• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Rodin

Looking on the eshop and fugging TURF MASTERS is available!? such an amazing golf game i'm really REALLY tempted.

I was just coming into this thread to sing the praises for this game.

It fits PERFECT on the switch. The Joy-cons are already a great fit for a neo geo controller but playing this outside with my buddy in tabletop mode was a blast.

Music is fucking killer as well.

Never played Turf Masters back in the day... Its freaking great!

Wow! Totally loving it.

Neo Turf Masters is secretly one of the best arcade games ever made.

ON THE GREEEEEENNNNN!
Why are you doing this to me

Hmm, maybe El Gato's software isn't capturing the native frame like I thought? I tried everything I could throw at it including checking from 132-134 and still getting noise. The scanlines add so much blur it is difficult to tell where one pixel ends and the next begins, but you can still make out some of the noise in the worst cases like the cheek and white borders.

Looking at the same ranges on TV it is definitely not as pronounced as below. I do still see the extreme cases though. Maybe it is relying on the displays scaler rather than doing it on the Switch so we are seeing some variance? Not entirely sure.

ACA Neo Geo - 1080p, Size: 132
jR5caoe.png

ACA Neo Geo - 1080p, Size: 133
CZu0UlN.png

ACA Neo Geo - 1080p, Size: 134
Hgel71K.png

ACA Neo Geo - 1080p, Size: 132, SL: A5
PkmxPpr.png

ACA Neo Geo - 1080p, Size: 133, SL: A5
tCNOvB5.png

ACA Neo Geo - 1080p, Size: 134, SL: A5
PmQoZJ6.png

cireza

Banned
sure but it actually uses some filter outside only scanlines, for A filter, B filter has a stripe of darkened area going up, just like when you record CRT footage on a video camera, and have 5 different strength of scanline, it does blur in both filters
Thank you, that's very informative (at least for me) :)

Your pictures don't look bad at all. That's strange, because when looking at the Xbox One version, there were some pretty obvious problems happening with scanlines at ratio 133.

Can be seen on my friend's video here :
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/shalade/video/27426445
This doesn't happen on Switch ?

@SmiteOfHand : your pictures don't look too hot however lol.

El Sabroso

Hmm, maybe El Gato's software isn't capturing the native frame like I thought? I tried everything I could throw at it including checking from 132-134 and still getting noise. The scanlines add so much blur it is difficult to tell where one pixel ends and the next begins, but you can still make out some of the noise in the worst cases like the cheek and white borders.

Looking at the same ranges on TV it is definitely not as pronounced as below. I do still see the extreme cases though. Maybe it is relying on the displays scaler rather than doing it on the Switch so we are seeing some variance? Not entirely sure.

ACA Neo Geo - 1080p, Size: 132
jR5caoe.png

ACA Neo Geo - 1080p, Size: 133
CZu0UlN.png

ACA Neo Geo - 1080p, Size: 134
Hgel71K.png

ACA Neo Geo - 1080p, Size: 132, SL: A5
PkmxPpr.png

ACA Neo Geo - 1080p, Size: 133, SL: A5
tCNOvB5.png

ACA Neo Geo - 1080p, Size: 134, SL: A5
PmQoZJ6.png

it might be because the ratio for 100 represents something like 99.99~%, take a pic for 100 and in paint count the pixels is gonna be a x3 resolution of the NeoGeo res, which should be a third of that to get x1 res and thus 33.33~%, not an exact number, and since we get no decimals or something, we fail to get the exact ratio to look for 4x res, 133 and 134 get closer to that ratio (ideal 133.33~), 133 worked better for my monitor as shown in my pictures, capture software is making almost the same as in mine, actually is not as pronounced in your end as I see but

Thank you, that's very informative (at least for me) :)

Your pictures don't look bad at all. That's strange, because when looking at the Xbox One version, there were some pretty obvious problems happening with scanlines at ratio 133.

Can be seen on my friends video here :
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/shalade/video/27426445

not 100% percent sure about this but, when he gets to 150 ratio looks better than other ratios, that should mean that Xbox One version is getting 720p res and being upscaled by the XB1 to 1080p, in Switch, the emulator actually changes native res to the one used by the Switch and the switch does not upscale from there, that is just my guess

So this thread made me realize the cleanest ratio at 1080p is strangely 134. Look at the life bar: it is the only ratio where the pixels are perfectly even on the false transparency effect used for the empty part of the bar.

I switched my ratio setting from 132 to 134 and sure enough I can't spot any scanlines artifacts anymore.

Now they need to patch the sound delay.

Memory

I hope we start getting more than one drop a week, the PS4 and X1 releases are coming at a fast pace but i'd much rather have them portable.

So this thread made me realize the cleanest ratio at 1080p is strangely 134. Look at the life bar: it is the only ratio where the pixels are perfectly even on the false transparency effect used for the empty part of the bar.

I switched my ratio setting from 132 to 134 and sure enough I can't spot any scanlines artifacts anymore.

Now they need to patch the sound delay.

Looking at those new pictures from SmiteofHand, 134 does *look* better than the others; the noise (artifacts?) is reduced or even absent along the characters' hair, for example, just looking at it on my phone.

Obviously other folks here are much more qualified to comment and analyze this stuff, but it's certainly interesting, and I appreciate those posting these image comparisons-- sounds like it could be time consuming to do from previous comments.

radcliff

So I bought Shock Troopers and have been loving it. Question for those playing on the Pro Controller; does it play sloppily when using the analog stick for anyone else? For example, in the menu screen, if I press down on the analog stick, the cursor moves down but then up again (presumably from the analog stick going back to its original position and the game registering that an an "up" press). Similarly, if I press in one direction on the stick during the game, the character will face in a completely different direction. I have no problems with the D-pad, but the analog stick is frustrating to use in this game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So I bought Shock Troopers and have been loving it. Question for those playing on the Pro Controller; does it play sloppily when using the analog stick for anyone else? For example, in the menu screen, if I press down on the analog stick, the cursor moves down but then up again (presumably from the analog stick going back to its original position and the game registering that an an "up" press). Similarly, if I press in one direction on the stick during the game, the character will face in a completely different direction. I have no problems with the D-pad, but the analog stick is frustrating to use in this game.

I have the exact same bug.
And its game breaking tbh.
The pro controller is almost useless for neogeo games.

Such a shame

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, Neo Turf can be BRUTAL at times. I'm still trying to adjust to how hitting high and low impacts my distance and roll. Also, green reading can be a bit annoying at times.

But shit the game is good.

I hope we start getting more than one drop a week, the PS4 and X1 releases are coming at a fast pace but i'd much rather have them portable.

Last time I checked on Hamster's website there was something like an interval of a month between Neo Geo releases on PS4. Even more so on XB1.

They seem to be much more agressive on Switch thus far if they keep that pace.

I appreciate those posting these image comparisons-- sounds like it could be time consuming to do from previous comments.

Honestly the worst part is shuffling behind my TV to retrieve the AC plug each time. Why I tried to use another plug. When I did, the Switch correctly identified it was the wrong plug and said to use the correct one. No big deal, but then switching back to the official plug the dock refused to connect over HDMI or charge or even recognize the Switch in anyway, despite replacing every part of the chain. I nearly claimed defeat and came to post about how much of a dummy I am for knowingly using the wrong plug and order a new one when I tried a last ditch attempt of hooking it back up to my TV and everything works fine now. Even connecting it back the exact same way I was trying before.

Was bizarre. My best guess is the safety mechanism drops all connections for some period of time or something. I guess I should just order another official plug or something.

Question for those playing on the Pro Controller; does it play sloppily when using the analog stick for anyone else? For example, in the menu screen, if I press down on the analog stick, the cursor moves down but then up again (presumably from the analog stick going back to its original position and the game registering that an an "up" press). Similarly, if I press in one direction on the stick during the game, the character will face in a completely different direction. I have no problems with the D-pad, but the analog stick is frustrating to use in this game.

Someone was just complaining about the deadzone so probably the same thing..

One major YUCK with the controls in K.O.F 98
The pro controller has no deadzone. So selecting characters lineup before a match is glitchy as hell.

I'll mess with it and add it to my list.

AllenShrz

Is it possible that one person can play with the remote controller and other one with the joycons? Ive tired and tired but couldn't do it.

Hero

Such a shame

Whoa, can anyone else comment on this? I'm going to pick up Shock Troopers next time I get an eShop card but hearing the Pro Controller support isn't up to snuff as me worried.

Someone in here said it was unlikely since Sony probably has a hand in bringing it to PS4/Vita. Same with Garou.

Both are not Hamster ACA releases anyways. However I don't think it's unlikely. Because there is two releases of Metal Slug 3 (actually more if we count the steam and mobile ones too). On PS4 you have it done by Code Mystics (they also did Last Blade 2 and Motw) with online and everything. On Switch it is a hamster release, but just the arcade version. On steam and mobile I think it was done by DotEmu. Metal Slug 1 by hamster is on PS4. Windjammers on PS4 is by DotEmu. I mean actually WIndjammers could be a problem due to licensing and a reason why people thought it might never get a port. The question is who did resolve this? SNK or Sony?

thatJohann

Such a shame

Pro controller bad for neo geo? That's a bummer. Only reason I'm considering the pro controller is for neo geo games. Do you think it's hardware related from the controller as in a defect or just software not optimized for pro controller?

Pro controller bad for neo geo? That's a bummer. Only reason I'm considering the pro controller is for neo geo games. Do you think it's hardware related from the controller as in a defect or just software not optimized for pro controller?

The pro controller stick is not recommended yes. It has a very small dead zone (which I think is a good thing overall) and that tends to produce unwanted inputs. Now why would anyone want to play those games with analog sticks is a bit beyond me, joycons excluded. No problems at all with the d-pad.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
small deadzone would explain it.
it does working fine in combat.But selecting a fighter rotation?
horrible.

To the other guy, i think the dpad is not really nice on my pro controller.
it somehow feels off. Half circle motions somehow hurt my thumb.
this is not a defect mind you as it functions fine.

Vitacat

I really hope Garou ends up on the Switch like this, because it's one of my favourite fighting games.

Probably the only NeoGeo fighter I would buy on Switch.

I'm not personally fond of 4:3 games on Switch, would prefer some newer fighters that utilize the full 16:9. Hoping Tekken comes to Switch.

Sh0k

Man, Neo Turf can be BRUTAL at times. I'm still trying to adjust to how hitting high and low impacts my distance and roll. Also, green reading can be a bit annoying at times.

But shit the game is good.

Best course for starters and getting used to the game mechanics is Australia. The other three courses start easy for the first 2-3 holes, after that they get harder and harder with the flag placing, tons of bunkers, trees in between and wind. I finished first in Australia, went all confident to play the USA course and I was in the top 5 the first half to end up finishing around 22nd place at the end of the game.

Coda

Which screen filter do you prefer for shock troopers? There's a1-5 and b1-5. I'm lost, but I'd love an old school authentic look.

I'd say most people would agree that having the screen filter off looks the best and most sharp. Now if you could add scanlines independently of that we'd all be in business.

Which screen filter do you prefer for shock troopers? There's a1-5 and b1-5. I'm lost, but I'd love an old school authentic look.

I want to do more experimenting but my current recommendations would be as follows.

Handheld
Display size: 150
Screen filter: OFF or A3

TV Mode
Display size: 133
Screen filter: A4

As previously discussed there is no perfect setting for TV Mode currently so your best option is to allow the screen filter to blend the imperfections and then let the scanlines do what they can to restore the grid. I flipped a lot between 132-134 and believe 133 gives the most even distribution on my display. I go with the slightly more defined A4 filter just to help even more. A5 is too much and everything below A3 is too weak so you just get the worst aspects of the blur.

Personally I wouldn't even bother with the B filters since it just adds a framey scroll that is kind of silly, imo.

That's great we're getting MS1 but how is the Metal Slug Anthology emulation quality on PSP? I heard M2 worked on it? I've always been tempted to get it.

I'd say most people would agree that having the screen filter off looks the best and most sharp. Now if you could add scanlines independently of that we'd all be in business.

I want to do more experimenting but my current recommendations would be as follows.

Handheld
Display size: 150
Screen filter: OFF or A3

TV Mode
Display size: 133
Screen filter: A4

As previously discussed there is no perfect setting for TV Mode currently so your best option is to allow the screen filter to blend the imperfections and then let the scanlines do what they can to restore the grid. I flipped a lot between 132-134 and believe 133 gives the most even distribution on my display. I go with the slightly more defined A4 filter just to help even more. A5 is too much and everything below A3 is too weak so you just get the worst aspects of the blur.

Personally I wouldn't even bother with the B filters since it just adds a framey scroll that is kind of silly, imo.

Interesting, thanks for the input! I put A1 on last night and barely noticed the scanlines so maybe I'll push it up tonight.

antibolo

Banned
That's great we're getting MS1 but how is the Metal Slug Anthology emulation quality on PSP? I heard M2 worked on it? I've always been tempted to get it.

The PSP version is pretty bad, it's playable but there are frequent micro-loading breaks because the PSP lacked sufficient RAM to hold the entire games in memory.

Pretty sure M2 did not work on this because it's really not up to their standards.

Top Bottom