or that Sony Pictures will be placed under the Sony Interactive Entertainment division (so that Andrew House will get an even bigger paycheck).

Making a good Uncharted movie seems impossible, it will take a 100+ million investment for a franchise that's not even that well known. The actors need to be top notch, the set pieces need to be huge and overall it would just seem like an Indiana Jones clone.
I would only trust the movie when ND is heavily involved. That's maybe happening when Sony Pictures falls under Andrew House and they just start it over from scratch.

Uncharted is such a personal favourite of mine, it would really really sting if Sony Pictures fucked it up and makes the franchise dead for anything other than gaming.

A franchise coming off a game that sold 8 million copies in a year isn't well known. Lol.

Sony Pictures sure are shit, but there are a lot of rumours around that studio.
The biggest ones are Sony selling the damn thing (they just wrote off a billion dollars...) or that Sony Pictures will be placed under the Sony Interactive Entertainment division (so that Andrew House will get an even bigger paycheck).

Making a good Uncharted movie seems impossible, it will take a 100+ million investment for a franchise that's not even that well known. The actors need to be top notch, the set pieces need to be huge and overall it would just seem like an Indiana Jones clone.
I would only trust the movie when ND is heavily involved. That's maybe happening when Sony Pictures falls under Andrew House and they just start it over from scratch.

Uncharted is such a personal favourite of mine, it would really really sting if Sony Pictures fucked it up and makes the franchise dead for anything other than gaming.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

- Sony has already denied movie studio is for sale
- the write down was 962 million which was non-cash
- uncharted not well known ?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Tripolygon

Banned
This is far more important than what Druckmann thinks about it.

Not that I expect it to be any good, but still. I'll worry about what Druckmann thinks when they make a Last of Us movie.
Ok this is silly.

Druckmann co-wrote Uncharted 1 and 2, then went on to write the Last of Us and then came back to co-write Uncharted 4 (after Amy left) with Josh Scherr who has been there since Uncharted 1.

So yes it is important to get his opinion as well as the developers of the games. You don't have to take their input, but pay some respect.
Neil Druckmann sounds overly sensitive.
Like wtf is this, is it a crime now to be sensitive?

test_account

XP-39C²
Why are people acting that this affects the movie? All that the topic says is that Naughty Dog hasnt read the script. That says nothing about the movie itself.

The plot thickens.

I like Carnahan movies but we know how this will end up

A thing I don't like is how childish Carnahan is on twitter.

Caode

I think that, it’s gonna need to be something that exceeds the sum of its parts, you know what I’m saying? It just doesn’t function as a straight lift of the video game. I sat down with Amy [Hening, director of Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune] and sat down with [Drake voice actor] Nolan North and sat down with Neil [Druckmann, writer of Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune], who created this thing, and took them through what I was doing and what I was thinking of and they loved it. She loved it. She understands too that you can’t be so slavish and devoted to the source material. They could’ve just altered certain things about Watchmen, Zack Snyder’s film. I thought it was so much better than what it was–and I really enjoyed it–I thought God, there’s some really great movie in there that I felt got held back because we gotta check these boxes or these fans are gonna get on our ass. And I’m a big believer that the fanboy element or the fan lobbies are massively overrepresented in Hollywood and don’t have nearly the lobbying power that we think they do.

I think this is where it all starts - Carnahan has made claims in the past regarding this project that just weren't true.

Ascenion

They might be able to do better than Druckmann though so I'm not worried.

In what respect? In terms of screenplay? Absolutely. Druckmann has no screenwriting credits that I'm aware of, and the only film he's writing is stuck in development hell because of him. Hennig has the only opinion that matters. She understands the spirit of Uncharted since it's her baby. Not to mention as good as Uncharted 4 was, Druckmann in my opinion probably doesn't have the chops for a straight action movie. It's just not his style.

Head.spawn

I just saw this on my Twitter feed but apparently the writer for the upcoming "Uncharted" film was giving an interview and implied that the script had the support of Naughty Dog.

Joe Carnahan and Frank Grillo Talk ‘Uncharted’

Now, Neil Druckmann has been adamant before that he knows nothing about the movie, hasn't seen any script for the movie, nor was he or anyone else at ND consulted about the movie. After this recent interview he responded once more:

wJt3DvJ.jpg

Have my ladder break under my weight if old.

It looks to me like he's implying that a 3rd party told him ND was okay with the script and nothing more... seems to me he's probably upset that the writer contacted Amy Hennig instead of him.

������������������������

- Sony has already denied movie studio is for sale
- the write down was 962 million which was non-cash
- uncharted not well known ?

������������������������

Sony can't do anything other than denying. Just like they denied working with Marvel for Spiderman. The outlets who reported the rumours are also credible. A report by the way who also suggested that Lynton was on his way out and another article around that time was talking about some potential buyers I forgot and some banks who prepared Sony for the sale/transition. Why do you think that Kaz is now taking over Lynton's job?
There's something big happening with Sony Pictures, that's what every source is saying. But of course, you can believe Kaz.

The write off can also indicates that something big is in the works.

And yes, Uncharted is not a well-known franchise if you talk about the movie-going audience.

A lot of smilies also makes a post look weird, especially on a subject like this one, where there isn't a clear proven answer.

The Ummah

Banned
Druckmann's going to strike again.
1916239_1.jpg

Druckmann or Seth Rollins, can't tell.

This doesn't bode well for the film at all. You would think they would be in contact throughout the process, but it seems like this is unauthorized. How much faith can we really put into the film if they aren't involving (some of) the creators in the writing? Really weird.

Damn, no reason to go at him like that
He said he "heard" and quickly followed it up with a sentence that can be translated to "that's possibly not true but who knows"

Get mad at the people telling him this, damn

Damn, no reason to go at him like that
He said he "heard" and quickly followed it up with a sentence that can be translated to "that's possibly not true but who knows"

Get mad at the people telling him this, damn

As I said, it's not the first time Carnahan has suggested that Neil has seen or approved of the script. Previously he actually stated that he sat down with Neil and showed him the script and what he was planning on doing. Druckmann responded way back then that he's never met Carnahan nor seen any script. He's obviously more annoyed that his, and ND's name, keeps getting mentioned with regards to the movie when they've had nothing to do with it.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-movie-has-anti-indiana-jones-feel-to-it-/1100-6445007/

Gamespot said:
"I sat down with [Uncharted director Amy Hennig] and sat down with [Drake voice actor Nolan North] and sat down with [Uncharted writer and director Neil Druckmann], who created this thing, and took them through what I was doing and what I was thinking of and they loved it," Carnahan said.

Tripolygon

Banned
In what respect? In terms of screenplay? Absolutely. Druckmann has no screenwriting credits that I'm aware of, and the only film he's writing is stuck in development hell because of him. Hennig has the only opinion that matters. She understands the spirit of Uncharted since it's her baby. Not to mention as good as Uncharted 4 was, Druckmann in my opinion probably doesn't have the chops for a straight action movie. It's just not his style.
And again, Druckmann co-wrote the uncharted games except for 3 because he was busy with the last of Us.

pr0cs

Not a surprising opinion from a well known uncharted 4 hater. But I disagree, uncharted 4 has the more grounded story of the 4 games (not counting vita).
I didn't know that I was well known, it's not even my birthday...!

If you mean grounded = uninspired and trope centric then I totally agree.

Uc 4 had the worst story of the entire series

Illucio

Banned
The fact they keep saying Naughty Dog has their approval even though ND hasn't seen it yet. I would assume they are trying to trick fans and news media to assume the movie will be good.

Tripolygon

Banned
I didn't know that I was well known, it's not even my birthday...!

If you mean grounded = uninspired and trope centric then I totally agree.

Uc 4 had the worst story of the entire series
So like all the other uncharted games and every piece of media ever written? They all rely on familiar tropes.

Try and be more specific, saying it is uninspired is not a well thought-out argument.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Kaz will make it right, he's personally running the studio in the US. Can't wait for the Ridge Racer movie!

Pfftwhaahaha, Kaz was involved in Amazing Spider-Man 2 and that movie stank so badly that it's the worse preforming Spider-Man that Sony has ever produced.

There's a reason why Sony jumped in bed with Marvel to bring Spider-Man into the MCU.

Deadpool is the definition of an R rated movie.

It really isn't as Deadpool was given a rating of 15 in the UK with zero cuts, 18 is our R rating.

messiaen

That's strange, nobody at ND has read the script to Indian Jones?

Seriously though, that's kind of an asshole move on both their accounts.

Top Bottom