• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neill Blomkamp's Chappie (2015, Hugh Jackman, Sharlto Copley, Die Antwoord)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
Really enjoyed it, watched it last night. I do believe this is the same universe as D9. I'm watching that right now and something stuck out to me in a scene:

Tetravaal!

Both District 9 and Chappie are based on concepts Blomkamp and his wife came up with as short films before he started directing movies. The original concept for Chappie (and the name of the company) comes from his 2004 short Tetra Vaal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnxP7e7-YA

So yeah, I think it's a loose sort of "universe" they've been playing around with for years.
Sorta want a Blomkamp Cinematic Universe now...

Toa TAK

Banned
The problem with Prometheus was that instead of embracing it's Alien roots, Scott seemed embarassed by its legacy and it made for a lesser film.
I can't blame him for that, though. A3, Resurrection, AVP, AVP:R, I would distance myself from that, too. Even Blomkamp is doing it.

Denzar

Saw it last week and found it extremely dull and quite empty. I adore D9 and found Elysium to be very, very entertaining.

Chappie came across as a stretched out Die Antwoord video clip combined with a Sony commercial. There were hints of a more thought out movie in there during certain scenes, but the constant, blatant product placement and the horrid performances by Die Antwoord combined with a paperthin script made me cringe more than I enjoyed myself.
What the fuck was Sigourney Weaver doing in this movie, except for cashing in? She's got, like, 5 lines total. And let's not talk about Hugh Jackman's character. The guy was given fuck all to work with. Terrible dialogue and very little convincing motive.
Sharlto Copley was great as Chappie though. A pretty emotional performance brought down by terrible writing. (Gotta say, Die Antwoord's music, and even more so, attitude just don't jive with me, so this last remark might be a tad too personal to objectively judge Copley's performance. )

Loved watching Yolandi, no thanks to her acting, but she's just a very pretty lady.

Ohyeah, the ending made me want to throw my boot at the screen. What. The. Fuck.

Please Blomkamp, you are a very talented individual, don't fuck up your Alien project.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
combined with a Sony commercial

chappiecsz1q.jpg

Chappie can play game?

Chappie play Knack?

Sanjuro

Saw it the other night. What a absolute mess of an entertaining film.

He basically ripped off Short Circuit 2 and the new Robocop, so producers went with it.

duckroll

Chappie only cost 1/3 what Elysium did, and it's still going to have trouble making that back domestically. Kinda shocking how toxic the performance is. Wonder how nervous Fox is now... :p

Koodo

Banned
Saw this yesterday and enjoyed it. Granted, I went in with expectations below sea level.

Nowhere near District 9, but much better than Elysium - mostly because of Chappie.

Sanjuro

Chappie only cost 1/3 what Elysium did, and it's still going to have trouble making that back domestically. Kinda shocking how toxic the performance is. Wonder how nervous Fox is now... :p

I skipped Elysium, but I feel like I REALLY need to watch it now to balance the productions. The drop from District to this was shocking.

I also remember joking about the Short Circuit 2 references in the trailers well before seeing this. Neil straight up thought nobody would remember that film.

jett

D-Member
Slut, why you steal daddy's $$$?

But... I wanted to be a real boy! The Blue Fairy promised and everything.

p.s. Elysium is an extremely dull movie. Chappie at least has... Chappie.

Well Alienses still hasn't been greenlit. I really wonder what's Fox's big idea here. To me it seems Aliens: Geriatric Boogaloo will be a sort of "director's ultimate fanboy wetdream", like Peter Jackson's King Kong. Who wants that, man. Who wants 60 year-old Ripley and Hicks.

Sanjuro

Well Alienses still hasn't been greenlit. I really wonder what's Fox's big idea here.

I'm going to watch Elysium probably today.

Chappie is the source of any and all entertainment from this film. He isn't real, and it's easy to sucker emotions from an audience. Every human character in Chappie was either unlikable or unrealistic.

Sigourney especially stuck out. Realistic tech company boss for healthy portion of the film, not much to do, then...FUCK YOU TAKE YOUR BIG ASS ED209 AND BURN CHAPPIE TO ASH!

PopFisto

Banned
What makes Chappie impossible to enjoy, for me at least, is how bloody annoying Chappie and Die Antwood are. Not much fun watching a spastic robot act like a baby the whole movie, with two horrid non actors in tow.

Pretty much none of the other stuff bothered me. It's poorly written like even ds9, but it worked, ds9 that is, anyway. Baller last action scene.

Toa TAK

Banned
Why did Blomkamp want AD in the film anyways? I guess I'm not upset they're in there, just that they were characterized as such asswipes in the film.

You don't really learn to love Chappie on his own, or really connect with him, you pity the shit out of him because he's an innocent being surrounded by these horrid people.

Deadstar

Well Alienses still hasn't been greenlit. I really wonder what's Fox's big idea here. To me it seems Aliens: Geriatric Boogaloo will be a sort of "director's ultimate fanboy wetdream", like Peter Jackson's King Kong. Who wants that, man. Who wants 60 year-old Ripley and Hicks.

Chappie made money worldwide. Check boxofficemojo. It made about 22 million over budget.

Also regarding Chappie being annoying. Chappie is essentially a child because he comes into the world knowing nothing. If someone thinks Chappie is annoying then I'm sure they think a lot of little kids are annoying. I found Chappie to be awesome by the end of the movie, he's starting to understand things about the world. That people do horrible things, that people lie. He's learning it all and dishes out some punishment but still has mercy.

jett

D-Member
Chappie made money worldwide. Check boxofficemojo. It made about 22 million over budget.

Also regarding Chappie being annoying. Chappie is essentially a child because he comes into the world knowing nothing. If someone thinks Chappie is annoying then I'm sure they think a lot of little kids are annoying. I found Chappie to be awesome by the end of the movie, he's starting to understand things about the world. That people do horrible things, that people lie. He's learning it all and dishes out some punishment but still has mercy.

Studios only get a portion of the gross.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'm late but just watched this. I don't get the hate.
Would of been cool to see the whole crew become robots, including amerika and ninja. and form some robot gangster squad that now fights for good because of chappie, deon and yolandi
Product placement was a bit much, but every sony movie and tv show is like that. Die antwoord would of been a better title.

I actually enjoyed it over ex machina, which put me to sleep.

Vorg

Banned
I watched this today and God were die antwoord annoying as shit. Such horrible acting and writing. Even chappie himself is an incredibly annoying character. At least the special effects were pretty good.

Schrade

I watched this today and God were die antwoord annoying as shit. Such horrible acting and writing. Even chappie himself is an incredibly annoying character. At least the special effects were pretty good.

Totally agree. I was getting Jar Jar Binks vibes from Chappie. It was stupid having Die Antwoord "acting" with their music playing in the background. That was pretty lame.

sarcastor

I watched this today and God were die antwoord annoying as shit. Such horrible acting and writing. Even chappie himself is an incredibly .annoying character.

They are literally the worse people/characters ever. Annoying in every way. Like white trash meets juggalos meets soccer hooligans or something. Also the movie is pretty boring.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, I have to say I wish I didn't listen to the hate when it was in theaters because I would have loved to see it.

Neill, you haven't failed me yet with a movie (haven't seen elysium but I will soon)

Liamario

Banned
I enjoyed the concept of the movie, but the casting was abysmal except for Jackman and Weaver. Die antwoord were exceptionally hateable. I don't know what Blomkamp is thinking lately. He has an immense talent (and I still believe that), but somewhere along the line, decisions like casting Die antwoord were made and he needs to find and correct the source of the problem.

He certainly needs a little professional guidance from a good producer.

Neill, you haven't failed me yet with a movie (haven't seen elysium but I will soon)

Elysium is a solid movie. Not as good as district 9, but it certainly doesn't deserve the negative reaction it got from some people.

Vorg

Banned
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, I have to say I wish I didn't listen to the hate when it was in theaters because I would have loved to see it.

Elysium is a much better movie.

LosDaddie

Banned
D9 was ok at best. Nothing great. Elysium was better, but beat you over the head with its social justice message. Enjoyable rentals, nothing more.

I'm getting Chappie from Netflix in today. I hope it's entertaining.

Zombine

Banned
The film had a lot of highs and quite a few lows which resulted in an "average" Sci-Fi flick. I still love the Neill's South African playground for his films, and I loved Huge Jackedman's glorious mullet and his
boss battle
at the end.

I found it charming and very entertaining. Also like some of the, at time jarring, action.
I also didn't hate Die Antwoord's casting, but I totally understand how it could grate.
It does have some wacky pacing throughout, though. Also, the end I felt was one of Blomkamp's weakest.

lednerg

I was expecting it to be horrible based on the RT score, but I found it to be entirely enjoyable and even moving. I probably should have guessed that would be the case, knowing how Elysium seemed to really anger some people. These films are allegories, they're not to be taken literally. District 9 is about apartheid, Elysium is about wealth inequality, and Chappie is about child soldiers. Regarding Elysium, people hated it for demonizing the wealthy, but all you have to do is look at the life expectancies among the social classes around the world to see the obvious problem the film addresses.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I went in not knowing what to expect and having not liked the director's previous work. I ended up liking this a lot more than District 9 or Elysium. I thought Ninja and Yolandi were good in their roles. I had no idea who they were prior to the film.

There were a lot of flaws but I was able to look past most of them. The film is kind of an odd mix of old tropes but still manages to entertain. I think it managed to hold my interest because it was weird but not too weird, if that makes sense.

Circinus

I saw this film a couple of days ago.

It was all right. Two things that I thought were bad:

- Ending is nonsensical (transferring human consciousness on a USB flash drive and putting into a robot...)

- Hugh Jackman's character's motivations are ridiculous

Overall, it was pretty enjoyable. I liked Chappie. I thought the Die Antwoord duo did a decent job with the acting (not really a fan of their style of music though).

I'm inclined to say it was better than Elysium. Haven't watched District 9 yet.

420bits

I saw this film a couple of days ago.

It was all right. Two things that I thought were bad:

- Ending is nonsensical (transferring human consciousness on a USB flash drive and putting into a robot...)

- Hugh Jackman's character's motivations are ridiculous

Overall, it was pretty enjoyable. I liked Chappie. I thought the Die Antwoord duo did a decent job with the acting (not really a fan of their style of music though).

I'm inclined to say it was better than Elysium. Haven't watched District 9 yet.

District 9 is the best one, Chappie 2nd place and Elysium last. So you should watch it whenever possible.

I just watched this today. Or rather, finished watching it, because the missus and I were so disgusted by how bad it is that we just stopped midway and keep putting off watching the second half until today.

After loving District 9, and finding Elysium quite entertaining, it's simply hard to believe that this came from the same director. The most infuriating thing about the film is that at some point you even stop laughing at plot holes and ridiculous actions by characters because they compose the entire fabric of the movie. This is easily the worst movie I've watched since Independence Day, and perhaps even worse. For sure the worst I've watched for the last ten years.

What an incredible display of crashing and burning one's career, though. Shyamalan would be envious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom