• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo X Gold portable console details and price announced!

Lhadatt

Can't you just set your TV's picture format to 4:3? I have to do that for my SNES every time...
Yeah, but the device can change the aspect ratio while it's using the handheld display. That option is disabled when it's docked. It doesn't make any sense.

Vitacat

This thing should run beyond perfect. There is no excuse for any technical hitches especially if the same games on PSP don't have these issues (I have no idea if they do or not). Even if they do, there is still no excuse for these 20 year old SNK games to have even a slight issue on SNK hardware.

That's the thing... this is not SNK hardware. It's just an emulator, and apparently not a great one.

You will never see real, true SNK NeoGeo hardware in a modern handheld. It's just not feasible, and probably not even possible anymore (i.e. I doubt Motorola even makes 68000 CPU's these days). SNK could've maybe done it back in the day, but the cost would've been crazy, and the battery life probably as bad or worse than the Sega Nomad.

Sad to say, but I suspect a lot of NGX's will end up in people's closets in a few weeks.

meppi

Oh well, instead of this system I've now ordered a copy of Puzzle de Pon! R. :D
I had a conversion of the first one (made from all original parts etc) for many years now, but I was never able to have one made of R.

Loved this game soooooooooooo much when I was able to play it in the arcades.
I remember spending nearly my whole vacation (about 6 weeks) at the beach during the summer of 1998 and pretty much all I can remember from that time is playing days of Puzzle de Pon! R. :)

depths20XX

No 4:3 with HDMI? Screen tearing? Playing the thing docked is basically a novelty? Even when the fucking thing comes with a joystick?

This has now lost my interest

Booter

Oh well, instead of this system I've now ordered a copy of Puzzle de Pon! R. :D
I had a conversion of the first one (made from all original parts etc) for many years now, but I was never able to have one made of R.

Loved this game soooooooooooo much when I was able to play it in the arcades.
I remember spending nearly my whole vacation (about 6 weeks) at the beach during the summer of 1998 and pretty much all I can remember from that time is playing days of Puzzle de Pon! R. :)

I was a *huge* fan of panel de pon back in the day. I was so excited to hear about this game. then I found out that it was a puzzle bobble clone...

Shoyz

How is it so much more justifiable to pirate retro games than modern games? Or do these people go into topics for new games and post "Why don't you guys just burn this instead?". Crazy.

Dave Long

Banned
A friend of mine got one so I'll be able to play it soon and offer feedback from a guy who owns an AES right now. I can see some of the games side by side when I get the chance to try his. He has an MVS cabinet too.

I get really upset with bad emulation, so if it's bad, I'll tell you.

jdl

Banned
No 4:3 with HDMI? Screen tearing? Playing the thing docked is basically a novelty? Even when the fucking thing comes with a joystick?

There is 4:3 in HDMI mode. I think what the previous poster meant is you can't alternate between 4:3 and 16:9 once it's docked. Which I can't imagine why anyone would want it on 16:9 ever to begin with.

DoubleTap

Just saw this on the NeoGeoX FAQ

How do I charge the battery for the NEOGEO X?
The NEOGEO X must not be charged using a stand alone power supply or USB cable. ALWAYS connect the NEOGEO X to the Docking Station to charge it.

Why would they sell the handheld separately if this is the recommended way of charging it?

Any issues charging it via USB?

meppi

I was a *huge* fan of panel de pon back in the day. I was so excited to hear about this game. then I found out that it was a puzzle bobble clone...

Oh, I love Panel de Pon as well. Incredible game, especially in multiplayer.
Played a lot of Puzzle League on the DS as well and would love to see a new version on 3DS or even Wii U with online play.
But yeah, Puzzle de Pon has nothing to do with it. Love it as well, but for very different reasons. Actually, I like it more than Puzzle Bubble since it has the "unlock this piece from inside the bubbles" gameplay instead of just clearing the screen to advance.

How is it so much more justifiable to pirate retro games than modern games?
It really isn't IMO, yet you see it all the time.

Takao

Banned
How is it so much more justifiable to pirate retro games than modern games? Or do these people go into topics for new games and post "Why don't you guys just burn this instead?". Crazy.

Because old games are no longer manufactured, the staff who made them aren't likely to see a cent from the re-releases and their big money days are long behind them? I dunno.

woodypop

Hmm. . . seems to be too many niggling issues with this, enough to make me think twice about jumping on board. Will content myself with my NGCD and MVS until things get ironed out.

Hrm, I've left mine unopened so far. I keep looking at it and can't tell if I should keep it as a collectible or just open it up and play with it. I already have a MVS and AES so it's not like I don't have some means to play stuff.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, appears I have one on the way, now:)

I really... don't hope any of these issues are fixed with homebrew, wouldn't it be best to see the manufacturer fix these things? Before all the "I hope homebrew does this down the line..." stuff, I moreso hope to see some support from the people who stand to profit by releasing games for the unit.

Well, this'll be my first piece of Dedicated NeoGeo Hardware since the Neo Geo Pocket, so I'm quite looking forward to it :) There's even games on the system that I HAVEN'T played to death over the years!

d0c_zaius

thought I wasnt able to get an order in, one randomly shows up at my door.

Now I dont want to open the box cause I hate screen tearing.

yay.

Someone over at neo-geo.com/forums has pulled it apart and someone else figured out a way to get it to show up as a USB Boot Device.

That was fast.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Someone over at neo-geo.com/forums has pulled it apart and someone else figured out a way to get it to show up as a USB Boot Device.

That was fast.

Battery soldered to the board... ugh.

HitokiriRyu @NG forums said:
Ok, this may be of use to someone who is more familiar with Linux. If you hold the start button while plugging the handheld into a pc it comes up as a JZ4770 USB Boot Device.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...e-announced!&p=3463273&viewfull=1#post3463273

@Cohaagen
No one was wondering.

Bog

Junior Ace
Hrm, I've left mine unopened so far. I keep looking at it and can't tell if I should keep it as a collectible or just open it up and play with it. I already have a MVS and AES so it's not like I don't have some means to play stuff.

That's where I'm at, too. The box is so pretty...

jdl

Banned
Well, appears I have one on the way, now:)

I really... don't hope any of these issues are fixed with homebrew, wouldn't it be best to see the manufacturer fix these things? Before all the "I hope homebrew does this down the line..." stuff, I moreso hope to see some support from the people who stand to profit by releasing games for the unit.

Well, this'll be my first piece of Dedicated NeoGeo Hardware since the Neo Geo Pocket, so I'm quite looking forward to it :) There's even games on the system that I HAVEN'T played to death over the years!

Given that these issues are present at all shows a certain lack of consideration for the product, so I'm doubting there will be any initiative to fix them down the road.

There's definitely things that are good about the overall package, but I would've thought precise quality emulation would've been a first and foremost priority.

LiK

got mine. keeping it sealed for now. maybe will open it during the weekend.

AD409B80-509C-4076-B6DA-5B341E9CFC0C-8926-0000074CC26E9947.jpg

Agent X

- HDMI output is crap. It's upscaled to 720x480 @ 60 Hz progressive (480p) from whatever resolution the screen is set to. You can't change the screen size to 4:3 when it's in HDMI mode. Pixels are blurred. It's a mess. Other reviews say the composite output is also crap, so this may have problems on a CRT. Don't buy this strictly for playing on your home TV unless you're OK with the limitations. It's best to regard it as a bonus feature and move on.

I don't like the sound of "regard it as a bonus feature", especially since the deluxe package is sold with a docking station and a joystick for quite a few dollars more.

One of the most appealing things about the system is the ability to use it as either a portable device or as a home console with a near-perfect replica of the original joystick. If the "home console" aspect of it is shoddy (according to the comments above), then that limits the machine to mostly portable use. If that's the case, then I'd probably be better off just playing on PSP (and get the games for PS3 or Wii for home use).

Yeah, but the device can change the aspect ratio while it's using the handheld display. That option is disabled when it's docked. It doesn't make any sense.

Can you take the unit out of the dock, set it to 4:3, then place it in the dock and have it output 4:3?

Yeah, I don't get the issues with emulation. I don't know what kind of hardware is under the hood, but hopefully they can iron out the kinks through firmware updates. It shouldn't have had so many issues in the first place, though.

Given that these issues are present at all shows a certain lack of consideration for the product, so I'm doubting there will be any initiative to fix them down the road.

There's definitely things that are good about the overall package, but I would've thought precise quality emulation would've been a first and foremost priority.

Yeah, it's a heartbreaker. There are some aspects of the hardware design that show a great amount of love and consideration (like the joystick design, even tracking down the manufacturer of the original parts), but on the other hand there are so many other areas where it's quite obviously cheap and tacky. It seems like a curious collectible piece, but quite frankly if you want to play video games on it then it's not worth the price of admission.

Even if you consider "it's a Blaze/Tommo product", SNK's involvement should lend it a higher level of authenticity. SNK's logo on the package should serve as an imprimatur, suggesting that this product adheres to the standards set by the original Neo-Geo AES hardware, which was promoted as a sort of "luxury" video game product for several years.

Oh, who the hell am I kidding? Atari and Sega frequently paste their logos on cheap replica hardware, too. In that context, I'm not entirely surprised that the same thing has happened here. I'm disappointed that it didn't turn out differently, but once again, I'm not entirely surprised.

Yes Boss!

Tempted to open up this joystick to see what is inside.

Two screws are easy enough, one under the sticker and one up front. Are the others under the rubber feet?

First impression (other than light-ness) is that the finish is better than the more recent replicas, but it is slightly lighter. Ball-top is a bit cheaper than the replicas and in no way comparable to the AES. I do Love the floating buttons on this one, exactly like I remember. Stick is a bit grindy till it engages the switches. Tried it on Shock Troopers on the PS3 and worked fine but button mapping is all weird so I use my BD remote to do all the menu selects.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Despite the nice look of the thing, I'm glad I wasn't tempted to get one. Even early on, all kinds of alarm bells were set off.

Not sure who exactly made the hardware, but retro game emulation devices are nothing new, and while some are better than others, they all invariably are not up to any high standards of quality. Plus, like I've mentioned before, Blaze has a terrible reputation - as we witnessed earlier in the year with their Game Gadget: http://www.videogamesinteractive.com/2012/06/expose-is-game-gadget-xploders-way-of.html

It's not like they're the only one with issues of course (see Hyperkin). About the only neo-retro device I can safely recommend is the Atari Flashback 2 (NOT 1, 3, or 4).

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
anyone found any in stores? like an idiot i thought it'd be available. seems like a mistake.

Agent X

I just thought of something.

Most reviews say that the Neo-Geo X joystick is very well made, using parts from the original factory that manufactured the parts SNK used 20 years ago.

Meanwhile, there was a PS3 version of the Neo-Geo joystick, but it was never released in the US.

Perhaps they could modify the Neo-Geo X joystick design into a new USB joystick that could be used on PS3 and PC (and also with Neo-Geo X, of course). This would fill a niche, and could be a great way to bring in additional income from PS3 and PC gamers.

meppi

Because old games are no longer manufactured, the staff who made them aren't likely to see a cent from the re-releases and their big money days are long behind them? I dunno.

So instead of buying them on PSN/XBLA or Virtual Console and actually supporting them, according to you we are free to pirate any of these games because the original staff probably won't see a cent of today's income from these sales? Very nice.... bah

Yes Boss!

Most reviews say that the Neo-Geo X joystick is very well made, using parts from the original factory that manufactured the parts SNK used 20 years ago.

Meanwhile, there was a PS3 version of the Neo-Geo joystick, but it was never released in the US.

Perhaps they could modify the Neo-Geo X joystick design into a new USB joystick that could be used on PS3 and PC (and also with Neo-Geo X, of course). This would fill a niche, and could be a great way to bring in additional income from PS3 and PC gamers.

It already works on the PS3 fine.

And, yes, it is pretty good quality but in this day and age it is far, far below "the standard."

vgamer1

I thought that was already the case...

Agent X

It already works on the PS3 fine.

Does it? I read the opposite, with the PS3 version of the Neo-Geo stick working on the Neo-Geo X.

In any case, isn't the NGX stick missing some essential buttons for PS3 usage, such as the PS button?

And, yes, it is pretty good quality but in this day and age it is far, far below "the standard."

Well, I mean in terms of it being a good replica Neo-Geo stick. It might not hold up to some of the high-quality joysticks we've seen in recent years (like the Mad Catz TE stick), and might not be usable with a wide array of games. However, as something geared towards playing Neo-Geo games, it might be perfectly acceptable.

Shoyz

Despite the nice look of the thing, I'm glad I wasn't tempted to get one. Even early on, all kinds of alarm bells were set off.

Not sure who exactly made the hardware, but retro game emulation devices are nothing new, and while some are better than others, they all invariably are not up to any high standards of quality. Plus, like I've mentioned before, Blaze has a terrible reputation - as we witnessed earlier in the year with their Game Gadget: http://www.videogamesinteractive.com/2012/06/expose-is-game-gadget-xploders-way-of.html

It's not like they're the only one with issues of course (see Hyperkin). About the only neo-retro device I can safely recommend is the Atari Flashback 2 (NOT 1, 3, or 4).

All signs (and the boxart) point to it being 'Designed and Manufactured by Tommo'. Blaze seems to only be the EU distributor of it.

jdl

Banned
Does it? I read the opposite, with the PS3 version of the Neo-Geo stick working on the Neo-Geo X.

In any case, isn't the NGX stick missing some essential buttons for PS3 usage, such as the PS button?

Well, I mean in terms of it being a good replica Neo-Geo stick. It might not hold up to some of the high-quality joysticks we've seen in recent years (like the Mad Catz TE stick), and might not be usable with a wide array of games. However, as something geared towards playing Neo-Geo games, it might be perfectly acceptable.

Yes, I can confirm it works quite nicely on PS3 as well as PC. After playing MSlug on PS3 it makes me wonder why they couldn't bring that same standard of quality to this machine.

If there's any justice, someone will homebrew this thing into a proper NG emulator.

The handheld is pretty nice though. It still suffers from the graphics not being pixel sharp. But the controls and overall feel of it are some of the best I've experience from a handheld.

Yes Boss!

Yeah,

I place it just a smidge above the recent PS3 stick. Though it is light so maybe a little ballast will push it over.

Missing some buttons but it works fine in conjunction with a BD remote which has all the essential buttons. I've always got a BD remote and Move controller synced for menu navigation so they work fine. Honestly, why would I use this for PS3? I've got a million other options that are better.

Top Bottom