• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo Mini Thread

hecatomb

Banned
Neo Geo mini coming out, can be playing on the small system or on the tv

https://wccftech.com/neo-geo-mini-game-list/
List of games
  • The King of Fighters ’95
  • The King of Fighters ’97
  • The King of Fighters ’98
  • The King of Fighters 2000
  • The King of Fighters 2002
  • Art of Fighting
  • Fatal Fury Special
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves
  • Samurai Shodown II
  • Samurai Shodown IV
  • Samurai Shodown V Special
  • The Last Blade 2
  • World Heroes Perfect
  • Kizuna Encounter
  • Metal Slug
  • Metal Slug 2
  • Metal Slug 3
  • Metal Slug 4
  • Metal Slug 5
  • Metal Slug X
  • King of Monsters
  • King of Monsters 2
  • Shock Troopers
  • Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
  • Sengoku 3
  • Ninja Master’s
  • Top Player’s Golf
  • Super Sidekicks
  • Blazing Star
  • Puzzled
  • Magician Lord
  • Robo Army
  • Crossed Swords
  • Mutation Nation
  • 3 Count Bout
  • Last Resort
  • Ghost Pilots
  • Football Frenzy

Last edited:

PsyEd

Frankly all my fav titles are here...apart from Neo Turf Masters...one of the best golf game for it's era.

hecatomb

Banned
Frankly all my fav titles are here...apart from Neo Turf Masters...one of the best golf game for it's era.
I might get this, but it already cost 100, and you have to buy the controllers, out of all the games Magician Lord, Samuri showdown games, metal slug, and shock troopers are my favs.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

150.gif

anyone that is thinking to get this thing...
NO DON'T​

Last edited:
I'm debating between getting this or buying a Neo Geo Pocket. After watching the videos that Spukc Spukc provided, I am now heavily leaning towards cancelling my mini pre-order and just getting the pocket. No microswitches on the controllers is a travesty. How the hell do you elect not to install that into your controllers?

hecatomb

Banned

150.gif

anyone that is thinking to get this thing...
NO DON'T​

complaining about not having clicky controllers lol, if they just want a 100% real Neo geo, they might as well just buy a Neo geo console, guess they don't remember also at the time Neo geo games were around $300-$400 each

Last edited:

Spukc

I'm debating between getting this or buying a Neo Geo Pocket. After watching the videos that Spukc Spukc provided, I am now heavily leaning towards cancelling my mini pre-order and just getting the pocket. No microswitches on the controllers is a travesty. How the hell do you elect not to install that into your controllers?
dude legit don't support this shit man.
the hdmi out is also piss poor what a waste for one of the best looking sprite based games consoles ever.

hecatomb hecatomb
you have no idea how shit the controls are man just watch the video's it's that bad. unplayable actually.

Last edited:

Vitacat

I'm skipping the mini.

If you're looking for an authentic classic SNK experience for not too much money, then yeah, get a NGPC and a bunch of games. After watching and reading a lot about the mini, I don't consider it authentic -- it's an opportunistic product with many shortcomings, i.e. the inexplicable analog sticks and weird button layouts are horrible. I have owned a NGPC since they launched in the US, and I really loved many of its games. I also own one of the slimmer JPN revisions which is really nice. Just be aware of what it is and isn't. It's not at all similar to the NeoGeo MVS/AES hardware, although it does have many titles derived from SNK arcade games. The controls are among the best EVER made, and some of the games IMO are still among the best handheld games ever made (i.e. Capcom Vs SNK, the 2 Metal Slug games etc.), but it's an ancient and very limited bit of hardware inside so you'll have visuals slightly better than Gameboy Color, a non-lit screen, and IMO very weak sound (though it's impressive what they manage to do with it sometimes). It also has incredible battery life.

Last edited:

Shinriji

This NeoGeo mini has a LOT of questionable design decisions, but the buttons layout of the pad is the dumbest one by far.

NEOGEO CD PAD

CD
AB

NEOGEO MINI

AC
BD

why.gif

hecatomb

Banned
dude legit don't support this shit man.
the hdmi out is also piss poor what a waste for one of the best looking sprite based games consoles ever.

hecatomb hecatomb
you have no idea how shit the controls are man just watch the video's it's that bad. unplayable actually.
ya I've seen some vids said they were fine. Then some other people say they don't like them cause they don't make a clicking sound. Though if the controllers are bad can't you just use the stick?

Last edited:

Spukc

ya I've seen some vids said they were fine. Then some other people say they don't like them cause they don't make a clicking sound. Though if the controllers are bad can't you just use the stick?
the two vids i linked are 2 big retro gamer youtubers that know their shit and are not parroting pr info.
If those guys say a retro device is shit.
boy it is shit.

The controls simply don't work they are broken
the video out is broken.

Don't support crap mini consoles.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
No Twinkle Star, Magical Drop III, or Neo DriftOut New Technology.

PASSSSSSSS. Plus why should I pay a premium for a little LED screen that I'll never use? Seems like a dumb way to bloat the price.

However, I'm a stickler because I already have most of these games in one form or another. If you're new to SNK, the library seems pretty good.

hecatomb

Banned
the two vids i linked are 2 big retro gamer youtubers that know their shit and are not parroting pr info.
If those guys say a retro device is shit.
boy it is shit.

The controls simply don't work they are broken
the video out is broken.

Don't support crap mini consoles.
So have you tried it yourself?

hecatomb

Banned
No Twinkle Star, Magical Drop III, or Neo DriftOut New Technology.

PASSSSSSSS. Plus why should I pay a premium for a little LED screen that I'll never use? Seems like a dumb way to bloat the price.

However, I'm a stickler because I already have most of these games in one form or another. If you're new to SNK, the library seems pretty good.
ya the price seems like its the biggest thing holding it back

From all the footage ive seen, it looks cool, the 240p 4:3 lcd is beautiful, the game selection is pretty good if your a fighting fan, it’s a nice little desk toy... the controllers are terrible, the stick could be better but is ok, the hdmi out is trash.

I dunno, I have a preorder and thought about cancelling it, but when I see it in action, I still want one. They should have done so much better, but I think it’s still cool.

Last edited:

radewagon

The no microswitches thing actually makes a fair amount of sense. If you look at pads, in recent memory, that have elected to include microswitches, they have tended to not last very long. I'm not sure why, but microswitch controllers tend to suck. I know the original ones were built with microswitches, but I'd rather have a reliable pad than to have them attempt to recreate an experience with parts that may no longer be up to snuff. Those old pads... maybe they can't actually make them like they used to.

This NeoGeo mini has a LOT of questionable design decisions, but the buttons layout of the pad is the dumbest one by far.

NEOGEO CD PAD

CD
AB

NEOGEO MINI

AC
BD

why.gif

This also makes a fair amount of sense. For example, in Metal Slug, A is shoot and B is jump. Most gamers these days would much rather have the Mini-Style layout. Having the CD pad layout would mean that (if this were a PSX controller) X would be shoot and Circle would be jump. Which would be just awful.

Having just got the Mini yesterday, there are some legit problems with it. The microswitches and the layout changes, however, are really a non-issue. One of the changes makes the hardware potentially more reliable while the other change makes the product more user-friendly for modern gamers.

The major problems I've encountered are really:
1) Why are the games in AES mode if the mini is made to look like an arcade cabinet?
2) Limited continues? Thanks AES mode.
3) Censorship? Is blood in Metal Slug really that much of a problem in 2018?
4) HDMI output is, as many have already said, terrible and muddy. The smoothing option, though, is actually not too bad. It's not ideal, but it works. Sort of.

Shinriji

This also makes a fair amount of sense. For example, in Metal Slug, A is shoot and B is jump. Most gamers these days would much rather have the Mini-Style layout. Having the CD pad layout would mean that (if this were a PSX controller) X would be shoot and Circle would be jump. Which would be just awful.

Now try to charge POW in KOF or SS (A+B+C) or B+C+D in SS4. Pretty convoluted in that pad. And I played Metal Slug for years in all those different pads (NGCD, Dual Shock, Saturn) with A and B and didn't had a problem with that, nor everyone that used to play at the time. Those pad changes are dumb, dumb, dumb.

Last edited:

CoachFeratu678

Neo Member
I've been wanting one of these sort of for a while. I know there are issues but I've always been an incredibly unfussy gamer who never notices lag or display issues, and I love the idea of a mini arcade machine on my desk.

The special edition Samurai Shodown minis pushed me over the edge, so I ordered the blue Ukyo edition.

Krathoon

I got the international one and the Samurai Showdown one. There is just enough difference in the selection of games. The SS one also has the uncensored Japanese versions of the games.

Top Bottom