• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2.0.0.1 Update: A Space Odyssey

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
My first kneejerk reaction is that the navbar on the left takes up too much screen real estate (I'm viewing on a laptop). I might feel differently after getting used to the new design but that's my first and strongest impression.

Press the hamburger menu in the top left; the navigation bar will minimize into the left of your browser window.

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
Yeah. I really hate it too. this is the same thing as the chrome update and the youtube update and the reddit update. which I all install plugins for to revert them

this just hurts my eyes. am not using this website anymore sorry

I have tested the dark theme in every environment I could find. Including complete darkness.

Is there a chance you have not enabled it at the bottom?

Last edited:

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
-- I am taking all the feedback posted here into a list of things to consider amongst the admin team. Please continue to leave candid constructive feedback, and I will answer the questions I can. I've set aside a few hours for this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
We'll get some of that orange font in thread interiors matching the blue we updated the thread list to for legibility on light theme (consistent with dark theme's current state), noted.

Lookin' good. A few more suggestions:
  • I'd really really like to have links to gaming, off-topic and politics in the top bar. As it stands, it is mostly empty anyway. I'm not a big fan of the sidebar because I read from left to right and it gets in my way. I know you can blend it out, but switching it on and off is a bit of a hassle.
  • The "dark theme" needs a bit of work. Dark grey icons and text (new message & text editor for example) on a dark background isn't so great. Also, the orange line around the text editor is kinda weird.
  • The "likes" should be displayed on the right side, right above the like-button.
  • The white background for the emoticons is also quite jarring.
  • "Insert link" and "Insert image" also have white backgrounds, contrary to the other edit buttons.
Py4Qjjx.jpg

As for the rest, I like it so far. Good readability and clean design. Keep up the good work (y)

bitbydeath

Yeah. I really hate it too. this is the same thing as the chrome update and the youtube update and the reddit update. which I all install plugins for to revert them

this just hurts my eyes. am not using this website anymore sorry

I recommend trying the dark theme if you haven't already.

MetalSlug

Every time Youtube changes I dislike it, but I always end up preferring it in the end. I'm sure I'll be the same with this.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Another thing I would say about the hamburger button ... it adds at least one extra click when swapping between sub-forums. I used to just have to mouse up to the top and click the sub-forum I wanted to go to. Now I have to mouse up to the top, click hamburger, then click the sub-forum I want, then click the hamburger again to get rid of it.

This might not seem significant to some but for people who click around a lot (like me) I can see it taking away from the user experience.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
strange headache strange headache Agreed on quick links for main forum areas on top nav, that's a priority to-do list item. Will let desktop users keep the sidebar closed if they choose and navigate GAF the classic section-jump way that I've been accustomed to for a couple decades, yeah.

Other issues you've noted we'll go over in detail in the coming days, thanks for the detailed feedback. :goog_horns:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I like it. Everything is nice and quick.

Suggestion - on mobile to see my alerts I have to open up the hamburger menu to see if I have alerts. Can that just be moved to the top of the main bar...main site heading I guess it would be called? Alerts should be visible without having to go look for them.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I think the light version is a tad too light.
Something about it just looks incredibly bright.

Maybe the greys just need to be slightly darker... not sure

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Just a random observation after using the new site a bit:

I LOVE the slight shadowing / box effect each post gets. Very subtle and makes the demarcation between posts even easier to see than before.

Blam

Damn I'm seriously loving this interface. One thing I'd suggested is a fixed width mode to the UI when the sidebar is and isn't out.

It is a tad bit wide, but other then that it looks fantastic!

Also please cross a line between pinned threads, as it becomes hard to notice it as it only shows that small red line.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Love it 🙂 Love the orange and the font ☺️

It's nice seeing so many old members who haven't been here since Oct. 2017 looking at the site again.

Yes... I see you :messenger_heart: Yes you, right meow :messenger_smiling_horns:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Damn I'm seriously loving this interface. One thing I'd suggested is a fixed width mode to the UI when the sidebar is and isn't out.

It is a tad bit wide, but other then that it looks fantastic!

We have a toggle between fixed width and stretch to width that got mysteriously killed somewhere, no worries, that's part of our core features and just needs its button restored. ;b

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
Is it even possible to change the avatars back to square, Mr Lore?

Right now we're dumping all the feedback into a list to be sorted.

That may be a feature restored or addressed in the future. At the moment it wouldn't make sense to comment on further possible or upcoming changes.

:lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Right now we're dumping all the feedback into a list to be sorted.

That may be a feature restored or addressed in the future. At the moment it wouldn't make sense to comment on further possible or upcoming changes.

:lollipop_tears_of_joy:

So it is at least possible? That's good to know.

Square avatar is so yesteryear but my avatar isn't working properly.

What's to like about having the image cut off at the corners? It ruins mine and I really liked my current avatar alot.

Blam

We have a toggle between fixed width and stretch to width that got mysteriously killed somewhere, no worries, that's part of our core features and just needs its button restored. ;b
Just a little example for what I meant with the pinned thread and a little change to the create a post at the top.

ADKkEoX.png

This one is uh #312525!important for the color.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Oh god, So much change. I'm not ready for this. I'll wait to make a decision on how I feel, as I'm not a fan of sidebars (which I know I can minimize). I think it's more that I don't like change :messenger_neutral:

Top Bottom