• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo Mini appears on Amazon

DryvBy

DfLBxU6V4AAePIS.jpg

The page went up here on Amazon.

Only thing I see for details is:
  • Based on the Neo Geo MVS arcade machine
  • Featuring a 3.5-inch LCD screen, it comes pre-loaded with forty games
  • Includes an HDMI port, headphone jacks, and two external controller ports
Wario64 said there would be details tomorrow.

Dunki

If I can play this on my TV with real controllers I would even consider buying this one. Looks cool^^

BANGS

Banned
This looks amazing, I love so many of these games. Even better if it can be hacked like the SNES mini...

Crew 511A

If that thing is as small as I think it is, pulling off moves in the fighting games is going to be a lesson in frustration. A full size bar top cabinet would have been cool though.

Yagami_Sama

I still think that it will be horrible to play on that tiny arcade / buttons, but for the right price, I will be willing to disregard my concern and buy the Japanese version.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
The price better be good and the stock better be good.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i have zero reasons to get this. i own a switch and a neo geo cd
watch me still get this.

fucking mini consoles fuck.

Bubba77

Looks great. Wonder what the price point is. I have most of these games on my mame cabinet but would still get this at right price

dolabla

Yeah, hoping the price isn't too much. I'd like to pick up both versions. Wonder what type of screen it's using? IPS or TN?

DESTROYA

I sort of wanted one but then seen it only had a 3.5” screen which in this day and age is pathetic.
Yes I realize you can hook it to a tv and use controllers but cmon a 3.5” screen really!
Looking at the thick bezel I know they could have gone bigger easily.

BANGS

Banned
So this is out in Japan now with mixed reviews. Hope it's improved before it makes it's way here, I REALLY want one!

Yea, I hear there are controller shortages so they are going for crazy prices at the moment. Hope they resolve these issues prior to the international release.

camelCase

That is so cute!! Love the little included screen. Only thing better would have been a crt.
Yea, I hear there are controller shortages so they are going for crazy prices at the moment. Hope they resolve these issues prior to the international release.
They probably will since I doubt it will have the same demand in the western world

camelCase

Depending on how supplies are limited though, might be a scalpable item...
Maybe. I don't think people in the US really give a fuck about NG frankly especially not how they did for mini snes , which should go without saying

While typing this I remember that newgrounds was originally a neo geo fanzine lol

BANGS

Banned
I don't think people in the US really give a fuck about NG frankly especially not how they did for mini snes
Of course not, but supplies may be so limited that it still ends up a hard to get item. People are already importing the Japanese one at inflated prices...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I plan to get the 40th Anniversary game released on Switch instead of this, but this is definitely a cool piece of kit. SNK rocks!

Nymphae

Banned
Pretty cool little toy, but my experience with the Hori Mini ps4 fightstick leads me to believe playing on a stick that small will feel like garbage. Your hand needs a little resting space on the fightstick, and that looks uncomfortable to rest your stick hand on. I mean I guess it's not for tournament play or anything lol, but I'm picky about shit like that.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Pretty cool little toy, but my experience with the Hori Mini ps4 fightstick leads me to believe playing on a stick that small will feel like garbage. Your hand needs a little resting space on the fightstick, and that looks uncomfortable to rest your stick hand on. I mean I guess it's not for tournament play or anything lol, but I'm picky about shit like that.
This person knows.

BANGS

Banned
Yeah I would never actually play this without a controller... The "portability" of this thing is just a novelty, I want it as a console. I also really hope it's hackable like SNES mini because it's missing quite a few games I want based on the list provided... I can't play a NEO GEO without fucking Aerofighters...

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Those look nice. Although it has me wondering how much I would be slouching if playing standing up, which would be a major problem for me. My back yells at me for doing that "hunched over computing" for even a few seconds.
You cannot play those standing up unless you use the riser. They are very short. Meant for kids or someone sitting on a stool.

wondermega

Still interested in this, but after hearing some of the reviews I've cooled off a bit. Lack of portability (needs to be plugged in) is a big one.. Anyway I recently loaded some NG games onto my GCW Zero and quite pleased with their presentation on that thing, so my itch might be scratched. If I get a new job again soon I'll probably lean back towards buying one of these however..

dirthead

Banned
I know piracy, blah blah, whatever, but the truth is that for the price of this, you are WAY better off with just buying a 27" Sony TV off Craigslist and throwing a GroovyMAME setup together and actually playing Neo games at their original resolution and refresh rates. Neo Geo emulation is pretty light in MAME, so even a cheaper used PC is good enough to drive it at full speed.

Neo Geo emulation in MAME is absurdly excellent. It's one of the best drivers in the program. This stuff simply isn't as good. You can get next frame input response with GroovyMAME. There's basically no downside versus original hardware.

Top Bottom