• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Neo' & 'Neophyte' Members - New Thread Requests, Full Members Will Post on Your Behalf

Mista

Banned
Good question.

The hidden secrets of society?
How to chat to anybody and not feel social awkward, nerds hate him!
Come on people now, people now, driving hybrid people now.
Chat up women like a pro, Hookers hate him!

Honestly, I don't know. Something not shit. Halp?
How to not be awkward socially?

Can we have a thread where we can ask questions without the threat of a ban.

Like, the last time I saw gaf you were banned if you said you wouldn't fuck laura kate dale. Now there's a butt thread and open discussion.

While i'm not so much of a pussy that having my account banned would be the end of the world, I would like to be able to post during E3. The speculation threads are cool.

So yeah, honest open question thread. Can that be a thang?

Mista

Banned
Can we have a thread where we can ask questions without the threat of a ban.

Like, the last time I saw gaf you were banned if you said you wouldn't fuck laura kate dale. Now there's a butt thread and open discussion.

While i'm not so much of a pussy that having my account banned would be the end of the world, I would like to be able to post during E3. The speculation threads are cool.

So yeah, honest open question thread. Can that be a thang?
Kinda weird but I’ll give you what you want. Hit me up with a title, thread context and I’ll post it on your behalf.

bigbeefandcheddar

Neo Member
Really wish I made an account years ago.

I've played Gears 5 several times as a part of development and the changes to MP are just bad, and feedback isn't being taken seriously enough.

• No more map based weapon pickups, now ammo spawns on maps in boxes like the campaign, where some boxes have ammo for specific weapon types.
  • Characters selected in MP have different gameplay altering attributes. (Health, Speed, in-game buy-able weapons etc)
  • Weapons are bought using tokens earned by getting kills in match. Each character can buy 3 weapons of different effectiveness.
As of this moment, this is not a game mode. This is default.

cant post on politics but I wanted to point out that the ars technica guy that's a pedo has/had a gaf account, under the username dr pizza or something similar.

Mista

Banned
cant post on politics but I wanted to point out that the ars technica guy that's a pedo has/had a gaf account, under the username dr pizza or something similar.
I suggest you report your post and write a note so the mods sees it

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Cupace2019051718460001.png

Aestheticisms

Neo Member
Title: Maximum Skill Across "Game" Genres

I. How does the realistic ceiling for each genre compare at the international level?
(This question applies for competitive tournaments as well as world-record speedruns, where there may be clear gaps among even top-ranked players and several orders of magnitude in "domination" between subsequent tiers.)

Highest skill cap:

Lowest skill cap:

Please do vote in both surveys above, so that we can examine each end of the spectrum.

II. For reference - here are some arbitrary examples, based on my attempt at a rough classification:

adventure & VN: Ace Attorney, Dear Esther, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Myst
board: Backgammon, Catan, Chess, Diplomacy, Go, Othello, Scrabble, Risk, Shogi
card: Baccarat, Blackjack, Bridge, Magic: The Gathering, Mahjong, Poker, Yu-Gi-Oh!
fighting: Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat, Super Smash Bros., Street Fighter, Tekken
fight-person shooter: BioShock, Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, Doom, OverWatch, Quake
logic & puzzle: Angry Birds, Bejeweled, Minesweeper, Portal, Sokoban, Sudoku, Tetris
open-world: Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Grand Theft Auto, Legend of Zelda, Minecraft
programming: AtCoder, Codeforces, Google Code Jam, Project Euler, SPOJ, TopCoder
racing & sports: FIFA, Madden NFL, Mario Kart, Need for Speed, NBA, Wii Sports
rhythm: Cytus, Dance Dance Revolution, osu!, O2Jam, Rock Band, StepMania, Taiko
RPG: Diablo, Fallout, Final Fantasy, Persona, Pokémon, Runescape, World of Warcraft
simulation: Europa, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Roller Coaster Tycoon, The Sims
strategy: Age of Empires, Civilization, Dota, League of Legends, Red Alert, StarCraft
third-person shooter: Fortnite, Gears of War, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Touhou

III. Aggregate ranking methodology:

I deliberately made two separate polls for statistical reasons (which are slightly subtle, as simply reversing the order in one won't necessarily match the other's results). Essentially, there is bound to be representation bias, since more popular genres that people are familiar with will tend to receive more superlative nominations. There is a way to control for the varying sample sizes, and I will reveal it with an updated ranking once more data is collected. Thanks!

ShadowFX

Hello! I would like to post a new |OT| for Gaming. I have already created a well thought out template and contents. The thing is that I have a certain layout I want to use but I'm not sure how to test it properly on the forum. Can anyone help me to get me started? Thanks!

Yasuke

Neo Member
I would like to create a simple off-topic thread
Titled: Do you think in images , words , or something else??

Topic: When playing video games what kind of thoughts go through your mind
are you thinking in images (visualizing the next move) , thinking in words( inner monologue of what's happening) , or are you just immersed in the game
and thinking of absolutely nothing and just in the present moment and fully immersed ?
How about outside of gaming are your thoughts relatively the same?

Mista

Banned
Hello! I would like to post a new |OT| for Gaming. I have already created a well thought out template and contents. The thing is that I have a certain layout I want to use but I'm not sure how to test it properly on the forum. Can anyone help me to get me started? Thanks!
I would like to create a simple off-topic thread
Titled: Do you think in images , words , or something else??

Topic: When playing video games what kind of thoughts go through your mind
are you thinking in images (visualizing the next move) , thinking in words( inner monologue of what's happening) , or are you just immersed in the game
and thinking of absolutely nothing and just in the present moment and fully immersed ?
How about outside of gaming are your thoughts relatively the same?
I’ll gladly create the thread for you lads. PM everything and I’ll post it on your behalf :)

jamesmh

Neo Member
Hey everyone i'm a newbie but keen to create a thread to find out about the tools that other game devs and writers use to make their stories (^_^)/?

Title: What tools/software do you use to write complex game storylines?

Post: Hey everyone, my first post because I’m curious about the tools that other game developers and writers use to make their stories. I currently work as a writer in an Australian game studio. I have a background in writing and developing stories for Films and TV but I’ve found the switch to game writing to be challenging and increasingly time consuming. We have been experimenting with different models and techniques for writing outside the writer’s room pen and paper stuff, particularly different ways of visualising or modelling stories, potential character arcs etc. I was wondering if anyone has used any software or tools they recommend?

Helios

Hey everyone i'm a newbie but keen to create a thread to find out about the tools that other game devs and writers use to make their stories (^_^)/?

Title: What tools/software do you use to write complex game storylines?

Post: Hey everyone, my first post because I’m curious about the tools that other game developers and writers use to make their stories. I currently work as a writer in an Australian game studio. I have a background in writing and developing stories for Films and TV but I’ve found the switch to game writing to be challenging and increasingly time consuming. We have been experimenting with different models and techniques for writing outside the writer’s room pen and paper stuff, particularly different ways of visualising or modelling stories, potential character arcs etc. I was wondering if anyone has used any software or tools they recommend?
Done

Shaunagon

Neo Member
Hi
Im looking for some help finding an old game.
I remember very little details so you’ll have to bare with.
I remember ;
. It was a RPG /JRPG
. It was on PS4 /XBOX360- probably the latter
. Character wise -
There was a blonde woman who had an affinity for water / ice. She had a bow, a flute and like ice skating as weapons. She had these crystal like formations on her head too
. I vaguely remember a female character with pink hair who was either a healer or used wind magic. I’m not sure on this
Any help would be amazing

Helios

Hi
Im looking for some help finding an old game.
I remember very little details so you’ll have to bare with.
I remember ;
. It was a RPG /JRPG
. It was on PS4 /XBOX360- probably the latter
. Character wise -
There was a blonde woman who had an affinity for water / ice. She had a bow, a flute and like ice skating as weapons. She had these crystal like formations on her head too
. I vaguely remember a female character with pink hair who was either a healer or used wind magic. I’m not sure on this
Any help would be amazing
No idea about the game, sorry. You might have more luck in this thread

Last edited:

Toecutter

Wasn't sure where to post this without necro-ing an ancient thread, but there's a great Humble Bundle deal going for Crusader Kings 2 and all the major DLC at the moment.

If you haven't already got it, that much DLC for that price is a bargain!

Humble Crusader Kings II Bundle

Yasuke

Neo Member
I would like to create an off-topic post

Titled : Are you chest breather of belly breather ?

Topic : I have heard that natural breathing should be in the belly. I'm curious to know how mant people are naturally belly breathers.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Bumping this thread since we seem to have a lot of new members saying Hello.

I would like to create an off-topic post

Titled : Are you chest breather of belly breather ?

Topic : I have heard that natural breathing should be in the belly. I'm curious to know how mant people are naturally belly breathers.
Gotcha covered.

Lee Bee

Neo Member
I signed up to this forum wanting to ask a question. Now I find out that new members can't post new threads. There's no FAQ and no explanation of why such measures are in place, or how many posts you need before you can start a thread.

Seriously, why is everything so cloak and dagger here? I honestly don't get why a videogames forum would be so snooty and unfriendly. I've been members of various videogames forums in the past and they have always welcomed new members with open arms and great enthusiasm. In a sense, videogames fans are like one big family, united by our love of games. I just don't see what the reason is to alienate new members.

I'm just sharing my thoughts candidly for what it's worth as I'm not sure this is the kind of community for me. The sterile, white site design also suggests a lack of friendliness. There isn't much visual sense of fun here. Just being candid as I don't think I'll be sticking around and feedback like this may be helpful. Or not.

I mean this is basically a site about toys for children. (Which some of us still play with as adults.) But it all seems ultra-serious!? Something just doesn't add up here.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
I signed up to this forum wanting to ask a question. Now I find out that new members can't post new threads. There's no FAQ and no explanation of why such measures are in place, or how many posts you need before you can start a thread.

Seriously, why is everything so cloak and dagger here? I honestly don't get why a videogames forum would be so snooty and unfriendly. I've been members of various videogames forums in the past and they have always welcomed new members with open arms and great enthusiasm. In a sense, videogames fans are like one big family, united by our love of games. I just don't see what the reason is to alienate new members.

I'm just sharing my thoughts candidly for what it's worth as I'm not sure this is the kind of community for me. The sterile, white site design also suggests a lack of friendliness. There isn't much visual sense of fun here. Just being candid as I don't think I'll be sticking around and feedback like this may be helpful. Or not.

I mean this is basically a site about toys for children. (Which some of us still play with as adults.) But it all seems ultra-serious!? Something just doesn't add up here.

It's to keep down the spam/trolling. It doesn't take long to become a full member. All you have to do is be fairly active, and be here a while.

What doesn't add up?

Last edited:

flossinguy2k9

Neo Member
can someone post this in off-topic discussion about nipsey hussle artist WALI DA GREAT song video similar to YG meet the flockers song/video

flossinguy2k9

Neo Member

Yeah i notice that too and their forums like that who are picking and choosing which members to allow. I haven't gotten the vibe of unfriendlyness but everytime a forum makes new members not post threads that is red flag then again it might be to avoid spam even then the spam/trolls would get banned not punish new members who looking to connect.

But atleast your post shows their someone looking for a well friendly community please keep us updated i dont want be alone with unfriendly people(if its true lol)

Yasuke

Neo Member
I would like to post an off-topic discussion

Titled : what is the difference between daydreaming and normal thinking/thoughts?

Post: Curious on what is considered a daydream vs a regular thought ? Does the fact you have a mental movie going on in your head mean your daydreaming ? Are normal thoughts just word based ?

I would like to post an off-topic discussion

Titled : what is the difference between daydreaming and normal thinking/thoughts?

Post: Curious on what is considered a daydream vs a regular thought ? Does the fact you have a mental movie going on in your head mean your daydreaming ? Are normal thoughts just word based ?
Got you, fam!

Erik 3636

Neo Member
I would like a thread on the gaming board

Title: Games you thought were gonna have a bad story but turned out great.

Post: Was there ever a game that made you think twice about your initial impressions?

Can someone post a thread on the gaming discussion for me?

It's called "which of the following developers has the highest chance of having the biggest cock?"

The list of developers are:
  1. Hideo Kojima
  2. Hidetaka Miyazaki
  3. Sean Murray
  4. Cory Balrog
  5. Dan Houser
  6. Ken Levine
  7. Peter North
  8. Todd Howard
  9. Jonathan Blow
  10. Shaun Escayg (He's Black.)
Wtf was wrong with me during that time?
floyd.png

kassj0peja

Neo Member
I would like a thread on the gaming forum (actually two). For bumping an old thread I got some not so nice reactions. But I am reading on this forum for many years and recently gaming (because of Shenmue, MClassic and new gadgets for retrogaming on modern screens) became more important for me. So I would like to be an active member and contribute to the community.

Title: Do you try to get the best and a lagless experience out of your old games on your modern big screen?

Consoles without a digital output get less and less 'compatible' with modern screens. The image is stretched and there is input latency.
With the MClassic and the possibility to upscale 480p content to 1440p I became very interested again in using my old consoles. In the last few years affordable devices like the OSSC and Retrotink 2X appeared and offer lagless experiences on modern big screens via HDMI. But to get the best results good cables (old ones which became expensive or newly devoloped ones), adapters or modifications (HDMI, consolizung, RGB) are required and they sum up. Another way to play old games are FPGA consoles which are not actual hardware but at least allow you to use your old carts.

I am still doing research which setup provides good solutions without spending too much. The MClassic I will be using on more modern machines too. A combination with the OSSC or the Retrotink sounds very promising. But then there is the question if I should upgrade to better cables.

How do you play your old games on modern screens? Dont you even mind the input lag or a stretched picture. Or did you change the setup so much that you spent more money on your old consoles than a new console costs?

Helios

I would like a thread on the gaming forum (actually two). For bumping an old thread I got some not so nice reactions. But I am reading on this forum for many years and recently gaming (because of Shenmue, MClassic and new gadgets for retrogaming on modern screens) became more important for me. So I would like to be an active member and contribute to the community.

Title: Do you try to get the best and a lagless experience out of your old games on your modern big screen?

Consoles without a digital output get less and less 'compatible' with modern screens. The image is stretched and there is input latency.
With the MClassic and the possibility to upscale 480p content to 1440p I became very interested again in using my old consoles. In the last few years affordable devices like the OSSC and Retrotink 2X appeared and offer lagless experiences on modern big screens via HDMI. But to get the best results good cables (old ones which became expensive or newly devoloped ones), adapters or modifications (HDMI, consolizung, RGB) are required and they sum up. Another way to play old games are FPGA consoles which are not actual hardware but at least allow you to use your old carts.

I am still doing research which setup provides good solutions without spending too much. The MClassic I will be using on more modern machines too. A combination with the OSSC or the Retrotink sounds very promising. But then there is the question if I should upgrade to better cables.

How do you play your old games on modern screens? Dont you even mind the input lag or a stretched picture. Or did you change the setup so much that you spent more money on your old consoles than a new console costs?
Done

dase211

Neo Member
I'd like a thread. Here it is:

Title: Nice looking DOS games

789-space-quest-iv-roger-wilco-and-the-time-rippers-dos-screenshot.gif
735230-space-quest-v-the-next-mutation-dos-screenshot-roger-is-taking.png
735151-sam-max-hit-the-road-dos-screenshot-starting-in-the-office.png
3504-maniac-mansion-day-of-the-tentacle-dos-screenshot-the-beginning.gif

58869-j-bird-pc-booter-screenshot-starting-a-new-game.gif
560131-lychnis-dos-screenshot-character-selection.png
700234-the-dig-dos-screenshot-one-of-the-first-locations-you-ll-explore.png
2837-out-of-this-world-dos-screenshot-you-find-yourself-in-a-strange.gif

819-prince-of-persia-dos-screenshot-the-search-for-your-mirror-image.gif
954428-prince-of-persia-2-the-shadow-the-flame-dos-screenshot-it.png
3063-super-tetris-dos-screenshot-level-5.gif
322576-tetris-classic-dos-screenshot-game-over.png

10486-return-of-the-phantom-dos-screenshot-investigating-suspects.gif
1985-alone-in-the-dark-dos-screenshot-entering-the-house-what-lies.gif

A pick of nice looking DOS games I found randomly.
I've played some of these before.

ShadowFX

I'd like a thread. Here it is:

Title: Nice looking DOS games

A pick of nice looking DOS games I found randomly.
I've played some of these before.
Posted!

Last edited:
Top Bottom