• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo X Gold portable console details and price announced!

Saw this facebook post from another group that is defending Tommo:
https://www.facebook.com/NeoGeoFreak/posts/545124572222678?notif_t=like

I had no idea NeoGeo history was fraught with so much angst.

You clearly have never been to Neo-Geo.com before, then. Neo-Geo.com forum members have pretty much hated NeoGeoFreak for many years, so if NGF is supporting Tommo, that's just another sign of how badly Tommo has alienated the Neo-Geo fan community...

In this case, if you go to neo-geo.com you'll find anti-NeoGeoFreak stuff from at least 2000, maybe even earlier, for their selling conversions and such (taking one AES game and replacing the roms with some other, higher-value title and then selling that, I believe).

And yes, it's definitely a community infamous for its drama.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You clearly have never been to Neo-Geo.com before, then. Neo-Geo.com forum members have pretty much hated NeoGeoFreak for many years, so if NGF is supporting Tommo, that's just another sign of how badly Tommo has alienated the Neo-Geo fan community...

In this case, if you go to neo-geo.com you'll find anti-NeoGeoFreak stuff from at least 2000, maybe even earlier, for their selling conversions and such (taking one AES game and replacing the roms with some other, higher-value title and then selling that, I believe).

And yes, it's definitely a community infamous for its drama.
Maybe it's best I stay ignorant then. lol

stewy

Are there FW issues with all the launch units? I bought one pretty close to launch and I can play the mega pack just fine.

Well, this has forced my hand. I was hoping to pick up the Mega Pack for $50 or so when the price (eventually) dropped, but with this news I just placed my order for it through hkgames on ebay... I'm sure they'll ship whatever they've sold before returning any excess stock to Tommo. In the end this thing cost more than I'd hoped, and it's not all that I'd hoped, but it's still too cool to pass up, and I'm not going to miss out on the mega pack and firmware upgrade...

BTW, I bought mine at launch and I have firmware 3.70. Not all launch systems have the older firmware.

Slermy

Finally got around to checking my firmware. 370, so I guess I'm good. *PHEW*

This is a launch unit by the way.

I agree Blue Submarine No. 6, I was hoping to grab this much cheaper, but don't want to risk loosing out on it.

Yes Boss!

Finally got around to checking my firmware. 370, so I guess I'm good. *PHEW*

This is a launch unit by the way.

I agree Blue Submarine No. 6, I was hoping to grab this much cheaper, but don't want to risk loosing out on it.

I'm in the same boat. Launch unit and 370.

But there is a newer update, right? Only available by buying one of the game packs?

Are there FW issues with all the launch units? I bought one pretty close to launch and I can play the mega pack just fine.

Only unit with fw 3.37. I pre-order my NGX and that's how I got it. I read from a NGX community website that Tommo would find a solution for 3.37 user to update the fw w/o sending it back to them. That never happened. Considering now SNKP basically pulled the plug, I doubt if Tommo will give a fuck about their customer anymore.

I will keep my 3.37 NGX for hacking purpose. I heard about sd card mod but it sounds unstable and have a chance to brick my NGX so I'll wait until somebody can come with a more reliable method before I try.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This news have me on the edge of pulling the trigger. How are the buttons on the handheld itself? That's probably how it would get the most playtime. Also, I'm I screwed if I buy the console and it doesn't come with the latest firmware?

Galdelico

Ok SNKP. Now, please, go to M2's offices, bring some money (I guess it won't take more than what you already wasted for this fiasco) and start the NeoGeo Station project over again. Just, don't forget to bring it on the e-Shop too (especially 3DS' e-Shop), ok?

You already had in your hands the perfect formula to combine easy profit and the sheer quality to make even NG purists happy. And yeah, you dropped it all in favour of this piece of crap.

Please, don't fuck it up twice.

PS - I'm sorry for the fellow gaffers, but it genuinely came out from the bottom of my heart.

Ok SNKP. Now, please, go to M2's offices, bring some money (I guess it won't take more than what you already wasted for this fiasco) and start the NeoGeo Station project over again. Just, don't forget to bring it on the e-Shop too (especially 3DS' e-Shop), ok?

You already had in your hands the perfect formula to combine easy profit and the sheer quality to make even NG purists happy. And yeah, you dropped it all in favour of this piece of crap.

Please, don't fuck it up twice.

PS - I'm sorry for the fellow gaffers, but it genuinely came out from the bottom of my heart.

Agreed. There are plenty of $200 devices that can do 100% perfect emulation of this at 1080p, and you can charge $10 per game. I've paid that much to get easy access to Darkstalkers and Jojo, I could certainly pay the same for Garou, RBS, KoF98 and many more.

I wanted to play some Garou today, but the PS2 isn't connected, the MVS cart is glitchy and I can't be bothered to hook the 360 back up. And I think I may have sold the Dreamcast version. There is definitely a need for another Garou release :D.

Jetman

Ugh. Inevitable at this point I suppose.
Thanks for the heads up- ordered the MegaPack Vol. 1 just now off Amazon before it gets pulled..,

sibarraz

Banned
for collection purposes is this thing worthy?

I still want to play with the portable at least, but don't know, the original snk logo is too sexy to ignore

kyoya

I've read that the Neogeo X arcade stick can be plugged into a PS3 and PC. Does anyone know if the Neogeo X arcade stick is compatible with the PS2 or any other console USB port?

Well I recieved my MegaPack Vol. 1 in the mail last week, and now I've had some time to get the firmware updated (and that's a hack & a half process, I tell you) and play a few of the titles I can say I'm right chuffed. It's a big improvement over the original system, and play Mark of the Wolves with a Neo Geo Pocket-style stick is worth it all...

Celine

So how is the emulation with the latest firmware?
I'm still tempted to buy the thing especially if I could find it for around 100 euro.

Mind you I would use it only attached to the TV.

I planned to get that mega pack but then I realized I was shit out of luck because I had fw 3.37. What a bunch of bullshit. So I did myself a favor and got this instead

V

9gza.jpg
That's beautiful!
I wish I had the guts to buy that Omega CMVS (it's pricey although quality seems high).

To play the Mega pack, you need to update fw that comes with the cartridge. Problem is, only Neo Geo X handheld with fw 3.7 can be updated. If you bought the NGX at launch as I did, your NGX fw is 3.37 and there is no way to update it, which mean you can not play the Mega pack cartridge. The only way to solve this is sending the 3.37 NGX to Tommo and they will send you a new NGX with 3.7 fw but the process takes weeks and you pay for shipping and handling.
What !?
That's unacceptable!

How could they fucked up that badly.

Top Bottom