• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2.0.0.1 Update: A Space Odyssey

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think the update looks great generally. Certainly the biggest update since GAF became GAF.

Feedback

- Would like quick buttons to forums on iPad top bar and iPhone bottom bar, so I don’t need to double tap to swap forums
- Would prefer system font (San Francisco). While this font looks cool, it’s far more legible
- The bright NEW text on every post isn’t necessary, I think
- Decide on a colour functionality system. Now Post Reply is orange, and Reply is turquoise. Quotes are orange too. Links are blue or orange. New is turquoise. Likes are blue, as is the Like action. Would be good to dedicate one colour for interactivity / actions, one for links, one for non-interactive furniture.
- I would lose the strokes on the background. They look cool but don’t really serve a purpose.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
I have a hatred for navigation bars, they do nothing but crop the screen. I don't expect an option to hide it, but it would be nice. I can go to the top of the page with a single key command, it's not inconvenient enough to warrant losing ~8% of my screen space. The scrolling behaviour is also weird, because if you scroll quickly from the top of the page it lags behind and calls attention to itself. Actually, it flashes whenever I hit enter in this edit dialogue. Death to nav bars.

I also think it's a poor nav bar, since it doesn't include links to the other forums, which is the thing you'd use it for 90% of the time.

Last edited:
Ok, for such a massive change, this is...impressive. Not a wasted pixel. (Desktop user here)

Bravo guys. Bravo indeed. This slick new layout makes other forums look positively archaic.

One bit of feedback, the search/navigation bar on top is a little bit too thicc and also distracting owing to its dark color on top of the non-dark theme I like to use. If we could minimize it....that would be nice.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
My thoughts exactly, it stinks.

Everything else is fine, but the circular avatars bug me.

I still think too much is cut off.
Yes, agreed. Strange thing to implement since going to a person's profile displays the avatar in a vastly superior way to...circles. This new interface feels comfy first thing I did was hide the sidebar or w/e. Simple=best.

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah. I really hate it too. this is the same thing as the chrome update and the youtube update and the reddit update. which I all install plugins for to revert them

this just hurts my eyes. am not using this website anymore sorry

How about going to settings and changing the theme rather than throwing your rattle there

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
I have a hatred for navigation bars, they do nothing but crop the screen. I don't expect an option to hide it, but it would be nice. I can go to the top of the page with a single key command, it's not inconvenient enough to warrant losing ~8% of my screen space. The scrolling behaviour is also weird, because if you scroll quickly from the top of the page it lags behind and calls attention to itself. Actually, it flashes whenever I hit enter in this edit dialogue. Death to nav bars.

I also think it's a poor nav bar, since it doesn't include links to the other forums, which is the thing you'd use it for 90% of the time.

Yk1tKz5.png

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How about going to settings and changing the theme rather than throwing your rattle there
You can just go to the lower left of any page and click on the theme to change it. Dark theme is neat. More themes in the future would be even better ^^.

A couple more things:

ekmyqru.jpg

The rounded corners around the search box have a different color than the rest.
In the search box "Member" is a lot darker than before and a bit hard to read.
Also, maybe make the white line a darker grey, it is a bit jarring.

Xud55ui.png

Certain orange buttons have white text. Unfortunately, the orange color seems to be a lot brighter than on the old forum, popping out a lot and making it a bit hard to read. Maybe take the orange down a notch or use buttons like the ones in the picture above?

L4Nx0oo.jpg

OlnAPZm.jpg

Not a big fan of the white lines in the alert window. If you have a lot of alerts, it becomes a bit cluttered. Maybe remove them or make them a bit darker? The old alert window was absolutely fine to read without them.

uIkCwWH.jpg

The page links are not consistent. I really like the new ones, but hovering over the different numbers makes your cursor change shape all the time. It's because of the space between numbers, resulting in some kind of weird flickering. Not sure if this is fixable tho and it's only a minor thing.

Some of my feedback is a bit nitpicky, I'm sorry for that because I don't want to come across as negative. I like the new design, especially how things subtly react when you're hovering with the mouse. It makes the demarcation between posts a lot nicer, without separating everything with dreaded lines or boxes.

** mod edit - These specific nitpick feedbacks are specifically useful. Thank you and please keep them coming at your pleasure! -- Avasarala. **/Mod edit

Last edited by a moderator:

Aranea

Everything looks good. The only thing i would like is to have to square avatars back as i'm not a fan of circle avatars.

GenericUser

Bright orange text on white background, Did you hire Bethesdas QA guys for beta testing? Can't see shit.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Looks good, did notice a space was missing under a thread name where it states who replied and when they replied.

EG. Bitbydeath repliedToday

I see it is a Safari feature.

Here's what it looks like in Safari. (Note: After who has replied and the timestamp)

off-topic_discussion_8ed8i.jpg

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
I see it is a Safari feature.

Here's what it looks like in Safari. (Note: After who has replied and the timestamp)

This is actually a mobile vs desktop (or depending on your device, a portrait vs landscape) difference, rather than being a feature specific to any particular browser.

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
Bright orange text on white background, Did you hire Bethesdas QA guys for beta testing? Can't see shit.

Having yet another iterative look at the color schemes within the available themes will be an ongoing development process.

We have a rapidly growing list to be sorted, organized, and systematically addressed. Looking forward to it!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Obviously there's some work to do, but this is NEOGAF. THIS IS NEOUPDATE. THIS IS NEOGOOD.

DilWSTS

Wow very snazzy! will take a while to get used to but i do like that it now looks different to most forums!

Blam

Z8CfsSp.png

Might just be me but I've modified the theme a tiny bit to something more neogaf? Might be changes I'd only be okay with?

theHFIC

I dig the new look. wasn't expecting a change in the middle of a Sunday!

+1 for bringing back the square avatars. other than that, everything looks nice and modern (are we in web 3.0 or 4.0 now??)

The Bans page is unreadable for me with the dark theme. Works fine with the light theme.

On mobile haven’t check desktop

Last edited:

I_D

I'm glad everybody seems to like it, but I'm not a fan.

Can we at least get some options to customize? Maybe just an option to revert to the old settings?

There are quite a few things I don't like about the new look, but the most immediately-fixable one is the font. The 'e' letters, in particular, are really hard to read. I can most likely learn to ignore all of the other flaws, but the font, in particular, is really bad. Maybe my shitty vision simply isn't conducive to this font, but I can't imagine I'm the only person who has a hard time reading it.

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
Z8CfsSp.png

Might just be me but I've modified the theme a tiny bit to something more neogaf? Might be changes I'd only be okay with?

Regarding being 'only ok' with.

Please examine the setup of your browser with which you are logged in. There is already a separator; something is interfering with your display of the site.

Ao44mF7.png

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
One more thing, does anyone else find it difficult to seperate the read from non-read items in the Watched List?

I've made some changes, the difference should be more pronounced now. Further feedback on the matter is of course welcome.

Top Bottom