• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo X Gold portable console details and price announced!

Syriel

I'm expecting the following:

1) Portable offering both 16:9 "stretch" mode and 4:3 "sidebox" mode. Why? Because 16:9 is the standard TV size these days and if it's not 16:9, casuals will say "it sux."

2) SoC. I would be shocked if this is emulation.

3) Back catalog game sales. Likely the majority of the collection will be available for sale.

4) BIOS will be home console version. Don't expect arcade options OOtB (will be happy if I'm wrong here).

5) If SoC, when docked should look/feel a hell of a lot like the classic Neo*Geo.

And one complaint:

WHERE THE HELL IS THE MEMORY CARD SLOT ON THE DOCK?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Some interesting news on the system, Via Siliconera:

...for $200 users should be able to add games to the system somehow.

And it looks like you can. The Japanese announcement says the NeoGeo X Gold has 2GB of flash memory on board and supports a 1-8GB SD or MMC card. The initial NeoGeo X Gold shipment in Japan includes a Ninja Master game card. *This promotion has not been announced for North America at this time.*

The NeoGeo X has a 1GHz CPU clock, 128MB system memory, runs Linux, has a 4.3 inch LCD screen with 480×272 pixel resolution in a 16 : 9 aspect ratio. In Japan, the NeoGeo X Gold costs 19,990 yen ($254) and comes out on December 6.

So the JP version ships with a game cart (Ninja Masters), plus the 20 games. That's a good initial showing of some support.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I wonder if they will support it with new original games though.

Y'know, I wonder if there's any possibility of NG:DEV or any of those homebrew dudes releasing their games for this thing--Gun Lord and Fast Striker and whatever else. I remember they said they tried to get official certification from SNK-Playmore but they didn't wanna deal with it... maybe this is their opportunity.

Galdelico

I wonder if they will support it with new original games though.
I would expect so, but I must say the SD cards support and now the news about the system running Linux only reinforce my bad feelings about it...
Seriously hope it's not another case of 'let's start this new thing up, we give you again the good old bunch of 10/20 games (some of them are kind of 'new' but the most really aren't) and about future releases... Well, it runs Linux and it supports SD cards... It's up to you'.

Takao

Banned
yZOT2.jpg

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wait, people are actually excited for the opportunity to buy single-game cartridges at whatever pace they decide to trickle 'em out? Surely digital distribution is the way to go here.

olimpia84

I would expect so, but I must say the SD cards support and now the news about the system running Linux only reinforce my bad feelings about it...
Seriously hope it's not another case of 'let's start this new thing up, we give you again the good old bunch of 10/20 games (some of them are kind of 'new' but the most really aren't) and about future releases... Well, it runs Linux and it supports SD cards... It's up to you'.

Yeah, I'm a bit scared based on what they announced so far... SNK has a good record of not giving a damn.

Cool, I'm hoping for Amazon to put this up as a preorder bonus as well. If SNK is smart they should have retail releases like Ninja Masters at a budget price to hopefully attract some people into buying the damn thing.

wo-ho-hoa :D single cart NeoGeo titles for retail? Surely this can't be commercially viable and the whole project will shut down after the 3rd game or so... Just please let Garou be one of those three and i will buy the system and the game! ;D

Reclaimer

I'll bite, just to play some samuri showdown and metal slug. If its shit I'll return it, but I'd rather be signed up if the system and joystick turn out to be worthy.

Where can I preorder? Hoping GameStop isn't the only outlet...

Galdelico

That 'boxart' defilitely feels odd and sexy at the same time... :D

SNKP should really spill some bean now: emulation details, visual and general settings available, pictures and vids of them games running...

The NeoGeo X has a 1GHz CPU clock, 128MB system memory, runs Linux, has a 4.3 inch LCD screen with 480×272 pixel resolution in a 16 : 9 aspect ratio.

So it's emulation... And why the crazy PSP resolution? NeoGeo games aren't even in widescreen. I guess Sony overstocked on those.

Well, I was hoping this would be the original hardware loading games frm SD cards. Since it isn't, I don't care. Wasted effort.

Galdelico

So it's emulation... And why the crazy PSP resolution? NeoGeo games aren't even in widescreen. I guess Sony overstocked on those.
It's silly but I sorta hope so... I could give the new games (3 Count Bout, Ninja Masters, Fatal Fury Special, Real Bout...) the chance to come to NeoGeo Station eventually. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The NeoGeo X has a 1GHz CPU clock, 128MB system memory, runs Linux, has a 4.3 inch LCD screen with 480×272 pixel resolution in a 16 : 9 aspect ratio. In Japan, the NeoGeo X Gold costs 19,990 yen ($254) and comes out on December 6.
Why oh why does it have a 16:9 LCD? That makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. What a terrible terrible idea.

An LCD that matches the resolution of NeoGeo is what should have been included (or at least something 4:3). What are they thinking?

Theonik

Why oh why does it have a 16:9 LCD? That makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. What a terrible terrible idea.

An LCD that matches the resolution of NeoGeo is what should have been included (or at least something 4:3). What are they thinking?
It was probably cheaper to do it this way. I share your sentiment though.

Takao

Banned
I do have to say, those SD cards are a pretty cool thing for collectors. But at the same time I wonder if they just raided someone for the smallest SD cards they could find and just dumped ROMs on them, haha.

I do have to say, those SD cards are a pretty cool thing for collectors. But at the same time I wonder if they just raided someone for the smallest SD cards they could find and just dumped ROMs on them, haha.

It's definitely just ROMs on an SD card, IMO. Since it's running Linux, there will be ways to run the entire NEO-GEO romset off SD cards in the first few months of release. Guarantee it.

Deefuzz

Hoping the trend continues with more game cards available down the line. I was quite interested before but with this new added bonus I think I'm definitely in for 1!

Krabboss

I've spent the last week playing a bunch of Neo Geo games and I remembered they were putting out this thing. That list of games... not a lot of bangers for me. Where is the Waku Waku 7?!

This thing is gonna be an instant collectable. It won't sell at that price, but there won't be enough of them to justify dropping the msrp.

I am dying for them to announce the metal slugs, svc chaos, bust a move, and kof2k3

woodypop

I reserved mine, with one of the arcade sticks. So probably three SKUs (the Gold version, the standard Neo-Geo X, and the arcade sticks). I can see why that'd be surprising, outta nowhere! :)
How much is it to reserve the Gold version? I'll probly do that when I pick up the Kirby Collection tomorrow.

Top Bottom