• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo X Gold portable console details and price announced!

Agent X

Yeah, that packaging looks nice.

I'd love to know if true 4:3 mode is supported. Ideally, the handheld should offer multiple display options similar to the SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 on PSP:

• 4:3 at original pixel resolution (1:1 pixel mapping)
  • 4:3 expanded to the top and bottom borders
  • full 16:9 widescreen stretch

The docking base has HDMI in addition to composite A/V, so I'm also interested in the quality of the video output on both of these.

Shoyz

Did I read before that the X stick runs off of USB? I'd love to double-dip and use the controller on PC as well.

Looks like Amazon is the one to go for, 1-day shipping is only $10.

I want to see the damn thing already, real and good pics of the dock and controller, i don´t care about the portable itself, is all about the dock + controller to me

Yeah, it's USB.

So if Amazon is offering the Ninja Master's card, and GameStop.com has been all along, so I wonder if GameStop in-store will as well, despite the website claming it's an online exclusive? Seems weird that the only way to not get the card would be buying it through B&M.

Aaron

Yeah, it's USB.

So if Amazon is offering the Ninja Master's card, and GameStop.com has been all along, so I wonder if GameStop in-store will as well, despite the website claming it's an online exclusive? Seems weird that the only way to not get the card would be buying it through B&M.
Considering it's on the box, you'll probably get it with the first run anywhere.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I still feel uncomfortable about this project. Selecting the wrong screen aspect ratio leads me to question the quality of the entire system, actually. They clearly made a decision at odds with the original games.

Yes Boss!

I still feel uncomfortable about this project. Selecting the wrong screen aspect ratio leads me to question the quality of the entire system, actually. They clearly made a decision at odds with the original games.

Truly brings the project into question. I mean, this is only for 4:3 content.

Luckily, amazon has preorders up which make for an easy, easy cancellation if there is no option ro display OAR.

Galdelico

Same here.
And I really need some actual information about emulation/settings/ect. I'm gonna get it only if quality will be on par/better than NeoGeo Station.

Truly brings the project into question. I mean, this is only for 4:3 content.

Luckily, amazon has preorders up which make for an easy, easy cancellation if there is no option ro display OAR.

Plus there's no indication the makers care about accurate emulation.

Also i want some professional analysis on the emulation this thing delivers, is it perfect? And i want some kind of a release calendar for upcoming games. If this thing is dead in the water and there will be zero games to be released i'm not dropping this amount of money just to play Last Resort which i already have on MVS too :D

Veal

What are the chances that SNK might port some of their newer games to the handheld if it's a success? That alone could justify the 16:9 screen. Real portable KOF13 would be sooooo good!

Peagles

I haven't - what's the issue?

They're pretty terrible. I have both a handheld one and a console one, and the emulation is pretty bad. It's okay to bring out if I can't be bothered hauling out the Mega Drive, but the sound is totally off, and the image quality isn't great either.

Let me try find a video to demonstrate the sound, if I can't find one I'll try record one when I plug it in next.

Okay this is a pretty good example if you're familiar with how Sonic 2 should sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK4KjYG7DzQ On the handheld the image isn't too bad.

If you aren't familiar, this is the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cr1rqVcIhA

hwy_61

Banned
Also, no Neo Turf Masters? :(

MAH MAN!

JnoNs.jpg

Shoyz

Man the thought of getting to emulate the NGP library, getting to play all those obscenely rare games like Cotton, all with the clicky stick..

and a backlight! Really hope homebrew is possible.

Hellraizah

What are the chances that SNK might port some of their newer games to the handheld if it's a success? That alone could justify the 16:9 screen. Real portable KOF13 would be sooooo good!

That would be awesome. I think that the reason for the 16:9 screen might be because of production problems or cost with 4:3 screens. Since mostly everyone moved to widescreen, I guess manufacturers of LCD screens aren't producing them anymore?

d0c_zaius

I've been looking into this, but I was wondering if the console part of the bundle also plays AES carts? or does it just plug into the portable.

sorry if this was asked before.

Why are they bundling the console and the portable together?

Edit: Wait, I see, the "station" is just an oversized docking port for the portable to appear on TVs and charge, and to use the joystick with it. I thought you could plug original Neo-Geo cartridges directly into it.

oh so its been confirmed its just a charging base then? damn.

Just got the following email from Andrew Wang @ Tommo in response to my aspect ratio question:

Andrew Wang said:
Hi metsallica,

Thank you very much for your interest in our product.

There is indeed an option to play the games on the NEOGEO X Handheld in 4:3 aspect ration[sic], in this mode some portions of the screen are unused.
WOO HOO! Fears (mostly) put to rest!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks for asking!

Though I'm surprised anyone thought otherwise...

No mention of there being any way to cover those "unused" portions of the screen with a wallpaper or something... oh well, no biggy.

Well, one more issue out of the way! Now maybe we'll hear about their future game release plans sometime soon...

Top Bottom