• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann states Uncharted film script does NOT have the support of ND.

I just saw this on my Twitter feed but apparently the writer for the upcoming "Uncharted" film was giving an interview and implied that the script had the support of Naughty Dog.

Joe Carnahan and Frank Grillo Talk ‘Uncharted'
Joe Carnahan said:
”The script went in, the script got huge, it got a big round of applause at Sony, they were very, very happy with it. So I don't know, we'll see what the casting comes out [as]. Shawn Levy was brilliant; we worked together for a couple months on it... There was a lot of pressure because I've got friends over there at Sony, Jonathan Kadin, obviously Tom Rothman and I go way back, Doug Belgrad—these are like my guys. So I felt an additional weight of like, ‘I gotta deliver them something they'll make.' It's got four of the most insane—I've never written crazier shit in terms of an action sequence than what's in that movie... I'm very happy with the script, and listen it was important that I got Amy Hennig's approval, her and Nolan North, and what I've heard is the Naughty Dog guys are really happy with it. But who knows? That could be like Donald Trump hearing something; that may not be true at all."

Now, Neil Druckmann has been adamant before that he knows nothing about the movie, hasn't seen any script for the movie, nor was he or anyone else at ND consulted about the movie. After this recent interview he responded once more:

wJt3DvJ.jpg

Have my ladder break under my weight if old.

EDIT:

To add further clarity, this is not the first time Carnahan has suggested that Neil or Naughty Dog were involved in the movie's production.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-movie-has-anti-indiana-jones-feel-to-it-/1100-6445007/

Gamespot said:
"I sat down with [Uncharted director Amy Hennig] and sat down with [Drake voice actor Nolan North] and sat down with [Uncharted writer and director Neil Druckmann], who created this thing, and took them through what I was doing and what I was thinking of and they loved it," Carnahan said.

Back then Druckmann responded:
SvBsomx.jpg

Dantis

I mean, if he has Amy Hennig's approval, surely that has way more value to it than Druckmann's anyway, right?

Hmmm...seems like a non story honestly, the guy said "he heard ND like it" obviously he heard wrong, which he implied he might be.

What's the discussion here?

luulubuu

I just saw this on my Twitter feed but apparently the writer for the upcoming "Uncharted" film was giving an interview and implied that the script had the support of Naughty Dog.

Joe Carnahan and Frank Grillo Talk ‘Uncharted’

Now, Neil Druckmann has been adamant before that he knows nothing about the movie, hasn't seen any script for the movie, nor was he or anyone else at ND consulted about the movie. After this recent interview he responded once more:

wJt3DvJ.jpg

Have my ladder break under my weight if old.

Where's the HELL YES now, Gamespot.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Did anyone want an Uncharted movie?

They already have 4.

I kid. But I don't know what a movie adaptation has to offer. It's not like we haven't had a series of movies based on a wise-cracking artefact hunter...

HardRojo

Druckmann sounds mad.
And yeah lol, you can already watch Uncharted movies if you want, some good people have edited the games nicely on YouTube.

I mean, if he has Amy Hennig's approval, surely that has way more value to it than Druckmann's anyway, right?

Should we even believe he has Amy Hennig's approval though? What he's pitching doesn't even sound much like Uncharted (hard R? What in the holy shit...?).

Massa

It's quite funny seeing him get mad about this after literally taking over a game from the franchise creator.

JP

Do you know what would settle this? A sword duel between Neil Druckmann and Joe Carnahan, while floating on the burning wreckage of Sony Pictures.

TissueBox

Should we even believe he has Amy Hennig's approval though? What he's pitching doesn't even sound much like Uncharted (hard R? What in the holy shit...?).

They met up to talk about it I think...in fact I think Hennig has more of a hand in this than anything. Who'd think she wouldn't mind going with dat R though if that's the case lol!

bitbydeath

US rating system is pretty messed up though, it has to be either R or PG, this movie belongs in the middle, many others are also victims of this like Deadpool is R in the US and MA 15+ in Australia.

Deadpool is in no way an R rated movie.

Alienous

We have no idea what this means, it could simply mean that he ran his initial ideas past Amy. It doesn't mean she read the script.

What I mean is that seeking the approval of Amy Hennig and Nolan North, and seemingly getting it, bodes well for capturing 'Uncharted' in a script.

Unfortunate. Wonder if the script is even worse than that trash screenplay that got leaked out of Sony a few years ago when they got hacked.

I would have been confident in this movie if Druckmann worked on it or if Hennig was involved when she was still around Naughty Dog. But no ND involvement just sounds worrying.

jediyoshi

Weird way to phrase that, there's a difference between them actively not supporting something, and there being a lack of support by virtue of not knowing anything.

Top Bottom