• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo X Gold portable console details and price announced!

It is enthusiast pricing. Not mass market. Such is the way of the world. It looks like a good deal to me. Hell, I love KoF 95, Magician Lord, Cyber Lip, Last Resort, and Nam 75.

galvatron

Looks very, very attractive.

Price is way, way too high...but it looks very good. :(

I think that sums it up for me, too. I've already got most of those carts on MVS (and some are stinkers like Fatal Fury), but it's always nice to see World Heroes Perfect get some love. It's an amazing game, but good luck pressing abc or doing Mudman's super at the proper range with the 2 x 2 button layout.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
As much as 'd love so see SvC:MotM re-released on a console with more visibility, SNKP would probably need to work out some licensing deal with Capcom to distribute something with their IPs in it outside of the hardware it was originally released on.
I'd pay good money for that, as it's still the best crossover between both companies, but many people wouldn't be able to look past the small color count to make it profitable.

As much as I love SNK's stuff and am willing to throw money at them, I still want to know if it'll be possible to add more games to this - most of them I already have from older compilations on the PS2, and I draw the line at buying the same game(s) twice.
I don't think 3-Count Bout was in any of them though - it was nice when that game got a nod in KoF XIII's intro dialogue between Kensou and Raiden, through a mention of Red Dragon.

i would like to say it shouldnt be that difficult, but seeing how long it took for marvel and capcom to get together to bring mvc2 to current gen, you have a point.

shandy706

Can easily afford/buy....but not interested.

Now if it had the entire catalog or at least a massive one included...possibly interested.

Price doesn't matter to me if I think something will deliver a bang for my buck.

I've always thought the Vita wasn't expensive for what you get. Had no regrets dropping $400+ on it when The Show came out.....this however....not so much.

So obvious in this thread who are just cold weenies and who are real hot dogs.

You are not a Neo Geo fan if you don't get that.

Galdelico

Out of curiosity - and slightly OT, but a yes/no/follow-this-link kind of answer would be more than enough - is there a legit way for an EU resident to be able to purchase and download japanese NeoGeo Virtual Console titles on the Wii?
Should I get a PAL console and burn it with a fake japanese account?
Maybe do I need a proper japanese console?

Because I see worldwilde stores selling japanese points, but I really seem to miss the 'how to actually use them' simple step.

I'm ok with the lineup, because that is the included free lineup. I can't imagine them not releasing the rest of their library through other means. With other recent SNK projects they were emulated on existing hardware, so they took some work to bring each title to market, and sales would dictate continued support.

This is hardware they have control over, so I have to assume these roms will essentially be ready to play, or at least easy to get to that point. There is no middle-man like Sony/Microsoft to pay the digital publishing fee to either. With so many barriers out of the way, they would be crazy to not have the full library available. There might be some strategic stagger to the release schedule just so the minor titles get love on the way to the popular ones, but otherwise it looks to be the optimal platform for digital distribution.
  • If people buy it.
  • If the hardware is quality.
  • If game pricing isn't insane.

Trying to be positive here, I think this looks really cool.

I remember back in the day, at Babbages, when they sold Neo Geos for $600 and games were $200
Clearly we are among the minority in this thread. I remember lusting after them for years as a child. Now, a portable with dock AND a controller? Provided the quality is there, I'm not balking at the price. It comes with 20 games! Has the iPhone so diluted the value of our preferred leisure activity? Yes. OK; granted, I get that, but this isn't being aimed at people who game to whittle away time while standing in line. It's aimed at the collectors, the people who were "kids" when the NeoGeo came out and could only dream about owning one, or the kids who were jealous when they knew that one "rich kid" with all the carts!

Seen these things a million times in my long videogame collecting career. Buy new, keep in box and wait two years to sell for 4X the value.

VegaNine

Clearly we are among the minority in this thread. I remember lusting after them for years as a child. Now, a portable with dock AND a controller? Provided the quality is there, I'm not balking at the price. It comes with 20 games! Has the iPhone so diluted the value of our preferred leisure activity? Yes. OK; granted, I get that, but this isn't being aimed at people who game to whittle away time while standing in line. It's aimed at the collectors, the people who were "kids" when the NeoGeo came out and could only dream about owning one, or the kids who were jealous when they knew that one "rich kid" with all the carts!

In other words, us suckers. :p

Slermy

Price does not bother me, provided the quality on this is very high. Pending reviews, I'm likely to pick one up.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
We should have had a NGPC collection on the DS. But, no, that would require SNK do something other than whoring out the same selection of "classic" NeoGeo games over and over.

That's my beef with SNK. Same shit over and over again, and honestly, the vast majority of these games haven't stood the test of time at all.
Looking over that list NAM '75 is the only game I'd be interested in having out of the entire 20 game list. Samurai Shodown and Metal Slug are still great, but I've already played them to the point where I no longer care if I ever play them again.

I couldn't afford one new but around 95 or 96 someone sold me a used one for $300 with two joysticks and 10 games. I played the crap out of it then sold it to another guy for $400. I felt I got my fill on the system.

Clearly we are among the minority in this thread. I remember lusting after them for years as a child. (SNIP) It's aimed at the collectors, the people who were "kids" when the NeoGeo came out and could only dream about owning one, or the kids who were jealous when they knew that one "rich kid" with all the carts!

That's the thing though, you can get a real cabinet in this price range. I would think you could even run MAME on some of today's handheld devices.

Really? Last time I checked the schedule was quite underwhelming... Maybe US and Europe get different stuff at a different rate?
Btw, the only one I'd call 'active' is the japanese VC... Great games come out regularly and that's the closest thing to a proper comprehensive NG collection I've ever seen, other than looking at the real deal.
NeoGeo VC releases by region:

66 Japan (13 this year)
37 America (8 this year)
33 Europe (4 this year)

And NeoGeo Station (PSN):

16 Japan (0 this year)
16 America (0 this year)
16 Europe (1 this year)

NeoGeo VC releases by region:

66 Japan (13 this year)
37 America (8 this year)
33 Europe (4 this year)

And NeoGeo Station (PSN):

16 Japan (0 this year)
16 America (0 this year)
16 Europe (1 this year)

This is all so sad. Neo Geo Station ports are where it's at. I guess they were a bit expensive to develop.

Yes Boss!

Good lord. $200 is not that bad. Just for collector purposes alone. It comes with a facsimile of the Neo Stick, and Cyber Lip and Nam-1975. That right there is good enough for me. All I'm hoping for is decent emulation. That said, it reeks a little of the plug-n-play units so hopefully the quality is there.

I'm on board.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, things like Virtual Console and PSN offer Neo Geo titles for 7 / 9 dollars a pop. Here, you get 20 games, and the ability to play the games as either a portable thing, or on a full on TV. Even comes with a joystick (Which could cost 30 / 60 dollars by itself, if not more, if it's of a decent quality).

If all this hardware if of quality, this actually sounds like a fantastic deal. Especially if it'll give them a legit way to release things like Samurai Shodown 5 special, 6, and maybe Neo Geo Pocket Emulation.

It really, really depends on how everything past the initial release is priced. I'd love to see all the games that PSN has gotten through Mini (Bermuda Triangle, Preistoric Isle) Get released on this thing, with true 2 player.

If it was JUST a portable system, and no included games, I'd find this price pretty bad. But with 20 included games, and TV play out the box, it actually looks like a pretty decent value.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Wait, why on earth is that thing widescreen? I thought all the AES titles were 4:3.

Because widescreen screens are all what's being made nowadays, and at very low cost.

Like this JXD S601 unit: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/jxd-s6...ole-w-wifi-tf-black-cortex-a9-1ghz-4gb-115344

sku_115344_1.jpg

Please tell me you're joking? You really can't see how bad that is? Samsung would agree it's a rip off.

No, sorry, I am not really joking.
Saying this thing rips off the look of the iPhone 4 is almost like saying the iPhone 4 rips off the look of the PSP Slim.
At least in my opinion.

Either way, I don't care if it really rips off the look. I like the design. I also like the iPhone's design. They still look different to me.
For one, the iPhone only has one button.

Seems like an interesting concept! The games listed aren't my cup of tea but hopefully something good might come around.

Folks here have speculated on the idea of a mobile and console convergence via handheld and docking station or similar, right? It'll be interesting to see how convenient this will be, particularly for those that want to play on a TV and then abruptly take their game on the go (assuming that docking and undocking doesn't require the handheld to shut off or anything like that).

Looks awesome, I will probably try to get one, but I might wait for a review just make sure it's a quality product with perfect emulation.

Vitacat

It's pretty damn cheap by Neo Geo standards.

Except it's NOT a real NeoGeo.

It's an emulation device, and an irreverent one at that. The widescreen alone shows they didn't give a crap about details. And anyone actually expecting NeoGeo Pocket quality controls is kidding themselves.

This is not an SNK system. Just an overpriced piece of licensed junk.

Yes Boss!

Except it's NOT a real NeoGeo.

It's an emulation device, and an irreverent one at that. The widescreen alone shows they didn't give a crap about details. And anyone actually expecting NeoGeo Pocket quality controls is kidding themselves.

This is not an SNK system. Just an overpriced piece of licensed junk.

But nobody has played it yet. Jumping the gun. All things point to a cheapy emu device but better to wait till december till folks get hands on. We know nothing about emulation quality, HDMI-out quality, or even build quality of the joystick (if it is Exar quality it will be more than serviceable). And SNK has done pretty well with their licences this gen with VC/PSN/iOS.

Seik

Banned
But nobody has played it yet. Jumping the gun. All things point to a cheapy emu device but better to wait till december till folks get hands on. We know nothing about emulation quality, HDMI-out quality, or even build quality of the joystick (if it is Exar quality it will be more than serviceable). And SNK has done pretty well with their licences this gen with VC/PSN/iOS.

I'm not sure if he's jumping any gun.

Like the quote below, if this thing is made by BLAZE, we're off to a bad start.

Oh, Blaze. The company that keeps releasing those portable Mega Drive's and Master System's with completely broken emulation. Great!

511QX3erY7L.jpg

This shit is shit, I tried the Genesis one. The sound is just SO off key, its just shit...

Listen to that mess: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuZfRbvzWcI&t=6m5s

For the price it better be damn perfect emulation or a bunch of people will be angry.

Yes Boss!

I'm not sure if he's jumping any gun.

Like the quote below, if this thing is made by BLAZE, we're off to a bad start.

This shit is shit, I tried it. The sound is just SO off key, its just shit...

For the price it better be damn perfect emulation or a bunch of people will be angry.

Not to disagree, but it is only distributed by Blaze (EU), Tommo in NA.

Just saying. Good to remain hopefull for a product put out by SNK Playmore. Seems like an honest attempt at least.

This is niche...if the small group of fans smell foul it won't go anywhere anyways.

klee123

This is all so sad. Neo Geo Station ports are where it's at. I guess they were a bit expensive to develop.

Maybe if they actually released some of the more popular titles, then they might have seen better sales. The service is still missing Samurai Shodown 2 FFS.

Really, expecting people to go crazy with the old releases like AoF 1 and FF1, what were they expecting? VC is much easier to deal with since it's essentially just a rom dump for the service.

Would instabuy if I could buy and download any game for the system.
3/4 of those 20 preloaded games I'm not interested in playing. For most of those preloaded games/genres there are NeoGeo games that are MUCH better.

IThis shit is shit, I tried the Genesis one. The sound is just SO off key, its just shit...

Listen to that mess: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuZfRbvzWcI&t=6m5s

Even with the stick and docking station included, the price of the NGX has me expecting something of higher quality than that.

That vid still has me nervous though. The NGX could just as easily do all the right things as all the wrong things, we just don't know. I will remain slightly optimistic.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I honestly wish I cared about any of the games, because I think the device + kit looks sexy as hell. Reminds me of a GBM.

I'll buy one if it ever hits $100. Maybe even $150... I don't know if I'm sold at $200, especially when I could give a flip about the included games. I've got zero nostalgia for the Neo Geo.

If the emulation is perfect and you can get more games later on, it's not a bad deal. Hell even if you can't get more games for it later, it's still not totally outlandish, considering what Neo Geo titles go for on XBLA/PSN/VC.

I think free to play games and MAME have warped some people's minds, or at the very least their concept of value.

Exr

Can't get excited for the same games they always decide to release, but the potential for this really has me excited. If I can get Garou, Last Blade and Neo Turf Masters on this it's day 1.

Top Bottom